Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ann Curry: the last few months were torture

Amercia's favorite sobsister now telling secrets about her long goodbye from the Today show.

Shouldn't she be down in West, TX holding hands with the victims? Or is she all tied-up in Boston, interviewing folks in their very living rooms?

by Anonymousreply 7207/20/2013

As I watched that day, I could see Ann was sitting there seeing her dark future reflected in Matt Lauer's crystal bald.

by Anonymousreply 104/18/2013

I liked Anne Curry. It was sad how they handled it. It is okay. Karma will take care of it for her.

by Anonymousreply 204/18/2013

Stelter finally hints at the fact that -- aside from lack of "chemistry" with Lauer -- Ann Curry really wasn't very good at her job.

by Anonymousreply 304/18/2013

Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 404/18/2013

That NY Times article is heartbreaking. And nasty.

AND FAAAAABULOUS TO read. Can't wait for it to become an HBO movie!

by Anonymousreply 504/18/2013

NBC really does have a history of fucking with its people. Jane Pauley, David Letterman, Conan O'Brian.

by Anonymousreply 604/18/2013

Olivia Wilde as Ann Curry in the HBO movie!

by Anonymousreply 704/18/2013

Bell and the people who worked in the control room come off as Mean Girls douchey. I wonder if he commissioned those "gaffe" reels for the pleasure of Lauer, his real "stah"? What a toxic work environment. No wonder she was always on the verge of tears.

by Anonymousreply 804/18/2013

New York magazine did a recent cover story on Lauer, which portrayed him as arrogant and cold.

Bottom line is while Curry may not have been good at her job, it still should have been handled better.

And Guthrie is simply not cut out for fluffy morning news. Give her Brian Williams position when he is sick. The handful of times I've watched her she is clearly not having a good time.

TODAY should Hoda and Lester Holt. Start over fresh. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 904/18/2013

Per the NY Times article, Curry was coming around to the roving-correspondent idea, but then, read about Bell's Olympic deadline and got PISSED. If they would have just bided their time, they could have let Curry exit on her times, hung on to 600K or so viewers, and not had to deal with this bad publicity (which seems to be neverending).

by Anonymousreply 1004/18/2013

Honestly, TODAY should fire everyone and start fresh. There is NO one on that show who's remotely warm or interesting.

I'd be willing to consider keeping Hoda, Lester and Willie Geist in the 9:00 hour.

But whether Anderson gets the seat or not, they need to hit reset on the main folks, and find a newsreader too.

by Anonymousreply 1104/18/2013

"Olivia Wilde as Ann Curry in the HBO movie!"

But I wanted that role! I can become inflamed and then cry on the spot.

by Anonymousreply 1204/18/2013

The Today Show has always been a boys club since the 80s.

There have been several books written about the backstage goings on at Today, and it is really a sexist, male dominated environment.

Bryant Gumbels pet name for Jane Pauley started with a C and was four words. He would say "Geez that C*** was on pluto today"

Jane seeing how things were run from day one was pretty smart in how she handled things. She took a back seat and let things roll off her shoulders. She came in at 6AM and left at 9:01 AM. Her assistant would send all her work at home, and she would work from there. Removing herself from the sexist atmosphere.

Katie handled things a bit better, because she was close to Jeff Zucker. Although Gumbel still ran the show. When Gumbel left, Katie's power base within NBC grew to a point where no one told her what to do.

With Meredith, it was the same with Jane. She withdrew and let the men run things. Going home immediately after the show, and working from home.

Ann thought she could change city hall, but the reality was things are so stuck in stone, she had no hope to changing things.

by Anonymousreply 1304/18/2013

[quote]Bryant Gumbels pet name for Jane Pauley started with a C and was four words.

The first word is easy to figure, but I need help with the next three words.

by Anonymousreply 1404/18/2013

R14 First word was C and it rhymes with Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 1504/18/2013

She's one of those sneaks who keeps her weepy, sincere game face on while stupidly trying to control and manipulate things around her. A professional victim with a big heart is a ridiculous choice for anything to do with "news."

Not that the Today show has anything to do with news anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1604/18/2013

As I said, the first WORD was easy to figure but R13 said there were FOUR WORDS.

by Anonymousreply 1704/18/2013

R16, thanks for regaling us with stories of your mom.

by Anonymousreply 1804/18/2013

R14 He meant four letters, Einstein.

by Anonymousreply 1904/18/2013

[quote]He meant four letters, Einstein.

I was giving R13 credit for knowing the difference between "words" and "letters." Sorry it bothers you so much, Jackass.

I was hoping for an interesting new phrase similar to "cunt punt" that showed up in another thread today.

by Anonymousreply 2004/18/2013

Could I buy a vowel please?

by Anonymousreply 2104/18/2013

Please make note that there is no E on the end of her name.

by Anonymousreply 2204/18/2013

Really, another Ann Curry thread, how fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 2304/18/2013

r23.....we never tire of our Anns/Annes.

At least we are not hating women!!

by Anonymousreply 2404/18/2013

Conan fucked himself R6.

by Anonymousreply 2504/18/2013

Ming Na Wen as ANN!

by Anonymousreply 2604/18/2013

someone link the Time Article please!!!

by Anonymousreply 2704/18/2013

Here it is.

by Anonymousreply 2804/18/2013

thanks r28

by Anonymousreply 2904/18/2013

A person was not good at the job they accepted and they got fired. Why is this Matt's problem? Because he noticed it and said something? Why wouldn't he? Her performance reflects him too. The media needs to give it a rest.

by Anonymousreply 3004/18/2013

Just one day after Curry signed off, the advantage “Today” had over its top rival, ABC’s “Good Morning America,” turned into a 600,000-viewer deficit. Millions in advertising revenue vanished.

by Anonymousreply 3104/18/2013

not every one agrees she was the problem r30....some say it was Lauer

by Anonymousreply 3204/18/2013

Now she knows how the audience felt with her awkwardness as co-host of Today.

by Anonymousreply 3304/18/2013

I don't like what they did to Ann - especially the way they handled it (very unprofessional), but I was shocked that they ever hired her in the first place, much less kept promoting her. She was horrible at her job, but that was obvious since her first week on the job.

Ann is earning $10 Million a year. I know a few people who make $10 an hour (or less) and get treated ten times worse by their employers

by Anonymousreply 3404/18/2013

No Ann Does not earn $10 million per year.

The $10 million dollar figure is for her 5 year contract.

She makes $2 million per year. It is a big pay check, but it is low compared to the other anchors at top news shows like Matt Lauer. Meredith made $12 million per year.

Matt Lauer is definitely not worth $25 million per year. Now, his salary is

by Anonymousreply 3504/19/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3604/19/2013

[quote]A person was not good at the job they accepted and they got fired. Why is this Matt's problem?

Exactly.

One of my favorite lines in the NYTimes piece is that Ann's sense of entitlement was so huge, that she considered the co-host job to be the equivalent of a Supreme Court appointment—a gig for life.

by Anonymousreply 3704/19/2013

Ann was terrible on the show and her faux sincerity had been mocked for years. She should never have been made cohost, they should have cut her while Meredith was in place. That said, it is remarkable at how bad NBC handled this transition that a year later people still feel bad for Ann.

by Anonymousreply 3804/19/2013

I think the claims of "torture" are Ann's revisionist crap. Right before she got the can, she said in a magazine she wanted to be at the today show for 20 years. And if people were really so awful to her wouldn't she jump at the the new job?

Let's face it Ann has ego...she was embarrassed to be fired and is now pissed. But that is the extend of the damage. She has more money (per the NYT article they are paying her more to not be cohost, than they did to be cohost), and really she has more fans. No one ever cared this much about Ann Curry during her 15 years on the show. The ego should be satisfied

by Anonymousreply 3904/19/2013

According to the excerpt in the NY Times, Curry's boss met with her to announce that someone else was being hired for the job she wanted, and: "As soon as Curry saw the direction of the talk, her tears started welling up".

I would have fired her on the spot for crying in a meeting. This kind of manipulative crap by women is just as wrong as the "old boys" atmosphere that "tortured" her.

by Anonymousreply 4004/19/2013

Time for this coddled, millionaire, self adoring attention whore to sashay away.

You people DO realize this woman is a multi millionaire, obsessed with self victimization, don't you?

ENOUGH with the media and public's obsession with the goings on of morning TV trash shows and their personalities. Same with the late night bullshit.

These people are all 1% assholes who'd never give any of us the time of day unless they could get ratings out of us. Curry is among the worst and deserves whatever obscurity she's won herself.

by Anonymousreply 4104/19/2013

[quote]Time for this coddled, millionaire, self adoring attention whore to sashay away.

[quote] You people DO realize this woman is a multi millionaire, obsessed with self victimization, don't you?

[quote] These people are all 1% assholes who'd never give any of us the time of day unless they could get ratings out of us. Curry is among the worst and deserves whatever obscurity she's won herself.

EXACTLY.

by Anonymousreply 4204/19/2013

R40 It's "manipulative" to show emotion? What a miserable ballbuster you must be.

"Professional" doesn't equal stone cold asshole. Your type never stop trying to be "one of the boys", and it's all for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 4304/19/2013

She looks oriental....so I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 4404/19/2013

Ann, we condole you on your torturous situation.

by Anonymousreply 4504/19/2013

She looked like a fucking bag lady on Rock Center tonight.

Greasy hair, generally unkempt. Brian Williams looked at her like she smelled.

I don't blame him. Her "poor me" act has sucked a lot of money out of the news division. It's not just the Matt Lauer multimillionaires who suffer. It's producers and crew members who get laid off first.

While she's making $5mil/year to do nothing, because she couldn't do the job she was hired for.

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4604/19/2013

I'm wondering about the dirt she had on Jeff Zucker. It kept her employed for well over a decade. Now that he's gone from NBC, they have no reason to keep her, other than the hundreds of fraud that make up her fan base. Will she force him to take her to CNN?

by Anonymousreply 4704/20/2013

[quote] While she's making $5mil/year to do nothing, because she couldn't do the job she was hired for

She is NOT making $5 mil/year. She's making $10 MILLION a year and she hardly ever has to work

by Anonymousreply 4804/20/2013

Did any of you bother to read the Times article? She makes $2 million a year.

I don't understand why NBC refuses to let her out of her contract. They're compounding the problem by keeping her.

by Anonymousreply 4904/20/2013

Was this thread started by an NBC employee? Matt maybe.

That skunk is despicable. After Katie left she never had a nice thing to say about him.

He is not very good at his job and he is aging badly. Time for some fresh male blood. He needs to be put out to pasture.

by Anonymousreply 5004/20/2013

She is not making 2 mill. She's making over 5 mill.

Regardless, she failed at her job. As Bryant' Gumble said, everyone who has the privilege to land those lucrative jobs knows they are tenuous. Her sobbingd was an embarrassment. Get over yourself, lady. What about your adoring fans who lose jobs that barely pay a livings wage and can't make ends meet.

What a sense of entitlement are on that one. And scant journalistic talent.

by Anonymousreply 5104/20/2013

This bitch's level of entitlement is astronomical.

If I were making on-air gaffes, I would study the tapes and try to improve.

If my producer were unhappy with my performance, I would investigate how to improve the situation.

If the network wanted me to go because of my performance, I would be embarrassed and accept an offer to transfer with some dignity.

At some point, I would take responsibility, because that's what professionals do.

Instead, she played the gender card, the race card, the bullying card, went boo-hoo on air. It's amazing she's almost 60, because she has the worldview of today's college kids: I am entitled to whatever I want. I can do no wrong, only right.

by Anonymousreply 5204/20/2013

At least she still has a job.

by Anonymousreply 5304/20/2013

I find her annoying simply because after all these years she still hasn't figured out how to read a teleprompter without flubbing. It's such a basic part of the job yet she still hasn't mastered it.

by Anonymousreply 5404/20/2013

She's a professional victim. Few people care that this spoiled, untalented, self-obsessed person got fired from her show. What has she done to make this world a better place with her ability to come into the homes of millions? No, it's all about HER and how she was so WRONGED.

by Anonymousreply 5504/20/2013

When I heard Savannah Guthrie refer to the Boston bombers yesterday as "gentlemen," it was officially over for me. NO MORE TODAY. Not ever again

by Anonymousreply 5604/20/2013

I don't really care for Ann Curry, but I definitely hate Savannah Guthrie. She's a snotty, white, Republican bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5704/20/2013

Two million a year... isn't that just the rent in Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 5804/20/2013

Which one of you bitches posted this in the Daily News comments?

[quote]matt lauer should have been the one to leave . the man is a real nitwit when i see him on tv i turn the channels . you no it just go's to show you it's not just kid's being bullied but adult's also . it's just a shame that good people are being singled out like ann curry . ann curry was pretty good on the show but like i said matt lauer should have been the one to be fired instead. but i bet matt's boy friend had a lot to do with it .

The spelling and grammar errors are beautiful, but "I bet matt's boy friend" makes it huge.

by Anonymousreply 5904/20/2013

Ann seems to be working a bit more in recent weeks. Is she coming out of her funk or did producers decide enough time had passed?

by Anonymousreply 6005/11/2013

Have a heart, #61- the girl only makes $50 million a year. YOU try to live on that.

by Anonymousreply 6205/11/2013

I always wonder what sort of half wits can sit and watch the Today Show, without their brains liquifying, and running out of their ears!

by Anonymousreply 6305/11/2013

R43, I don't know how old you are but, among adults, it is indeed manipulative (not to mention weak) to show emotions in a professional setting. Whether you're male or female, leave your personal problems at home & handle issues in the workplace without bursting into tears.

by Anonymousreply 6405/11/2013

[quote]Ann Curry described final months at 'Today' as 'torture'

What an unfortunate choice of a word, especially after the events of the last couple of weeks.

Really, Ann? Millions of dollars a year for tolerating whatever shenanigans from your superiors in a job tens of thousands of women would give their left tit for, even if it came to an end after a year, and you use a word usually reserved for city bombings or 10-year-long kidnappings.

STFU already and get on with your life.

by Anonymousreply 6505/11/2013

Imagine a world where the were no Anns, at Annes.

Ooooh, that's good.

by Anonymousreply 6605/11/2013

Tiger mom so ashamed about her failure.

by Anonymousreply 6705/11/2013

Let me repeat what r65 said....

SHUT THE FUCK UP, drama queen.

If you want a definition of torture, ask those 3 women in Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 6805/11/2013

R61, do you think she's suffering from depression?

Also, what are prison shoulders?

by Anonymousreply 6905/12/2013

Curry showed up quite a big on NBC Nightly News, from filling in for Williams to reporting several pieces. I thought maybe she was finding her place, but I haven't seen her in recent weeks.

by Anonymousreply 7007/20/2013

As someone who watched the Today Show long before Ann Curry was installed as the newsreader, to her mercy installation as host, I think that if the title of this thread is accurate, it was appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 7107/20/2013

My guess is that she was talking about herself, though it was much worse for the audience.

At GMA, Ann Curry is a god.

by Anonymousreply 7207/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.