Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How come they never made a biopic about Jean Seberg?

Seems like a lot of good stuff....I mean they did Julia Child etc.

by Anonymousreply 3204/16/2013

Good topic. Who do you think should play her?

by Anonymousreply 104/15/2013

Amanda Seyfried?

Anne Hathaway?

Selena Gomez?

by Anonymousreply 204/15/2013

It's actually hard to make a good script out of such downbeat material. A little youthful success, followed by years and years of failures and bad choices.

Fun, fun, fun to watch!

by Anonymousreply 304/15/2013

Michelle Williams.

by Anonymousreply 404/15/2013

I 100% agree with you OP. I wonder if Burt Reynolds murdered her? They said his temper was incredibly violent and uncontrollable. Why would she make a sandwich and then commit suicide? that doesn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 504/15/2013

This has to be a joke thread, right? There was of course a Jean Seberg musical over a decade ago, at the National Theatre in London. It did not run very long, had to be very downbeat ... is there even an original recording album?

It might actually do a lot better now, as Seberg and her story gets more and more known ?

The music was actually by Marvin Hamlisch!

by Anonymousreply 604/15/2013

and more ...

by Anonymousreply 704/15/2013

There was supposed to be one, like ten years ago, Kirsten Dunst was the lead, but like her Blondie biopic it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 804/15/2013

Send for Sienna - Miller that is. She has already played Edie Sedgewick and Tippi Hedren. Playing Jean Seberg will elevate her to superstar status and she looks rather like her.

by Anonymousreply 904/15/2013

There's a pirate recording of "Seberg", R6. It's actually fairly moving.

by Anonymousreply 1004/15/2013

[quote] Send for Sienna - Miller that is. She has already played Edie Sedgewick and Tippi Hedren. Playing Jean Seberg will elevate her to superstar status and she looks rather like her.

Then she can play Keith Moon in his biopic that's been in the planning stages for 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 1104/15/2013

Unfortunately Sienna Miller is too busy preparing her new biopic "MERYL".

by Anonymousreply 1204/15/2013

[quote] Why would she make a sandwich and then commit suicide?

I'm not angry at you I'm angry at the sandwich!

by Anonymousreply 1304/15/2013

[quote] Why would she make a sandwich and then commit suicide?

She realized she'd used Kraft Miracle Whip instead of Hellman's

by Anonymousreply 1404/15/2013

"Fun, fun, fun to watch!"

Then maybe you should stick with Fried Green Tomatoes and Steel Magnolias, sweetie.

by Anonymousreply 1504/15/2013

I met her as a child in Iowa. She was the niece of my dad's business partner.

by Anonymousreply 1604/15/2013

In 1995, a documentary of her life was made by Mark Rappaport, titled "From the Journals of Jean Seberg." Mary Beth Hurt played Seberg in a voice-over. Hurt was also born in Marshalltown, Iowa, in 1948, attended the same high school as Seberg, and Seberg had been her babysitter. A musical, "Jean Seberg", by librettist Julian Barry, composer Marvin Hamlisch, and lyricist Christopher Adler, based on Seberg's life, was presented in 1983 at the National Theatre in London.

"Movie Star: The Secret Lives of Jean Seberg" by Tammy and Kelly Rundle of Fourth Wall Films and author Garry McGee is due to premiere at the festival in November 2013. The documentary includes interviews with Jean’s immediate family, friends, teachers and colleagues.

by Anonymousreply 1704/15/2013

The Black Panther stuff might be too militant for fraus. Her death is mysterious and she was targeted by the U.S. government. Not pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 1804/15/2013

I remember reading a bio on her years ago. I also thought her life would make a great bio-pic and I also remember that Jodie Foster was mentioned as playing her.

I don't think the 'Panther' connection would be a problem.

I've also wondered why Montgomery Clift's life has been ignored as well.

by Anonymousreply 1904/15/2013

They had Wes Bentley lined up for a Clift film years ago. Jean Seberg was pretty beautiful. Hard role to fill

by Anonymousreply 2004/15/2013

Jodie Foster was circling the material for years. She seems all wrong though and now is too old. Doubt it could get made on the big screen now but I could see a cable channel doing it.

I finally saw some of BREATHLESS on TCM. That performance is so modern. She's perfect in BONJOUR TRISTESSE. I love that one and such an underrated film.

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2013

Carey Mulligan IS Jean Seberg!

by Anonymousreply 2204/15/2013

Jodie Foster would have been an abysmal choice to play Jean Seberg. Seberg was vunerable, wispy, and very pretty. When I saw "Breathless" I was amazed at how beautiful she was (the pixie haircut emphasized her gorgeous face). Foster has always had a mannish vibe to her, a chunky build, and by no stretch of the imagination was she ever even remotely pretty. Nothing wrong with that. But her type would have been totally wrong for the role of Jean Seberg.

by Anonymousreply 2304/15/2013

[quote]Why would she make a sandwich and then commit suicide?

She should've let the sammich do it for her.

by Anonymousreply 2404/15/2013

The problem with a Montgomery Clift bio is the same as with Seberg - so downbeat. Early success followed by bad choices, wasted brilliance, substance abuse, and an early death.

by Anonymousreply 2504/16/2013

It was Inger Stevens, not Jean Seberg who dated Burt Reynolds. Yes, they found a sandwich half made in the kitchen when they found Inger dying on the floor. And Yes, Burt probably did it.

by Anonymousreply 2604/16/2013

Because Jean Seberg was a world class fuckup. She had incredible chances and threw them away. Probably these days she'd be diagnosed as bipolar or borderline. Anyway, she was a big-time loser with no one to blame for it but herself. Not exactly a dramatically compelling story.

by Anonymousreply 2704/16/2013

LOVE Bonjour Tristesse.

by Anonymousreply 2804/16/2013

[quote]The problem with a Montgomery Clift bio is the same as with Seberg - so downbeat.

As if the biopics on Marilyn, Judy, Jeanne Eagles, Frances Farmer, Piaf, and Edie Sedgwick were upbeat, life-affirming fare.

by Anonymousreply 2904/16/2013

I think it would make a compelling story. I'd rather they went with an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 3004/16/2013

Her beauty was so delicate, almost ethereal. I can't think of anyone who could play her convincingly.

When Breathless first came out, she and Belmondo were the sexiest people I had ever seen on a movie screen. I've seen it at least 10 times since then and haven't changed my mind.

One of my friends thought it might be the character Belmondo played, so we went to see the Gere version and laughed for weeks afterward.

by Anonymousreply 3104/16/2013

I, too, love Bonjour Tristesse.

While I agree she had a sad life and it could be a very downbeat film, I've loved many films with sad themes.

She was outspoken about black rights at a time when upcoming Hollywood actresses didn't embrace such causes.

I bio I read about her said J. Edgar Hoover leaked info to Joyce Haber--then a powerful gossip columnist with the LA Times--stating, incorrectly, that she was pregnant with the head of the Black Panthers. Haber passed it along in the form of a thinly-veiled blind item.

The stress led to Seberg's late term miscarriage. A story, perhaps apocryphal, claimed she buried the baby in a glass coffin to prove the rumor a lie. In any case, people who saw the baby said it didn't appear to have had a black father.

Apparently, each year on the anniversary of the the baby's death, she attempted suicide. Eventually she died of a barbiturate overdose, found in her car days later, decomposing.

So, I wouldn't say her death was entirely her fault, as has been stated upthread.

by Anonymousreply 3204/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.