Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Murders that happened in your lifetime?

I still remember the Cecilia Zhang case. This didn't happen in the states so probably no one will know what I'm talking about. My friend and I, at school, speculated whether the murderer raped her before murdering her. It's kind of scary, the guy murdered her because he wanted ransom money.

by Anonymousreply 6506/21/2014

Most posters here are still getting over the Abe Lincoln thing.

by Anonymousreply 104/14/2013

R1's grandmother was one of the whores who serviced the Confederate troops. The diseases she caught, she spread.

by Anonymousreply 204/14/2013

I remember Son of Sam.

by Anonymousreply 304/14/2013

The Yorkshire Ripper.

On this board, we could probably cover any murders that happened in the past 80 years.

by Anonymousreply 404/14/2013

In my little Village we had one big murder back in the 80s. They wrote a book about it -- "Say You Love Satan." High on acid, angel dust, and god-knows-what-else, a teenager killed a boy in front of his friends up in the woods. The killer, a devil worshiper, kept telling the dying boy to "Say you love Satan," but the kid would only say "I love my Mom." They "buried" him with leaves and during the following week, rumors spread there was a dead body in the woods. Kids brought other kids to come and look at it. Finally one of them called the police. Richie Kasso, the killer, hanged himself in his cell when he came down off of drugs. The other boy, his accomplish, served his time and is out now.

by Anonymousreply 504/14/2013

They called it the shooting of the century (pre-OJ) and it happened a few towns over back in November of 1955.

William Woodward Jr. was killed by his wife after attending a party at Viking Cove, the Edith Baker residence in Lattingtown. The Duchess of Windsor was the hostess at the Baker house that evening. Ann Woodward kept couldn't stop talking about a prowler in their neighborhood, and how she and her husband had armed themselves.

After dinner, the Woodwards drove home and went to their separate bedrooms. They were on the verge of a divorce. In the middle of the night Ann screamed, Billy came out of his bedroom, and Ann shot him. Twice.

Her husband's family closed ranks around her, but Ann Woodward committed suicide when Truman Capote wrote about the murder in Esquire twenty years later.

It was like a curse on the north shore of Long Island. All of a sudden, the Gold Coast wasn't popular anymore. Everyone moved to the Hamptons.

by Anonymousreply 604/14/2013

R6, the burglar later admitted that he'd been at the Woodward house, scampering around on the roof and testing windows when the shooting took place.

by Anonymousreply 704/14/2013

You're right R7. But then there was the rumor that he was paid off by the Woodwards to protect Ann. Give her an alibi.

by Anonymousreply 804/14/2013

r5 I read that book when I was a kid, Rickie Kasso (rhymes with asshole) fucking scared me. I remember Ted Bundy and the Nightstalker, it was scary to live in San Diego because nobody knew where Richard Ramirez would strike next.

by Anonymousreply 904/14/2013

Richard Ramirez was active when I was in high-school. He would hit the town west of us, and then east, just a few miles away. My mom let my sister's boyfriend sleep on the couch. Fucking scary. I don't understand why he's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 1004/14/2013

The preppie murder in Central Park.

Then when I moved to LA Menendez happened just after I got there and then OJ.

by Anonymousreply 1104/14/2013

OP the story gripped the city for weeks but I wouldn't classify it as "one of those murder stories".

There's been far more spicy murder stories that took place in Toronto

by Anonymousreply 1204/14/2013

When Cain killed Abel.

by Anonymousreply 1304/14/2013

Princess Diana

by Anonymousreply 1404/14/2013

When I was in grade school, the Zodiac Killer threatened to kill trick-or-treating kids on Halloween, so there was no trick-or-treating that year, just Halloween parties.

When I was in college, my roommate and I kept the windows locked tight on hot summer nights, because the Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist was in the area.

by Anonymousreply 1504/15/2013

A sweet girl I worked with was murdered along with her two young sons, and teir remains were hidden in a storage locker. For years. The crime was uncovered when the killer's new wife (not knowling) stopped paying the rent on the locker.

by Anonymousreply 1604/15/2013

An entire family of four down the street was murdered by the insane boyfriend of the daughter. It was ten years ago and there still hasn't been a trial.

by Anonymousreply 1704/15/2013

When this case was finally over with, I looked on Google maps and noted that the killer lived 2,100 feet away from my house as the crow flies. He killed 48 women.

by Anonymousreply 1804/15/2013

Joan Robinson Hill and Dr. John Hill - This case was infamous in Houston and inspired books and a TV movie. Joan was the daughter of a rich oilman. She married a plastic surgeon who later was accused of her murder. After Dr. Hill's trial ended in a mistrial, he was murdered by a hitman. Then the hitman was shot dead by police. The hit was probably arranged by the father, Ash Robinson, but he was never arrested.

by Anonymousreply 1904/15/2013

As a bartender in a small town I occasionally served a killer who had not yet been caught. Many years previously this man had murdered a single mother who lived near him. He was unknown to her when he showed up at her house, drunk, late one night and tried to force himself on her. When she resisted he stabbed her to death. Her young daughter hid from the horrifying commotion then fled for help after the killer departed.

Because he had no previous connection to the victim and nothing in his past to warrant suspicion, the crime remained unsolved for over a decade. Stupidly he never sought to re-locate, having effectively gotten away with it. He was later arrested on a petty criminal charge for which he was compelled to provide a DNA sample. The match broke the cold case wide open. He was tried, convicted and has since been denied appeal. But for years he went about his business in our small town - the wanted murderer in our midst - and no one suspected a thing.

by Anonymousreply 2004/15/2013

R5, that wasn't a little boy they killed. It was a teen, 17 years of age. Still a sad story, though, but I read that the victim had allegedly stole drugs from the killer.

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2013

The Betty Broderick murders. I was only two at the time but it counts I guess.

Also the Smiley Face Killings or serial murderer.

by Anonymousreply 2204/15/2013

I used to hang out at the state park where Ted Bundy picked up two of his victims. I was thirteen at the time.

Also, the Green River Killer. I know Congressman Reichert and his brother (when one was trooper and the other a sheriff).

This murderer, which scared me the most. I lived and still live 5 mins away where one of these murders took place. I danced at the clubs he frequented and ate at the McDonald's where the body was found. I go there sometimes and always think of the victim.

He also hit on a friend if mine when we worked at a court.

by Anonymousreply 2304/15/2013

I remember the murder of Paul “Big Paul” Castellano when flash mob meant there was Cosa Nostra with a silencer.

by Anonymousreply 2404/15/2013

I actually met a young victim of the psycho killer Larry Eyler. His name was Eric Hansen, he was a cute, flirty kid, 18 years old.

It shocked me to my core when i found out ...RIP, sweet Eric...

by Anonymousreply 2504/15/2013

My mother was chatted-up by Peter Manuel...

Very charming, she says, but she had just got engaged to my dad...

by Anonymousreply 2604/15/2013

Sharon Tate. We lived not that far away. Scared my parents too.

by Anonymousreply 2704/15/2013

These boys.

by Anonymousreply 2804/15/2013

Some of these are creepy. It makes you wonder how many times you've come across a possible serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 2904/15/2013

The Night Stalker murders (Richard Ramirez) scared the crap out of everyone in California in the mid-80s. I remember my mom checking every door and window in the house before bedtime, making sure they were double-locked. I also stayed on the phone for an hour with a cousin of mine who was babysitting in Carson; she thought she heard someone outside the house and got spooked.

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2013

Technically, did it happen in my lifetime?

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2013

R30, did people know about the EAR-ONS/GSK when Richard Ramirez starting killing? Did people think that the EAR started hitting LA?

by Anonymousreply 3204/15/2013

Strangely R32, news of GSK/EAR ONS never quite made it down here to So Cal. Even after he killed that poor girl in Irvine in '86. Everyone was still reeling from Manson/Hillside/SLA for it to make a splash I guess.

by Anonymousreply 3304/16/2013

R32 Last week, one of the local news stations (KABC) did a special report about the Golden State Killer. I watched it, and none of the murders rang a bell. It probably got lost in the shuffle--there were so many high-profile murders in LA at the time: Manson family, the Freeway Killer, the Skid Row Slasher, the Hillside Stranglers, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3404/16/2013

That's what I find so odd about the EAR/GSK case, it got so little coverage even locally not to mention statewide. I just don't understand that. There are people who have lived in California their entire lives and have never heard of EAR/GSK. I'm 26 and I've lived here since 9/10 years old and I just found out about him a couple of weeks ago on DL. This was/is a very dangerous person so I don't understand why his crimes received so little coverage. And they wonder why he has never been caught. It's bizarre and upsetting.

by Anonymousreply 3504/16/2013

You know, R34, you do have a point. There were just so many serial killers operating at that time that the EAR was probably overlooked. But it's still frustrating. I don't understand why there were so many and so many in California at that. Maybe the size and thus the number of people residing in the state make the odds of having multiple serial killers operating around the same time much more likely.

I thought it was interesting how Richard Ramirez and the EAR-ONS had such a similar M.O. but then I read that this particular M.O. is not as rare as I thought it would be.

by Anonymousreply 3604/16/2013

One of my close family members is a serial killer. At first he'd only do it when under stress but now it's a lot more frequent. Sometimes it really bothers me. It would just kill his parents if he got caught, but he's starting to take some bad risks.

by Anonymousreply 3704/16/2013

From Marilyn Monroe to JFK to MLK to RFK to Tate/LaBianca to John Lennon...they start blending together. Too many to count.

by Anonymousreply 3804/16/2013

My ex went to school with Lizzie Borden. He always said she was the sweetest thing.

by Anonymousreply 3904/16/2013

Re: R36 and others commenting on the strangeness of ubiquitous violence/serial killers in California in the '60s and '70s. There was such a strange sense of foreboding and "freakiness" in those years (late '60s/early '70s), especially in LA.

My aunt lived in Hollywood in the '68-69 right off of Sunset and she clearly remembers a few eerie instances happening: of waking up to re-arranged furniture, closed windows opened, and even a TV dinner left to defrost on the kitchen counter that she never touched. She complained to my mom at the time who just chalked it up to her scatter-brainedness. Of course, they never put the pieces together until years later when it was revealed that the Manson family liked to "creepy crawl" into homes as test runs. Just a very weird, chilling time.

by Anonymousreply 4004/16/2013

See, I could never understand that. I don't understand how people could react so calmly to such things or not react at all. I think I remember reading something that said that the news used to report on important things that went on in local communities rather than a hour long crime report filled with blood and gore.

Several studies also point out that people who watch the news regularly tend to be more paranoid. Therefore, I think this may have something to do with the rather casual attitude toward prowling and what R40 described in his/her post in the 60s/70s.

by Anonymousreply 4104/19/2013

Kitty Genovese in Queens

Tate/LaBianca murders in LA

Son of Sam in Queens

by Anonymousreply 4204/19/2013

The farthest one I remember when I was a kid was Richard Speck (shades of Mad Men) killing those 8 student nurses. I was 6 years old and I recall being so scared when I watched the report on the news. It freaked me out because my mother was a nurse and hearing the word "nurse" just upset me. I remember hugging my mom and bursting into tears when she came home that evening.

by Anonymousreply 4404/19/2013

And Ted Bundy, who got caught when I lived in Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 4504/19/2013

Richard Speck wound up with a nicer set of tits than a lot of ladies.

by Anonymousreply 4604/19/2013

Big ones for me growing up in Minnesota in the 70s and early 80s were the murders of multi-multi-millionairess Elisabeth Congdon and her nurse by her son-in-law (at his evil wife's instigation) in her Duluth mansion on the shore of Lake Superior, and Ming Sen Shue, the crazy Korean man who kidnapped his junior high school math teacher and her daughter and raped the mother for weeks in his partment (he also killed a little boy who witnessed him kidnap them).

by Anonymousreply 4704/19/2013

When I was in Junior High School, a Catholic Junior High, a local and well-loved priest was found murdered in a motel room. It was speculated that some teenagers had beaten him to death and stolen his money. The only weird thing was that the motel was roughly 30 minutes from his home... People said maybe he was tired after a long drive? (this was 1980)

For days on end the principal and teachers would go on about what an awful world it was where a priest would be murdered. What horrible teenagers we have these days who would kill a priest!! They would gather us together before class and make us stand while they went on and on about it.

Then it came out that he had picked up a pair of street hustlers and tried to kiss one of them... setting the young man into a rage and prompting a fatal beating. The silence from the principal and our teachers was deafening. I remember one kid raising his hand once during a meeting and asking the principal "Any news on that murder?" She turned beat red and sent us all back to class.

by Anonymousreply 4804/19/2013

R16 R17 R18 here. We just had five more over the weekend. Well, 4 plus the perp. Eight police officers had to go on "administrative leave," so I expect he was well-riddled in the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 4904/26/2013

This thread is like "old home week" for me. I am fascinated by true murder cases, and I am addicted to the ID channel, Discovery, A&E and any other random channel that focuses on solving murder cases. There are so many fascinating ones(I know it is unseemly to appear so jazzed up by murder, and I really am not...I just love the science of solving cases)that I could be here all night listing cases. But The Murder of my lifetime has to be the Tate/LaBianca murders by members of the Manson Family. I have a tiny, nevertheless eerie connection which will always bind me to it. In 1967 my family took a week long vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC for golf and the beach. Even though I now see it as a turnip truck resort, it was the place to go back then if you resided in the Carolinas. We were staying at a hotel which seemed like a Four Seasons to me at age 3. It was brand new and I'd never seen anything like it. Little did we know that there were some highfalutin Hollywood celebrities staying at the hotel. The cast of a forgettable film named "Don't Make Waves(Make Love) were in town for a gala premiere of the film. That pretty much sums up the sort of production it was. The stars were Claudia Cardinale, Tony Curtis, Robert Webber, Joanna Barnes and an unknown ingenue named Sharon Tate.

I was a painfully shy child, but my pushy, attention seeking mother insisted on having multiple photos taken with the cast. At 3 years old, I had no idea who any of them were, but even I was mesmerized by the transcendent beauty of the young Sharon. She seemed to take to me too, so she picked me up and held me while mother was snapping away. I was as devastated 2 years later when I learned of her death as if she were a family member.

Today, I still have my (enlarged) photo with ST framed and sitting on my piano. Amazingly, it receives more oohs and ahs than any of my shots with far more "famous" people. I guess I have to admit that it was the one time my mother's overbearing nature produced something memorable and precious to me.

by Anonymousreply 5004/26/2013

Was Roman Polanski with her?

by Anonymousreply 5104/26/2013

I don't believe they were together at that time, but I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5204/27/2013

[quote]Joan Robinson Hill and Dr. John Hill - This case was infamous in Houston and inspired books and a TV movie. Joan was the daughter of a rich oilman. She married a plastic surgeon who later was accused of her murder. After Dr. Hill's trial ended in a mistrial, he was murdered by a hitman. Then the hitman was shot dead by police. The hit was probably arranged by the father, Ash Robinson, but he was never arrested.

Is that the case the movie "Murder in Texas" is based on?

by Anonymousreply 5304/27/2013

When I was a kid living in Houston the T. Cullen Davis scandal was all over the news. He was trying to kill his estranged wife, a flashy blonde named Priscilla, but he killed her bf and daughter in a fucked up attempt.

by Anonymousreply 5404/27/2013

That's it, r53. Once upon a time, I could point out the Robinson house, but I'm not sure any longer.

by Anonymousreply 5504/27/2013

Jack the Ripper.

Ah, good times!

by Anonymousreply 5604/27/2013

We've murdered good taste and fashion!

by Anonymousreply 5704/27/2013

The murder of DL by Primetime.

by Anonymousreply 5804/27/2013

r58 LOL

by Anonymousreply 5904/27/2013

I was a kid in Chicago when John Wayne Gacy went on his killing spree. I later worked with a woman whose brother was one of his victims; the lunch lady at my friend's grade school also lost her son. It was very, very creepy.

I was too young to remember Speck, but people always talked about him, too.

by Anonymousreply 6004/27/2013

Speck loved his life in prison. There's an interview with his boyfriend and they actually have sex. In this one, starting at 2:00, Speck is seen topless with his new taxpayer breasts.

by Anonymousreply 6104/27/2013

When I first moved to Charlotte NC from NY when I was 14, next door to the neighborhood (only one really) convenience store were a motorcycle gang. They actually seemed to me at least pretty nice-they would help people with their groceries and everyone liked them.

Until the night they were all murdered. Later we found out that that nice motorcycle gang were members of The Outlaws, who are actually not a really nice group of people and they were killed over a drug deal gone wrong.

Later on they pulled down the house. Never forgot that.

by Anonymousreply 6204/27/2013

bump because all the current topics are boring

i remember when the kkk had its last lynching in mobile al. only reason people i met in collage had ever heard of the place.

by Anonymousreply 6306/21/2014

Michael Bruce Ross -- he started by killing a classmate at Cornell, but then went home and killed a bunch of girls in his small CT town. He was the classmate of a college friend who I went to visit there just as all of that began -- because there were so many murders happening in LA at the time.

by Anonymousreply 6406/21/2014

OP , I think Cecilia Zhang was a Chinese mob type thing

by Anonymousreply 6506/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.