Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Flying To Australia From The United States

What is it, about 18-20 hours? How can another stand a flight this long?! Doesn't everyone stink?

by Anonymousreply 4604/16/2013

1st class has showers.

by Anonymousreply 104/15/2013

R1 must be rich.

by Anonymousreply 204/15/2013

It's about 14 from LA or Dallas. When you come back try to stay up the entire flight. It will get you back on schedule much faster.

by Anonymousreply 304/15/2013

The only commercial carrier that has showers is Emirates and then only on their A380s. Currently, they do not operate any flights from the US to Australia. The flight time is about 14 hours from the west coast. The flight is long (I'm on the west coast). Each time I land in SF, I thank the good lord I don't have to get on another plane for an additional five or six hours to go to JFK and I always fly business!!!

by Anonymousreply 404/15/2013

R5 It's a good excuse for me to stop off in SF or LA for a bit when I come back.Then come back home to the NYC area.

by Anonymousreply 504/15/2013

The secret may be to charter a private jet.

by Anonymousreply 604/15/2013

OP's right, it's better to walk.

by Anonymousreply 704/15/2013

OP, don't take an Ambien inflight and drink alcohol. There have been several episodes of bizarre behavior on flights where passengers have stripped or bit crew members and been arrested and this combo was the cause.

by Anonymousreply 804/15/2013

I bring a ream of printed lyrics to good musicals and start a sing-a-long.

The rule is that you don't get to join in for [italic]Memory[/italic] if you haven't paid your dues during [italic]Old Deuteronomy[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 904/15/2013

Xanax

by Anonymousreply 1004/15/2013

Ive done really long flights. Basically they just keep feeding you. And yea, by the time you land the plane is a pigsty.

by Anonymousreply 1104/15/2013

I knew people who would stop off in Tahiti en route. Air Tahiti has a special deal.

See link below.

by Anonymousreply 1204/15/2013

Singapore keeps the plane spotless in flight but not worth going out of the way except maybe to EWR.

Virgin Australia probably has the best flights. Qantas to Dallas is convenient but any nonstop flight that says "arrive 2 days later" is a bit daunting (DFW-BNE). Hawaiian now has flights to Brisbane, HNL could be a good stopover on the way to EWR.

by Anonymousreply 1304/15/2013

Why are people mentioning Dallas so much?

by Anonymousreply 1404/15/2013

LAX has flights that depart 10PM'ish. The first time I flew down there, I had a few drinks at the airport, took a Xanax when the flight departed and woke up about 45 minutes outside of Sydney. It's a much easier flight than I thought it would be.

by Anonymousreply 1504/15/2013

R14, Qantas recently inaugurated their DFW-SYD nonstop as part of their strengthening code share with American...

by Anonymousreply 1604/15/2013

OP, the trick is not to think of it as a 14 hour flight. When you get on it's 14 hours but then it's only 13, then 12, 11, 10, etc. It works for me.

by Anonymousreply 1704/15/2013

The flight from Detroit to Beijing in the mid-90s was perfectly fine. There was a 2 hour layover in Osaka, but in total, it was like a 20 hour adventure.

Just take a shower before you head to the airport, wear very light clothes, and you're good to go.

by Anonymousreply 1804/15/2013

I like the length of the flight better than going to Europe.

After they serve a several course dinner, I take an Ambien and sleep for 8 hours. Have breakfast and land.

Going to Europe, I can only sleep an hour or two.

by Anonymousreply 1904/15/2013

[quote]Ive done really long flights. Basically they just keep feeding you. And yea, by the time you land the plane is a pigsty.

The worst is when flying from West Africa to Europe. A lot of the W. Africans, at the end of a meal, toss leftover food on the floor to be eaten by the goats. (When you don't have doors, the animals walk right in.) They do the same on the plane. It truly is a pigsty when the plane lands. The people doing it, aren't doing it to trash the plane. It was just the way they lived at home. After spending time in some African nations, you arrive home and appreciate the doors, windows, running water, and electrictity that you never got your attention in the past.

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2013

[quote] If you can choose, fly via SFO!

Why would I do that when I live in LA?

by Anonymousreply 2204/15/2013

R22 thinks he's the only person reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 2304/15/2013

Oh dear, R20, the islands have been irradiated due to depleted uranium, atomic testing, and Fukishima.

It is suicide to even visit those islands. The inhabitants are some of the sickest people on earth. There is no paradise except for the one you create within your mind.

by Anonymousreply 2404/15/2013

With family in both countries I fly across pretty regularly. I don't do the non-stop anymore if I can avoid it, and as I work for myself I can add afford to take my time. I usually stop Hawaii for a few days. Stopping in Hawaii gives more choices of onward mainland US destinations as well. I've done Cairns - Tokyo - Honolulu - LA, which is a good way to go as all the legs are less than 8 hours.

Rarotonga is a good stopover destination too, although there's only one Rarotonga - LAX flight a week on Air New Zealand.

I've found Air New Zealand to be the best way to cross the pond. You do have to stop in Auckland, but if you're flying into Adelaide or Perth, a stop in Auckland is no different than a stop in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane (and actually better as the US - Auckland leg is a bit shorter).

I wouldn't fly United non-stop again...

by Anonymousreply 2504/15/2013

I've flown LAX to Sydney once. It was business class. I remember having a great meal. Drinking way too much. Falling asleep. Waking up after what seemed a very long sleep, only to discover we were only halfway there. I had a minor panic attack, which I treated with more alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 2604/15/2013

I've done it, OP.

In '85 I flew DL from N.O, to DFW, to LAX (now on AZ), to Nadi, Fiji where were stayed for two days. Then onto to AUK. On the way home it was SYD, AUK, LAX, DFW, N.O. with no stops.

Long damn day, for sure.

I think we saw the sun rise and set three X on the way back .. but I stayed pretty drunk on AZ's scotch.

Today I would price out a Star Alliance route beginning N.O. to ATL to Cape Town to any city SAA flies to in Australia.

But if you're in LA, then by all means fly from there.

And if, if, if you have the coin -- spring for an upgraded class. I could not afford it back then and it was rough. As someone said up thread, the plane in coach is a sty by the time you land.

An upgrade will help you avoid the "steerage" experience.

by Anonymousreply 2704/15/2013

Save all your miles and add money to them and fly business class. It's the only way to consider the trip to Australia anywhere in the U.S. That way at least you'll get a little more attention and a lot more leg room. And every little bit will help make the time bearable.

by Anonymousreply 2804/15/2013

Although it will take longer, I think I'll just take the train.

by Anonymousreply 2904/15/2013

Is it true that if you don't get up during the flight you will get blood clots in your legs and die?

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2013

That's true R30,

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2013

R30 that's why at every airport, all you see is them carrying dead bodies off every plane. If you haven't seen it, aybe it doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 3204/15/2013

I went to Tokyo a few years ago from the east coast. The plane was raunchy by the time we landed. Person in front of me spilled their drink which ran under my seat. Bathrooms were raunchy and didn't have any toilet paper by the time we landed.

I'm heading to Australia next week. Landing in Sydney and returning from Melbourne. Anyone have suggestions for a 12 hour layover at LAX?

by Anonymousreply 3304/16/2013

Taking an Ambien and sleeping during a long flight is idiotic...unless you *want* to die of deep vein thrombosis.

by Anonymousreply 3404/16/2013

Ambien.

End of thread.

by Anonymousreply 3504/16/2013

[quote]unless you *want* to die of deep vein thrombosis.

Told ya!

by Anonymousreply 3604/16/2013

Blood clots from a long flight -- isn't this what they suspect caused Tim Russert's sudden death?

by Anonymousreply 3704/16/2013

they knew it all along

by Anonymousreply 3804/16/2013

I flew from NYC to Bangkok once. All together it was a 22 hour flight. I am a very zen person, so that helps. But if you're not naturally calm then I suggest packing some sedatives. It's also nice to have an iPod so you can listen to music.

For those concerned with being fresh, you can always bring a towel with you and use the bathroom sink for an "Irish shower". At least your pits will be clean.

The thing to know about long flights is the sheer amount of food they serve. So many elaborate meals and snacks in between. Not to mention the constant coffee/tea girls and the random glasses of apple juice they like to serve at midnight. I still haven't figured what the midnight apple juice is about...

by Anonymousreply 3904/16/2013

I had a friend who flew to Thailand and she said she had a layover in (I think) Tokyo. At the airport you could rent shower stalls or little pods to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 4004/16/2013

[quote]Today I would price out a Star Alliance route beginning N.O. to ATL to Cape Town to any city SAA flies to in Australia.

Um, have you even *flown* since '85? There are no Star Alliance carriers flying out of ATL, at least not to Africa. Your only option is Delta, and even they don't have a nonstop to CPT; you have to connect via Jo'burg. The ATL-CPT leg would take 19 hours alone.

Or, you could hop on AA from MSY-DFW (90 minutes) and connect to a Qantas flight to SYD (via BNE on the outward leg, nonstop on the return).

Btw deep vein thrombosis is both extremely rare and only occurs if you sit in coach and don't move your legs at all during a flight. It can easily be avoided by either walking around a bit in-flight or, better yet, sleeping on a comfy flat-bed seat in business or first.

by Anonymousreply 4104/16/2013

Thanks for setting me straight, r41.

I was under the mistaken impression that Delta was a member of the Star Alliance.

Were they, at one time?

Ha, ha -- and no, I don't fly as much these days.

by Anonymousreply 4204/16/2013

R41 -- you sound like a genuine Flyertalker!

by Anonymousreply 4304/16/2013

R21 reminded me of a bizarre experience on a flight I had once when I was a flight attendant. We were flying Boston to DC (or vice versa, can't remember) and there was a group of about 20 Asian people, not sure what specific country they were from. They didn't speak any English at all. One by one they used the restroom, and not one person closed the restroom door (this AC had a sliding door, it wasn't the usual "swinging" door). Ah well. Cultural differences!

by Anonymousreply 4404/16/2013

I fly London to Melbourne at least once a year which is way worse than most US to Oz flights, other than from NYC I expect. It's at least 22 hours, with a short stop usually either in Singapore, HK or Kuala Lumpur depending on who you fly. The london to asia leg alone is about 13 hours. I can cope with going straight through in premium economy (or above, I wish) but in ordinary economy I now spend a night in the stopover city, otherwise it's too awful.

by Anonymousreply 4504/16/2013

This is nothing - next week I fly from Sydney to London - 24 hours of non-stop pleasure.

This is just a first world problem though isn't it? It's not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 4604/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.