Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Pat Buchanan Calls For ‘A New Era Of Civil Disobedience’ Against LGBT Equality

As the LGBT community continues to challenge discrimination and win their cases — be it discrimination by florists, bed & breakfasts, or T-shirt printers — conservatives have portrayed themselves as victims, claiming that recognizing LGBT people equally violates their religious beliefs. Their rhetoric has increasingly suggested the need for a backlash, which is exemplified in a new op-ed from Fox News contributor Pat Buchanan. Writing for the extremist site WorldNetDaily, Buchanan argues that the advent of LGBT equality could mean the so-called “culture wars” might have to become literal with conservatives brazenly violating the law.

Buchanan juxtaposes LGBT rights with the racial civil rights movement, openly admitting that religious leaders will have to preach “principled rejection” and encourage their congregations to disobey laws. He believes “treating black folks decently” is the Christian thing to do, but the same can not be said for the LGBT community:

When Martin Luther King Jr. called on the nation to “live up to the meaning of its creed,” he heard an echo from a thousand pulpits. Treating black folks decently was consistent with what Christians had been taught. Dr. King was pushing against an open door.

Priests and pastors marched for civil rights. Others preached for civil rights. But if the gay rights agenda is imposed, we could have priests and pastors preaching not acceptance but principled rejection.

Prelates could be declaring from pulpits everywhere that the triumph of gay rights is a defeat for God’s Country, and the new laws are immoral and need neither be respected nor obeyed.

Comparing inclusive laws like marriage equality to Prohibition, Buchanan predicts that conservatives will have to break the law, unleashing a true “culture war”:

Something akin to this could be in the cards if the homosexual rights movement is victorious – a public rejection of the new laws by millions and a refusal by many to respect or obey them.

The culture war in America today may be seen as squabbles in a day-care center compared to what is coming. A new era of civil disobedience may be at hand.

Such civil disobedience would be a sight to behold: individuals marching demanding their right to discriminate. It would not likely live up to the nation’s creed as King intended. Fifty years ago today he wrote, “The goal of America is freedom,” and Buchanan and his fellow conservative Christians cannot change the fact that the inclusion of LGBT people is required to achieve that goal.

by Anonymousreply 1804/17/2013

What a fine Christian man he is.

by Anonymousreply 104/16/2013

How long til this old fucker dies already?

by Anonymousreply 204/16/2013

The modern Conservative is too feckless, lazy, and craven to do any such thing once it becomes clear they have lost the battle. This will happen very soon. Some of them might even lie and say they "were always for marriage equality" probably. Assholes.

by Anonymousreply 404/16/2013

Let them do it. It's their right and they can face whatever consequences ensue. They're fighting a losing battle.

by Anonymousreply 504/16/2013

There is a special place in Hell for religious leaders who persecute God's gay children.

by Anonymousreply 604/16/2013

Fine by me. I like knowing what businesses are owned by bigots so I can avoid spending money on them.

by Anonymousreply 704/16/2013

Its the dying cry of the bigots.

by Anonymousreply 804/16/2013

What a dilemma for Republican evangelicals: getting money vs. their religion.

by Anonymousreply 904/16/2013

So ugly. Glad they're finally dying out.

by Anonymousreply 1004/16/2013

When has his ilk ever not been uncivil and not disobedient?

by Anonymousreply 1104/16/2013

People may disparage Pat for being old and senile, but here he managed talking about black people without letting the N-word slip. You have to give him props for that.

I'm kind of curious--have there been any recent appearances by "Bay Buchanan" or has Pat given up the drag thing?

by Anonymousreply 1204/16/2013

I'd like for someone to machete his head off but it won't happen. He's such an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 1304/16/2013

Would Westboro protest Buchanan's funeral?

by Anonymousreply 1404/16/2013

I'm surprised Patty has never been caught in a bathroom stall tapping his feet or travelling to Europe with a twinky "luggage carrier." He's so obsessed with queers he must be one, right?

by Anonymousreply 1504/17/2013

Buchanan spent all of his youth as a draft dodger, like many on the right, and now he has a call to arms? We will delight in his death the way the English are currently celebrating the death of Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 1604/17/2013

[quote]I'm kind of curious--have there been any recent appearances by "Bay Buchanan" or has Pat given up the drag thing?

Bay Buchanan retired from politics after Romney lost the election and went into real estate. There was a thread about it at the time that you might still be able to find.

by Anonymousreply 1704/17/2013

Maybe we could bring back stoning(as in Biblical days) just for Pat Buchanan.

by Anonymousreply 1804/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!