Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How is Julia Robert's record on AIDS?

Has she done much to help? Does she deserve her role in The Normal Heart?

by Anonymousreply 5104/20/2013

She's 45. That's 90 in Hollywood years. She deserves to do good work, and I know she can do it if she concentrates.

by Anonymousreply 104/16/2013

What does her record on AIDS have anything with her employment? Its not a requisite to have anything to do with AIDS organizations.

Actress employed to act. The end.

by Anonymousreply 204/16/2013

Well, as far as I know, Julia's never given anyone the AIDS. So there is that.

by Anonymousreply 304/16/2013

I'd rather see Susan Sarandon or even Angelina Jolie in the part.

by Anonymousreply 404/17/2013

Past my hero Meryl Streep, you go down to Julia Roberts, then you go down to Jennifer Lawrence. These gals have to make it to 50, 60, showing that they can earn a buck and really act. Otherwise, there is no hope.

by Anonymousreply 504/17/2013

She didn't get it when she was a heroin addict.

by Anonymousreply 604/17/2013

but The Normal Heart role is different...I think it would have more gravitas if the actress had actually worked against aids in real life.

by Anonymousreply 704/17/2013

No. The job of the actress is to make you believe.

by Anonymousreply 804/17/2013

Why should she have a record on AIDS, OP?

by Anonymousreply 904/17/2013

There's a line between Personal Belief/Life and Actress/Role. Don't blur them OP.

by Anonymousreply 1004/17/2013

AIDS activism/charity work I mean

by Anonymousreply 1104/17/2013

I guess r10....but on the other hand she doesn't usually have the rage and depth to pull off that part but I guess we'll see.

by Anonymousreply 1204/17/2013

Why should she necessarily have a record on AIDS activism/charity work, then?

by Anonymousreply 1304/17/2013

Are you familiar with the part r9/r13? and it's historical context? There were actresses like Elizabeth Taylor, Susan Sarandon, Shirley MacLaine, Angelina Jolie who actually were in the trenchs speaking out when others weren't

by Anonymousreply 1404/17/2013

I will choose to hope they make a good film. That is positive and ultimately reaches a larger audience.

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

Not r9 or r13 what r14? What does hiring an actress for a part have to do with what they did for AIDS?

Your hiring an actress not a company representative.

by Anonymousreply 1604/17/2013

What a completely pointless question and irrational construct you have presented, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1704/17/2013

Wow. What a bizarre question OP. Does she "deserve" her role?! Uhm, she's a Hollywood actress, not The Red Cross. What bizarre politically correct clique do you travel in where actors, who owe us nothing must pursue community service to be considered for certain roles. Do you feel "The Gay Community" is the producer of this project? Weird.

by Anonymousreply 1804/17/2013

Once upon a time, I thought Elizabeth Taylor would have been a good choice. She had acted on stage, due to back problems, in The Little Foxes.

Certainly Taylor's credentials in the early public perception of HIV/AIDS are well known.

I mainly was against Barbra Streisand for fear she'd make the doctor the primary character.

I agree that an actress need not have been heavily involved in the fight to play the part, but it would be nice.

Sarandon is ideal, for me. She's good casting and outspokenly liberal and gay-friendly.

Roberts might be fine, though I doubt her name will attract many viewers now. Catherine Zeta-Jones makes as much sense. CZJ offered to donate her entire salary to AIDS charities. And she's a better actress, IMO.

But I'm open to Roberts. She can act with the right material and a strong director.

by Anonymousreply 2004/17/2013

Those are good options r20 but I can't agree with your reasoning. Sarandon because she's an outspoken liberal and Zeta-Jones because she offered to donate her salary to Aids? So?

The reason enough is that they would be good for the role. No need for the other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 2104/17/2013

I would also like to know what kind of actual work Christian Bale did fighting supervillains before he took the part of Batman!

by Anonymousreply 2204/17/2013

It is an extremely complex role. Very few actresses can convey the panic and fear that the doctor feels regarding how a new virus as coming for her patients just like poliop came for her. Ellen Barkin was pure rage. Kathy Bates was utter brilliance. Julia will be Julia.

by Anonymousreply 2304/17/2013

Has a dingo ever actually eaten Meryl Streep's baby?

by Anonymousreply 2404/17/2013

[quote]It is an extremely complex role.

No it's not at all. It's written by Larry Kramer, who is a hack writer. He is incapable of writing complex roles.

by Anonymousreply 2504/17/2013

That should have read:

"She had acted on stage in a wheelchair, due to back problems, in The Little Foxes."

R21 I said:

"I agree that an actress need not have been heavily involved in the fight to play the part, but it would be nice."

Would you want Deidre Hall playing the part?

Or Patricia Heaton?

Whoever gives a great performance is fine. But I still think someone sympathetic to gays would be a nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 2604/17/2013

As soon as Ryan Murphy was attached, I knew this story was going to be turned into a piece of shit vanity project, with his BFFs taking lead roles (far outside their respective acting ranges).

by Anonymousreply 2704/17/2013

I rather agree with the OP. I don't think there's a chance in hell that Jeremy Renner would have pulled off such a tour de force performance as Jeffrey Dahmer were it not for all they gay brown men Renner had consumed prior to the getting the role.

by Anonymousreply 2804/17/2013

Don't ever be a casting director r26. An actors life, positive or negative, should never influence casting. The only thing in consideration, to eliminate, is box office draw.

by Anonymousreply 2904/17/2013

Her record may not be great, but her presence in the project will attract an audience of people who may not be familiar with how AIDS affected the gay community in the 1980's, and might make them sympathetic to the need for ongoing research and a cure.

by Anonymousreply 3004/17/2013

I apologize for offending any of Julia's fans.

BTW, if you bothered to read my comments, I said I was open to Roberts.

As far as becoming a casting director, I have no plans to change careers. But I wouldn't recommend that field for you, either, if you think Roberts is a big box office draw.

by Anonymousreply 3104/17/2013

[quote]The only thing in consideration, to eliminate, is box office draw.

It is a TV box office. Jim Parsons will bring in more viewers than Julia who?

by Anonymousreply 3204/17/2013

[quote]Has a dingo ever actually eaten Meryl Streep's baby?

It would explain I'm going to answer possibly.

by Anonymousreply 3304/17/2013

Her husband Danny Moder is the cinematographer of The Normal Heart so Julia and the wheelchair will be particularly well lit.

by Anonymousreply 3404/17/2013

Lamest premise ever, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3504/17/2013

r35=worships Julia

by Anonymousreply 3604/17/2013

Don't, actually. But like so many rational posters on the thread, it's stupid to link AIDS activism with playing a part in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 3704/17/2013

so if Anita Braynt had wanted to it she could have

by Anonymousreply 3804/17/2013

Oh, yeah, completely.

by Anonymousreply 3904/17/2013

Sally Field or AnnE would be better!!!

by Anonymousreply 4004/18/2013

This logic won't help us get more gay celebrities out. Because if you're gay, by this logic, you couldn't play a romantic straight lead, could you? Because... you don't have the... experience in real life to qualify.

by Anonymousreply 4104/18/2013

How is Harrison Ford's record on Nazis? Has he done much to help? Did he deserve his role in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

by Anonymousreply 4204/18/2013

Julia Robert narrated a documentary on AIDS and donated her fee to AIDS charities.

by Anonymousreply 4304/18/2013

The thing that bothers me is how ill-suited Julia Roberts seems to be to this role. Dr. Emma Brookner is about as far out of Roberts' wheelhouse as you could possibly think.

Was there ever any discussion about bringing Ellen Barkin back to reprise her Tony Award-winning performance? Ryan Murphy clearly knows her and likes her having prominently featured her in "The New Normal." I thought Barkin's performance in "The Normal Heart" on Broadway was one of the most ferocious tours-de-force I had ever seen. Her second act monologue was an absolute show-stopper and the audience gave her a mid-play ovation (which, I'd never seen before). I just don’t see JR in this role at all.

Barkin's tremendous work was highlighted even more by the fact that I saw Patricia Wettig months later at Arena Stage playing the same role and she was fucking awful.

At the end of the day, though, the role is really NOT that big, so there's no chance of Roberts somehow swooping in and making this all about her.

by Anonymousreply 4404/18/2013

OP, actors don't "deserve" roles. They get them for being good actors and appropriate for the role.

Your name isn't Larry Kramer, is it?

by Anonymousreply 4504/18/2013

Can we please stop replying to this thread? OP is too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 4604/18/2013

[quote]Ryan Murphy clearly knows her and likes her having prominently featured her in "The New Normal.

She was just fired from New I think your sentence should read "liked" not "likes"

by Anonymousreply 4704/18/2013

If they cast a republican like Bruce Willis in the quickly all the "an actor just gets the role if they can act" type trolls would turn.

(I have a feeling there are a lot of actors on this thread. What restaurants do you guys work at?)

by Anonymousreply 4804/18/2013

Was it a disco record or a funk record?

by Anonymousreply 4904/18/2013

Oh, okay, R47. I had no idea. I don't watch the stupid thing. I just knew that she [was] in it at one point.

by Anonymousreply 5004/19/2013

Wasn't "Dying Young" basically an AIDS movie?

by Anonymousreply 5104/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!