Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Hussein' Question

I've been to another discussion forum, about politics, where one Republican voter -- one who has said he/she is a birther -- continuously uses the middle name "Hussein" while posting anything anti-President Obama.

[italic]Barack [bold]Hussein[/bold] Obama[/italic]

Do you think people who do this are racist?

by Anonymousreply 4004/17/2013

It's some combination of xenophobia and racism

by Anonymousreply 104/16/2013

I actually know lots of people who do this precisely to show solidarity with President Obama.

by Anonymousreply 204/16/2013

He's just saying it because the media played it down. Why bother with him? Nobody cared then and nobody cares now.

by Anonymousreply 304/16/2013

I can't see racism in it. There's an implicit 'he's Muslim' ... I expect those types of people would be as unhinged about any Democratic president, black, while, male, female, whatever. The middle name is just an easy win for them.

by Anonymousreply 404/16/2013

It's not racist, but it's typical conservative smearing designed to suggest to likeminded idiots that Obama is FOREIGN in some way, i.e. not a real american and possibly islamic.

by Anonymousreply 504/16/2013

Do you know Joanne Woodward's middle names?

Joanne Gignilliat Trimmier Woodward

by Anonymousreply 604/16/2013

It's technically not racism, but it is bigotry and intentionally hostile, so I voted yes.

by Anonymousreply 704/16/2013

It's a McCain lady thing. Remember McCann lady: he's a, he's a, he's a A-rab. In an odd way, actual racism would be an intellectual step up for those types.

by Anonymousreply 804/16/2013

I think they emphasize the "foreign"-ness of the name "Hussein," (xenophobia) because of underlying racism ( i.e.: this Other/Black person is not someone who should be president)

by Anonymousreply 904/16/2013

What R7 said

by Anonymousreply 1004/16/2013

[quote]I think they emphasize the "foreign"-ness of the name "Hussein,"

Because "Barack Obama" is so white bread. Its a link to what their intended audience (idiots) see as the culprit of 9/11 - Saddam Hussein.

by Anonymousreply 1104/17/2013

They're under the delusion that there isn't a single, tax-paying American with the name "Hussein." They're idiots using it as a pejorative because they think a name alone determines if one is good or bad.

It's absolutely bigoted.

Classic right-wing idiocy. Nothing new.

by Anonymousreply 1204/17/2013

ummmm, that is in fact his name. Not much different than saying George W Bush.

by Anonymousreply 1304/17/2013

R13: Stop being such a moron. Seriously. And the "ummmm" doesn't help.

by Anonymousreply 1404/17/2013

Shall they call him Barack David Obama? What about Barack Mary Obama? Hussein is his middle name, unless I am missing something.

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

Why say his middle name at all, unless you're trying to make a dog-whistle point? Just call him President Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1604/17/2013

George W Bush was rarely called George W Bush by left wing critics. He was called President Bush. Its people like Ann Coulter who love to say it, then play coy like "well it is his name".

Yes, we always said William Jefferson Clinton, all the time. I don't even know what Ronald Reagan or Bush 1's middle names are.

by Anonymousreply 1704/17/2013

Yeah, you're missing that part of your brain where you comprehend that they specifically use his middle name to accentuate his "foreigness."

People even noticed it was left out at the second inauguration. Don't be a fucking idiot. They kept using "H."

by Anonymousreply 1804/17/2013

R17 - actually, George W Bush was called Mr Bush by left wing critics and very rarely President Bush. God fucking forbid we reference dear leader as Mr. Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1904/17/2013

Way to miss the point, R19. And Mr. Obama is perfectly fine.

by Anonymousreply 2004/17/2013

And at what point did they refer to him as "Walker," R19? God forbid you admit the truth about your fucking transparent bigoted party.

We know exactly why they use "Hussein," so you're either a fucking idiot or a liar. Don't even attempt to act like it's used nonchalantly. Are you really going to pretend there isn't hostility towards minorities, particularly Muslims?

I mean shit, the bombs were still going off in Boston, yet the rightwing didn't waste anytime telling us a dozen were killed at the hands of a Saudi.

by Anonymousreply 2104/17/2013

[quote]actually, George W Bush was called Mr Bush by left wing critics and very rarely President Bush.

Proof please?

by Anonymousreply 2304/17/2013

George W. Bush was called George W. Bush to differentiate him from his father George H. W. Bush.

by Anonymousreply 2404/17/2013

Also, calling him "W" was a folksy PR move formulated by his goons. The use of "hussein" by the right wing is used as a pathetic smear.

by Anonymousreply 2504/17/2013

It's not "racism." It's xenophobia and bigotry and we know exactly why the right-wing does it. I'm embarrassed for you that you're attempting to dismiss the reason knowing full-well how the right-wing feels about Muslims in particular.

The right-wing isn't known for being clever. They're incredibly simplistic when it comes to their hate of anyone who they consider "other."

So I'll chalk your attitude up to idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2604/17/2013

Dear leader is the most arrogant, self-aware, self-promoting, egotistical politician the country has ever known. If his middle name was of concern to him, he would have changed it. Nothing about this person is something he didn't manufacture or condone.

by Anonymousreply 2804/17/2013

Says the semi-literate moron at R27

by Anonymousreply 2904/17/2013

Moreso xenophobia than racism. In their eyes, America is a Judeo-Christian and Eurocentric society and names that don't fit with that ideal are suspicious and looked down upon with disdain. I don't think it necessarily has to do with color because if Obama was Mexican or Chinese, they would still harp on about his foreign roots because they believe non-European heritage =suspicious and Anti-American even though they don't want to admit it.

by Anonymousreply 3004/17/2013

They use "Hussein" because they can't get away with using "Nigger."

by Anonymousreply 3204/17/2013

They can't stand the man because he has African heritage and a Muslim name. It's insane how far this country has come. I would have laughed uncontrollably in someone's face a decade ago if someone told me a biracial man with the middle name Hussein would be President Bush's successor.

by Anonymousreply 3304/17/2013

OP, I'm so glad you posted this. I actually had an event when I was sitting in my dentist's chair and he had this conversation with me, and he was getting upset: Why NOT call him Hussein? Why NOT? That's his NAME isn't it??

You can imagine how fucking scared I was hearing all that while he was holding a drill in his hands. I just agreed with him and never went back.

by Anonymousreply 3404/17/2013

R22, mixed metaphor. You have detention for 3 days.

by Anonymousreply 3504/17/2013

Because they all think they are being clever and original, they repeat this tired "joke." Of course it's racist. That's what make republicunts come alive: racism.

by Anonymousreply 3604/17/2013

You should have given us a HELL YES option, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3704/17/2013

I think people who do this, at least in the context you are describing, OP, are appealing to racist and Islamophobic sensibilities by emphasizing the president's middle name.

This is not to imply that everyone who states the president's entire name in every single context is doing so with a racist intent.

by Anonymousreply 3804/17/2013

This is a 2008 question. We've been over this already. Stop feeding the trolls.

by Anonymousreply 3904/17/2013

Actually, I always called W. "Chimp" or "Fuckface."

by Anonymousreply 4004/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.