Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bullshit from FaceBook - Quotes and posts that are WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Yesterday, the wake of the Boston bombings, several people posted a quote from Mister Rogers where he said that when he was a child and there was something horrific on television, his mother would always tell him to 'look for the helpers'.

Fred Rogers was born in 1928. I highly doubt he grew up watching TV.

Any other examples?

by Anonymousreply 2304/16/2013

I've been avoiding all social media for the last 24 hours. And all cable news. We truly have the worst way of dealing with tragedy in this country.

by Anonymousreply 104/16/2013

But you're missing all the posters of candles and teddy bears, r1!

by Anonymousreply 204/16/2013

That quote from Abraham Lincoln about not believing everything you read on the internet is pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 304/16/2013

The quote related to his seeing scary things "in the news". Not "on TV." And there were plenty of scary things for a child born in 1928 to have seen in the news at that time.

by Anonymousreply 404/16/2013

nice try r4. Just where would he have seen 'the news'? Newsreels were extremely censored and tame and I doubt he was reading the newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 504/16/2013

Why do you doubt he was reading the newspaper? I read the newspaper as a child.

by Anonymousreply 604/16/2013

[quote]Just where would he have seen 'the news'?

Newspapers, Rose! Newspapers newspapers newspapers!

by Anonymousreply 704/16/2013

"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy"

Martin Luther King (not)

by Anonymousreply 804/16/2013

OP, the quote is IN THE NEWS and you are a moron.

NEWSPAPERS! remember them?

by Anonymousreply 904/16/2013

Here it is:

by Anonymousreply 1004/16/2013

OP, you're an idiot:

"Claim: Mr. Rogers said his mother said to look for the helpers"...

TRUE.

Snopes has the details:

by Anonymousreply 1104/16/2013

OP, he said "when something happened in the news." He never said television. Before the advents of TV, people got their news from, well, newspapers. Even the radio.

[quote]Newsreels were extremely censored and tame

They showed the Hindenberg disasters in newsreels, and after WWII, they showed the concentration camps and mountains of dead bodies. Newspapers and magazines also carried these photographs. Children weren't really that insulated.

by Anonymousreply 1204/16/2013

Poor OP thought he was being a smart ass by smearing his "friends" but turned out to not only be an ass himself, but an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 1304/16/2013

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 1404/16/2013

classic 'didn't go the way the op wanted' thread!

by Anonymousreply 1504/16/2013

[quote]I've been avoiding all social media for the last 24 hours.

I have been too. Even before the Boston news came out, I got fed up with facebook when someone shared an annoying photo of Obama which said something about tax day being the day that reminds us all that he spends all our money, or something to that effect.

by Anonymousreply 1604/16/2013

R17, you should always post back to that bullshit, with any of the hundred links showing Obama's spending is the lowest of any President since Eisenhower, and that under obama, the budget deficit has come down every year, farther and faster than at any time since the end of WW2.

Confront ignorance and lies with facts and backed up links.

by Anonymousreply 1704/16/2013

OP is well on his way to become the next most hated OP in DL history right behind Douche Brandon.

by Anonymousreply 1804/16/2013

R19, fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 1904/16/2013

[quote]you should always post back to that bullshit, with any of the hundred links showing Obama's spending is the lowest of any President since Eisenhower, and that under obama, the budget deficit has come down every year, farther and faster than at any time since the end of WW2.

I was tempted to do so, but I really don't know if my FB friend is pro-Republican or just feels like any president spends their money irresponsibly and that Obama just happens to be the president now.

by Anonymousreply 2004/16/2013

I put up that quote from Mr. Rogers on my page cuz that is the only thing that is comforting today. I am in a shit mood, the shit happening in this fucked up country/world is gving me an fucking anxiety attack. It's all I have to keep it together and not go batshit crazy. People suck.

I posted Mr. Rogers cuz he gave me comfort as as child. Nothing happened when he was alive. or at least nothing i knew about cuz i was a child watching Mr. Rogers.

so FUCK YOU OP if you dont like it!!

by Anonymousreply 2104/16/2013

R15, are people really posting that? The guy's real name is Zed 'Watkins' Little, aka "Ridiculously Photogenic Guy."

by Anonymousreply 2204/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.