Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Boston Bombings Prove That Gun Control Isn't Necessary

'If someone wants to kill people, they'll find a way to do it.'

I keep seeing and hearing people saying this, even people who are middle-of-the-road.

How would you respond?

by Anonymousreply 3504/17/2013

Oh God I was wondering what the imbeciles were going to come up with about the Boston bombing. Morons. IT'S PROOF THAT GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE!?

assholes

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2013

So why not limited some ways they can, if you have the ability too.

Support background checks, limits to clips and assault rifles.

That is what I say.

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2013

I don't get the clip size argument. If someone knows how to speed load or "stack" their clips, the size really won't matter. In some ways it could be a bad idea as there is less chance of a jam with a smaller clip.

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2013

I don't understand their obsession with guns.

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2013

In Arizona the shooter was reloading his clip and he dropped it, a woman grabbed it and then someone else jumped him.

by Anonymousreply 504/17/2013

possibly-international terrorism and domestic gun violence are unrelated, except that they both involve bodily harm

by Anonymousreply 604/17/2013

[quote]I don't get the clip size argument.

It's a shitty compromise. They want to pretend to legislate something that will solve the problem, making the public feel safer.

When another mass shooting happen, people will go, 'see, gun control doesn't work.'

Real gun control would work, but Washington is too chickenshit to do it.

by Anonymousreply 704/17/2013

How about we compare the American body count over the last 20 years from guns v. bombs?

Would they like to play that game?

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

How would you actually respond to someone who said this? Short and sweet people. Go!

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

I did already.

by Anonymousreply 1004/17/2013

Bill Maher made a good point about how idiotic gun owners are when it comes to their nonsense about the govt taking their guns.

Just paraphrasing: Do they understand that regardless of what type of gun they have, if the govt was actually looking to take control, I doubt the gun nuts could take down a drone, tank, F-16, B2-Bomber, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1104/17/2013

Four people died in this bombing, which is an anomaly in American life.

Over 32,000 people die at the end of a gun every year.

Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 1204/17/2013

Also, as Rachel Maddow pointed out, the Newtown guy deliberately left his smaller clips at home or in the car and took the bigger ones with him. He knew he wanted to inflict maximum damage and that it DID make a difference whether he took the larger ones vs. the smaller ones.

by Anonymousreply 1304/17/2013

Think about it: If each citizen carried a gun, then everyone participating in the marathon could have opened fire immediately after the bomb blast. Odds are that the person who planted the bomb would have gotten killed in the huge hail of bullets.

by Anonymousreply 1404/17/2013

Correcting myself a little late, but so be it: B-2 Bomber*

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

r13 thank you

by Anonymousreply 1604/17/2013

I like you, R14

by Anonymousreply 1704/17/2013

With guns allowed, we can act on dangerous impulses. Without guns, we are stuck with natural means (fistfights and words), which leave us hurt but not dead or in jail for the rest of our lives.

Done.

Hatfield and McCoys on netflix are a good example of what can happen when everyone has guns. People die way more often because of how easy it is. Even by accident when you were just pissed off about something.

[bold] Increasing technology exponentially increases consequences.

by Anonymousreply 1804/17/2013

Think about it: people who detonate bombs remotely would think it hilarious if thousands of their intended victims just started spraying each other with bullets while the bombers sat back in a chair enjoying the carnage.

by Anonymousreply 1904/17/2013

[/bold]BOLDING BE GONE!

by Anonymousreply 2004/17/2013

Go away Republcunt OP

by Anonymousreply 2104/17/2013

If that 8-year-old had been packing, he'd still be alive today!!!

How very peculiar gun festishists are.

by Anonymousreply 2204/17/2013

The gun industry has done an amazing job of marketing its products, especially to exactly the sort of angry, paranoid, irresponsible people who really, really can't be trusted with firearms. This is a problem that will take at least a generation to shake out as there are just so many guns out there and people addicted to them. But certainly a reasonable start would be rolling back these insane ALEC-NRA sponsored laws like stand your ground and open carry that enable stupid little bastards like George Zimmerman to run around playing cops and robbers with real guns.

What would really change things would be a shift in attitudes that would strip guns of their sexy Hollywood-driven mystique and force people to face what these things really are, which is expensive, dangerous machines that need proper maintenance and storage and whose use entails maturity, skill and responsibility. I'd like to see public education campaigns similar to the ones used to teach people about drugs and cigarettes and drunk driving that provide a more realistic view of gun violence. I wonder how many Americans have seen what gunshot wounds actually do to a human body.

by Anonymousreply 2304/17/2013

R23, problem is that we live in a society where the govt thinks it's OK to show violence on TV and in movies, but not sex.

Hollywood feels it's easier to make a violent movie than one containing nudity because they know the latter will have them battling the ratings system.

by Anonymousreply 2404/17/2013

This is how I respond:

The nations with the most gun controls in the West are those with the lowest incidence of gun deaths, the state in the US with the most gun control in the US are those with the lowest incidence of gun deaths.

It is so simple and so obvious, it's startling.

by Anonymousreply 2504/17/2013

i love r25

by Anonymousreply 2604/17/2013

[quote]'If someone wants to kill people, they'll find a way to do it.'

Well, then, I guess we don't need laws against murder, either.

by Anonymousreply 2704/17/2013

That nut in Connecticut diidn't walk into the school, and toss in a pressure cooker, now dd he.

Register pressure cooker buyers too!

by Anonymousreply 2804/17/2013

THAT'S WHY EVERYBODY SHOULD HAVE NUCLEAR WEAPONS! - NK and Iran

by Anonymousreply 2904/17/2013

Why not just have your pencil-dick cut off and a gun sewn on instead ? after all, you want to use it to piss over the entire world anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3004/17/2013

Moronic argument at R28, moron.

by Anonymousreply 3104/17/2013

The most reactionary forces in this country are the big corporations. Nothing gets done in Washington because the Senate and Congress can't stand up to the financial might of the pharmaceutical industry, the defence industry, the oil lobby, the . . . It isn't just the NRA that opposes gun restrictions; it's the makers of the guns themselves.

by Anonymousreply 3304/17/2013

The manufacturers and the NRA are one in the same.

by Anonymousreply 3404/17/2013

Easy.

One 4 year old would not make and explode any bomb and accidentally kill while playing a friend kid of 6 year old, or the wife of your neighbour. Or himself.

by Anonymousreply 3504/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.