Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm officially an apathetic cynic.

First, I am so sad for all those who were affected by the Boston bombings. Truly.

But the media has just tapped me out with the their constant use of hyperbole for every single event. Perspective is so out of whack on a daily basis, that when a true tragedy hits, I just find myself shrugging my shoulders and carrying on with my life. It sucks. I used to be so passionate. I know exactly what every interviewee, pundit, anchor will say: "Freedom! Tragedy! Prayers! Terror! America! Unite!" It all feels like empty rhetoric. Nothing changes. I just don't care anymore.

by Debbie Downerreply 1204/16/2013

You are not alone. We are so so desensitized to death by seeing it flashed across our computers and television screens everyday that it is as commonplace as the weather forecast.

by Debbie Downerreply 104/16/2013

I tend to agree- but you can temper this OP by staying away from network news and the tabloid press.

Stick with the NY Times, News Hour, and BBC and thoughtful news shows on PBS and NPR.

Yesterday when I got home, I switched back and forth for a few minutes between New Hour and CBS and NBC, and never was the difference more stark.

That is my approach.

by Debbie Downerreply 204/16/2013

P.S., as example- yesterday about 30 were killed across Iraq in bombings yesterday- 30- many many more wounded. We sure fixed Iraq, didn't we? Not a word about that on CBS or NBC, but yes, it was covered on News Hours.

by Debbie Downerreply 304/16/2013

I haven't watched the news anywhere but PBS in years. I enjoy News Hour's and BBC's more balanced and drama-free approach to news.

by Debbie Downerreply 404/16/2013

" Thoughts and prayers"

by Debbie Downerreply 504/16/2013

Maybe it has something to do with the your feelings for the Lakers.

by Debbie Downerreply 604/16/2013

I don't know what you're talking about R6.

by Debbie Downerreply 704/16/2013

I haven't watched television in eight years. Can't fuck with my mind

by Debbie Downerreply 804/16/2013

It's three people killed, a couple dozen seriously injured.

It's just an average day in Iraq.

by Debbie Downerreply 904/16/2013

We're all pretty tapped out. It's the over exposure of everything.

Plus the inertia of the real world. If Newtown couldn't get fast movement on gun control, what could ever get anything done? All 9/11 ever got us was taking our fucking shoes off at the airport.

by Debbie Downerreply 1004/16/2013

Just another day in paradise.

by Debbie Downerreply 1104/16/2013

by Debbie Downerreply 1204/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!