Since 1995

Stop Referring To People As "Folks"!

Drives me up the wall.

by Anonymousreply 5004/16/2013

How about theater folk?

by Anonymousreply 104/16/2013

From now on, call us ffolkes.

by Anonymousreply 204/16/2013

Worse than that, imo, is "kiddos" for kids.

Drives me NUTS.

by Anonymousreply 304/16/2013

You are correct, OP, "folk" is singular and plural.

by Anonymousreply 404/16/2013

R4. I believe that folk/folks is like staff/staffs. Both are correct.

by Anonymousreply 504/16/2013

Within a couple of minutes of reading your post, R3, I read something on another forum by a woman who described her neighborhood as being "good for kiddos."

I don't think I'd noticed "kiddo" before, but now I can't get its awfulness out of my head. Is it Australian?

by Anonymousreply 604/16/2013

If it's Australian, it's decades old. And I used to live in Australia and none of their many shortened words bugged me then.

But "kiddos" has been popping up a lot lately on my facebook wall and in conversation, and I know it's irrational, but it IRKS me something fierce!

by Anonymousreply 704/16/2013

the one that drives me nuts is 'black folk'. it's so condescending and it was all over DL for awhile, especially during the last election.

by Anonymousreply 804/16/2013

And quit saying focuses!

IT'S FOCI!!!

by Anonymousreply 904/16/2013

"Y'all" immediately tells me the person saying it is an ignorant southerner.

by Anonymousreply 1004/16/2013

I agree, I HATE folks, kiddos, and... PREGGERS! Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 1104/16/2013

"Folks" = news media and Obama.

by Anonymousreply 1204/16/2013

You folks are too touchy.

by Anonymousreply 1304/16/2013

People should stop saying preventative. Preventive has the same meaning.

by Anonymousreply 1404/16/2013

It's also normal in some Southern dialects. Unclench the grammar pearls, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1504/16/2013

Professional, educated people should not be saying "folks". It's patronizing. Obama only does it because he wants to be seen as down with the real 'muricans.

by Anonymousreply 1604/16/2013

I heart R14.

by Anonymousreply 1704/16/2013

Same with "orientated," R14. "Oriented" is the only word you need.

by Anonymousreply 1804/16/2013

Some folks just can't be changed.

by Anonymousreply 1904/16/2013

I hate the silly term "peeps"

by Anonymousreply 2004/16/2013

I like "peeps."

by Anonymousreply 2104/16/2013

Because you're all white and sugary R21,a regular marshmallow.

by Anonymousreply 2204/16/2013

I'm in St. Louis and love it when a waitress asks my partner and me what she can get "for you guyses."

It happens with surprising frequency.

And my favorite quote from a state worker in Iowa who heard I was from St. Louis:

"Ain't that where them arches is?"

by Anonymousreply 2304/16/2013

I've lived a couple of places where a party of more than one person is called "youse."

by Anonymousreply 2404/16/2013

OP

Folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks folks

folks

folks

by Anonymousreply 2504/16/2013

The use of focuses as a verb is correct. You must mean it the plural of focus as a noun?

as in "The class studying hamsters focuses on the rare red bottom and green eared varieties. Those two specifically will be the foci of our next trip. Have I gotten it right?

by Anonymousreply 2604/16/2013

R26, that was perfect, except for the fact that you forgot your close parenthesis after the word "trip."

Correct use of "focuses" and "foci," though.

by Anonymousreply 2704/16/2013

I agree OP. It is an Obama tic I find extremely annoying and condescending, though I don't think that's how he consciously intends it.

There's also a poster here who addresses the DL hoi polloi the same way, beginning sentences with "Folks" before he tells us all how it really is. I leave a thread when he appears.

by Anonymousreply 2804/16/2013

I remember when I was a waiter, I would always ask a table: How are you guys doing today? In SoCal, where I'm from, "guys" is frequently to address a group of people, even if the group is of mixed gender. More than a few times, a woman would reprimand me and say she wasn't a guy.

Okay. I got it. So I changed to: How are you folks doing today? No one seemed to complain, but I always felt weird saying it.

Honestly, how would you address a group? How are you people doing? That sounds way too formal. How is everybody doing? I guess that works. Meh. Who cares?

by Anonymousreply 2904/16/2013

[quote]Correct use of "focuses" and "foci," though.

No, incorrect.

The rule is that when a foreign word becomes thoroughly integrated into English, the plural takes standard English plurals instead of the correct plural in the original language.

The plural of octopus is now octopuses, not octopi as it used to be. The plural of focus is now focuses, not foci. The plural of bureau is bureaus, not bureaux. The plural of opus is now opuses, not opera. The plural of appendix is now appendixes, not appendices.

by Anonymousreply 3004/16/2013

[quote]Honestly, how would you address a group?

If you are a server, I'd prefer, "Good evening. May I tell you about our specials?"

by Anonymousreply 3104/16/2013

"How are you doing today?" or "How are all of you doing today?" would work. "You" is inclusive enough that it doesn't need to be embellished.

by Anonymousreply 3204/16/2013

THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

by Anonymousreply 3304/16/2013

R30, by what authority are you claiming this rule change? Has this been circulated and approved by the proper authorities, and widely disseminated to wordsmiths?

Why have I not heard of it?

by Anonymousreply 3404/16/2013

[quote]And I used to live in Australia and none of their many shortened words bugged me then.

I hate how Australians say "barbie" for "barbecue" or "surfie" for "surfer." They think it's so cutesie. *retch*

I also hate how some people refer to their parents as "my folks." You don't hear that much anymore, but when I watch old movies it grates on my nerves!

by Anonymousreply 3504/16/2013

English has borrowed a great many words from Latin and Classical Greek. The general trend with loanwords is toward what is called Anglicization or naturalization, that is, the re-formation of the word and its inflections as normal English words. Many nouns (particularly ones from Latin) have retained their original plurals for some time after they are introduced. Other nouns have become Anglicized, taking on the normal "s" ending. In some cases, both forms are still competing.

[quote]R30, by what authority are you claiming this rule change? Has this been circulated and approved by the proper authorities, and widely disseminated to wordsmiths? Why have I not heard of it?

It's been this way for decades, in both academic and mainstream circles. I honestly couldn't guess why you've never heard of it.

The problem is that loanwords become fully assimilated at different rates. So some foreign words still take their foreign plurals, while others take English formations. From Wikipedia:

[quote]English has borrowed a great many words from Latin and Classical Greek. The general trend with loanwords is toward what is called Anglicization or naturalization, that is, the re-formation of the word and its inflections as normal English words. Many nouns (particularly ones from Latin) have retained their original plurals for some time after they are introduced. Other nouns have become Anglicized, taking on the normal "s" ending. In some cases, both forms are still competing.

[quote]The choice of a form can often depend on context: for a linguist, the plural of appendix is appendices (following the original language); for physicians, however, the plural of appendix is appendixes. Likewise, a radio or radar engineer works with antennas, but an entomologist deals with antennae. The choice of form can also depend on the level of discourse: traditional Latin plurals are found more often in academic and scientific contexts, whereas in daily speech the Anglicized forms are more common.

Consult any dictionary. I like American Heritage, some prefer Webster's or Collins or even Dictionary.com. You'll see that the English plural is uniformly listed first (as "preferred"), with the foreign-language form listed second, or even listed as obsolete.

by Anonymousreply 3604/16/2013

[quote]that was perfect, except for the fact that you forgot your close parenthesis after the word "trip."

He needed to close the quote (not a parenthesis), R27. No more grammar nazi-ing for you.

by Anonymousreply 3704/16/2013

Is Alicia Minshew contracted with PP?

Are we to assume that Kendall and Tad both died by JR's hand?

by Anonymousreply 3804/16/2013

You people!

by Anonymousreply 3904/16/2013

Advice to public speakers, especially white politicians:

Never address a group of African-Americans as "you people."

by Anonymousreply 4004/16/2013

In the South we just say ya'll! As in, "Howyalldoin?".

by Anonymousreply 4204/16/2013

Agree with the person who objected to being referred to "guys" when in a mixed gender group. Katie Couric always refers to a group of gals as "guys".

by Anonymousreply 4304/16/2013

[quote]the one that drives me nuts is 'black folk'. it's so condescending and it was all over DL for awhile, especially during the last election.

Tavis Smiley says this ALL the time.

by Anonymousreply 4404/16/2013

Reagan love to say it, it was part of his fake populism. His whole bullshit act.

by Anonymousreply 4504/16/2013

When anti semitic asshole Republican Pat Buchanan makes a comment about Jewish "Folks", I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

by Anonymousreply 4604/16/2013

In the North people say "you can fuck me." Down South they have more fun, "Ya'll can fuck me."

by Anonymousreply 4704/16/2013

I don't you'll ever be a kid again, kiddo.

by Anonymousreply 4804/16/2013

I hate being addressed as "folks" because it's usually followed by something bossy.

by Anonymousreply 4904/16/2013

[quote] Down South they have more fun, "Ya'll can fuck me."

"Y'all" is the plural form of "you," so saying that would only be appropriate if you're planning to be the bottom at a gangbang.

by Anonymousreply 5004/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.