Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New Zealand legalises same-sex marriage

New Zealand legalises same-sex marriage

by Scott Roberts, 17 April 2013, 11:06am

The Parliament of New Zealand has passed a bill allowing same-sex couples to marry.

On Wednesday, MPs voted in support of New Zealand’s Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill – with a majority of 33.

Seventy seven MPs voted in favour - 44 voted against.

The bill introduces equal marriage for all regardless of sex, sexual orientation or gender identity.

It will now go for royal assent (a formality) before coming into effect within four months of royal assent.

New Zealand is the 13th country in the world to legalise equal marriage.

It is legal in the following countries: Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Uruguay.

Uruguay was the most recent country to introduce the measure this month.

New Zealand has become the second Commonwealth realm, with Elizabeth II as its reigning constitutional monarch, to legalise equal marriage, as Canada legalised equal marriage in 2005.

Before today’s vote, New Zealand Labour MP Louisa Wall, who introduced the legislation, said that the time is right for change.

“Marginalising and discriminating against particular sectors do not benefit society and families,” she said.

“It is a simple choice; do we support discriminatory laws or not? I know I don’t and hopefully that is true of most of the members of this house.”

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013

This makes Australia look even worse.

by Anonymousreply 104/17/2013

Yes, this was already posted in the "What country will be next for gay marriage thread", and probably didn't need a duplicate thread of its own...

by Anonymousreply 204/17/2013

Too bad you don't still live there Sean.

by Anonymousreply 304/17/2013

Progressives in the Labor Party of Australia need to either push Gilliard to support same-sex marriage by giving her an ultimatum or threaten to dump her for a PM who will.

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2013

I wonder if the Pony Prancers will be hoping that all the LOTR guys will marry each other in New Zealand

by Anonymousreply 504/17/2013

The LOTR guys can not marry each other. None of them are New Zealand citizens.

Dominic Monaghan can not marry Elijah Wood, because Dominic is German and Germany strictly bans any gay equality. There was even a time when Germany used to round up gays, en mass, and murder them in concentrations camps.

by Anonymousreply 704/17/2013

Love kiwis!

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

Monaghan is British, not German, R7. Do keep up.

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

NZ lawmaker Maurice Williamson gives a spectacular speech in the first video at link.

by Anonymousreply 1004/17/2013

That's the beginning of the end for New Zealand. Soon they will sink into the sea for embracing sin.

by Anonymousreply 1104/17/2013

"Monaghan was born in Berlin, Germany, to British parents: Maureen, a nurse, and Austin Monaghan, a science teacher.[2] He has an elder brother called Matthew who is the lead singer of the indie band Radiosepia.[3][4] Monaghan's family lived in Berlin, Düsseldorf, Stuttgart and Münster, moving about every four years. When he was about 11 years old, his family moved from Germany to Heaton Moor in Stockport, England."

But do continue to make a fool of yourself on DL R9.....

by Anonymousreply 1204/17/2013

Gilliard says she doesn't care what NZ does, it doesn't change her mind.

by Anonymousreply 1304/17/2013

Gillard is on the LGBT communities danger list with Angela Merkel and Ann Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 1404/17/2013

R12 being born in Germany while his parents worked there doesn't make him German, just like US army brats are American not the nationality of wherever their parents were stationed. If the parents were British and he was brought up in Britain then he's a British.

I was born in Spain while my parents were on holiday, doesn't make me Spanish. If I was I'd manage to get a better tan.

OP, same sex marriage is legal in Scotland as well. The rest of the UK has their own rules but Scotland recognises gay marriage with all the same rights as heterosexual marriage.

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

Good for them!

by Anonymousreply 1704/17/2013

Well I'll be... gays in New Zealand! Who knew!

by Anonymousreply 1804/17/2013

A mroe advanced country than yours R16

by Anonymousreply 1904/18/2013

Meanwhile, France is about to have civil war over this

by Anonymousreply 2004/19/2013

France is not having a civil war about equal marriage. The majority of the population supports it.

What is happening in France, is the anti-gay forces are publicly proving themselves to be violent and terrorist like, which the gay community has known all along. Nice to see the rest of France see this too.

by Anonymousreply 2104/21/2013

Does this mean I can finally marry The Amazing Race's Phil Keoghan?

by Anonymousreply 2204/21/2013

Royal Assent has occurred

by Anonymousreply 2304/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!