Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I've got Lucille Ball blaring on my stereo.

The MAME soundtrack. If he walked into my life. This is like the fifth time in a row I've listened to it tonight.

That's right, bitches. I'm in heartbreak mode. I've got it bad. I've just listened to an hour of Martha Raye.

After this, I think I'll put on a little Linda Eder. Or maybe go through my Linda Ronstadt collection.

I hope my neighbors don't mind. I don't have it too loud. And at least I'm off tomorrow. I can have my party until as late as I want.

by Anonymousreply 2804/24/2013

Lucy's version of this song is actually quite moving and heartbreaking - her best vocal in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 104/14/2013

[quote]That's right, bitches. I'm in heartbreak mode.

I'd be too, after hearing her croak through "Open a New Window."

by Anonymousreply 204/14/2013

OP, I wisely suggest you turn it down.

by Anonymousreply 304/14/2013

Why would you play Lucille Ball's version?

by Anonymousreply 404/14/2013

Find a frog. The croaks sound the same

by Anonymousreply 504/14/2013

Does the scent of vasoline emanate from the CD?

by Anonymousreply 604/14/2013

There is a soundtrack?

10,000 posts on Datalounge about LUCY MAME, and no one has ever mentioned this.

by Anonymousreply 704/14/2013

I'm fingering myself to Stone Pillow!

by Anonymousreply 804/14/2013

I beg you to listen to Leslie Uggams version of that song if you must wallow.

What will your neighbour's think?

Lucy, Ball, "singing", loudly?

Don't do this to anyone, please.

by Anonymousreply 904/15/2013

[quote]I beg you to listen to Leslie Uggams version of that song if you must wallow.

Huckada bajeepers!

by Anonymousreply 1004/15/2013

I'm picturing the OP lounging on a divan in a matching caftan and turban, smoking a Virginia Slims in a cigarette holder in one hand with a Cosmo in the other while listening to the "Mame" soundtrack. And the air reeks of Tabu.

by Anonymousreply 1104/15/2013

[quote]10,000 posts on Datalounge about LUCY MAME, and no one has ever mentioned this.

Many years ago I wrote of my young show-queen's thrill at discovering this album in a used record store. I was appalled and fascinated and hooked for life upon the first listen to Lucy's gloriously toneless caterwauling.

by Anonymousreply 1204/15/2013

r11, don't forget the porcelain Lladro figurines on the chrome etagere in the background, or the white Persian cat named "Countess" curled next to his lap on the divan.

by Anonymousreply 1304/15/2013

Or the Erte costume sketch reproductions on the walls, behind dusty-rose colored mattes and 70s Art Deco-style gold-colored frames!

by Anonymousreply 1404/15/2013

I am here to rescue the OPs neighbours.

Here is Julliard trained, gorgeous mezzo belter Leslie Uggams, singing your song beautifully.

She makes Jerry Herman cry at the end.

I am sure that Lucy did too.

by Anonymousreply 1504/15/2013

What Martha Raye were you listening to, OP? Her version of "Once In A While"?

by Anonymousreply 1604/15/2013

How do you people know all of this stuff???

by Anonymousreply 1704/15/2013

mmmm... I'm not one for people shooting their neighbors, but in this case you'd be lucky to live through the night.

by Anonymousreply 1804/15/2013

Who [bold]are[/bold] these people you speak of OP?

by Anonymousreply 1904/15/2013

R15 Uggams is terrific but a little too pristine for my tastes.

There's just something about Ball's vocals on that song that just tear into our heart and rip it out. That version is the definition of "the walking wounded". Perfect number for when the world is throwing tinted gauze over you and the stardust has stopped.

I'm feeling better today.

by Anonymousreply 2004/15/2013

This needs to be merged with the "How close are you to suicide" thread.

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2013

I eat old people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 2204/15/2013

I'm crying as I type this

by Anonymousreply 2304/15/2013

I think Ball's simple and towering tour de force performance of this song is the equal to, if not the better of, the Oscar winning Jennifer Hudson's And I Am Telling You and Anne Hathaway's I Dreamed A Dream. It is positively criminal that Lucy was not nominated for MAME. It was unjustly the result of an anti-musical backlash at the time and the bias against a television actor starring in a theatrical film.

by Anonymousreply 2404/15/2013

R7 - Rhino put out a limited CD pressing of the LUCY/MAME soundtrack a few years back. The best thing about it, the booklet with color photos.

by Anonymousreply 2504/15/2013

If Ball had the good sense to just be an investor/producer in the project, I wonder who might have played the part...

Realistically, Angela Lansbury wasn't going to headline a major movie like MAME. Bedknobs was rather a fluke.

I think Liza Minnelli would've been a smart choice.

by Anonymousreply 2604/15/2013

[quote]Lucy's version of this song is actually quite moving and heartbreaking - her best vocal in the movie.

More moving, indeed, than a laxative!

Just listen:

by Anonymousreply 2704/24/2013

Why didn't they get Annette Warren to dub her. She was a good match pre-I Love Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 2804/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.