Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

“Fashion Police” Writers Go On Strike

Apparently Joan Rivers' outrageous bon mots about celebrity style is not as adlibbed as she would want you to believe. The only problem is she won't pay the writers. I guess Mellissa Rosenberg, who's only job is producing the show can't even get that right.

by Anonymousreply 9607/18/2013

Kind of ironic since Joan is obsessed with getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2013

Ah, Queerty; where the semi-literate post semi-news for the semi-interested.

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2013

This shitty show actually has writers?

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2013

JOAN RIVERS IS RUNNING A SWEATSHOP FOR WRITERS...

by Anonymousreply 405/18/2013

Joan's writers are on strike and even Perez Hilton sides with them. Check out his video message to Joan...

by Anonymousreply 505/18/2013

E! tried to sabatage a benefit for the striking Fashion Police writers.

by Anonymousreply 605/18/2013

COMEDY OF ERRORS

Joan Rivers Ignores “Fashion Police” Strikers, Thinks $24K Is An “Appropriate” Yearly Salary

by Anonymousreply 705/18/2013

Really smart article about the strike...

Pitching jokes to Joan Rivers for $500 a week.

by Anonymousreply 805/18/2013

Huffington Post

Fashion Police' Writers Vs. E!: The Strike Gets Ugly

by Anonymousreply 905/18/2013

E! says that Joan Rivers is "emphatically supportive" of her striking writers, which is a load of bullshit. Joan is hiding and has not issued a single word about it publicly.

by Anonymousreply 1005/18/2013

Boycott "Fashion Police" and Joan Rivers.

by Anonymousreply 1105/18/2013

Suck it Joan!

by Anonymousreply 1205/18/2013

This is getting uglier than that flimsy Courtney Love harlot runway dress essentially stolen for her by her underpaid stylist.

by Anonymousreply 1305/18/2013

She should get down on her knees and thank God for those writers. She's the funniest thing on Fashion Police because of their jokes.

by Anonymousreply 1405/18/2013

Writers just have to wipe the E! glamour (yeah, right) out of their eyes and fucking refuse to write for these shows. They're degrading to watch and work for.

by Anonymousreply 1505/18/2013

You mean they actually have writers for that shitty show? Wow, I wonder how pathetic it is without writers.

by Anonymousreply 1605/18/2013

The show actually has TWELVE writers who write only for Joan. The other three hosts wing it.

by Anonymousreply 1705/18/2013

What makes Joan's lack of support for her writers even more appalling is that she is a longtime member of the Writers Guild of America.

Shame on her!

by Anonymousreply 1805/18/2013

Oh please. Joan only has loyalty so long as she gets paid. If someone threatens that, then fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 1905/18/2013

The writing staff of Fashion Police now has more scabs than Joan Rivers' face after a cosmetic procedure.

Oh! Oh! It is just--

by Anonymousreply 2005/18/2013

Joan is fucking her writers just like she fucked Johnny Carson. She has ZERO loyalty to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 2105/18/2013

this reminds me of that hilarious gag from The Simpsons where Ned asks Homer to help him live a little, and they go to Las Vegas. Joan accosts him on the sidewalk screaming "Would you like to be in the audience for my infomercial? (Ned runs off) Help me, my daughter's not talented!"

by Anonymousreply 2205/18/2013

Who knew there were writers?

by Anonymousreply 2305/18/2013

I'm a regular viewer. The show isn't as funny without the writers. It's been noticable since the strike began. BTW, drag queen, Jackie Beat is a writer on the show. He raised money on Give Forward to have hip surgery. He got $44k out of the $50k he was looking for. Joan donated an undisclosed amount. I'm guessing it was less than $1000 because I looked at the total raise early on and from the contributions I saw it would be less than that.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

True R26

I've not noticed much difference in Joan's jokes. Crude, vulgar, but sometimes funny.

"That dress is so high, we can see Mila's cunis."

by Anonymousreply 2705/18/2013

The Chinese orphans who assemble Joan's crappy costume jewelry for QVC get paid more than her comedy writers.

by Anonymousreply 2805/18/2013

If Joans such a great comedian, can't she write some jokes?

Also, its ridiculous that they're only getting paid $24000 a year. You can't live off of that in the midwest, let alone LA.

by Anonymousreply 2905/18/2013

Joan Rivers is a greedy coward.

by Anonymousreply 3005/18/2013

I'm going to assume that they're getting SAG/Aftra rates.

by Anonymousreply 3105/18/2013

Joan has crossed the picket line of her own show. She's a scab.

by Anonymousreply 3205/19/2013

They are writers not actors r31

by Anonymousreply 3305/19/2013

I'm sorry, WGAW rates.

by Anonymousreply 3405/19/2013

R27, that quote is recycled material from a couple of years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3505/19/2013

Kind of shocked they have "a dozen writers"

really?

by Anonymousreply 3605/19/2013

Joan has not reached out to any of her writers since the strike began and prior to that, refused to even discuss with them their desire to have Fashion Police covered by a WGA contract.

Classy lady.

by Anonymousreply 3705/19/2013

Where's the surprise though, she's a Republican, exploiting the poor is standard operating procedure for them.

by Anonymousreply 3805/19/2013

That dress had more dark things hanging off it than Angelina Jolie.

If that outfit were any shorter you could see inside her vajayjay.

That slit in the back has probably opened and closed more times than Kristie Alley's refrigerator.

I had an ottoman set like that once.

by Anonymousreply 3905/19/2013

Link please R37.

Joan writes her own jokes, and always has. It's the others on the panel who need the writers.

Besides, it's not her show. Yes, her daughter is executive producer, but she is only following the network's orders.

E! is responsible for this. Stop blaming it on Joan just because you have an irrational hatred of her and her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 4005/19/2013

R40 How about you stop defending Joan so desperately just because she's your outdated "diva" or "gay icon"?

by Anonymousreply 4105/19/2013

Do they need scabs? You average DLer could write those "jokes."

by Anonymousreply 4205/19/2013

Quote from The Hollywood Reporter...

"The letter also said that Rivers “emphatically support(s) the writers.” However, Todd Masterson, one of the show’s writers, told THR that a meeting with Rivers had gone badly. “We wanted to get a contract, we wanted to talk about it and when we approached Joan and the producers and stuff, we were completely shot down. Just completely shot down. It was at a meeting one day, and Joan just blew up, and there was cussing and throwing things and -- it was bad.”

by Anonymousreply 4305/25/2013

Perez Hilton's report on the Fashion Police picket/rally...

by Anonymousreply 4405/25/2013

R44 I'm not clicking on that has-been's site.

by Anonymousreply 4505/25/2013

What R45 said.

by Anonymousreply 4605/25/2013

Fan or not, R40 may be correct. Neither Joan nor her daughter have anything to do with their salaries, do they? The writers are E employees.

Shouldn't this be a union issue?

I remember a few years ago Paula Deen was the spokesperson for some company-- Smithfield?--which was having employee troubles. They tried to involve Deen in their grievance but she made it clear that, however sympathetic she was, this wasn't her fight.

by Anonymousreply 4705/26/2013

Unintentionally, I've not been watching the show since this strike.

I usually came across it while flipping channels and I stayed for the jokes. I suspect that when I've landed on it recently it's not been funny, so I keep moving.

I've also noticed that I don't come across the show as much these days, which makes me wonder if E! pulled the constant repeats cause no one's watching them.

Does it mention if the writers' pay was increased when the show doubled in length and they would theoretically have to write twice as much?

by Anonymousreply 4805/26/2013

Seriously, how much $ should be paid to writers who just have to produce variations on," That purse is bigger than Lea Michele's labia"?

by Anonymousreply 4905/26/2013

Joan does NOT write her own jokes. That's why the show has 12 writers. It's a joke sweatshop that will never satiate her endless insecurity to have more, more, more material.

To those people defending Joan, yet understand nothing about the strike and the reasons behind it, I invite you to read any of the numerous links above.

by Anonymousreply 5005/26/2013

Who's stupid idea was it to stretch the show from half and hour to a full hour? The show should have been left at half an hour.

I agree with R50. Obviously the writers are valuable and worth more than they're getting considering the jokes now are even worse than they were before.

by Anonymousreply 5105/26/2013

Isn't E responsible for their salaries? Why Joan?!

by Anonymousreply 5205/26/2013

Joan may not technically control salaries, but it is her show and she could use her influence to get them raises if that's what she wanted. She figures what's in it for her? The show becomes less profitable, more likely to be cancelled, with higher staff costs. So the penny-pinching old cunt has no interest in helping them.

by Anonymousreply 5305/26/2013

Is she the producer? I thought Ryan Seacrest produced most of the shows on E!.

by Anonymousreply 5405/26/2013

R53 It's sad that even at 80 years old the old cunt is STILL obsessed with money and doesn't care about anyone but herself.

If she thinks her writers aren't worth more, maybe her old ass should try writing "jokes" herself.

by Anonymousreply 5505/26/2013

If you had read any of the links R52, you would know that some of the writers are paid by E! and some by Joan's company.

Salary aside, Joan can and should wield her enormous power to force the network to give her writers the WGA contract they deserve.

Instead, she hides behind E! and pretends nothing is happening. If she "emphatically supports" her writers as E! keeps claiming, where is an official statement from Joan? Crickets...

She does NOT support her striking writers and, as a Writers Guild of America member herself for decades, is a disgrace to the profession for crossing the picket line of her own show.

Joan Rivers is a cheap, miserly, coward who treats her hard-working writers like slaves.

Save your tanking show and reputation, Joan. Do the right thing and support your striking writers by walking off the show until they E! agrees to giving them a WGA contract.

is a disgrace to her profession

by Anonymousreply 5605/27/2013

The only reason that the writers on E!'s other hit shows (The Soup and Chelsea Lately) got WGA contracts, is because their hosts (Joel McHale and Chelsea Handler) personally called the President of E! and said, "Give my writers a WGA contract, or I walk off the show". Ten minutes later, the writers had their contract.

Joan Rivers on the other hand, refuses to make that phone call on behalf of her writers. Now, if a Joel McHale has that kind of power, then do does Joan.

Writers on The Soup and Chelsea Lately earn, based on the minimums paid for comedy-variety shows, $3000 per week plus full medical benefits, pension, paid vacation, residuals and foreign residuals.

Writers on Fashion Police earn, with no WGA contract in place to protect them, $640 per week (before taxes) with zero benefits. It is also a comedy-variety show and one of the top-rated shows on E!.

Joan Rivers could put an end to the strike and get her writers a WGA contact in two minutes, but she won't.

People should be asking Joan this very simple question. "Why won't you help your writers?"

by Anonymousreply 5705/27/2013

Can we talk, Joan?

Thought not.

by Anonymousreply 5805/27/2013

Ladies and gentlemen! Please welcome to our stage Miss Joan "Crickets" Rivers!

by Anonymousreply 5905/28/2013

You know Joan is in the wrong about this because she hasn't said a word publicly. When has she ever kept silent about anything?

What a sad, old, cowardly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6006/01/2013

slE!azy

by Anonymousreply 6106/01/2013

Most of Joan's writers on Fashion Police are gay. Joan does not support the gays.

by Anonymousreply 6206/02/2013

They've been on strike almost two months now and not a peep from Rivers. She's pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 6306/02/2013

Joan is now in deep shit with the WGA and she brought it upon herself.

by Anonymousreply 6407/10/2013

Striking Fashion Police Writers Speak Out

by Anonymousreply 6507/10/2013

Joan is a lying cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6607/10/2013

Let's see her try and talk her way out of this mess.

by Anonymousreply 6707/10/2013

I never did like her.

by Anonymousreply 6807/10/2013

Ifollow Jackie Beat...one of the writers...she is not happy fighting with Joan....but is apparently getting disgusted with the lack of resolution...the powers that be in whore-y wood better get it together and realize it ALL comes down to the writing!!!

by Anonymousreply 6907/10/2013

I too am disgusted this hasn't been resolved as a long-time viewer. She comes across as greedy.

by Anonymousreply 7007/11/2013

[quote]She comes across as greedy.

Really? You think?

by Anonymousreply 7107/11/2013

I don't hate the gays!!!!!!!! I even married one!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7207/11/2013

Jackie Beat is in the video at R65

by Anonymousreply 7307/11/2013

Faster! Faster! Melissa wants a pony!

by Anonymousreply 7407/11/2013

That video at R65 speaks volumes about how uncooperative she is and what anger issues she has. The fact that she blew up after someone said one sentence shows what a fake, greedy bitch she is. She only likes people as long as everything's going great for her. To hell with everyone else.

Maybe the old cunt should take a tip from fellow E! star Chelsea Handler who actually spoke up for her staff and got them better pay.

by Anonymousreply 7507/11/2013

Didn't Joan say in her documentary that she pays for all sorts of extended family & even the kids of her staff members to attend college? She made herself out to look very giving in that piece.

by Anonymousreply 7607/11/2013

R76 Are you really that naïve??? You don't think she's going to show footage of what a greedy cunt she is, do you?

All you have to do is watch her when she was on Celebrity Apprentice to see what a bitch she is and how she can't control her temper. She did everything from throwing a glass on the floor to screaming and cussing people out when she didn't get her way.

by Anonymousreply 7707/11/2013

No, R77, I did not think Joan was going to show footage of what a greedy cunt she is. I am not that naive. I was simply pointing out that she's consciously pulling the wool over our eyes, okay?

by Anonymousreply 7807/11/2013

R77 and by the same token you have to realize the Celebrity Apprentice is a reality show and Joan amped up the drama for that season. You think Joan acts that way in real life? She's a very intelligent woman and I'm sure she was being dramatic for the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 7907/11/2013

agree r79....but Melissa seemed like a crazy entitled brat.

by Anonymousreply 8007/11/2013

R80 oh for sure Melissa has always been a brat lol. She and Joan made that season though.

by Anonymousreply 8107/11/2013

She's a poker player!! A poker player!!!

her line readings on that were Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 8207/11/2013

LOL at the dumb Joan stans who actually think she was acting on CA. Sorry, but THAT was the real Joan. It's her shitty reality show with Melissa that she acts on.

by Anonymousreply 8307/11/2013

what is CA r83?

by Anonymousreply 8407/11/2013

The writers are brave publishing the r65 video. They may find themselves unemployable.

Joan's documentary portrayed her as very generous towards her staff (e.g. paying college fees etc.) but I wonder how much they actually get paid. None of them looked well-heeled.

by Anonymousreply 8507/11/2013

Grab some popcorn. There's gonna be fireworks!

by Anonymousreply 8707/12/2013

Perez Hilton outs Joan as a liar!

EXCLUSIVE! Joan Rivers WAS Notified About The WGA Fashion Police Charges!

Someone with as many fur coats as Joan Rivers should know a charge when she sees one!

But the Fashion Police host responded recently to news of WGA charges against her by saying that she hadn't been notified of any.

But according to a source close to the Writers Guild of America, East, Joan was sent her notice way back on June 4! By both e-mail and in a letter!

See, letters are these things on paper with stamps that people used to send each other… never mind, Joan knows what we're talking about!

In fact, Joan seems to know all about the charges. After all, being a member of the WGA, she should already know full well that she's not allowed to keep running a show when the writers are on strike.

Whether she's the one who determines their pay or not, Joan is still responsible for her staff.

If she supports them like she says she does, it's time she pulled her head out of the sand before they rename it Silicon Valley!

by Anonymousreply 8807/13/2013

Why would a woman that old be so concerned with nickel & diming people? Like she really needs MORE money for herself? Does she not realize she'll be dead soon? I've never understood elderly people who are hellbent on amassing money at that age.

by Anonymousreply 8907/13/2013

Sad that this will be her legacy, but she brought the entire thing upon herself.

by Anonymousreply 9007/13/2013

We already knew she was a cunt, now we now she's a greedy cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9107/13/2013

Lady Scrooge

by Anonymousreply 9207/13/2013

Everyone knows Joan's not funny by herself anymore. She had a shtick. Then she tried winging it on E and sucked bad because it was always a package deal with Mrs. Ed, her daughter and they didn't pay for jokes. She got funny on Fashion Police and fucked her writers, who had to actually go out on strike. What writer wants to strike? THEY are the ones who brought in the ratings. Not her. The producer probably give Joan a lump sum and she gets to divvy it up the way she wants. She's a cheap bitch and NOT funny without writers. She's also a LUCKY bitch who gets great TV deals, ruins them, and then whines about it until she gets a new one.

by Anonymousreply 9307/13/2013

I swear to God, if I have to listen to Joan make one more Kim Kardashian "joke" while discussing a black & white ensemble...

by Anonymousreply 9407/13/2013

Perez rocks.

by Anonymousreply 9507/17/2013

You can tell Joan's getting desperate for good Fashion Police jokes because she's even more vulgar than ever. When in doubt, toss around the C-word. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 9607/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!