Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Beatles: Revolver or Rubber Soul?

I'm on the Revolver side. Norwegian Wood creeps me out and Nowhere Man is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 3604/17/2013

Revolver, no question. It's regularly ranked in the top three albums of all time whenever those lists get published.

I love Rubber Soul, but I consider Revolver their first genuine masterpiece. And is it just me, or is "Run For Your Life" a genuinely disturbing song? "I'd rather see you dead, little girl/Than to be with another man"? How'd they get away with that?

by Anonymousreply 104/14/2013

Love them both. Why choose?

by Anonymousreply 204/14/2013

by Anonymousreply 304/14/2013

I'm going with the why choose? option.

by Anonymousreply 404/14/2013

OP if you find 'Nowhere Man' stupid you are insensitive and boorish. How dare you and speak like that without being more considerate? Some people!

Really, some Dataloungers are mean and numb deep inside and they think that their opinion is so cool we should get impressed by their negativity which of course one should interpret as ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 504/14/2013

Rubber Soul

by Anonymousreply 604/14/2013

Rubber Soul for me. Probably have listened to it more than any other album (not just Beatles).

by Anonymousreply 704/14/2013

Nowhere Man is subtle, amazing song. I've seen speculation that it could have been about LBJ. Plus, it has a wonderful solo - at an unusual place in the song.

by Anonymousreply 804/14/2013

Until Sgt. Pepper I preferred the singles.

There are a lot of awful songs on both those albums.

by Anonymousreply 904/14/2013

Rubber Soul. It was my first record album. My mother brought it home from the record store, on a whim, and gave it to me for my 5th birthday.

I became obsessed with the record and listened to it thousands of times. I especially loved the creepy songs like "Norwegian Wood" and "Run For Your Life." To this day, I have a thing for John Lennon.

For years, it was the only rock album in our house. I didn't purchase my own until I was a teenager. All the other albums in the house were original Broadway cast recordings.

by Anonymousreply 1004/14/2013

I thought this at age 13 in 1966, and I do in 2013. Lennon's stuff is too drug fueled and ruins Revolver. The LP cover shits too.

by Anonymousreply 1104/14/2013

"Take my daughter!"

Rubber Soul.

by Anonymousreply 1204/14/2013

Whichever one that had "She said I know what it's like to be dead" on it.

by Anonymousreply 1304/14/2013

Why choose?

It's a matter of stimulating critical thinking to yield aesthetic insights.

If you don't want to think about it and choose, go ahead and continue munching your Cheetos and watching your screen. No one is forcing you to apply your mind and think. But neither is anyone forcing you to post inanity, such as you have.

Yes, Revolver, I think. Therefore I am.

by Anonymousreply 1404/14/2013

Can't choose.

My favorite BEATLES album is actually THE WHITE ALBUM, though I don't think it's their best.

My second favorite is the first. I love John Lennon's vocals on "Anna." And his beautiful hoarse voice on "Twist and Shout." And "There's a Place" is lovely, angsty, full of their cheery existential loneliness.

by Anonymousreply 1504/14/2013

R1 "Run for your Life" is the one song John Lennon said he regretted recording. I believe it's a cover of a Johnny Cash song. Someone correct me if I got that wrong.

I associate Rubber Soul so heavily with someone I dated who turned out to be a jerk that it's hard for me to listen to it.

Revolver is my favorite and has my favorite Beatles' song "Tomorrow Never Knows" on it.

"She Said" was written after they were at a party in California and a yet unknown Peter Fonda was tripping and going on and on about death. It kind of freaked them out and ruined the party for them. They changed the gender in the song.

by Anonymousreply 1604/14/2013

John wrote "Run For Your Life," although it's credited to Lennon/McCartney as per usual.

Most of us experience dark feelings like that, if we're honest. Best case scenario is they're sublimated through art, and never acted upon.

by Anonymousreply 1704/14/2013

Thanks for the correction R17.

by Anonymousreply 1804/14/2013

Lennon took one line from an Elvis song:

"I'd rather see you dead, little girl, than to be with another man."

It's from "Baby, Let's Play House," written by Arthur Gunter.

by Anonymousreply 1904/14/2013

Truth be told, if you compare any of the Beatles Albums to the crap on the radio today, you realize how insanely good every album they made is. The Beatles B sides, would win Grammys in todays music scene.

(and I wasn't even born yet when the Beatles happened)

by Anonymousreply 2004/15/2013

The RubberSoul album that was released in the US was different from the UK version. For one thing, it didn't contain "Nowhere Man." It was more of a folk-rock sounding album here, which dovetailed with Bob Dylan's use of electric guitar and groups like The Byrds singing Dylan songs with electric guitars and drums.

Drive My Car, Nowhere Man, If I Needed Someone and What Goes On are not on the original US release of Rubber Soul.

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2013

Take a valium R14 and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 2204/15/2013

I prefer the US version of Rubber Soul.

by Anonymousreply 2304/15/2013

r11, what are you talking about, "the cover shits?" Klaus Voorman's cover art for REVOLVER is legendary, intricate, and fun, and it's one of the famous album covers. And both these albums have great names, by the way, typically punning in that Beatles way.

by Anonymousreply 2404/15/2013

Justin Bieber would like you to know he is more famous and talented than the Beatles.

by Anonymousreply 2504/15/2013

Truly inspiring to be able to listen to these albums. John and Paul were great boys. Hopefully they would have been beliebers. That's what I *hope* anyway, that they would've had the taste to be fanatical fans of mine.

by Anonymousreply 2604/15/2013

Rubber Soul because it was acoustically beautiful and it bridged the early Beatles pop sound with what was to become the later Beatles psychedelic era.

by Anonymousreply 2704/15/2013

"The Beatles B sides, would win Grammys in todays music scene."

Revolution was a B side. Strawberry Fields was a B side. B didn't wasn't necessarily a lesser song.

by Anonymousreply 2804/15/2013

The Beatles lessor songs would win Grammys today.

Let us see some examples of Grammys the Beatles could take with their lessor songs.

Taylor Swift Song: "Safe and Sound" VS Beatles Norwegian Wood.

Arcade Fires Album: The Suburbs VS Beatles Help.

it is just too easy....

by Anonymousreply 2904/15/2013

Fuck me, I could use some revolver right now!

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2013

Why did you pick The Suburbs, R29? It is far and away one of the better winners in recent memory. I would actually put it on par with Help, though of course nowhere near their later albums.

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2013

I'd choose Revolver as my favorite of the two, but my favorite Beatles LP was Abbey Road.

by Anonymousreply 3204/16/2013

Revolver but it's a close call. I think they improved with every new album.

by Anonymousreply 3304/17/2013

If John Lemmon were alive, I think he'd be a belieber!

by Anonymousreply 3404/17/2013

Revolver. Tomorrow Never Knows is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 3504/17/2013

The Beatles pale when compared to the incomparable, "The Captain and Tennille".

Read it and weep, you suckers.

by Anonymousreply 3604/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!