Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GAME OF THRONES, 4/14/13, "Walk of Punishment"

Khaleesi makes a bold move in her negotiations to acquire a slave army in the Essos city of Astapor.

Meanwhile, back in Westeros, Tyrion receives new responsibilities. Jon Snow is taken to the Fist of the First Men. Arya learns more of the Brotherhood without Banners. And Stannis asks Melisandre for another "baby."

Plus we finally meet Catelyn's uncle, The Blackfish, as well as her brother Edmure Tully in the Riverlands as she and Robb travel there for her father's funeral.

by Anonymousreply 8904/22/2013

A new toy on the credits tonight: Riverrun, the home of the Tullys.

by Anonymousreply 104/14/2013

Great sequence of the funeral of Catelyn's father, with her brother Edmure's incompetence (and his shame at it) and their uncle The Blackfish's contempt for him all established wordlessly.

by Anonymousreply 204/14/2013

My dragons!

by Anonymousreply 304/14/2013

HA! Another great wordless sequence with the seating of the Small Council!

Whoever wrote & directed this episode is pretty clever.

by Anonymousreply 404/14/2013

Loved the little scene with Arya saying goodbye to Hot Pie.

by Anonymousreply 504/14/2013

The giant harpy statue on the gates of Astapor is pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 604/14/2013

Alfie Allen's ass! And the threat of gay rape!

by Anonymousreply 704/14/2013

r4, this episode was co-written by the man himself George R.R. Martin along with showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Saving the best info for last - this is the very first episode directed by showrunners Benioff and Weiss.

by Anonymousreply 804/14/2013

Well, the rumors a major character would die tonight weren't true.

But a major character was permanently maimed.

by Anonymousreply 904/14/2013

The guy who plays Kraznyz (sp?) the slavemaster in Astapor is one hot bald daddy.

by Anonymousreply 1004/14/2013

Does Khaleesi sell her dragons to buy the slaves?

by Anonymousreply 1104/14/2013

The guy who plays Catelyn's brother played Brutus on the TV show Rome a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 1204/14/2013

Keep watching r11! I'm not trying to be a bitch. I write that to say you're in for a treat; my personal favorite moment of the whole saga, up to this point.

by Anonymousreply 1304/14/2013

I think I know what is going to happen, but I won't say.

by Anonymousreply 1404/14/2013

Why would all the chairs on the Small Council table be one one side rather than on both sides? Still, the little oneupsmanship tricks in arranging the chairs with Tyrion and Cersei was great.

by Anonymousreply 1504/14/2013

The actor who plays Stannis seems much sexier this season.

Does the Red Lady mean that Stannis has to sacrifice his children to get the Lord of Light to create another demon? Have we seen if he has any children?

by Anonymousreply 1604/14/2013

She hasn't been seen yet, but Stannis has a daughter called Shireen.

by Anonymousreply 1704/14/2013

EWWWWWW!

Well, [italic]that[/italic] was an unexpected nasty ending! (That maiming probably happens in the books, but it was new to me.) They are not afraid to make permanent changes on this series, are they.

Looks like a big scene between Cersei and Diana Rigg next week! Exciting!

by Anonymousreply 1804/14/2013

How are they going to deal with the severed hand on the series from now on? Will they just CGI it?

Please don't tell me he gets a magic hand later.

by Anonymousreply 1904/15/2013

[quote][R4], this episode was co-written by the man himself George R.R. Martin along with showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Not according to the credits.

Martin is writing episode 8, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 2004/15/2013

r20, I was going by imdb.com. My bad but I was right about the directing. Well half right. David Benioff directed it himself.

I wonder if that was the same hand that Jamie used to push Bran Stark out of the window in the very first episode of the series. If so, HA! As someone who've read the books, I've been waiting for that moment. I think the actor is great but I really despise the character of Jamie Lannister.

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2013

I'm glad the tall female guardian wasn't raped. Her screams really bothered me. Do u think Jamie helped her out for his own selfish reasons or because he respects her a wee bit?

by Anonymousreply 2204/15/2013

Jamie will NEVER be the "hand" of the king NOW...

by Anonymousreply 2304/15/2013

I was also bothered by Brienne screaming so much: that didn't seem very true to her character. The actress who plays her and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau have built up nice comic rhythms: I loved their bickering in the wagon.

I'm glad Hot Pie got that nice little scene for his send-off. At least we're finally losing a character since we keep adding more and more: now Catelyn's brother and her uncle. I liked the little representation of her family's castle in the credits (I always like it when they add a new one).

by Anonymousreply 2404/15/2013

I was hoping they were going to hold Jaime down and fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 2504/15/2013

MY dragons! I will GIVE you a dragon! WHERE are my DRAGONS! I have dragons! I am the mother of dragons!

ENOUGH already!

by Anonymousreply 2604/15/2013

ITA with R26. I'm getting sick of Dani's spoiled little girl routine.

by Anonymousreply 2704/15/2013

I hope the slavemaster will take his grilling like a man like one of his soldiers when he be-titted him in from of the Dragon Lady

by Anonymousreply 2804/15/2013

No way Dani's handing over the ship, the Dothrakis, and one of her dragons over to that sleaze. I hope the twist includes Dani talking to the slave owner in his language giving him a proper exit.

The show makes me geek out so much. Love it. Though I do wonder how to proceed. Should a newbie fan read the whole series before watching the show/future episodes and seasons or instead read the books and chapters which already aired?

by Anonymousreply 2904/15/2013

Do we see the current location of Theon Greyjoy in the opening credits or is it deliberately withheld for some reason?

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2013

Theon's location is being deliberately withheld because we don't know for sure yet where he is.

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2013

R27 Wait til you see what happens next. Either you will love her cuntiness and fortitude or absolutely despise her because after that there will be no in between. I'm in the love, category because she's about to show certain people including those most close to her who's really in charge. She will come across as a shrewd,savvy and manipulative cunt after this.

by Anonymousreply 3204/15/2013

R22 Yeah, Jaime is far more honorable than we think. Not only did she keep up with him in battle, I think he admires her strong willed and loyal nature as well.

by Anonymousreply 3304/15/2013

Honorable, R33? Did you not see the first episode where he pushes a child (Bran) out a window?

by Anonymousreply 3404/15/2013

r27, I couldn’t agree with you more. Dany is not playing. I hope next week is the week they show, out of all 5 books, my favorite GoT moment ever. People are in for a treat.

Absolutely r34! I wondered if the hand that was chopped off the exact same hand that he used to push that child out of the window from a very high height. If so, KARMA IS BEAUTIFUL!

by Anonymousreply 3504/15/2013

Correction:

r32, I couldn’t agree with you more. Dany is not playing. I hope next week is the week they show, out of all 5 books, my favorite GoT moment ever. People are in for a treat.

Absolutely r34! I wondered if the hand that was chopped off the exact same hand that he used to push that child out of the window from a very high height. If so, KARMA IS BEAUTIFUL!

by Anonymousreply 3604/15/2013

Nah, he pushed Bran out of the window with his left hand as he was looking at Cersi over his right shoulder. They chopped off the right hand.

by Anonymousreply 3704/15/2013

Wow, last night totally lost me. I can't keep the characters and story lines straight. I hate the dwarf's accent.

by Anonymousreply 3804/15/2013

[quote]Nah, he pushed Bran out of the window with his left hand as he was looking at Cersi over his right shoulder. They chopped off the right hand.

Yes. His right hand, the hand he used to become the "Kingslayer" by betraying his oath as a Kingsguard and murdering the mad king Aerys II Targaryen - Daenerys father.

Aka: His sword hand.

by Anonymousreply 3904/15/2013

Jaime can certainly be amoral but he isnt pure evil. He pushed Bran out of the window to save himself and Cersei from being put to death, not for the hell of it.

by Anonymousreply 4004/15/2013

I never found Podrick to be remotely attractive, but after this episode I kinda wanna blow that pudgy doofus.

by Anonymousreply 4104/15/2013

Podrick is supposed to be something 12 years-old in the books.

by Anonymousreply 4204/15/2013

Who is the guy that is saving Theon's life?

by Anonymousreply 4304/16/2013

r43, that would be a major spoiler so you just have to watch and see.

I too was disturbed by Brienne's screaming in the back. It felt so real and visceral, just as I imagined that scene going down when I read it in the book. I almost got misty eyed when Jaime rescued her with his silver tongue.

Jaime and Brienne's storyline together is one of my favorite aspects of the series.

Another favorite aspect is Theon's story arc and I'm so glad that the producers decided to show us what happened instead of letting it go off-screen.

I wonder if a lot of the show fans are confused with all of the new characters being added each week.

by Anonymousreply 4404/16/2013

The musical chairs bit with the small council was my favorite scene from last night. That was a piece of non-verbal brilliance right there. Everyone involved in that scene behaved exactly in line with their character. Littlefinger jumping in front of Varys. Varys humorously eyeballing everyone. Pycelle playing the crippled old man routine. Cersei exerting her position by lifting the chair from the far end to sit right beside her father and lastly Tyrion trying to one-up his sister by placing his chair at the opposite end of the table to show that he is an equal to Tywin.

by Anonymousreply 4504/16/2013

This was really a very good episode. Better than last week's. I'm glad they're finding ways of keeping Theon in the mix. He was missing for 2 entire books. This series is a rare example of the screen version fleshing the characters out more than the books do.

The forests are really gorgeous. The location scouts have really outdone themselves. Ireland I assume?

by Anonymousreply 4604/16/2013

Krazny looks like a light skinned Montell Williams.

by Anonymousreply 4704/16/2013

I thought the Pod storyline was useless. But I think the professional ladies of Kings Landing got him to unwittingly give up info, or at least that would make the scene worth it to me. I loved the introduction of the Tullys. The scene where Robb tells off Edmure was excellent. Count me in as another non fan of Jaime Lannister, but NCW is great at playing him.

by Anonymousreply 4804/16/2013

Crusty old Brynden the Blackfish is a gar, too. He's one of my favorite characters in the series.

by Anonymousreply 4904/16/2013

Pod must have one huge cock to get it for free.

by Anonymousreply 5004/16/2013

They need to have these little sex episodes like the Pod bit this week to keep the attention of the 15 year-old geekboy audience who get bummed out by the complex storylines and lack of battle scenes.

by Anonymousreply 5104/16/2013

I'd like to see Gendry in a sex episode.

by Anonymousreply 5204/16/2013

Yeah right, R51. As a former 15 year-old geekboy, that audience doesn't require cheesy sex scenes. Have you ever heard of Lord of the Rings? There's no sex in that, and it's the biggest fantasy series of all time. The sex scenes are for idiot adults.

by Anonymousreply 5304/16/2013

[quote]I'd like to see Gendry in a sex episode.

Then I suggest you check out series one of SKINS (the UK version) on DVD. You get to see PLENTY of him.

by Anonymousreply 5404/16/2013

yes, some scenes were filmed in N. Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 5504/16/2013

"Have you ever heard of Lord of the Rings? There's no sex in that, and it's the biggest fantasy series of all time."

It was also on family TV not on paid premium stations.

by Anonymousreply 5604/16/2013

If "Game of Thronse", season 3, epsiode 3, occured entirely on Facebook:

by Anonymousreply 5704/16/2013

Yes R44, it is hard to keep track of all the characters now. I remember the faces, but now I'm getting confused with all the different names and whose family hates whom.

At this point, one might need a diagram.

by Anonymousreply 5804/16/2013

yes, when i first started watching, i was confused too, i didn't read the books. I went back and re-watched the past seasons recently to refresh my memory...great series.

by Anonymousreply 5904/16/2013

If you get lost in the reeds, there are Wikis online. This one is aimed at viewers who don't want spoilers.

I had lost track of who had the various main characters who are hostages. Good to know I'm not supposed to understand where the fuck Theon is.

If you are also confused, Jaime is in the hands of soldiers of House Bolton, loyal to the Starks. They are known for torture. Arya is a guest of the Brotherhood without Banners, a group of outlaws. They once fought for the Starks and are enemies of the Lannisters.

by Anonymousreply 6004/16/2013

R54 but he didn't have all that muscle on him when he was in Skins. i may be wrong, but i believe that's why R52 wants to see him in a sex scene.

by Anonymousreply 6104/17/2013

R61 is right,Joe Dempsie has a hot,muscular body now. Quite a difference.

by Anonymousreply 6204/17/2013

Why does Arya ask the Hound if he remembers the place?

by Anonymousreply 6304/17/2013

Soooo... Dani/Khaleesi's gonna get her dragon to fry the asshole after he gives her all the slaves, right?

And I'm sure she knows the language, and will tell him to fuck off, beforehand?

I didn't like her in the first few eps, but she's definitely becoming one of my favourite characters!

by Anonymousreply 6404/17/2013

[quote]Why does Arya ask the Hound if he remembers the place?

Isn't that where he killed her little friend who protected her from Joffrey and where he killed Lady, Sansa's direwolf?

by Anonymousreply 6504/17/2013

[quote]Who is the guy that is saving Theon's life?

Officially we don't know yet.

This scene of Theon escaping his torture cell and being rescued did not actually happen in the books, though people who have read the books can guess who Theon's rescuer is.

by Anonymousreply 6604/17/2013

James Hibberd who does the Game of Thrones Entertainment Weekly recaps has stated that next Sunday has a scene that was so well done, and one of GoT's best yet, that he watched it 6 times in a row. I have a feeling what scene it is but I don't want to spoil. If it's what I think it is, then it's my all time favorite GoT moment ever and I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 6704/17/2013

R67, I'm curious what you think it is... You should post in the spoiler thread.

by Anonymousreply 6804/17/2013

r68, I just posted it.

by Anonymousreply 6904/18/2013

Daenarys is my favorite character in the series and the events that take place with her this season are the reason why.

She proves that she truly is a Queen to behold and to fear. The thing with the Targaryens are they they all have the capacity for both greatness and wickedness. It is important to remember this with Dany's storyline this season and in the subsequent seasons.

by Anonymousreply 7004/18/2013

I'm almost over this show entirely. Despite a promising season premier, the snooze button has been hit with great force. The only interesting scenes were those with Arya (especially when she and Gendry parted ways with Hot Pie).

by Anonymousreply 7104/18/2013

One disclaimer: I've loved watching Daenerys come into her own. She's lost everything but is boldly marching forward. It almost seems like the true game of thrones is shaping up to be Dany vs Cersei vs Arya vs Melisandre vs Maergery vs Ygritte!

by Anonymousreply 7204/18/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 7304/21/2013

r71, a LOT of action happens in the next episode. You won't be snoozing.

Just saying.

by Anonymousreply 7404/21/2013

r74, have you seen the next episode?

by Anonymousreply 7504/21/2013

I used to be a Khaleesi fan. After reading the books, not so much now. Actually, all the characters I liked on the show, I wound up losing respect for them after the books. GRR Martin really drives home the point that even heroes are deeply flawed and that bad guys aren't always what they seem.

by Anonymousreply 7604/21/2013

Actually, R76, I think the show does an equally heavy-handed job of showing heroes are flawed and villains have honorable moments. I'm not willing to invest my time/money in the books, but I've been wondering if they make Cersei and Goffrey come across as more than 1-dimensional villains.

by Anonymousreply 7704/21/2013

With those two, R77? No. Other character, definitely, but Cersei and Joffrey are pretty one note.

by Anonymousreply 7804/21/2013

Actually, I daresay Cersei is MORE one-dimensional in the books. She had at least had a few genuinely sympathetic moments in series one of the TV show.

by Anonymousreply 7904/21/2013

My favorite quote about Cersei

"Your love of your children is your one redeeming quality...that and your cheekbones."

-Tyrion

by Anonymousreply 8004/21/2013

No, R65, I don't think so. That all happened at Kings Landing before Robert & her father died. I am trying to remember if The Hound was part of the gang that went after her, and her fellows when they were on their way to The Wall? remenber the massacre?

I'm disappointed aboutt we aren't seeing more of The Mountain. When things started breaking down and all these gangs were wandering around the country side, he figured prominently. And that's not a spoiler. I am glad we are seeing more of my Kight of Flowers, Margarey's brother Loras. I love him.

You do yourself a disservice if you don't read the books, R77. Try the library. They have some elements the show lacks. There's a real sense of terror and of urgency at times especially in Book 3.

I found Cersei somewhat interesting in the books, and Joffrey is absolutely depraved and sick. So far, the only one who seems consistently honorable in both book and HBO is Jon Snow.

I have to give props to the HBO folk for casting. They have done an excellent job. I also still mourn the fact that Arya's assasin has vanished. I sincerely, sincerely hope they bring him back. Sincerely.

by Anonymousreply 8104/21/2013

The one thing the books does give Cersei is some insight both into her shame at how disrespectfully Robert treats her as a wife and her intense love for her children, including Tommen and Myrcella as well as Joffrey. We've not had much of that in the TV show: just the moment of Cersei vowing vengeance against tyrion at the docks when Myrcella was shipped off to Dorne, and I suppose the scene where she gently reads Tommen the story before trying to poison him to save him from Stannis's troops 9if you can really call that love).

Joffrey is pretty one-note as villains go, although he may not be the worst character in the entire series. Ramsay Bolton, the Bastard of the Dreadfort, and The Mountain are probably even worse, since they devise such elaborate and slow and cruel tortures for their human prey.

by Anonymousreply 8204/21/2013

Arya's hatred for The Hound stems from the incident between her, Joffrey and her sparring partner while they were on their way to King's Landing in season 1. Presumably they're currently near the spot where that happened. The Hound hunted down and killed that boy who was playing with Arya. I don't remember them mentioning that on the show, which is why her hatred of The Hound might be confusing for anyone who hasn't read the books.

Other than that incident, he's has little to no interaction with her up to this point.

by Anonymousreply 8304/21/2013

As far as Lady's death, that was Cersei's doing, which Ned then carried out. That is what earned her a place on Arya's list.

by Anonymousreply 8404/21/2013

R83, Arya's sparring partner was Mycah, a butcher's son. The swordfighting scene was in the second episode of the first season.

Near the end of the episode, Ned sees the Hound with a horse bearing Mycah's corpse: "He ran. Not very fast."

by Anonymousreply 8504/21/2013

Thanks r85, I forgot about that scene. In any case, that should answer r63's question.

by Anonymousreply 8604/21/2013

I thought Lady was Sansa's dog, not Arya's.

by Anonymousreply 8704/21/2013

Arya's direwolf, Nymeria, was chased off so the soldiers wouldn't find her. Lady was killed in her place.

by Anonymousreply 8804/21/2013

Theon - You in trouble gurl

by Anonymousreply 8904/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.