Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Republicans pull the plug on Mark Sanford's Congressional bid

National Republicans are pulling the plug on Mark Sanford’s suddenly besieged congressional campaign, POLITICO has learned — a potentially fatal blow to the former South Carolina governor’s dramatic comeback bid. Blindsided by news that Sanford’s ex-wife has accused him of trespassing and concluding he has no plausible path to victory, the National Republican Congressional Committee has decided not to spend more money on Sanford’s behalf ahead of the May 7 special election.

“Mark Sanford has proven he knows what it takes to win elections. At this time, the NRCC will not be engaged in this special election,” said Andrea Bozek, an NRCC spokeswoman.

Sanford is facing Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch, a Clemson University administrator and sister of comedian Stephen Colbert, in a race that has grabbed the national spotlight.

The NRCC’s move comes hours after Tuesday night’s report by the Associated Press that Sanford’s ex-wife, Jenny Sanford, filed a court complaint accusing him of trespassing at her home in early February – which would be a violation of the terms of their divorce agreement.

Republicans said they were caught off guard by news of Jenny Sanford’s complaint. They worry other damaging revelations about Mark Sanford’s personal life that they aren’t aware of could come out in the coming weeks.

The NRCC has spent a nominal amount on the race on polling and other activities. But officials determined that devoting potentially millions more — which was under discussion — isn’t worth it.

“This is an unfortunate situation but this is what happens when candidates aren’t honest and withhold information,” said one GOP operative. (Also on POLITICO: Ex-wife claims Sanford trespassed)

Sanford’s campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sanford’s political career was derailed four years ago after he admitted having an affair with an Argentine woman, and now he is seeking the House seat he held for three terms in the late 1990s. The district heavily favors Republicans, so a win by Colbert Busch would be a major upset.

The former governor’s personal life has taken center stage in the race. Sanford, who spent eight years as governor and six years in Congress and for a time had been seen as a serious potential presidential candidate, has crisscrossed the Charleston-area district apologizing to voters and casting himself as a figure of repentance and redemption. (Also on POLITICO: Sanford: I entered Jenny's home to watch football)

Since securing the GOP nomination two weeks ago, Sanford has painted Colbert Busch as a liberal who is out of step with the 1st Congressional District. He has hammered Colbert Busch for accepting donations from organized labor and for supporting President Barack Obama’s health care bill.

by Anonymousreply 3104/20/2013

The "ticket to ride" is quickly reaching an expiration date for his Argentinian mistress. She will be dumping him next.

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2013

She's no longer his mistress. She's properly Mrs. Mark Sanford. Does he have personal wealth?

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2013

R2, doesn't it seem unlikely that he has money, if he has to trespass on his ex-wife's property to watch a football game?

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2013

This is good news.

He was and still is a slime.

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2013

So will we have a Colbert in Congress, or is the "R" next to his name too much to overcome in SC?

by Anonymousreply 504/17/2013

He claimed he trespassed in order to watch the Super Bowl with his 14 year old so he wouldn't have to watch it alone. He could've taken him to a pizza place to watch.

by Anonymousreply 604/17/2013

He could have made arrangements for the boy to visit him to watch the game. That's the way people who don't think they don't have to follow the rules handle that sort of situation.

by Anonymousreply 704/17/2013

[quote]That's the way people who don't think they don't have to follow the rules handle that sort of situation.

We have a winner...though it's not going to be Sanford. And then he'll blame everyone else but himself for losing.

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

this guy is a horrible liar. first the applacian trail now he trespasses to watch a football game?

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

Why can't the Dems stomp this guy?

Having a girlfriend while married would get Pubbies up in arms if a Democrat did that. But this guy went way beyond by leaving his state leaderless while he took off for South America. Had there been a major emergency, there was nobody in charge. His staff didn't know where he was. They had no idea that he left the country. In that case, the Lt. Gov. should have been placed in charge but he had no idea that the Governor had deserted his post.

by Anonymousreply 1004/17/2013

How Savvy Jenny Sanford Sabotaged Ex-Husband Mark’s Political Comeback

A couple of months ago, when I was reporting a feature on Mark Sanford’s political comeback and the ongoing soap opera between him and his ex-wife Jenny, one of his associates told me: “Clearly Jenny has the ability to determine whether Mark wins or loses this race.” It now seems clear that she’s chosen the latter.

Jenny insists that she did not leak to the Associated Press the court filings that revealed that Mark had trespassed at her home in early February. “Those documents the AP has are legit,” she told The Wall Street Journal. “They deal with a number of private domestic matters and it was my understanding they were to remain sealed along with our divorce documents. I did not choose to make this information public nor did I choose the timing of his last trespassing.” Which may be true. But Jenny’s not a dope. She’s a savvy political operator, and she had to have known that simply by filing those court documents in the middle of a campaign, there was a very good chance they would eventually leak.

Indeed, while Jenny has never come out and publicly opposed Mark’s congressional candidacy — choosing to remain officially neutral — she’s waged a brutally effective passive-aggressive campaign against it. Whether it was revealing to me that Mark had shamelessly asked her to manage his election bid; or telling the Washington Post that, until the night Mark’s fiancée showed up onstage at his victory party in April, one of her sons had never met the woman; or just generally making it known that she is furious that he’s running, Jenny has done a masterful job of keeping her ex-husband’s past (and not-so-past) transgressions in the news. She has seeded the ground with political land mines, stood back, and waited for Mark to step on one.

Now that he has, in the form of this trespassing news, Republicans are cutting bait, with the National Republican Congressional Committee deciding that it’s not going to spend any more money on Sanford’s behalf. Meanwhile, the conservative group Concerned Women for America has announced that it’s contemplating a write-in campaign on behalf of Jenny in the May 2 congressional race: “CWA’s staff is still checking the legalities but I gotta say,” its head told the Washington Post, “Congresswoman Jenny Sanford has a nice ring to it.” She’s certainly proven to be a better pol than her ex.

by Anonymousreply 1104/18/2013

A fundamental principle of evangelical Christianity is that once you're born again, you are automatically forgiven for all your sins. That's why it's so important for American politicians who need the evangelical vote to put on a big show of being part of the evangelical movement, embrace all their pet issues, use all their catch phrases and buzzwords, etc., even if they happen to be Catholic (and of course with these people if you're not a Christian you'd better be damn quiet about it, unless you're a fanatical Zionist Jew who might help bring about the Battle of Armageddon.)

So anyway, that's how you can be a blatant scummo and still draw the evangelical vote.

by Anonymousreply 1204/18/2013

He has a lot riding on getting into Congress. I'm sure his Argentine lover has no intention of leaving a cosmopolitan city like Buenos Aires for a backwater like South Carolina. He has probably promised her he'll get elected and they'll have a privileged Washington social life. I bet she dumps his ass.

by Anonymousreply 1304/18/2013

I'm w/ you, r13.

It'll be, "Adios, amigo."

by Anonymousreply 1404/18/2013

Well, Jenny's certainly put that to the test if the NY Mag reporter is correct in his suspicion.

by Anonymousreply 1504/18/2013

Jenny Sanford is a bad ass.

by Anonymousreply 1604/18/2013

"Jenny Sanford is a bad ass."

You won't believe me.

All you will see is a girl you once knew.

Although she's dressed up to the nines,

Packing six guns and a manna from heaven for you.

Oh, you gonna cry for me, Argentina!!

by Anonymousreply 1704/18/2013

There was a rumor right after the presidential election that Jenny was going to run against him. That would've been delicious.

by Anonymousreply 1804/18/2013

Republicans should have pulled the plug on Mark Sanford. (As a favor to South Carolinians, of course.)

by Anonymousreply 1904/18/2013

He's a terrible politician...and an even worse father.

Jenny didn't run against him because he has NOTHING at all and she thought it would be too much for her sons to bear to see their father ruined even further.

Of course, he just couldn't stop himself from doing things he's not supposed to be doing. Out of love, you see. Out of love.

by Anonymousreply 2004/18/2013

He and his mistress are NOT married to each other.

by Anonymousreply 2104/18/2013

Damn, talk about tone-deaf. If Sanford can brazenly go to his jilted ex-wife like nothing ever happened and ask her to run his campaign just like the good old days, how on earth would he respond to faceless, anonymous constituents he has NO ties to?

by Anonymousreply 2204/18/2013

[quote]Republicans should have pulled the plug on Mark Sanford.

They don't go for that. Remember Terri Schiavo?

by Anonymousreply 2304/18/2013

In his mind, going to his ex-wife was probably his way of showing there aren't any "hard feelings" on his part or as a tone deaf apology. It cracks me up that he had no clue a move like that typically enrages jilted exes.

by Anonymousreply 2404/18/2013

^I meant going to her and asking her to be his campaign manager.

by Anonymousreply 2504/18/2013

The New York Magazine reporter writes as though Jenny Sanford is casting magic spells to make her ex-husband throw crap into his own path, then step in it.

I think the poster who says the fiance will balk at moving to the sticks is onto something. Not that Washington is too exciting next to Buenos Aires.

by Anonymousreply 2604/20/2013

The dumb fucks of South Carolina will elect him again.

by Anonymousreply 2704/20/2013

I don´t feel the slightest bit sorry for Jenny Sandford. She´s Republican scum through and through just like her ex, and was just stunned that he would screw her just as badly as he screws everybody else. As long as he was being a bastard to the public at large she was happy to stand by his side grinning that Stepford wife rictus grin. Now we´re supposed to see her as some kind of heroine? I´ll pass.

by Anonymousreply 2804/20/2013

Nothing to see here. A self-involved heterosexual white male politician thought he could get away with anything. truly thinking he has something to offer other than his oversize ego. And "the other woman" who now thinks the same thing won't happen to her.

by Anonymousreply 2904/20/2013

[quote]She has seeded the ground with political land mines, stood back, and waited for Mark to step on one.

What's conveniently missing from that "analysis" is that Mark supplied every single one of those so-called land mines.

by Anonymousreply 3004/20/2013

[quote]How Savvy Jenny Sanford Sabotaged Ex-Husband Mark’s Political Comeback

She didn't really sabotage him. He did it to himself and just got caught.

by Anonymousreply 3104/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.