Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is the public ever going to get sick of superhero movies?

There are so many more coming this summer, and I don't want to see any of them. I feel like it's such a waste of resources.

by Anonymousreply 2604/18/2013

Not a fan, either, OP.

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2013

Me, too. I can't believe we live in an age where the driving cultural force in this country is Marvel Fucking Comics.

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2013

Just like zombie and vampire pictures, superhero movies will never go away. For each generation, there is a whole new audience for them. This is nothing new. Its been this way for decades.

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2013

R3: I'm not sure that I would agree about superhero films being a constant or even often revived genre, at least not anything remotely like their popularity of the past couple of decades.

In the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s, I recall the occasional Superman film and a scant few others, but that's spread across decades. This Wiki chart seems to support that, with more films of that sort coming out in a single year now than were issed in a decade or decades in the past.

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2013

Eventually. Somebody will come out with a surprise megahit, then other producers will copy that, then we'll have a new trend.

by Anonymousreply 504/17/2013

I really hope the new Superman movie spends plenty of time covering his origin story. I just don't think they can cover that enough.

by Anonymousreply 604/17/2013

I loved the 70s/80s "Superman" movies and even liked the Brandon Routh update from a few years back, but I have no desire to see this new version. Why do we need another dark, brooding superhero?

by Anonymousreply 704/17/2013

I's become so bad they almost instantaneously remake them. The remake of Spider-Man's origin story came just ten years after the first one.

And now they've reached the bottom of the barrel so we're getting such loser characters as "Ant-Man" and "Guardians of the Galaxy." They've got to stop.

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

R4 The chart shows that the craze started in the early 80s after the first Superman film. It built slowly and steadily for a while and by the late 80s early 90s is when we really start seeing them much more frequently. Going back twenty, thirty years? That's decades. Maybe not a lot of decades, but if we use the Disney formula of a new audience every seven years*, we are now going on our fourth "generation".

*before the advent of home video/dvd, Disney would re-release their older films every seven years or so, the reasoning that there was a whole new audience or generation for them.

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

Thanks for that Disney info, R9. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1004/17/2013

Superhero films are the new "westerns."

by Anonymousreply 1104/17/2013

[quote]Why do we need another dark, brooding superhero?

Probably because we live in dark, brooding times. I read once that during a good economy, teenage sex comedies and lighthearted films are more popular. When the economy is bad, the films take on a darker and less happy tone. Look at the '70s. Terrible economy, energy crisis, Watergate, loss in Vietnam and the Cold War going strong. What were the most popular films then? Disaster movies and films set during the Depression (with an occasional man eating shark thrown in for good measure). The theory is film goers wanted to see people having an even worse time in life then they were. Films are a form of escapism, but they also reflect the times they were made.

by Anonymousreply 1204/17/2013

It's getting really annoying. Also, what happened to the mid-budget movie for adults? Silver Linings Playbook was the last one. It seems like the major studios are pooling all their resources for these big bloated superhero epics, and spending close to nothing on smaller films with higher returns.

And Man of Steel looks like such a piece of shit that Superman Returns will seem like The Godfather in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 1304/17/2013

Glad I'm not the only one. Superhero movies seems so 20th century - like comic books.

I can't believe anyone gives a shit about them still.

by Anonymousreply 1404/17/2013

They're unethical. There are finite resources on this planet and we blow through them making another Iron Man and another Superman and another Captain America while children starve and infrastructure crumbles? Late capitalism is truly theatre of the absurd.

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

r9, this also coincides with the rise of the marketing departments and number crunchers telling the studios "what the kids out there want".

All of the studio consolidations brought the merchandising aspect to the fore also.

by Anonymousreply 1604/17/2013

CG is a major reason also. I wish they'd make slightly more adult superhero movies, more in keeping with Pfeiffer as Catwoman. I could handle a kinky Spiderwoman or a lezzed up Batwoman

by Anonymousreply 1704/17/2013

I enjoy superhero movies but enough with the zombie shit. What new angle can be done on zombies?? It's all been done to death.

by Anonymousreply 1804/17/2013

R16 Thats a very good point. For a long time merchandising tie-ins were somewhat limited. I know I have seen ads for merchandise related to Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz. And of course Disney really milked it for everything it was worth, but those were the exception and not the rule. I would guess the real game changer was when Star Wars came out and the merchandising of that went through the roof. It now is at the point where it seems they make a film simply to support the merchandise, and not the other way around. In my mind the worse offender was Return of the Jedi. The weakest of them all and those fucking Ewoks.

by Anonymousreply 1904/17/2013

r17 that's not going to happen for the merchandising reasons I mentioned above.

Apparently Darren Aronofsky wrote an amazing script based on the darker, Miller version of Batman. (I can't remember if he used a specific comic or not.)

The studio rejected it because it wasn't PG-13.

According to rumour, it would have been a mid-level R rating.

I've never seen it on the internet; I'd love to read it.

by Anonymousreply 2004/17/2013

R18 dont you mean they have been done to undeath?

by Anonymousreply 2104/17/2013

I don't think the public has ever been as into them as the media has led us to believe. But, they're what studios make in the summer. If you're thirsty, you'll drink anything. They're a delivery device a for merchandising bonanza. They have explosions. Once they've beaten the superhero horse to death, another genre that can contain explosions will be rolled out.

by Anonymousreply 2204/17/2013

That's interesting, R20, because both The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises were both mid-level R movies that got PG-13 ratings because of studio influence. As much as I enjoyed those movies, the whole time I was watching them I thought they weren't for kids at ALL.

by Anonymousreply 2304/17/2013

It's now spreading to tv with comic books like The Walking Dead being made. (And called "graphic novels" instead of comic books)

by Anonymousreply 2404/17/2013

It only takes a modicum of intelligence to know you won't get sick of them if you don't go to see them.

by Anonymousreply 2504/18/2013

You will continue to see superhero movies for one and ONLY one reason:

Teenage boys are the largest consumers of theater concession stand junk food.

Theater owners make their profits selling outrageously marked up junk food. Teenage boys will blow all their money at the concession stand instead of sneaking food and drinks purchased before the movie at Walgreens like sensible adults do. So as long as teenage boys continue to blow their allowances at the concession stand, superhero movies are here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 2604/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.