Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

President Obama is kicking ass in his news conference

Fucking Repukes blocked the gun bill

by Anonymousreply 8804/18/2013

Great speech, they should all be ashamed.

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2013

Especially Harry Reid.

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2013

Fuck you, R3...

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2013

[R3] He has been speaking about this for weeks and the public is in favor of the background checks. You are a FOOL !

by Anonymousreply 504/17/2013

Rally the public? The public that is 90% in favor of this bill?!

The Whitehouse has been all over this issue, the Congress is just disgusting and should be ashamed of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 604/17/2013

Time for an executive order. I say it's time to take EVERYBODY'S guns.

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

You are not wanted here, freeper. Get the fuck lost.

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

Man, was he pissed!!!! I love his passion about this and I know this won't be the end! I fucking hate the NRA!

by Anonymousreply 1004/17/2013

R7 - Do you even know what you are talking about? You sound like a fucking fool! That "arrogance" is justifiable anger.

by Anonymousreply 1104/17/2013

No, R2. ESPECIALLY THE REPUBLICANS.

Let's keep the focus on the group that is actually committing the crime.

by Anonymousreply 1204/17/2013

R7 really wanted to say "uppity" instead of "arrogance."

by Anonymousreply 1304/17/2013

Harry Reid is fucking useless.

by Anonymousreply 1404/17/2013

R3, he's speaking for what the American people want. I know you're a troll, but isn't that what our elected officials are supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

If Obama stayed in the Oval Office, working 24/7 and never appearing in public, R7 would say he wasn't doing anything.

by Anonymousreply 1604/17/2013

but I thought the bill didn't pass the Senate?

There were at least six dems who voted against it.

by Anonymousreply 1704/17/2013

R18 please let me know what mainstream politician with an actual shot at the presidency would have honestly been able to do all of those things. Actually, don't bother, because there isn't one. You're made at how our government works and have focused that on hating Obama for reasons I can only guess at.

I appreciate that your worldview is naive, but look into trying to influence change in how money controls elections, etc, etc, before you decide the Constitution says the President can do whatever he wants and it shall be so.

by Anonymousreply 2004/17/2013

Good address. Now the blame can be firmly put on Republicans where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 2104/17/2013

Well, we think its pretty clear both sides of the aisle couldn't put aside partisanship and make a deal.

by Anonymousreply 2304/17/2013

It would be amazing (and well-deserved) if every last member in the Senate was voted out of office. I don't care if they voted for that watered down bill...the whole body is fucking useless.

by Anonymousreply 2404/17/2013

He was pissed, the 90 percent is pissed, R21 is right.

by Anonymousreply 2504/17/2013

Four Democrats voted against universal background checks for gun purchases.

Background checks are supported by more than 90% of Americans, and three of these Senators are up for re-election in 2014. Let's get some Dems to replace those NRA-supporters.

by Anonymousreply 2604/17/2013

Again, FUCK YOU, freeper at R22. Begone, yeah?

by Anonymousreply 2804/17/2013

Democratic Sens. Mark Pryor (AK), Max Baucus (MT), Mark Begich (AK) and Heidi Heitkamp (ND) voted against the amendment. Let's get them out of Washington and replace them with Democrats who aren't owned by the NRA.

by Anonymousreply 2904/17/2013

Not to defend Alaska here, but we only bear NRA-ass-kissing responsibility for Mark Begich, not Mark Pryor (he is Arkansas' headache).

by Anonymousreply 3004/17/2013

Agreed R29, they are disgusting cowards.

by Anonymousreply 3204/17/2013

How do you think Heidi got elected in the first place r29? She ran as a conservative Dem.

A slightly more liberal senate candidate had no chance of winning North Dakota.

Same with Pryor, Baucus, and Begich.

by Anonymousreply 3304/17/2013

Whatever R34, the country is on the side of the President and the Sandy Hook families.

by Anonymousreply 3504/17/2013

Sens. Mark Pryor of Arkansas, Max Baucus of Montana, and Mark Begich of Alaska — face re-election races next year.

by Anonymousreply 3604/17/2013

If Obama can't get this passed after the Newtown tragedy, then he does not know how to use the bully pulpit effectively.

by Anonymousreply 3704/17/2013

Michael Bloomberg, the co-chair of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, blasted Democrats who voted against the Toomey-Manchin amendment.

“Today’s vote is a damning indictment of the stranglehold that special interests have on Washington,” he said in a statement.

“More than 40 U.S. senators would rather turn their backs on the 90 percent of Americans who support comprehensive background checks than buck the increasingly extremist wing of the gun lobby. Democrats – who are so quick to blame Republicans for our broken gun laws – could not stand united. And Republicans – who are so quick to blame Democrats for not being tough enough on crime – handed criminals a huge victory, by preserving their ability to buy guns illegally at gun shows and online and keeping the illegal trafficking market well-fed.”

by Anonymousreply 3804/17/2013

Duh, r36. Why do you think they voted NO!

They're all from red states.

Montana can be purple, but not when it comes to gun rights.

by Anonymousreply 4104/17/2013

People are sick of the GOP and this will make it worse for them. Good, they deserve scorn.

Too many Freepers in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4204/17/2013

Why isn't it possible for passionate liberals to remind the voters about these jerks in an effective campaign?

Voter should never ever vote based on polititians' election campaign promises and instead look at their past voting records (NOT the lame excuses or half baked explanations).

by Anonymousreply 4304/17/2013

You people are idiots. No Republican will lose his seat for not voting for this useless bill. On the other hand Dems is western, southern and rural states definitely would have lost for voting for it.

by Anonymousreply 4504/17/2013

R47 - I second that.

by Anonymousreply 4904/17/2013

R8 is dumb.

by Anonymousreply 5004/17/2013

[quote]There are plenty of good and true Democrats who are not enamored of the President.

And they feel the need to attack the president in cases like this where the general public is on his side? These so-called Democrats should ask themselves: Why are we Democrats again? We sure act like Republican douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 5104/17/2013

The NRA is thrilled that kids will be slaughtered for years to come! Way to go, Republicans!

by Anonymousreply 5204/17/2013

Bravo R51!

by Anonymousreply 5304/17/2013

R51...please shut-up about the general public. Senators and Reps represent states and districts, not the general public.

by Anonymousreply 5404/17/2013

"Want to bet more of those who voted for it our voted out than voted against it?"

You want to try that again, in English this time?

Stupid piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 5604/17/2013

r54, you are clearly mistaken. Senators and Reps represent lobbies and their (own) interests.

by Anonymousreply 5704/17/2013

So r29, you want to primary them in red states. That should work out well.

Their republican foes wouldn't be able to contain their glee.

by Anonymousreply 5804/17/2013

I third that, and I'll bring the popcorn.

by Anonymousreply 5904/17/2013

[quote]He could have used his bully pulpit to rally the American people behind the bill,

Honey-bunch, 90% of the electorate is ALREADY behind the fucking thing! are you stoned?

by Anonymousreply 6004/17/2013

R60 90%? Perhaps one should look at the blunt in one's hand before casting a stone.

by Anonymousreply 6104/17/2013

America's love affair with violence and religion put us closer to a Middle Eastern nation than to many other more progressive Western nations.

by Anonymousreply 6204/17/2013

There were R's that voted for this like McCain & others.

by Anonymousreply 6304/17/2013

Honey bunch, that figure is pure bullshit....

If it was true, the bill would have sailed through.

by Anonymousreply 6404/17/2013

[quote]Dems is western, southern and rural states definitely would have lost for voting for it.

But they ARE voting for it, Blanche! They ARE!

They're not afraid of the NRA morons. They are listening to 90 percent of all Americans.

by Anonymousreply 6504/17/2013

R66. Oh sweetie. Where are you to be so incredibly enlightened?

by Anonymousreply 6704/17/2013

I was very impressed with his remarks today. I thought he was very effective. What I have to look at, though, is the failure of messaging.

This is not his problem,and I'm not criticizing the PResident, rather his organization. This is definitely his organization's problem.

Right now we're in a precarious position. We may be in the shitter next year. There are a number of Democrats in the Senate who are retiring, or who are up for re-election.

There is a very good chance that after the 2014 elections, we will be even weaker than we are now. I'm concerned because I can see similarities with gun control legislation, and the healthcare debate.

The opposition (NRA)frames and defines the issue, tells blatant lies to the American people, and gets away with it bcz there's no rebuttal. There is no clarity, just muddle.

Back then, we seemed blindsided when Scott Brown won Teddy Kennedy's seat, and no one realized it was a harbinger of things to come in 2010.

Obama's campaign organization is mobilized better this time, but unless they really take the initiative and control the messaging, he will have more and more problems. 2014 should be his to own.

He needs to get rid of the obstructionists and he can only do that with a full mobilization and a clear message. Hopefully some good will come out of today's defeat. I think the public is ready to mobilize. I think they need support from his ground troops.

by Anonymousreply 6904/17/2013

R69...you're living in a dream world. HE'S the obstructionist. He makes lovely speeches to his base, then negotiates something completely different with the repukes. And people like you still fall for it because you will not accept that he's conservative.

The democrats can only do so much if the president won't take the lead in establishing a liberal fighting stance. You start from a position of strength, not weakness. Obama always gives up everything at the beginning of negotiations. The background check was the LEAST Obama could do, and he always positions himself as the advocate of that position. The democrats take their lead from him; if he's a weakling who capitulates, they will follow. And they have.

by Anonymousreply 7104/17/2013

Great post R18. ITA with you. Also I wish Obama showed a fraction of this passion for the Americans suffering and dying from poverty every day, oh but that's not popular so Obama doesn't give a damn. More people will die from poverty each year than from all the gun deaths put together only most of them will suffer for a longer time first.

by Anonymousreply 7204/17/2013

He doesn't know how to lead. When he meets with Rethugs, he begins by giving them what they want, then sits down to discuss a "compromise" on what else he'll give them in return for nearly nothing.

He spent his entire first year in the Oval Office waiting for The Consensus. The DADT repeal almost went down the drain. It was rescued at the last minute by Reid and Pelosi.

by Anonymousreply 7304/17/2013

R72...the posters here don't give a shit about the poor, or guantanomo, or drones, or social security. The sad reality is this; the great success of the "Reagan legacy" has been to move virtually everyone to the conservative perspective, including most democrats. Everyone just cares about their own status, and getting ahead. All the liberal causes have been thrown in a trash pile. Obama is the symbol of just how far the democrats have turned into pseudo-republicans.

by Anonymousreply 7404/17/2013

I see all the reasons on why Obama was not strong in sending his message but there was NO reason to not support the bill. We have an inept Congress

by Anonymousreply 7504/17/2013

The Republican Response:

by Anonymousreply 7604/17/2013

R70 makes it sound like Obama forced them to come forward.

I never ever want to hear from a woman who regrets having an abortion discuss abortion. People who have been affected by legislation have no business talking about that legislation.

by Anonymousreply 7704/17/2013

......Marching in lockstep beneath a banner that now stands for "Guardians of Privilege" -- GOP

Welcome to the end of the republic.

by Anonymousreply 7804/17/2013

Obama should have mentioned vile Rand Paul by name and then read off the names of every fucking Repug and the four Dopey Dems that voted it down.

by Anonymousreply 8004/17/2013

Mark Pryor just said that Obama called, but didn't press him at all.

Was Obama expecting enough repugs to cross over?

Ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 8104/17/2013

What a bunch of CHICKEN-SHIT SENATORS!

by Anonymousreply 8204/17/2013

So, R81, is Pryor blaming the President for *not* strong-arming him, that if only Obama had browbeat enough Democratic fence-sitters and Republican loons, the measure would have passed?

OMG, way to pass the fucking buck, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 8304/17/2013

Joe Biden looks like he's having a nervous breakdown in the background.

by Anonymousreply 8404/17/2013

What did the idiot think they were going to do? Compromising got him nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 8504/18/2013

OP, the speech isn't necessarily going to be able to do much. The NRA won. They blocked the vote.

The only thing that will change is if voters throw out Republicans from Congress in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 8604/18/2013

[quote]Democratic Sens. Mark Pryor (AK), Max Baucus (MT), Mark Begich (AK) and Heidi Heitkamp (ND) voted against the amendment.

The first 3 are up for re-election next year. Not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 8704/18/2013

They put their re-election over American Lives and doing what's right.

Typical slimy spineless politicians.

by Anonymousreply 8804/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.