Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why Is It Expected That One Be Patriotic?

Seriously. Why should the fact that an accident of birth just happened to deposit you in one place (one country) rather than another demand that you feel any sort of profound patriotism toward that country? What if you just don't like it? Why is that such a horrible thing to admit? And why do others almost boil over with rage if you admit to it?

by Anonymousreply 2804/16/2013

Because we are told to.

by Anonymousreply 104/16/2013

We used to say the pledge of allegiance in grade school. Without the silly 'under god' line.

by Anonymousreply 204/16/2013

since we have no choice being born where we are born I've often wondered this too

by Anonymousreply 304/16/2013

Yea, I dont get it as well. I'm grateful I'm an American, but proud? Why? I had nothing to do with it. I'm proud of the things I have accomplished, the things I've achieved. But being proud to be an American is like being proud of having brown hair, or right handed. The same goes with being gay.

by Anonymousreply 404/16/2013

Pride in anything you don't earn or choose (race, looks, wealth, etc) is stupid.

They certainly don't teach objectivity in schools.

by Anonymousreply 604/16/2013

Really, R6 - pride in anything you don't earn or choose (race, looks, wealth, etc) is stupid?

So Gay Pride is stupid too?

by Anonymousreply 704/16/2013

Yes, r7 if you're using the term "pride" correctly, it is stupid. Being gay or straight is nothing to be proud or ashamed of. It's just a natural state of being that you did not choose or earn.

Of course, the term was originally adopted by the gay movement as an emphatic response to those who would heap shame on gay people, so it is understandable for its time. But if you are to reach true equality, you have to move past that to a position of strength where you insist on the truth - that you are as natural as anyone else and that there's no need for pride or shame.

by Anonymousreply 804/16/2013

r8 Thank You ! I thought I was the only one who "got it".

by Anonymousreply 904/16/2013

Patriotism is control.

America is all about control.

by Anonymousreply 1004/16/2013

Pride is just a brainwashing concept used to protect hegemony.

by Anonymousreply 1104/16/2013

I'm an American, but I'd never call myself a patriot. Patriotism is simply wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1204/16/2013

In America you can get away with anything, providing you follow it up with:

by Anonymousreply 1304/16/2013

Because, no matter what you have accomplished in life, you didn't build that.

by Anonymousreply 1404/16/2013

R6, R8, R9, you are incredibly narrow-minded. Being gay is absolutely something to be proud of - as is being straight, bi, or anything else.

What you don't get is that pride does not equal thinking you're "better" than anyone else or anything else.

Imagine two worlds: one in which everyone is proud of who and what they are and one in which nobody is proud of who and what they are out of a misplaced notion that pride equals superiority. Which one do you want to live in?

by Anonymousreply 1504/16/2013

I often wonder that, myself. Nationality is one of the dumbest concepts, and it's variable.

by Anonymousreply 1604/16/2013

[quote]What you don't get is that pride does not equal thinking you're "better" than anyone else or anything else.

No one said anything even remotely like this. There is no point in addressing the rest of your post if that is what you are building it on.

by Anonymousreply 1704/16/2013

The only patriots are dead servicemen. A live patriot is akin to a breathing god.

by Anonymousreply 1804/16/2013

That's why I don't believe in any insurgents or rebels in Iran/Afghan/Syria. Those people could care less who drew a line around a bunch of sand and said, "You are Pakistan now". They live and die in tiny, hyper-religious tribes here and there. Any government has very little interest to them. They're hardly going to die for them.

Any "insurgents" are just paid mercenaries (where the money comes from, who knows? The media certainly aren't going to tell). The guys probably go home to dinner at night.

by Anonymousreply 1904/16/2013

It is used to keep people happy with their scraps and quiet. The powerful people in America aren't patriotic, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 2004/16/2013

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it."

George Bernard Shaw

by Anonymousreply 2104/16/2013

Patriotism is about attaching your own identity to the past, present, and future ideals of the country you were born and raised in. It goes beyond appreciating the things that were made possible because you were born in a country that gave you certain benefits other countries don't give their citizens.

Of course patriotism has become a joke in the US after it has been used by jackasses to further their agenda through public manipulations (support our troops, why do you hate America so much?, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 2204/16/2013

What is r15 smoking? The worst people on this earth are those who are proud. Proud of their countries and proud of their religion.

Insecure people depend on pride i order to boost their esteem. They tell themselves that they are special compared to other people and pride helps them believe that. People who are proud of their patriotism/religion are basically saying: I'm insecure over myself and what little worth I possess but telling people how proud I am of what I am will make them think I'm better than I know I am.

by Anonymousreply 2304/16/2013

I've always wanted to make bumper stickers that say: "God Bless Japan" or "Denmark #1" or "Proud To Be A German" or even "Support Our Troops - IRA"

by Anonymousreply 2404/16/2013

You'd have to be well traveled to get it. Live in another country. Being patriotic isn't about the government, it's about paying taxes and all being in this together. For Americans, it's about the people. Overall, I'd say Americans are just really caring and authentic people. I get goosebumps just thinking about them and I wasn't born here. You should remember we make up so many races and ethnicities without the benefits of socialized health care and other programs. I can understand not being impressed with the generations of the past. Now more than ever with the newer generations correcting the debts of the past...the younger people, be proud. Be patriotic in this solidarity. We're really all we have and we will, together make it better.

by Anonymousreply 2504/16/2013

I'm so glad OP started this thread. I'm American and I get grief even from my Euro friends because they think I "hate America."

by Anonymousreply 2604/16/2013

American Patriotism is mocked today because their is no substance left to back it up.

by Anonymousreply 2704/16/2013

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel."

by Anonymousreply 2804/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!