Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jack on "Will and Grace"

Where was his character from?

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2013

Following in the tradition of bitchy and witty R1s, R1... falls short.

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2013

Well he was from the same place that Will was from because they went to high school together.

And I always thought Will was from somewhere on Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2013

Laurenton Long Island.

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2013

Gaytown, USA.

by Anonymousreply 604/17/2013

Liberace opened his mouth to speak and a handbag fell out. Inside that handbag was a baby Jack.

by Anonymousreply 704/17/2013

He came from datalounge, the epicenter of the effort to convince the public that same-sex attracted males aren't really males at all.

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

Sean Hayes said his own father abandoned his family. I wonder if the Jack role was too close to home sometimes? Apparently the only gay member ofthe cast, the writers sure enjoyed demeaning the character.

by Anonymousreply 1004/19/2013

R4, do you mean Laurelton, in Queens (which is on Long Island)?

by Anonymousreply 1104/19/2013

I heard Max Mutchnick once say that he based the character on an actor he knew who tried out for the show before they had fully written out the jack part. The guy even wore the pastel colored sleeveless sweaters that Jack is partial to.

by Anonymousreply 1204/19/2013

But not *in* Long Island, R11.

by Anonymousreply 1304/19/2013

There was a huge glitter bomb that went off at the end of my seventeenth farewell tour. In the flash, a sparkly particle fusion generated this shallow singer/dancer/actor who deservedly worships me.

by Anonymousreply 1404/19/2013

by Anonymousreply 1504/20/2013

Will and Jack didn't meet in high school. Will was at a dorm party at Columbia where he met Jack, although, if I'm remembering, Jack was still in high school and crashing the party. Jack was definitely younger than Will on the show.

Will was from someplace like Westchester or Darian, New Canaan ... it's wherever Blythe Danner's character lived.

Jack was probably from somewhere in New York because his mother (the FABULOUS Veronica Cartwright) power walked to Will's apartment in a Thanksgiving episode. I think Grace's character was from Long Island, wasn't she? Was Debbie Reynolds the queen of Long Island community theater?

I can't fucking believe I remember that. If you want, I can tell you where all the characters from the "Mary Tyler Moore Show" where from, as well as everyone on "Upstairs Downstairs."

by Anonymousreply 1604/20/2013

do tell about MTM R16

by Anonymousreply 1704/20/2013

"he based the character on an actor he knew who tried out for the show"

Was it Corky St. Clair?

by Anonymousreply 1804/20/2013

by Anonymousreply 1904/20/2013

I'm not r16, but I can tell you that:

*Mary Richards was from the fictional town of Roseberg, MN, somewhere upstate from the Twin Cities

*Rhoda Morgenstern was born in the Bronx, NY

*Lou Grant was born in a fictional town in Michigan (this was established on The Lou Grant Show, not the MTM Show) and lived in Detroit and San Francisco before moving to Minnesota with his wife Edie in the mid60s

*Ted Baxter lived in Fresno, CA before moving to the Twin Cities.

*Murray Slaughter had to be from the NYC area since (like the actor who played him, Gavin Macleod) he retained a strong NYC accent.

*Sue Ann Nivens also did not seem to be a native Minnesotan, since her sister Lila lived down South and said nothing about Minnesota being her home when she visited Sue Ann.

by Anonymousreply 2004/20/2013

He was Lebanese, Blanche.

by Anonymousreply 2104/20/2013

Jack was from somewhere in the city. In the first season when he and Karen went out on Halloween, something was brought up about your drag queen name being your first pet and the street you grew up on. I can't remember what he said but I think 142nd was the street.

Will was from Connecticut. Grace was from Schenectady. Karen moved around a lot with con artist mom Suzanne Pleshette.

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

Megan Mullally has been out and bisexual for yonks - way before Sean Hayes (is he even out?). But this is Datalounge, where bisexual erasure is de rigeur and women of any sexual orientation are ignored.

by Anonymousreply 2304/21/2013

Jacks character is a very common personality type within the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 2404/21/2013

He is from Queens.

He asked his newly discovered son where he is from. The boys said "Queens." Jack says so am I but we will talk about that when you are older.

by Anonymousreply 2504/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!