Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cupcake Craze Crashes: Schadenfreude Feeding Frenzy as Icing Comes off the Cupcake

First gold, then Apple shares, now this, the latest, most ominous portent of the End of Days?

[quote]Is there a more widely, vocally despised food than the prissy, expensive, full-of-itself gourmet cupcake? Maybe. Maybe liver, or mushy green beans, or rotten bananas. Maybe a second-hand sandwich long-forgotten in your tote bag and starting to turn green around the edges, which means it's really a science project. But anything found in nature can't really compare to the cupcake in terms of attracting the love of some—cupcake followings abound—and the resentment and deep dislike of many others.

[quote]Cupcake haters, your day has come! The icing is coming off America's cupcake craze. Wring your hands in delirious pleasure and laugh, oh, laugh.

[Full story at link]

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

I'M THE CARRIE!!!

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2013

Crumbs crumbles!

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2013

Stupid article, cupcakes went out in 2008.

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2013

I can hear the screams of anguish from the fraueratti throughout SoHo and the West Village.

Scream fraus! Scream in horror!! Muhahahahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2013

Not sure about you R3, but here in New York cupcakes are definitely a huge thing, or they have been.

More and more shops popping up all the time; and Sprinkles has gone national.. Crumbs went public and is popping up stores constantly, though it sounds like that's stopped.

The cupcake craze is definitely on the way out, but it's still huge. 20, 30 and 40 something women REALLY love their fucking cupcakes.

I pass a Crumbs on Park Avenue every morning around 7:30 a.m. and I SWEAR there are women hovering in there over the cases of cupcakes.

Check out Magnolia Bakery in Grand Central ANY day of the week and there is literally a line around the corner, mostly women begging for cupcakes.

They can't get enough of them. I have no idea why.

For Valentines Day, I spent $150 bringing individual boxes of two cupcakes each to several people I worked with. I swear it made me a hero, even if only for a day.

by Anonymousreply 504/17/2013

Cue the "cupcakes are easy to make!" queens.

by Anonymousreply 604/17/2013

Crumbs got what they deserved. I pass two Crumbs on my 20 minute walk to the gym in the morning. No neighborhood needs that many gourmet cupcake stores.

They made the exact same mistake Starbucks made, but they're probably too dumb to bite the bullet and correct.

by Anonymousreply 704/17/2013

Gluten is evil.

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

There's a person who believes an obvious trend is a staying economic force born every minute.

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

Haven't we moved back onto gourmet donuts? I fucking love the maple-bacon ones.

by Anonymousreply 1004/17/2013

I wish the Food Network would cancel that ridiculous Cupcake Wars show.

by Anonymousreply 1104/17/2013

R9, the couple who sold the stores to the acquisition company did so after they were making $32 million annually.. And remember, that's all local stores, not a nationwide business. That is a LOT of cupcakes.

Crumbs allowed themselves to open too many fucking stores. They're over-staffed and I stopped ordering from them to send to friends and family because the shipping costs are over 3 times more expensive than the pricey cupcakes.

Sprinkles seems to be making it work. Also, according to the article, they have a $53 million projection for 2013, adjusted down from $73 million.

Cupcakes may be a passing fad, but those numbers don't necessarily support that theory. I think there's room for a successful cupcake only company as long as the market isn't so saturated.

Crumbs will still make truck loads of money, they're just being managed poorly. I also suspect they have no centralized baking unit.. Most if not all stores do all their own baking. That's disastrous from a cost standpoint.

If I were put in charge of the company, I'd immediate initiate a central bakery, cut store staff and close the most poorly performing stores immediately. Then I'd market shipping aggressively. Lots and lots of grandmas would buy and ship cupcakes to their grandkids. Lots of boyfriends and girlfriends would send cupcakes to each other, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1204/17/2013

For those who don't care what they look like naked, cupcakes are simply an 'occasional' everyday treat.

by Anonymousreply 1304/17/2013

[quote]I wish the Food Network would cancel that ridiculous Cupcake Wars show.

The Cupcake War Machine won't allow it to be cancelled, you idiot! Repubs, Dems, it doesn't make a difference. They're all under the thumb of Big Frosting. Open your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 1404/17/2013

You put way too much effort into that, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.