Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Emma Watson Turned Down Disney's Cinderella

Why?!?!?!

She was fantastic in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, This Is The End will be huge, and Cinderella would have been a HUGE deal and would have served as the final blow to smashing the Hermione image.

I mean, Bling Ring looks brilliant, but it's not going to be the big deal that Cinderella (directed by Kenneth Branagh) is going to be.

Bad career move?

by Anonymousreply 3811/22/2014

She starred in 8 blockbusters in a row. If she's being smart financially, she has enough "fuck you" money to not have to worry about any career move whatsoever. She can take whatever role interests her if any, or she can stay home, grow a garden & learn to knit. I'm not terribly worried about her, she seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 104/16/2013

Now the role is down to between Kristen Stewart or Miley Cyrus. Watson would have been much much better.

by Anonymousreply 204/16/2013

R2, that's not true.

I'm not surprised she turned it down. I think she's done making family films.

Cate Blanchett is playing the evil stepmother.

by Anonymousreply 304/16/2013

Like Radcliffe, she wants to make the transition from children's films; it makes sense for her career.

by Anonymousreply 404/16/2013

If Blanchett is playing the evil stepmother, no one is going to notice who's playing Cinderella. Smart move.

by Anonymousreply 504/16/2013

Maybe she hates Kenneth Branagh??? They've worked together before.

by Anonymousreply 704/16/2013

Good move, girl! Seriously, she's a sophisticated young woman, the last thing she needs to do is to play a teen ingénue in another family-friendly, Fantasy-genre blockbuster.

Let someone else get blown off the screen by Blanchette.

by Anonymousreply 804/16/2013

I thought I saw rumors that she is supposed to play Belle in Gulliermo Del Toro's version of Beauty and the Beast? For this movie, it sounds like the front runners are Bella Hathcoate, Lily James and Margot Robbie. And on the shortlist to play the Prince is Richard Madden. Curious as to who the final cast will be.

by Anonymousreply 904/16/2013

I don't think he's making it anymore, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1004/16/2013

The issue probably boils down to money. Disney is notoriously cheap with their talent. Why should she tie herself up making peanuts when at the same time she could do something else that will pay her really big bucks.

Many actors agree to do a Disney picture because of the prestige associated with the studio and not because of the money.

by Anonymousreply 1104/16/2013

Probably because she does not want to be recognized as a child actor.

by Anonymousreply 1204/16/2013

It'll probably be Margot Robbie. She was absolutely gorgeous in Pan Am and she'll be playing Leonardo DiCaprio's character's wife in Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street.

by Anonymousreply 1304/16/2013

I think she should have accepted. It would have given her some box office clout away from the HP series, and given her more opportunities for the adult roles she's so keen on doing.

That said, she's set for life and probably doesn't give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 1404/16/2013

I misread this at first as Emma Roberts since I connected her with her Aunt's shitfest version.

by Anonymousreply 1504/16/2013

Lily James was just cast as Cinderella.

I still think Watson made a mistake here.

by Anonymousreply 1604/30/2013

Any chance it was a result of the Harry Potter world being at Universal Studios rather than Disney? Maybe her biz team thought it unwise to associate her with such a prominent Disney character. It is Cinderellas's castle that's the iconic landmark of both WDW and WDL after all.

by Anonymousreply 1704/30/2013

She just doesn't want to do kid movies.

The thing is, though, this movie would give her a lot of buzz and potentially give her more opportunities to do the kind of movies she wants to do. It worked for Amy Adams with Enchanted.

by Anonymousreply 1804/30/2013

Right r18, and where is Amy Adams now? After her role in Julie and Julia, I haven't seen much of her.

by Anonymousreply 1904/30/2013

R19, is that sarcasm? She's only had 2 Oscar nominations since then and is playing Lois Lane in the new Superman.

by Anonymousreply 2004/30/2013

She should do Into the Woods instead.

by Anonymousreply 2104/30/2013

It was announced that Richard Madden is indeed playing the Prince in this flick.

by Anonymousreply 2205/09/2013

Becaussse ssshe knowsss I wasss the bessst CCCinderella ever!

by Anonymousreply 2305/09/2013

I still have to go old school (i could feel some of you cringe and I enjoyed it) with this one and say Leslie Ann Warren was the best Cinderella eva.

Gotta get somebody with big eyes and a simple pretty face who can convey the same kind of hope and wonder and innocence that she did. I believed everything Leslie said and sang and I still get pulled in when I see it. She was all in with her performance and it shows. She believed it, so we believed it.

Good luck finding another American to play anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 2405/09/2013

Lily James isn't American.

by Anonymousreply 2505/09/2013

Not feeling the Lily James selection.

by Anonymousreply 2605/09/2013

Oh, gosh. Do they realize she's not that good?

by Anonymousreply 2705/09/2013

The trailer bought out my inner queen. That looks like Robb Stark.

by Anonymousreply 2811/20/2014

r28 That is indeed a clean shaven Robb Stark, Richard Madden.

by Anonymousreply 2911/20/2014

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3011/20/2014

She didn't want to play another fantasy character, and wanted to expand herself to real roles. Also, something about Cinderella being anti-establishment. "Cinderella, had begun to shed her rags and was getting ready to enter the ballroom." Unfortunately, Cinderella took long to dress for the ball, and lost her way as she sought to get there.

by Anonymousreply 3111/20/2014

The trailer looks really good, but who's playing the Prince? He is a dreamboat!

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2014

I actually wouldn't mind seeing this.

by Anonymousreply 3311/20/2014

I saw the preview for "Cinderella" yesterday, and it looks like Emma Watson is a very smart girl.

by Anonymousreply 3411/20/2014

Those pretty Downton girls have been busy!

by Anonymousreply 3511/20/2014

Why does Cate Blanchett look like a 40's Hollywood vamp and everyone else look like they're in a fairytale?

by Anonymousreply 3611/20/2014

Emma Watson's career is going just fine, OP - get a life.

by Anonymousreply 3711/20/2014

r32 The prince is played by Richard Madden. r30, I agree-he is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3811/22/2014
Need more help? Click Here.