Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" on CNN tonight

DL classic HBO film about the drunk (maybe) frau (definitely) who barreled down the wrong side of the LIE with a car full of her nephews and nieces. Break out the popcorn and watch her relatives awkwardly try to cover for her.

by Anonymousreply 26110/20/2014

Why is CNN airing an HBO movie?

by Anonymousreply 104/14/2013

She was not on the LIE

by Anonymousreply 204/14/2013

There were no nephews in the car.

by Anonymousreply 304/14/2013

It was the Taconic.

by Anonymousreply 404/14/2013

She was in a boat!

by Anonymousreply 604/14/2013

This case is a Datalounge obsession.

by Anonymousreply 704/14/2013

Read The Taconic Tragedy A Son's Search For The Truth....Interesting book

by Anonymousreply 804/14/2013

When I watched this on HBO, I had nightmares. something about it was haunting then the death pictures, then I online and read more about the case. I don't know what it's called but I have some weird disorder that causes me to indulge in this sort of thing.

not watching it again.

by Anonymousreply 904/14/2013

So I'm looking at the CNN viewing schedule for this evening and I do not see this program listed.

I think OP is mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 1104/14/2013

It's 4/20. I checked. I'm sick.

by Anonymousreply 1204/14/2013

Despite attempts by Diane Schuler's retarded husband and brainless sister-in-law to prove otherwise, the simple fact is that she chose to guzzle vodka and smoke pot that day, probably to take the edge off or ease a little tension headache. She'd probably done this many times before (she was a control freak who thought she could handle anything) but overdid it that time. Her arrogance caused the deaths of four little girls, three innocent men and herself. Only her son survived and I don't even want to think about what his life iwith his idiot father is like now.

There was no medical evidence to suggest that Diane Schuler had a stroke or an embolism or a tooth absess or any medical condition that would cause such unbearable pain that she chose to swill vodka and smoke pot to relieve it, despite being the driver of an SUV full of children.

I think there's some show on NBC on Fridays with Brian Williams that will feature a story this coming Friday about Jackie Hance. Jackie Hance is the mother of the three girls Diane Schuler killed. She had another baby not long ago, another little girl. I don't know what she'll say in the interview. Probably nothing of real interest. She usually says that Diane Schuler was always such a responsible person who loved her nieces and her own children, a person she trusted fully. I wish she'd say that Diane Schuler was a closet drunk who was such a cunt she chose to drink and smoke pot and drive with a bunch of kids in the car.

by Anonymousreply 1304/14/2013

Was there something in the breakfast food at McDonald's? That was one of the theories that came out when all this happened.

by Anonymousreply 1404/14/2013

Where the hell is DL Danny? He needs to come by and enlighten us.

by Anonymousreply 1504/14/2013

Well if Danny won't come I will post his story for him: Danny's Story

Here's how I figure it. Diane's inna car, right? She gets a bad headache cuz she feels a stroke comin on. She tries to get the Tylenol gel caps for fast relief, but that friggin Muslin guy at the store don't have em. So she's like "Faggetabowdit, I don't want no slow actin pills!"

She gets back inna car an she's drivin along and this pain from her abscessed tooth comes on. She's like, "Fuckin A, this is the pits! Where's the vodka? I'm gonna take one swigguh this faw my tooth pain." An then, when she's drivin allawng, her diabetes, which has been building up for a long time, since age dint know she had it, starts makin her thirsty!

An she's got the vodka bottle there, but she forgets it's vodka cuz her mind is clouded from the tooth pain. She thinks it's wunna them Dee-ah Pawk waterbottles and she chugs it! Cuz she's so thirsty from the diabetes.

Then, the lump in her leg stawts actin up on her, on toppa the tooth and the stroke and the diabetes. It hurts so much, she's friggin floorin the gas pedal, only she don't know it! Cuzzah the headache an the toothache and the diabetes! So, she's like, disoridented.

An the kid calls her faddah and sex, "Look he-yah, Aunt Diane is actin awl messed up!" and the faddah sex, "I'm comin ta git yiz!" But Diane takes the phone an sees what time it iz an sez, "Holy shit, kids! We godda git home!"

An she takes off like a battowddah hell. An I'm home watching the rosary on television and prayin, cuz like, I didn't make Mass in the mawnin. An me an the dawg is praying ta Gawd thankkin him for our byootyfull lives an awl. An then we git this phone call from Diane's asshole brutha an his hoity toity wife an I'm all confused becaws I'm sayin the Acta Contrishun an thinkin hly thoughts. An all hell breaks loose.

An she crashed the caw. It was all becawssa the medical problems she had becaws she's like, a very frightened person about doktiz an shit, so she don't go to no doktiz. She's also frugal-like, an likes to spend money on jeeps an purses instedda these he-yah doktiz that'll robbya blind with all their tests and pokin at ya.

An that's how it happened, an now I'm suin everybody cawz they been really nasty about my Diane, who wuz a saint an now I'm all fucked up tryin ta do stuff like laundry an bills an childcare an shit.

by Anonymousreply 1604/14/2013

It is on at 7pm.

by Anonymousreply 1704/14/2013

I think her giant FUPA got stuck in the seatbelt and her foot slipped as she tried to adjust her gunt.

by Anonymousreply 1804/14/2013

7pm where, what channel? TV times are usually given as EST, and it's already 7:30pm EST. And I'm not seeing it listed as being on CNN tonight. There is something called "CNN Presents" on at 8pm EST, it's only an hour long so if they're showing the movie then it'd have to be abbreviated.

by Anonymousreply 1904/14/2013

But it doesn't list that as being one, it's called Newsroom Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 2004/14/2013

Sorry, I meant to write on, not one. How did you find out, OP? Here it's just listed as Newsroom Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 2104/14/2013

Throughout the documentary, we only get to see pictures of a younger, thinner Dianne. It was not until the death photo that we get a glimpse into what Diane really looked like on that tragic day.

Makes me wonder what was going on in her life for her weight to balloon so drastically.

by Anonymousreply 2204/14/2013

OP has probably just had too much vodka and pot today and is sleeping it off.

by Anonymousreply 2304/14/2013

OP's right, it's coming on CNN now. Listed as "CNN Presents" here.

by Anonymousreply 2504/14/2013

On YouTube and vimeo, full length

by Anonymousreply 2604/14/2013

Alright, so let's revive the discussion? What do you guys think happened?

by Anonymousreply 2704/14/2013

She suspected her husband was having an affair with some cute thin young thing. They had an argument the night before at the camp site.. on the way home, Diane stopped at a liquor store and bought some vodka. She drank and drove.... she drank some more.. and drove... started thinking about her husband the cheater....

by Anonymousreply 2804/14/2013

r28 I would almost believe it but have you seen her husband?

by Anonymousreply 2904/14/2013

I am not buying the medical problem angle.

I think she decided to commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 3004/14/2013

Did they cut the photo of her dead body? I was flipping back and forth and didn't see it this time.

by Anonymousreply 3104/14/2013

I can find NO links re: anything related to Aunt Diane being on TV tonight.

by Anonymousreply 3204/14/2013

I didn't see it either r31 but I remember in the initial documentary it was a quick shot. We may have just missed it.

by Anonymousreply 3304/14/2013

r32 You won't find any links, as I said earlier, it's just listed as being Newsroom Sunday or whatever the normal programming is. Just put it on Cnn, you'll see.

by Anonymousreply 3404/14/2013

Just search for "Diane Schuler Autopsy" and you'll see her death pix.

by Anonymousreply 3504/14/2013

"She suspected her husband was having an affair with some cute thin young thing. They had an argument the night before at the camp site.. on the way home, Diane stopped at a liquor store and bought some vodka. She drank and drove.... she drank some more.. and drove... started thinking about her husband the cheater...."

You must have a very vivid imagination, because the scenario you've proposed is ludicrous in the the extreme. What "cute thin young thing" would look twice at the ape-faced, rotund Danny Schuler?

Diane Schuler was fat. She lost weight (look at her wedding pictures; she never was a lightweight) and married the first bum who came along. After her marriage she ballooned again. Those death photos of her are startling; she looks as big as a while. I think she was only 5'2 and weighed over 200 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 3604/14/2013

Ok, she found out he was cheating, doesn't matter if it was with a cute young thing, what mattered is that he made the choice to be with someone that wasn't her. Control freak like her it wouldn't much matter would it?

by Anonymousreply 3704/14/2013

I meant it was cut from CNN's airing of it.

by Anonymousreply 3804/14/2013

r36I hope the poster you mentioned is kidding. Why are we obsessed with her? She's a fattish, fortyish, frauish chick and has made all of us talk about her like a hot blonde with big tits. I think she just got drunk and drove but am fascinated with everyone's take on this.

by Anonymousreply 3904/14/2013

could have been a fight over something even smaller

by Anonymousreply 4004/14/2013

And r41 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 4204/14/2013

It IS on CNN! It must have started at 10:00. I'm watching it right now. God, those relatives are stupid, denying she was drunk. The toxicology reports PROVED she was drunk and stoned. In the documentary they try to make it seem like she boozed and smoked because she was crazy out of her mind due to a medical emergency. But the autopsy report showed NO medical emergency. Total denial.

by Anonymousreply 4304/14/2013

and r43 you are right, people think her blood was tampered with and the best answer is this:

Why would her blood work have been tampered with? She was an anonymous fat frau from Long Island, it's not like she was Princess Diana. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 4404/14/2013

something happened between her and the husband at the camp. he took off and never even contacted her when she was, what, 3 or so hours late. She snapped and didn't care who she took with her. Maybe she resented her brother for having a happier family life. So she killed his children. She killed her own, despite the boy surviving, because she knew her husband would not take care of them properly. Maybe she just got so drunk and lost control, something she may have been able to control before, and killed a bunch of innocent people.

either way, she was a selfish, horrid woman who killed innocent people because she didn't realize that she was not in control that day or she just gave up and decided to commit suicide and didn't care who she took with her.

CNN may have cut out the death photo. It creeped the hell out of me in the HBO documentary.

by Anonymousreply 4504/14/2013

This blond woman's pupils are REALLY dialated. I think they are all on dope.

by Anonymousreply 4604/14/2013

I still remember some DLers saying her death photo made her look "evil". I was going to watch this again but it's too creepy and disturbing. I don't want to go through it again.

by Anonymousreply 4704/14/2013

Uh there's no way that Diane was a closet alcoholic, we all know everything about each other and have no secrets in this family! Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to sneak a smoke. I am fiending bad and nobody in the family knows I am a smoker.

by Anonymousreply 4804/14/2013

the weight bloat is a sign someone is a closet alcoholic. Her husband worked at night, she did her job, the sister in law was hiding her own addiction. they knew, they just didnt' care.

I'm going on a diet and giving up booze. I can only imagine what my family and coworkers are thinking about me.

by Anonymousreply 4904/14/2013

[R13] Thank you for the funniest depitction of a tragic story I've ever read. I remember seeing the doc on HBO years ago, but as I am somewhat new to DL, I was unaware of the fascination this case hold to some members. I assume you are a professional writer, yes?

[R41] After reading the autopsy report online, I am about to leap to the assumption that she may have become obese late in her life. Her heart was unremarkable(not enlarged) and she had no blockages or atherosclerosis. I'll bet it was a creeping gain that may have started within 3 years of her death. The woman clearly had some issues she was attempting to smother.

by Anonymousreply 5004/14/2013

I'm driving to the Hudson Valley this week from NYC, I'm now going to take the long way and avoid the Taconic, can't drive it after watching that creepy simulation of the crash. It's such a scary dangerous highway to begin with

by Anonymousreply 5104/15/2013

"I'd marry her again tomorrow. She's AWESOME, she's the best".

by Anonymousreply 5204/15/2013

Everybawdy is tawkin abowt how I don't do nuttin inna daytime. Well I gotta night job, I work faw a livin, unlike some people. An I gotta lotta grief, ya know? I'm workin on my grief. I lawst my wife. And the kid ... the little one, whutsHerName. I miss her too, sometimes. An my three nieces got offed, too.

But I don't feel bad abowt those Eye-talians inna othuh caw. You know how Eye-talians are, always tawkin with the hands. The driver was probly tawkin abowt some sausage an peppahs he wuz gonna make when he gits home, all tawkin with his hands an stuff.

"An I'm a-gonna make-ah the sausage an peppahs wit a lotta duh gawlic, lots and lotsa gawlic. An I'm a-gonna drinka some wine..." Hey, did anybody check his alcohol level in his awtopsy? I'm freakin serious. You know these Eye-ties are always growin grapes inna backyawd and stomping em inna basement, makin their own homebrew.

So no, I'm not sad that they bawt the fawm. Diane probly did everybawdy a fayvuh by takin them owt.

by Anonymousreply 5304/15/2013

Thanks for the youtube link, but the full version of the movie drones on too long. I'm vaguely interested in this story, not obsessed enough to waste vast amounts of time watching videos about it. "CNN Presents" repeats at 2am EST, hopefully it'll be the movie, abbreviated, like the earlier airing (I had to take a nap 10 minutes into it.)

by Anonymousreply 5404/15/2013

Yep it's back on right now, for at least one more airing.

by Anonymousreply 5504/15/2013

I agree with r41 except for this:

[quote] She'd probably been drinking and driving a long time and thought she could handle it.

She thought she could handle barreling down the wrong way in the fast lane for miles? That's why the case remains a mystery, we don't know why she did that and just being drunk wasn't the explanation. Being drunk made it easier for her to do it, but she didn't do it just because she was drunk.

by Anonymousreply 5604/15/2013

The sister-in-law could be an "Emmy role" for Edie Falco.

by Anonymousreply 5704/15/2013

"She thought she could handle barreling down the wrong way in the fast lane for miles? That's why the case remains a mystery, we don't know why she did that and just being drunk wasn't the explanation. Being drunk made it easier for her to do it, but she didn't do it just because she was drunk."

I think she overdid the boozing and pot-smoking that day and it loosened her inhibitions. I think she drove in the wrong direction because she finally got fed up with the stress and crap she'd been dealing with her whole life and decided to kill herself. She's probably been depressed for a long time and probably thought about suicide more than once.

In her totally blotto state she probably thought "my kids will never make it without me, so I'll take them out, too. They'd be better off dead than with their father. And I'll take their cousins with us, so they can all play together in heaven." That's totally insane thinking, but she was blind drunk at the time so it's not implausible that she thought it was the right thing to do at the time.

That's my theory. She wanted to kill herself and decided the kids should come along, too.

by Anonymousreply 5804/15/2013

Don't knowwhy she did it. Don't know why this movie bothers me so much.

by Anonymousreply 5904/15/2013

r58, I think you're giving her way too much credit to say that she thought she was helping the kids by killing them too. She just didn't care, or even resented that their lives hadn't been ruined yet, they still had everything in front of them. She may have had an unhappy, overly stressful life, but that doesn't mean she was a good person. I think she was a narcissist and a sociopath, that's the sort of person who wants company when they off themselves.

by Anonymousreply 6004/15/2013

LMFAO @ Lawnguyland Danny. Love ya

by Anonymousreply 6104/15/2013

She probably had a big fight with that moron husband of hers and she was getting back at him by killing herself and all those kids.

That may be why he's so ridiculous in his denial. He doesn't want to admit that he knew she was furious when she left. He probably knew she smoked pot and had been drinking that morning, as well.

So he feels guilty and is acting insane about the whole situation, feeling like it's HIS fault. And every time he looks at his little boy, with brain and vision damage, he gets uspet (the woman said he was really harsh with the little boy whenever he'd cry about his mother.)

That poor little boy.

by Anonymousreply 6204/15/2013

uspet = upset

by Anonymousreply 6304/15/2013

"She may have had an unhappy, overly stressful life, but that doesn't mean she was a good person. I think she was a narcissist and a sociopath, that's the sort of person who wants company when they off themselves."

I don't think she was a good person. I think she was a horrid person. Which is why it makes me puke to hear her moronic husband talk about how "perfect" she was and the idiot sister-in-law who said she would "never, never, never" drive drunk and that weird doctor or whatever he was who was in the documentary who said that she was "a good person." Diane Schuler was a very, very fucked up individual.

by Anonymousreply 6404/16/2013

The movie is not interesting because of the story, which is fairly lame and its obvious she was a drunk. The movie is interesting to watch how the people in her life lie, cover and misremember what she was like. Fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 6504/16/2013

I remember hearing about this case but never read much about it. I decided to watch the movie. She seemed like a egotistical bitch that finally took her frustration out on innocent people. Kind of like when an Aunt of mine went crazy one night, she got drunk, called a bunch of people and threatened to throw her baby out of the car as she drove down hwy 27. "I'm the best Mother ever" was her favorite phrase. Crazy bitches.

by Anonymousreply 6604/16/2013

What[R66] said.

The sister in law was in a state of denial heretofore unseen. And I completely believe her denial was genuine and not play acting for the cameras.

The only other case of such denial in the behemoth size wall of truth before them was the sad relatives of the 9-11 family members pinning the "Have you seen this person?" notes w pictures on the bulletin board constructed for that purpose following the attack. My friends kept saying, "give them a break...they're in shock." I have lost 3 people I loved dearly, but not once did I go into shock or believe they MUST be alive. I know I'm being a bit harsh, and it's probably due to my frustration with people and their religious faith, but damn! When a building the size of those is vaporized, how could someone with a brain think that their son who worked at "Windows on the World" may be roaming NYC in a stupor???

by Anonymousreply 6704/16/2013

swf, I used to write what I thought were sensible comments here in the DL, but I've gone over now. It's so much easier.

by Anonymousreply 6804/16/2013

You are all so dumb it's scary.

Severe alcoholics black out. Yes, they do. She didn't drive the wrong way down the highway because she was plotting to kill people, was upset about her husband having an affair, etc. She was shit faced drunk and blacked out. She was a dazed zombie who, if she had gotten home safely, would not remember the drive at all.

She was not fat because of some tragedy or because she has "severe psychological issues." LOL. She was fat because she was fat. Like A LOT of (most) middle aged average Americans.

Her family does not believe that she wasn't drinking. They know full well that she was. They are steadfastly holding to their pathetic story because they're looking for a payday from several lawsuits.

And, uh R67, quite a few of those people posting notes DID have surviving family members. Many, many people were MIA in the aftermath of 9/11. They may not have been IN the buildings, but were in the area at the time, and families could not get hold of them for days.

by Anonymousreply 6904/16/2013

Danny is a simpleton who is pissed off he has to raise his kid alone now. I think Diane did everything for him.

by Anonymousreply 7004/16/2013

Brian Williams is interviewing the Hance's (brother and sister-in-law) tonight 10 PM on NBC

by Anonymousreply 7104/26/2013

Ann Curry did the interview. Wasn't there a phone call between the brother and Diane that no one will tell what was said? They only showed flattering pictures of Diane...

by Anonymousreply 7204/26/2013

R69 gets it right.

by Anonymousreply 7304/26/2013

R69 you don't know if she had a black out just like others don't know for sure if she did it on purpose...

by Anonymousreply 7404/26/2013

She was a great big fat person.

by Anonymousreply 7504/27/2013

The autopsy said she had 113 ng (I forget the letters) of marijuana in her tht a lot?

by Anonymousreply 7604/27/2013

[R69] As I said, I knew I was coming off as harsh and insensitive, but I did specify "a woman whose son worked at Windows on the World". Do you not think that was an extreme case of shock/denial? And, this occurred several days after the tragedy. I would hope that by that point, anyone on the ground during the explosion had found a way to contact their loved ones.

Except of course for those sneaky tricksters who used the opportunity to escape their horrid lives and begin anew in a different locale. That is the one weirdo theory that I DO think is plausible. You know there had to be ONE miserable SOB who hated his wife and life, but felt trapped by financial realities etc who actually used that opportunity to get the hell out of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 7704/27/2013

[R64] Do you mean Werner "gun for hire" Spitz MD?

He is a character...almost as hard to understand as his #1 rival on the Civil/Criminal Court scene Dr. Henry "OJ blood splatter" Lee. I am at at a loss to comprehend how the top two scientific expert witnesses in the US are both foreign born men who have lived here for 50+ years, yet they are still near intelligible. Kinda like Charo.

by Anonymousreply 7804/27/2013

Are you on the wrong thread, dear?

by Anonymousreply 7904/27/2013

I think she blacked out, I just think of those poor kids screaming as she drove into traffic. Bitch was an alcoholic but Danny won't admit it because he doesn't want to get sued.

by Anonymousreply 8004/27/2013

Is that a lot of pot to have in the system?

by Anonymousreply 8104/27/2013

They said she was a control freak and a very agressive driver. She had some issues with her mother who she completely shut out of her liffe but some say the grandmother saw the children behind Diane's back. Did she find out this on the campimg trip?

by Anonymousreply 8204/27/2013

[R79] Are you addressing me? If so, I was responding to R64 about the strange doctor in the documentary. If you weren't...nevermind.

by Anonymousreply 8304/27/2013

She was driving around for the better part of 5 hours. It only takes and hour and a half to two hours to get from the campsite to her home.

by Anonymousreply 8404/27/2013

The interview Jackie Hance did was ho-hum. All she did was cry and moan about "not protecting" her little girls. No real criticism of Diane Schuler at all. Only one thing she said was interesting. She said that when one of her daughters called her, crying and saying "there's something wrong with Aunt Diane", she could hear the other girls crying too. She then called Diane Schuler and Schuler told her, "it's ok, they're having fun, they're playing." "She wasn't making sense", Hance said. I'll bet she wasn't! She was totally blotto from guzzling vodka-laced orange juice and smoking a few joints.

Hance said what you would expect in these types of interviews; that she had "forgiven" Schuler, that she "had to" forgive her in order to heal, blah, blah, blah. I never bought that crap, that "you must forgive the person who robbed/raped/maimed you (or in this case, killed your children) in order to heal." I think that's a load of bullshit that's foisted on people who don't know how to deal with their anger and grief. "Just forgive"...hah! It's not that simple.

I wish someone who knew Diane Schuler (or the survivors of the men she killed) would come right out and say it: Schuler was a mentally-disturbed, very angry control freak who did a very good job of concealing her alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 8504/29/2013

I have never seen a family so in denial! Alcohol is a killer as she used it as a weapon to kill eight people!

by Anonymousreply 8705/25/2013

The Hance family was/is being sued by the Bastardi and Longo families because the minivan Diane Schuler was driving belonged to them. So Jackie Hance had to be careful of what she said in front of the camera. In one of those "only on America" situations, Danny Schuler was suing the Hances and the Hances are suing him.

by Anonymousreply 8805/26/2013

This was on CNN last night. It's obvious the woman had a fight with her jerk of a husband before driving home. She must have decided to commit suicide and take everybody with her to get back at the husband. The getting drunk and high was just to give herself the courage to do it. The other drivers who saw her before the accident all insisted she was aggressive and was driving way too fast - they were honking at her so if she had just made a drunken mistake driving in the wrong direction, that would have made her aware of what she was doing.

Evil psycho bitch. Husband's an idiot too.

by Anonymousreply 8905/26/2013

Crazy drunk in a mini van.

by Anonymousreply 9005/26/2013

Wish they'd do a follow-up doc. I'd bet he's taken the easy way out and found another wife to take care of his needs. He was totally unable, more like unwilling, to do anything for himself, or his only surviving kid after the accident. He depended way too much on the kindness of his sister in-law. He knew damn well his wife was a functioning alcoholic, who also smoked weed.

by Anonymousreply 9105/26/2013

Seeing as I am easily suggestible, I too have fallen into the obsession with this documentary. I watched it again last night on CNN, and this time something really grabbed me that didn't seem as important as it did in my original viewing.

The pathetic sister in law who smokes kept hammering Dr. Warren Spitz about the tooth abcess, the possibility of a stroke and a few other maladies. And Dr. Spitz said in his best Goebbels accent: "Yes yes yes of course these things may have happened. But you must still come back to the high level of alcohol in her system, That will always trump everything else." So, even if she was having a brain aneurysm, her 1.9 alkie count wins out in court.

by Anonymousreply 9205/26/2013

He also said the autopsy showed no aneurism. I am having a hard time believing she was just really drunk and high due to the witnesses who saw her face and stated she was driving very purposeful, was not weaving just driving on the wrong side of the road, and seemed focused. I think she did this as a suicide and unfortunately took the children and the other victims with her. Having been abandoned by her mom, then forced to become the woman of that house while still a child, then marring the first guy who she dated, an insensitive idiot who probably treated her like a servant rather than a wife and companion, resulted in her turning into a closeted alcoholic and pot user, she was a ticking time bomb of hidden rage and she finally exploded. I just wish she had not taken those poor innocent people with her.

by Anonymousreply 9305/26/2013

Those poor guidos from YONkiz, happily returning from a day of fishing and ..... splat! Aunt Diane aimed to take out as many innocent people as she could.

by Anonymousreply 9405/27/2013

As if Danny could get anyone else to marry him...

by Anonymousreply 9505/27/2013

I felt bad for her. She needed help and that buffoon she married wasn't going to step up. She seemed lonely.

by Anonymousreply 9610/18/2013

by Anonymousreply 9710/13/2014

r95 There is always some poor idiot to marry. Many women must have a man, any man, in their lives or their lives are incomplete.

by Anonymousreply 9810/14/2014

R41 nailed it. It's all pretty obvious if not overt. She was an unhappy, controlling woman with a very high-stress life and a lout of a husband. She self-medicated, got angry (not necessarily in that order) and lost control. I get the sense things were building for a long time and many signs were missed. And it's obvious the family was/is in denial about a lot of things.

by Anonymousreply 10010/14/2014

R99, WHAT in the motherfuck is wrong with you - or perhaps you're making some sort of lame joke...

by Anonymousreply 10110/14/2014

If my last name was Bastardi I'd fucking change it.

by Anonymousreply 10210/14/2014

The documentary is now on YouTube if anyone cares to watch.

by Anonymousreply 10310/14/2014

Hance's book is pretty toothless about her feelings toward Diane. I can't believe she's really, truly forgiven her.

There is one detail I always find interesting though. That morning, they'd stopped at a McDonald's and the boy wanted McNuggets and they were still serving breakfast. Schuler kicked up a bug fuss apparently to make sure "the children all got what they wanted." Hance makes it sound like an admirable trait but as the manager was called as well, I am sure Schuler caused a fuss. Why haven't they asked those McDonald's people any more?

by Anonymousreply 10410/14/2014

R99...Take your meds!

by Anonymousreply 10610/14/2014

[quote] After reading the autopsy report online, I am about to leap to the assumption that she may have become obese late in her life

This is not true. All you need to do is watch the doc. She always had weight problems. Then, when she was in her 20s, she went on a crash diet and lost a lot of weight. That's when she met and married her husband. Her friends spelled it out -- she wanted marriage and kids. She slimmed down and grabbed the first guy she could hook.

Then she ballooned back up again.

by Anonymousreply 10710/14/2014

Hey R99 Farrah died on the same day Michael Jackson died, not Whitney. If you're gonna be nonsensical and all babbly at least keep your facts straight.

by Anonymousreply 11110/14/2014

Also R99, Diane Downs did give birth in prison but the baby did NOT die. Do try to keep up, dear.

by Anonymousreply 11210/14/2014

flag the troll...he lights up this page

by Anonymousreply 11410/14/2014

How do we even one she's dead? I think she staged the accident because them girls threatened to expose her husband for molesting them. She called him to come pick her up and they staged the accident.

by Anonymousreply 11510/14/2014

[quote]Michael's not dead. My facts are in order.

Hey Einstein. He's dead. I should know. I was there when he died.

[quote]I'm not going to argue with a media puppet - I have classes today.

Special class? Or rather, "explorer" class? Don't be late for the shortbus.

by Anonymousreply 11610/14/2014

I always get annoyed when people mention the pot Auntie D. smoked, like it was in ANY WAY as impairing as the fucking BOTTLE OF VODKA she chugged.

Pot tends to make people more cautious while driving. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 11710/14/2014

So true, R117!

by Anonymousreply 11810/14/2014

He was already a crazy driver, R118; his license had been revoked seven months before that accident. There is no indication that a test was administered showing the driver was stoned *when the accident occurred*. THC can stay in the blood for up to a month. It absolutely does not cause people to drive like that.

Anyone who's ever driven stoned (show of hands?) can tell you that it does not cause you to speed down the wrong way of the Taconic Parkway. For that to happen, it takes vodka.

by Anonymousreply 11910/14/2014

I DVRed the documentary when it first aired and watched it several times hoping to find something that would make even a little bit of sense to explain why this happened. I read of tons of articles trying to explain why she did what she did and couldn't find anything.

Then a while back I read that Diane Schuler had Ambien in her system. Add that to the the jug of vodka she drank and the pot she was smoking and I could see something like this perhaps happening.

I had a horrible experience taking Ambien, Tho nothing like driving the wrong way down a highway. Something went wrong with whatever causes you to fall asleep and didn't sleep at all for 6 days. My primary care doctor gave me a seven day script for Ambien CR and it didn't work the way it should have and I went thru a week of hell doing seriously messed up things and acting crazy. When I went back to my doctor and told him what had happened he said he wasn't surprised, that he had read stories about people having strange and dangerous issues with it. Later I read stories about other people that had taken it and had worse issues with it than I did.

I'll try to find the article I read about Ambien perhaps having something to do with this. If she had been taking Ambien and especially if she hadn't taken it in the way she should have it would explain some of her crazy behavior.

by Anonymousreply 12010/14/2014

Her tox screen did not show Ambien in her system. If it did, her lowlife husband and his disgraced lawyer would be suing the company that manufacturer from here to kingdom come.

I believe she committed suicide. Her brother was on his way to Long Island to get her - rather than calling 911. He either suspected she was loaded and/or having a breakdown and wanted to keep the cops out. Bad decision, it cost him his children's lives.

by Anonymousreply 12110/14/2014

Were there reports of rages, tantrums with her (before the accident)?

by Anonymousreply 12210/14/2014

What happened to you when your took Ambien R120? My boyfriend takes that every once in awhile and it's been a godsend to him.

by Anonymousreply 12310/14/2014

R123 I had conversations with my bf that made no sense. I’m pretty sure what happened was that I would fall asleep and have a quick dream and wake up not realizing that I’d been dreaming and assume what I dreamt was real, like my bf had told me we had plans with friends in a few hours, and I would get up and get dressed to go out and then he’d tell me he had no idea what I was talking about we had no plans to go out. Also I’d be doing something at home and fall asleep for a second and then get up and grab something to bring to another room. Brought all the cast iron pans into the bathroom and piled them up in the bathtub.

I sleep walked into wall then fell down a flight of stairs right next to the wall I’d walked into. I cooked and ate while asleep, my boyfriend caught me trying to clean while on the stuff, online shopping while I was mostly not there and worst of all I drove while whacked out on Ambien .

by Anonymousreply 12410/14/2014

I like Trazadone way the heck better than Ambien.

Aunt Diane was a control freak to the ninth degree and she purposely did what she did like a coward because she had to be the one to end things on her terms. She was a sick fuck, I don't care what she drank or any of that at all. The woman was deranged!

by Anonymousreply 12510/14/2014

My pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 12610/14/2014

Yes r122. Friends said that she was bossy, controlling and routinely layed on her horn and screamed in her car.

by Anonymousreply 12710/14/2014

[quote]I believe she committed suicide. Her brother was on his way to Long Island to get her - rather than calling 911. He either suspected she was loaded and/or having a breakdown and wanted to keep the cops out. Bad decision, it cost him his children's lives.

Yeah but remember - he never wanted kids to begin with. I caught that when I watched it last night.

Maybe he really did get everything he wanted after all.

by Anonymousreply 12810/14/2014

The movie is on HBO Go, if anyone cares.

by Anonymousreply 12910/14/2014

The brother didn't want kids or Diane's HUSBAND, r128.

If she was insisting the kids get the food they want, maybe it was like the last supper they give to inmates on death row...?

by Anonymousreply 13010/14/2014

Those 3 friends from high school had nothing to do with her since before she married Danny. They only interviewed one woman who was her present day friend and she seemed kind of tough. I am not buying that Diane was this sweetheart, I think she was a mean bitch.

by Anonymousreply 13110/14/2014

I agree that she committed suicide & likely took her own kids with her because she knew Danny didn't really want them, though you wonder why she just didn't leave the nieces at McDonald's and tell them to call their dad to come & get them. I suppose it's because the suicidal mind isn't a rational one, but still it's a terrible shame about those three girls. That her own daughter died is sad too, but Danny didn't even mention her in the documentary, which makes me think that little girl is better off.

by Anonymousreply 13210/14/2014

Her own mother abandoned her and her family when she was 9 years old and she never once talked about it. She self medicated all those years to cover up the pain and all those years of hate, resentment, anger and suppression just came to a boiling point on that day. If she wanted to kill herself then fine, but why did she have to take out 7 other people along the way. Murder/suicide seems the way a lot of people are choosing to end their lives these days. So sick, fucked up and selfish. And the husband is as sick as she was. No wonder they were together.

by Anonymousreply 13310/14/2014

It's a drunk driving case, unworthy of a documentary or so much insightful discussion. The motives of D Shuler will never be known, but the rest is obvious to everyone. There are two moments of insight in the whole documentary, both supplied unwittingly by the sister-in-law. Watch it again.

Also, though the film is compelling in a minor way, it's focus is very skewered for both legal and personal reasons. The documentary is misleading to even the most discerning or analytical. None of the victims are discussed in any detail, why?

The documentary details the timeline of the fatality and Diane's movements, yet fails to detail the timeline of the family members pre and post crash. They don't do it because to do so would provide them with even less of a "mystery" than is presented. It is jacked up journalism and filmmaking with false characters featured for their own motives. None of the family cooperated with the police investigation. There is no revelation to be had in the film, because it is not an exploration of denial, or other reasons why this terrible thing occurred. This is not about denial. It is about denying.

There is nothing there but a husband who holds a press conference and goes on Larry King live within 3 days of these horrific losses, insisting his wife was a happy person who did not drink. He is more pissed off than grief stricken over the loss of wife and daughter, three nieces and three strangers. The media and eventually HBO allowed this conversation to continue. Everyone knows what Diane did. What was in her head that last morning of her life, no one is saying. They are suing.

by Anonymousreply 13410/14/2014

Didn't anyone else catch the following - the murderous frau hated her own mother for abandoning her; the rest of the family had reconciled with the fat bitch's mother but had to keep it a secret from rage-frau "aunt Diane"; the three nieces had to be home from camping in time to be in some performance.

I bet the crazy frau's hated mother was going to be at that performance, aunt Diane found that out from her sister in law while driving drunk & already enraged at dogshit Danny, and she turned the car around and doubled back on the Taconic to kill all of her mother's grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 13510/14/2014

Is she in prison yet?

by Anonymousreply 13610/14/2014

Why is she looking straight ahead in this pic?

by Anonymousreply 13710/15/2014

But away in this pic?

by Anonymousreply 13810/15/2014

Oh, gee, thanks for posting those pictures again. Yikes.

There have been a lot of wrong way drivers recently in Tampa. All of them have been ragingly drunk. Someone needs to tell Diane's family about Occam's razor.

by Anonymousreply 13910/15/2014

r137 and r138 looks like she had gigantic tits

by Anonymousreply 14010/15/2014

R135, that's the best summation I've heard about motive.

by Anonymousreply 14110/15/2014

[quote]the murderous frau hated her own mother for abandoning her; the rest of the family had reconciled with the fat bitch's mother but had to keep it a secret from rage-frau "aunt Diane"

She had problems with anger, sure, but she WAS their fucking mother when she was a kid because the real mom abandoned them. They had the luxury of reconciling with that woman because they didn't really miss having a mother. Diane missed out on a lot by being the mother figure in that household, and had a right to be resentful.

With the rest of her family refusing to respect her feelings on it, and knowing all the work she'd done for them her whole life, no wonder she was angry.

Whether that anger made her deliberately drive the wrong way, who knows. It probably made her drink, but I just don't think there's evidence to indicate she drove the wrong way on purpose, because she drove waaaaay too long. If all she wanted to do was crash into someone, she would have done it a lot sooner.

by Anonymousreply 14210/15/2014

She did have gigantic tits and she was fat (204 lbs), but a fair amount of that bloat in her face, neck and upper chest is edema and blood from multiple fractures, lacerations, abrasions, and a blown aorta. Her jaw and teeth were pummeled. She ended up looking like a prizefighter.

by Anonymousreply 14310/15/2014

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 14410/15/2014

I think she deliberately drove the wrong way on purpose. She knew as she wasn't driving erractically and would have seen traffic in the other lanes.

by Anonymousreply 14510/15/2014

I thinks she´s tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 14610/15/2014

[quote] but a fair amount of that bloat in her face, neck and upper chest is edema and blood from multiple fractures, lacerations, abrasions, and a blown aorta.

No it isn't. She had very little swelling on autopsy. You tried making that shit up in another thread. Why do insist on writing false things when you have no medical knowledge?

by Anonymousreply 14710/15/2014

Sure, r148, if you are loaded out of your mind and can't read red signs saying WRONG WAY - Do Not Enter - Go Back.

by Anonymousreply 14910/15/2014

Yes, R148.

That's why these wrong-way accidents occur every day on the Taconic - because of signage.

by Anonymousreply 15010/15/2014

The problem with the signage on the Taconic is not straightforward. According to Wikipédia:

In July 2009, Diane Schuler of West Babylon crashed her van head-on into an oncoming sport utility vehicle (SUV) while driving south in the northbound lanes [83] approximately 1.7 miles (2.7 km) north of the Pleasantville Road exit. Eight people, including Schuler and several children, were killed. The accident was the deadliest ever on the parkway, and the worst motor vehicle accident in Westchester County since 1934. Schuler was determined to have been driving under the influence of both alcohol and marijuana.[84]

"The road, which has a lower accident rate than average for New York, was not considered to be at fault. Some changes were nevertheless made. Two large "Wrong Way" signs were installed on the ramp she drove down. Westchester County Executive Andrew Spano ordered that signage at onramps on the Taconic and other parkways in the county be checked to make sure "there can be no question of whether you're entering or exiting.""[

by Anonymousreply 15110/15/2014

Parallel occurred a few years ago near where I used to live. Drunk woman in big SUV ran headlong into another car. Something like 7 people were killed--everyone in the drunk woman's car (all children, one or two her own, the others cousins, I believe) and the woman and her kids in the other car. The drunk survived. Said she was trying to commit suicide.

by Anonymousreply 15210/15/2014

Towards the end of the movie, Jay Shuler finally gets in contact with the investigator they hired to check yet again to see if there wasn't some mix-up with the toxicology reports. He told her everything was the same; the samples were from Diane and the samples showed she was drunk off her ass. At a loss, Shuler starts crying; exasperated, the investigator has the balls to say "we'll never know if Diana did this on purpose." NOBODY in that movie wanted to even consider that chilling possibility; that Diane Shuler, fed up with her life and drunk as shit, decided to play with fate by speeding a car in the wrong direction in hopes of making a quick exit. So what if her nieces and children were in the car? She probably thought it would be best to take them with her; her kids would never make it without her and if the nieces came along then they could all play together in heaven.

I think Diane Shuler, her inhibitions loosened by vodka and pot, impulsively decided to end it all and take those children with her.

by Anonymousreply 15310/15/2014

Honestly - she reminds me of my own mother.

I wonder how many other people feel the same way about their mothers.

by Anonymousreply 15410/15/2014

I still wonder what happened the night before and that morning. Why was the brother going to intercept her instead of calling the police? The family's actions were never explained satisfactorily.

by Anonymousreply 15510/15/2014

The family is hiding a whole lot of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 15610/15/2014

Mostly what they´re hiding are Diane´s empty vodka bottles.

by Anonymousreply 15710/15/2014

I think r156 is right. Not only hiding her drinking and pot use but also some other shit that was going on in that household. Now they feel guilty as fuck about it and they all know EXACTLY why she killed herself and those kids.

They know but none of them will say a word except to defend her.

by Anonymousreply 15910/15/2014

Does that explain Rosie?

by Anonymousreply 16110/15/2014

by Anonymousreply 16210/15/2014

R160, what is "this"? It used to be called female hysteria when a fat bitch murdered like 10 people?

by Anonymousreply 16310/15/2014

As mothers who kill their children often do, she ordered her kid's favorite meal that morning and let the kids play at the mcdonalds playground before driving around for several hours, drinking and working up the nerve to go through with murder-suicide.

She probably was a closet alcoholic but I don't think that's an excuse for what she did. For whatever reason, she decided to kill herself that day and to take a bunch of kids with her. This was not an accident but a willful act of murder.

by Anonymousreply 16410/15/2014

So Aunt Diane is taking over CNN? Aunt Diane Sawyer?

by Anonymousreply 16610/15/2014

Here's her autopsy report is anyone is interested.

by Anonymousreply 16710/16/2014

The kids in the car knew something was wrong. The brother knew something was wrong.

Why can't the brother or somebody admit she was out of her head? I still don't believe that not one person noticed anything odd with her that morning.

by Anonymousreply 16810/16/2014

Hmm, you make a fine case, playwright at [r16].

by Anonymousreply 16910/16/2014

I agree R135, that is the theory I have always believed as well. Except I don't think that Diane only wanted to punish her mother, she wanted to punish Danny and her brother as well. She was gonna be damned if her mother was gonna come back into their lives and take over. And she was gonna be damned if her brother(s) chose their mother over Diane.

She wasn't just filled with pot and vodka, she was filled with murderous rage. She decided to make them all pay...even if it meant taking her own children's lives.

by Anonymousreply 17010/16/2014

I had posted at R120 that I had read something stating Diane had taken Ambien. I must have read or remembered it wrong, She had been prescribed Ambien and Vicodin but they didn't find any in her system. I'm sorry.

by Anonymousreply 17110/16/2014

Wow, someone apologizing on Datalounge? That's got to be a first.

But seriously, don't worry about it R120/R171 it's easy enough to read that she was prescribed Ambien and to think she took it the night before and it had something to with the way she acted

by Anonymousreply 17210/16/2014

[quote] [R28] I would almost believe it but have you seen her husband?

I was born and raised on Lawn Guyland before it was suburbia. I watched it devolve into what it is today. After 25 years in the city I'm out on the East End, and I have relatives all over Suffolk County. I can tell you for a fact that ANY and I mean ANY male on Lawn Guyland can get a female. Perfect example -- Joey Buttafuoco. Had a wife and a girlfriend. He was a lyin' friggin' LI douchebag and he had at least two females. He may have had more.

My sister's husband. A know-nothing waste of space; a bore; a person with whom conversation was limited to about 12 seconds. My sister was obsessed with him starting when she was 13 and he was 14. He had multiple affairs while married to my sister. My sister always forgave him. One day he left to go live with his current gf. My sister kept calling and telling him she was going to give him one more chance. She was shocked when he didn't come back. Her current bf has never filed income tax. Always worked off the books. Now he's disabled, so he gets about $400 a month to live on.

I can roll off 100 cases of human males slightly above the evolutionary scale of dung beetles with wives, girlfriends, etc. There's something in the water, I'm telling you. My husband is a therapist, and I hear about patients (no names, of course) with the same stories, so it's not just my family.

The women aren't necessarily uneducated, ugly and stupid. There are some who are very well educated, well spoken, well-paid at important jobs and you'll find out their BFs are working in the deli department at King Kullen. Part time. And living with mom and dad while the woman is looking to put a down payment on a house so that the bf can move in with her.

Watch Judge Judy. Lawn Guyland is filled with idiot men and women like the people you see on that show. The fattest, stupidest, rudest, poorest lout of a man can get at least one woman on LI and she isn't necessarily as fat, stupid, rude and poor as he is. True, sometimes she is only 17 years old.

But 17 is legal here.

Onslow from Keeping Up Appearances could have a harem on LI.

by Anonymousreply 17310/16/2014

[quote] you'll find out their BFs are working in the deli department at King Kullen. Part time. And living with mom and dad while the woman is looking to put a down payment on a house so that the bf can move in with her.

Oh, and then you'll find out the bf has two kids from previous one-night stands. Doesn't matter. The gf with the $175k a year job still wants him. Bad.

by Anonymousreply 17410/16/2014

I read that Ambien often is not detectable during an autopsy?

by Anonymousreply 17510/16/2014

[quote]I read that Ambien often is not detectable during an autopsy?

Lest I be accused of mouthing off about something again, Ambien has a very short half-life, but if she was high on it when she died, it would have been detectable.

I stopped taking Ambien when we moved (prior to coming to New York) into an apartment on the eleventh floor with a balcony. I had nightmares about sleepwalking my way off the thing.

by Anonymousreply 17610/16/2014

Second string bitches tryin get a baby

by Anonymousreply 17710/16/2014

Just watched the YouTube. Could have been suicide, 70mph in the fast lane dead straight and drunk and high. Possibly suicide. Or a drunk accident. A vane woman that had her way 100% in all things, friends, family, work - but maybe not with a cheating, resentlful man child of a husband.

She married a child, raised male children (her brothers). Danny is a pathological liar about Drug use - "rarely occasional user." Who was the lady that says "I know she smoked to get to sleep." Did her gf that was cowed by her say this? A world of difference implied in usage. I believe - NOT DANNY. He is doing this for CYA, were there lawsuits? Or is it because he is a known felon of an a**hole being, and this is done to show him being a loyal mate?

Let's begin with the fame whore sister of Danny -Jay, and just a tower of DENIAL, to the degree it is a real sickness with her. I have experience with people like her: the forensic MD's tell her, the ME tells her, the lawyer tells her, the seedy investigator tells her, and she is like "Wheeeree do I go from heeree!?" Well horrible person, you are mental psych case, and I would go to the psychotropics for starters.

Next I would try to find poor little Bryan a less crazy Foster Family that can keep him far far far away from Jay and Danny. He can experience real love, compassion and security and not be dragging down photo albums to relive the worst moment of his life for your entertainment.

Danny's remark that he resented Diane for "leaving him with all this responsiblity" Parallel that with Jaaayye saying she does everything for him, and whew. Now if Danny were to meet his own fate on a mile marker - that would work for me. Sorry but he is the scum....

Diane meant well with the camping but she was a drunk and user. She was also a control freak that little Danny probably resented every day of his life, the idea that he was "opposed to kids" is nothing but a way to hide his disdain and resentment of her. She killed those kids, but first she terrified them in all kinds of ways. Why does she get an obscenely HUGE display on her grave site?

Poor little survivor Bryan, yeah he will be in therapy all of his life - his Dad is the biggest a**hole male on the planet.

Perhaps that seedy PI is holding on to the results for another movie - the highest bidder.

by Anonymousreply 17810/16/2014

Actually the lawyer turned out to be the seedy one, he was later revealed to be a drug fiend and disbarred from stealing from clients.

by Anonymousreply 17910/16/2014

R170, her son survived. In fact, he was the only survivor.

by Anonymousreply 18010/16/2014

Watching it now.

Seems like everyone is in denial.

by Anonymousreply 18110/16/2014

I just finished reading a book on this case. Danny Schuler lied when he said he went to the campground the day before. State police investigators confronted him with this lie, but he stuck to his story, and said E-Z Pass records must be mistaken. No one knows where he was the night before, as he wasn't at home or at the campground. Also, the whole argument that she argued at McDonalds about chicken selects came from Danny's own convicted felon investigator, the police statement says no such thing, that the women seemed pleasant, ordered for the kids, watched them play, and left. At the gas station (there's video) the attendant was never interviewed by the police. The attendant doesn't even look up when she speaks to him. The whole tylenol thing was from the shady PI hired by Danny. The Bastardi family's investigator suspect she asked if they sold alcoholic beverages or rolling papers, was told no, and left. What gas station convenience store doesn't sell at least those overpriced travel/sample packets?

by Anonymousreply 18210/16/2014

I feel really bad for the witnesses. They are all blaming themselves. Why?

The older couple that she tailgated into the rest stop - the man said if he had known, he would have confronted her. When he was telling how she was tailgating him and tried to pass on the shoulder, you could see how scared he was of her. Then he felt guilty because he thinks he could have been able to stop her.

Or the two guys that pulled the kids from the car - the one man that was crying felt guilty because he didn't realize the boy was still alive. And he was upset he couldn't help the other victims.

Whatever happened, she certainly traumatized (and KILLED) a lot of innocent people that day.

by Anonymousreply 18310/16/2014

Good points, r182. The HBO documentary doesn't even interview the gas station attendant.

And the McD's cashier said (in the HBO doc) that Diane seemed fine. No mention of an argument or anything like that.

Fat Man Child is in total denial. I think he's banging Jay.

by Anonymousreply 18410/16/2014

R182, which book?

I thought they released video surveillance pictures of Diane Schuler at McDonald's ordering the chicken tenders for her kid? And ordering two orange juices?

If you're talking about the book that the victim's sister wrote, I'm not sure how objective those accounts are either.

by Anonymousreply 18510/16/2014

Another reason I think Diane decided to commit suicide/murder is that she left her cell phone on the side of the road. WHY would she do that??? She didn't want her brother or law enforcement to be able to track her by phone. She smoked and drank until she was high and drunk enough to muster up the nerve to carry out her hideous plan.

by Anonymousreply 18610/16/2014

[quote]I stopped taking Ambien when we moved (prior to coming to New York) into an apartment on the eleventh floor with a balcony. I had nightmares about sleepwalking my way off the thing.

You made the right call. My ex-boyfriend totaled my car while driving on Ambien.

by Anonymousreply 18710/16/2014

The video of Diane at the Sunoco Gas station was released, but only a single screen shot of Diane at McDonalds was ever made public. Ruskin, Schuler's investigator, was able to obtain the McD video and the story about chicken selects originated with him pursuant to his purported interview. The public has never seen more than a screen shot of Diane at McDonalds.

And yes, the book I read was the one by the victim's sister. I am not getting my information through the purview of a grief stricken son, however. The information I relayed comes from the State Police investigation and archives, which was closed not too long after the accident as no criminal charges could be pursued against a decedent. Much of this information is available with only a few keystrokes.

by Anonymousreply 18810/16/2014

Oh, and one more thing. Schuler and his attorney made much of the fact that they wished to exhume Diane's body to prove a catastrophic medical event caused the accident. This never happened. The State Police informed Schuler that they would request their own forensic tests should this exhumation take place, and that would include a hair follicle test. This type of test would show a longer duration of habitual drug use/abuse. The exhumation never happened.

by Anonymousreply 18910/16/2014

Someone tampered with her blood work. I'm very sure she never drove drunk with those kids, I'm thinking she was possibly ill or simply made a terrible mistake. I'll never believe she was drinking and driving with those children in the car. I've been around many alcoholics and her whole family and group of friends would have known she was alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 19010/16/2014

You're missing the point. Of course her family knew! Her in laws even told the police she smoked pot often to combat insomnia, which her husband denied. Of course the Hances knew as well, but no one wanted to admit prior knowledge that could be construed as negligence.

by Anonymousreply 19110/16/2014

Has anyone talked about Danny's history of DUI?

by Anonymousreply 19210/16/2014

R190, her brother - the father of the little girls she killed knew. He was driving from Long Island to get her. He probably told her to stay put and her would come with their father to drive the minivan home. That's when she left the phone and drove off.

She and her husband worked different shifts. Danny may have had no idea how much she regularly drank at night.

And finally, the empty bottle of Absolut was found in the wreckage.

by Anonymousreply 19310/16/2014

HBO didn't do a very good job on this documentary.

by Anonymousreply 19410/16/2014

[quote]And finally, the empty bottle of Absolut was found in the wreckage.

Her husband and sister-in-law said that was left over from a party at the campground, that they usually had liquor at the site and that bottle was left accidentally there.

by Anonymousreply 19510/16/2014

Oh everyone smokes pot and most people have a few beers or does not mean that in the middle of the day, they drive drunk with children in the car. Drinking soccer Mom's are wise enough to get someone else to cart the kids. Something else was wrong with that woman but no one will ever believe it, it's a lost cause to argue it but I don't believe she was drunk.

It's like people still insist Princess Diana's driver was drunk. No he wasn't. It was very clear from pictures just before the crash, the driver was completely blinded by camera flashes, the fault was with the paparazzi and the fact that his boss requested he drive to fast for conditions. He was employed by a famous rich man, would he have actually gotten drunk before the drive? The passengers could have smelled it. Don't be sheep.

by Anonymousreply 19610/16/2014

She had over 10 ounces of undigested alcohol in her stomach. Why would a coroner lie about that? What gain would he/she have to lie about that?

Also, most people who smoke weed and have a few beers don't tend to start drinking first thing in the morning (oj at mcdonalds), with five kids in the car on a long drive home. That is alcoholic behavior.

by Anonymousreply 19710/16/2014

It is common for soccer moms to have a few glasses of wine at night to relax. But pot is not a common thing for the soccer mom type. So I do find it odd that was a regular thing for Diane.

by Anonymousreply 19810/16/2014

Why not exhume her body and retest the toxicology, then? They made a big deal, held a press conference to announce it, in fact. The minute a hair follicle test was brought up, no more exhumation. Can't you see these people for what they are? Diane might have married an asshole and gotten a raw deal, true, but that doesn't mean she isn't responsible for her actions and their consequences and her family most surely knew of her habits. Why didn't her brother call the police when she phoned him and told him she was "ill"? Because he did not want to involve the police, even though she had his three young children in the car with her. Anyone with a small semblance of common sense would have called the authorities, or at least medical help, unless they had something to hide or someone to protect. The documentary was called "There's Something Wrong With Aunt Diane" because that was the last time Jackie Hance spoke to her 9 year old daughter, and those were her daughter's frantic last words to her before the phone went dead. Who wouldn't request immediate help from someone, ANYONE, in the vicinity after getting a call like that? But no, Hance decided he'd drive over an hour to rescue them after he told Diane to stay put. It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

by Anonymousreply 19910/16/2014

If only she would have stayed put.

by Anonymousreply 20010/16/2014

I thought the brother's wife called the cops but they couldnt figure out whose name the phone was in. In the HBO documemtary, the audio of the call was played. It was like a minute or two before the accident. You hear the wife asking her husband whose name the phone was in, Hance or Schuler. Her husband was on the phone with Danny trying to relay the info between the two.

In the timeline it would have been less than a half hour after she was incoherent while speaking to the brother.

by Anonymousreply 20110/16/2014

"If you kids don't shut up and stop fighting, I swear I'm gonna crash the car!"

by Anonymousreply 20210/16/2014

This is like JonBenet Ramsey. Everybody knows what happened, but rich white people always think they can game the system and control the story.

by Anonymousreply 20310/17/2014

According to the State Police timeline, Diane called Jackie Hance at 12:56 pm, about forty minutes before the crash, and sounded "out of it" Her husband, Warren Hance arrived home after that call and tried to get Diane, first voicemail, then he spoke with her and claims she sounded "disoriented". Shortly after that, they receive the call from the 9 year old Emma Hance, who tells them something's wrong with Aunt Diane and then the phone goes dead. It isn't until @ 1:37 pm, almost forty minutes after the initial "out of it" call that the Hances notify the police to notify them of a possible emergency. It is then that the police try calling her cell phone, and get no answer. The crash occurred at 1:35 pm.

by Anonymousreply 20510/17/2014

I don't know how the Hances made it through that nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 20610/17/2014

R190 You cannot be serious?

by Anonymousreply 20710/17/2014

R205, but her brother/sister-in-law DID call the police. There are posts here claiming otherwise. Also, Hance and his wife reached out to the other victims' families and want nothing to do with the Schulers.

by Anonymousreply 20810/17/2014

R 208, I'm not disputing that they called the police, but they waited a while before they did, and I don't think they were very forthcoming with their information. The police had already received a barrage of calls about a red minivan driving erratically, I believe the reports state that when linking all the motorist complaints, they estimated she been driving like a mad woman for almost sixty miles, in addition to the several witnesses who saw her vomiting on the side of the road. I believe Warren Hance knew his sister was drunk when he spoke to her, and kept that information from the police for as long as he could, not ever conceiving of the horror that would occur. As far the the families not speaking, that was cemented when Danny Schuler sued the Hances for failing to properly maintain the Ford Minivan Diane was driving. I think I'd give my brother in law the silent treatment, too, no?

by Anonymousreply 20910/17/2014

I believe the lawsuit came in 2011, two years after the accident. They stopped talking immediately.

I seriously doubt her brother and sister in law was/are as irrational as Schuler. Given that, I find it hard to believe they woukd turn their mknor children over to the caree of a drunk forr aa few days. It seems to me that her brother's actions are more consistent with someone who doesnt know what the hell is going on and is trying to figure it out by calling the one person who might know where she is and what is happening.

Also, "Aunt Diane's" actions seem more consistent with someone who was busted. Not like someone whose secret was well known.

by Anonymousreply 21010/17/2014

It's a non story and a dishonest documentary.

by Anonymousreply 21110/17/2014

I also think Hance immediately caught the drift his sister was drunk, how could he not? (Many people have found themselves in a vehicle with someone fucked up - hopefully it happens in your youth and never again) Truthfully in a heartbeat I would have called the law, because the next thought would have been "Those are my Kids!!!" I agree he thought he could pick the kids up and save the embarassment factor. He waited and he was wrong. That he even spoke to Shuyler up til the lawsuit is nuts - my guess is that he felt complicit in using eroneous judgment and not calling the cops immediately.

AND she left her phone, hello, totally fits her character! He said "dont drive, I will be right there" she said " 'pfft' I dont want you bothering me, I'll get there fast and show you!" Lifelong arrogance of the woman. Terribly terribly sad. I cannot get over the horror those children endured.

by Anonymousreply 21210/17/2014

I don't know that they stopped speaking to Schuler immediately after the accident. Warren Hance gave the eulogy at his sister's funeral and kept quiet until the toxicology report came out. I was always under the impression, from everything I've read and heard, that the estrangement, albeit gaping chasm, between the families did not occur until Danny Schuler lawyered up and began his absurd Saint Diane crusade. I think I even remember Jackie Hance stating something like this in an interview. I might be wrong, but that' always the way I remember it.

by Anonymousreply 21310/17/2014

Or, R210, someone who'd been busted AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 21410/17/2014

Couple of things.

I can't believe taking a hair sample wouldn't be standard procedure during an autopsy. Right? Even if they don't plan to test for drugs, it seems like that a hair sample would be full of useful information that might come in handy. Particularly when you've got so many dead bodies in the car..

Also, I don't remember hearing that any type of pipe or one-hitter was found in the wreckage. So if Aunt Diane was smoking a joint in the car, wouldn't the kids have inhaled some of that? Wouldn't that show up in some sort of testing done on them?

(I am TERRIFIED if I am stoned and in the car with someone who drives too fast, or too aggressively, so I hope to god those kids didn't get a contact high....)

There are so many unanswered questions. Due to the success of the documentary, it seems we are ripe for an update, or even an expose about the factual omissions in the original.

I did watch the video linked in this thread with the full video at the convenience store. It seemed that they sat in the car, at the pump, FOREVER before Aunt Diane got out of the van. What was she doing in there? Blazing up a joint? Mixing a drink?

I wish those kids had tried to get out of the car, but maybe they were threatened or something.

They need to find Diane's pot supplier...although I'm sure the defense would counter that you can't rely on the statements of a drug dealer. They would be able to say how much pot she used, and what her patterns were.

I'm going to watch the documentary again, now that I've read everything everyone had to say here. It's very sad to watch, but the questions raised need to be answered.

(I lived on Lawn Guyland, too, and there is corruption EVERYWHERE. I'm not surprised people lie to cover up for themselves or for money, and still sleep like fat babies at night....)

by Anonymousreply 21510/17/2014

R213 here is a link to an August 2009 NYPost article about the split between the Hances and Schuler. It seems as if the Hances believe Schuler knew his wife had issues.

Again, I seriously doubt any rational person would turn their minor children over to the care of a substance abuser for a few days. I also doubt rational people would open themselves to the liability that comes with lending their vehicle to a known drunk.

by Anonymousreply 21610/17/2014

I think Diane knew she was busted by her brother so she said fuck it and kept driving. Danny is such a schmuck I would have had to self medicate myself too, but not when I had kids in the car obviously.

by Anonymousreply 21710/17/2014

Me too, R217. Hanging up the phone when her niece was trying to tell her family where they were, leaving the phone on the divider and exiting that roadway for another all seems like she was trying to evade her brother. I also think it was around here that she drank the alcohol found in her stomach that had not yet been absorbed.

by Anonymousreply 21810/17/2014

I found a news article from last July (2014) that says all lawsuits have been "dropped or quietly settled, with the terms sealed by a state judge".

That must mean cash changed hands, right?

by Anonymousreply 21910/17/2014

Both families seem odd. A little seedy. Like they're getting off on the post-accident fame. The ones I feel sorry for are the Bastardi family and Diane herself.

What she did was just about unforgivable but I can almost sympathize. Everything that everyone said they loved about her is what drove her to the accident/murder-suicide.

You always hear about people saying they've forgive something as horrible as Diane did but you always doubt them more then a little. The way the Bastardi sisters so quickly, and almost in passing, said they had forgive Diane had me believing them. They just couldn't forgive the family until they just admitted what had truly happened. That's all they wanted.

by Anonymousreply 22010/17/2014

I feel sorry for the Bastardi family and the dead children.

by Anonymousreply 22110/17/2014

Why did she sit so long in the van at that gas station and what were the kids doing?

by Anonymousreply 22210/17/2014

Well I didn't really know about this case that much until this thread. I actually just finished the documentary a few minutes ago. Read some stuff at work. That the press gave Danny such a soapbox for his shit is unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 22310/17/2014

[quote]There are two moments of insight in the whole documentary, both supplied unwittingly by the sister-in-law. Watch it again.

What were they?

by Anonymousreply 22410/17/2014

If she was truly trying to evade her brother, why would she drink more alcohol after the last call and why wouldn't she try to get rid of the evidence (empty vodka bottle)?

by Anonymousreply 22510/17/2014

Because she was already drunk by that point R225 and possibly suicidal.

She may not have been evading her brother in his physical form, but what she did with the phone and leaving the roadway with the markers that the child identified to her father made any effort to find her by a third party on behalf of her brother much more difficult. She had a drunken plan and was not going to let the police stop her.

The calls to 911 by other motorists did not begin until she hit the Taconic like a bat out of hell and going the wrong way. In her drive to the Taconic, she was just another car exiting the Thruway and heading to the Taconic.

Also, the kids description of Aunt Diane's behaviour is not something you would immediately associate with being drunk. She said that Aunt Diane was having trouble with her vision. Vision issues and slurred speech could be mistaken for a medical issue, particularly by someone who was not aware of her erratic driving before the last phone call. If we are to believe what is out there as fact, her scary driving was not communicated to the father by the child.

by Anonymousreply 22610/17/2014

R213 here. Yes, all the lawsuits were settled out if court. While I have no inclination to argue the minutiae of when the rift between the Schulers and the Hances actually occurred, I find it very telling that even though the Bastardi family was contacted by the Hances and given condolences, they still have not met, despite repeated requests by the Bastardis. I don't pretend to no the reasons for this, but it's intriguing just the same. The Bastardis have been nothing but consistent in their suspicion of the Hances. They believe they are not getting the full story from them. The Hances have rebuffed all attempts at meeting, according to the Bastardis. It seems more than strange, and more than just bitter grief that they would harbor anger and resentment at the others victims who arguably have been hurt even worse than they themselves. Strange that their common suffering reaps suspicion and avoidance, rather solidarity at the only other people who could truly empathize with them.

Oh, and please, no more links to the New Yor Post. We can all just make that shit up ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 22710/17/2014

Yes, yes 227. The Bastardi's, while understandably angry, seem to want the world to apologize and say that Diane has always been a drunk. I can understand their anger with the Schule side, but not Hance. There is no indication that the Hances knew Diane was a drunk. Do you not think the parents who lost three CHILDREN don't wish they did things a bit differently?

If you won't acept the Post, how about Newsday? Here is a link to the 911 call made from the Hances' home. 911 was all that helpful.

by Anonymousreply 22810/18/2014

And here's one from ABC news where the Bastardi's basically say they think everyone knew and should be prosecuted. Oh and not to get into minutiae, but the article also mentions a possible rift betweeen Hance and Schuler.

by Anonymousreply 22910/18/2014

R228, are you okay? Did someone hurt you? Of course the Hances wish they had acted differently, their girls are gone, There is no indication that the Hances knew Diane was a drunk, true. There is also no indication that they did not know she was a heavy drinker. The police investigation is peppered with both family members and coworkers who stated that not only did she drink, but vodka was her drink of choice. I don't think they ever imagined she would do what she did. Why not meet with the Bastardis, then? What are they avoiding? They were the ones who reached out first (the Hances). There are plenty of functional drunks out there. Do you think every drunk is drunk all of the time? Did Diane Schuler have to be a slurring incoherent mess all of the time to make her a danger? Do you know any big drinkers who can still hold down a responsible job and save their drinking for extracurricular hours? Many can, and do, but its not exactly a surprise when they get a DUI now, is it? Do you honestly think Diane's brothers never drank with her or her husband? Perhaps you're not familiar with the culture of Long Island.

Thanks for the Newsday link, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 23010/18/2014

Dude, seriously?... maybe the Bastardi's lawsuit filed on December 10, 2009 against the Hances put a damper on any meeting. The Bastardi's felt the Hances were not remorseful toward their loss and they felt the Hances knew Schuler drank. The Bastardi's are seriuously angry people.

Also, in her book Jackie Hance acknowledgs the rift between Hance and Schuler happened after the autopsy report and grew to estrangement following Schuler's press conference.

by Anonymousreply 23110/18/2014

I believe that Diane was likely a high-functioning alcoholic, but I don't think that her drinking was the cause of the disaster that day. What bothers me is the fact that Diane was a control freak, she was NEVER out of control. Ever. Except for that day...or WAS she? I don't think so. I think that Diane was "legally drunk" but she knew exactly what she was doing. She was, as usual, in total control. Yes, she probably drank more than her usual amount that day, but that was to numb up and get up the nerve to carry out her plan. Witnesses that saw her on the Taconic even stated that although she was driving very fast going the wrong way, her movements on the highway were purposeful, not out of control zig-zaggin everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 23210/18/2014

Yeah the firm grip on the steering wheel is curious, not implausible. Hard to say suicide and another woman has never come forward to say that she and Baby Danny had a thing going on.

I would like to know how plausible it was for her to have such control of the vehicle at that level of toxicity.

Consider too that she realized that she had entered on the WRONG ramp, and erroneously decided to speed OFF that parkway asap.

We will never know. But we dont want to be "moving the goal posts" like the crazies. She was drunk and high. The kids were terrorized. That is too much for me.

by Anonymousreply 23310/18/2014

There are a lot of people here making sweeping statements about what they would do in the same circumstances. Like they would immediately know what to do if someone they knew and loved called them and sounded a bit out of it or strange. Like they would immediately know that their own sister was drunk and high and was going to crash her car and kill everyone on board.

You are speaking with the benefit of hindsight. You would have no idea what was going on and you wouldn't immediately jump on the phone to the cops. Like everyone involved you would flail around not knowing what to do. You wouldn't want to think the very worst, you would run through a million scenarios to try and explain what you heard. Because that is what families do when they are confronted with evidence that something awful might be happening to the people they love. They will try and deny it or be so freaked out that anything they do will be ineffectual and panicked.

This is just the sad case of a functional alcoholic/addict who badly miscalculated her tolerance one day with disastrous consequences. The only thing interesting about is the sad refusal of her husband to face facts and realise that his wife was responsible for what happened.

There are no grand conspiracies here. Just a bunch of pathetic maladjusted people and the pain that they have caused with their inability to deal with reality.

by Anonymousreply 23410/18/2014

This is a case that makes me wonder, If people knew she was a drunk, why would they trust their kids with her?

None of it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 23510/18/2014

Completely agree R234.

by Anonymousreply 23610/18/2014

[quote]The Bastardis have been nothing but consistent in their suspicion of the Hances. They believe they are not getting the full story from them. The Hances have rebuffed all attempts at meeting, according to the Bastardis.

That the Hances don't want to meet the Bastardis doesn't seem weird to me at all.

They lost their children. Now people who are suspicious of them, and want to blame them for their own childrens' deaths as well as the deaths of everyone else that day, want to meet with them? Hell no. Any decent lawyer would tell the Hances not to meet with the Bastardis.

Besides, even if the Hances knew Diane was a drinker and just kept quiet about it to keep peace within the family, it's still Diane's fault.

by Anonymousreply 23710/18/2014

There's a vast difference between hearing that the driver of the car with your three girls in it is out of it or strange, or "slurring her words and having trouble seeing" which is what Warren Hance told the police in his only interview with them. He received more than one call where he had an opportunity to be proactive, and he did not. He will have to live with this the rest of his life, but so will the Bastardis. His wife never spoke to the police about her conversation with Diane to this day and refused to speak to them. This was a homicide investigation. Their girls were murdered by their sister and sister in law, yet they refused to answer any questions or ask any questions of the police about their investigation. Seems a little strange. Most people would be hounding the police for information. Warren Hance hired an attorney the day the toxicology report came out and kept quiet.

Not a grand conspiracy, just a very odd reaction for a father whose drunk sister took everything from him. Of course, perhaps he had no questions.

by Anonymousreply 23810/18/2014

If your children were killed in this way, and you knew nothing about your sister's propensity for booze, wouldn't you demand answers from your sleazy brother in law about what he knew and when he knew it? I don't think I would ever rest. How could he not be filled with rage and demand answers, from Schuler or the police?

by Anonymousreply 23910/18/2014

Again R238 you are speaking with the benefit of hindsight. How would he know that his children were about to die?

You will make all sorts of excuses for the people that you love. Many people also have strong powers of denial when it comes to those that they love. Just look at Diane's husband. He is coming up with all sorts of bullshit explanations to try and hide from the facts.

And the family that don't want to speak to the police. Again, is it covering up or just plain guilt? Diane's drinking may very well have been one of those taboo family subjects. Everyone knew but no one wanted to rock the family boat and make people face the facts.

Considering how far some of this family will go to not face the facts then I am not surprised that it wasn't spoken about.

by Anonymousreply 24010/18/2014

If she had been a long term alcoholic would there have been enough damage to her organs for it to have been noted on her autopsy report?

by Anonymousreply 24110/18/2014

R237, the Hances offered ro meet with the Bastardis. The overture was made through Hances' lawyer. Less than 5-months after the accident and 15 days before Christmas, the Badtardi's sued Hance. It's more than likely Bastardi's lawsiut put a crimp in any merting plan.

One of the Longos (a Longo was also killed in the Bastardi car) when asked if their family would also sue Hance responded with something along the lines of...he found it distastful to sue Hance so close to Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 24210/18/2014

[quote]If she had been a long term alcoholic would there have been enough damage to her organs for it to have been noted on her autopsy report?

I was wondering that myself. Her liver was fine both grossly and microscopically, which struck me as odd for both an alkie and a woman who was so obese.

Then again, I was surprised to learn she was only 36.

by Anonymousreply 24310/18/2014

The Hances are 100% right not to meet the Bastardis. The Bastardis want to be accusatory towards the Hances, who lost their children. Why meet someone who wants to blame you for the loss of their relatives and the loss of your own children?

Suck it up, Bastardis. Diane Schuler killed everyone including herself. It's over. Your family had the misfortune to be killed in a car accident and not on 9/11, so no big payday for you.

by Anonymousreply 24410/18/2014

R242, Where are you getting your information? I know the Hances reached out and offered their condolences, but I never heard they offered to meet or even speak or correspond in any way with the Bastardis. In fact, the book the Bastardis wrote reiterats their frustration with the Hances for this reason. Perhaps they are mistaken.

by Anonymousreply 24510/18/2014

To add to what R240 said, IIRC, Diane called Jackie Hance around 11:30 am to say they were running late. Apparently, she sounded normal during this call. My question is, did something transpire on this call that sent Diane into a rage? Did Jackie Hance get mad at Diane because one of the kids had play practice thst day?

by Anonymousreply 24610/18/2014

[quote]He received more than one call where he had an opportunity to be proactive, and he did not. He will have to live with this the rest of his life, but so will the Bastardis. His wife never spoke to the police about her conversation with Diane to this day and refused to speak to them. This was a homicide investigation. Their girls were murdered by their sister and sister in law, yet they refused to answer any questions or ask any questions of the police about their investigation. Seems a little strange. Most people would be hounding the police for information. Warren Hance hired an attorney the day the toxicology report came out and kept quiet.

Those are major red flags. What is sister in law hiding and why hire an attorney so fast. Something is definitely up.

by Anonymousreply 24710/18/2014

It takes some time for alcoholic liver damage to be seen.

The liver is an amazing organ and can regenerate itself. You have to try pretty hard to harm it. Alcoholic cirrhosis only starts with multiple repeated insults destroying the liver. Even then it doesn't die but rather is replaced by scar tissue.

Usually you are looking at a decade or more of alcohol abuse before it starts. The fact that the liver was normal isn't evidence of anything.

Other drugs (like paracetamol overdose) can kill it quicker however, if left untreated.

by Anonymousreply 24810/18/2014

So if the brother gave the eulogy at Diane's funeral and only hired a lawyer after the toxicology report came out, wouldn't that be evidence that they didn't know for sure that she was drunk?

Can you imagine how pissed you'd be as a first responder to walk up to the wreckage and all those dead people and see a vodka bottle roll out from the front seat when opening the door?

by Anonymousreply 24910/18/2014

Why weren't the kids as busted up as Diane?

In Jackie Hance's book, she mentions that when she viewed her girls' bodies at the funeral home, she thought they looked beautiful and normal. She stated that she did not see any bruises or cuts on them and looking at them, you would never have thought they were in such a horrible crash. She didn't understand how they could have died, because they looked so peaceful and serene. She was in shock and someone had to gently explain that they suffered from internal injuries.

In the documentary, one of the 911 callers (a female) calls to report the crash. The dispatcher asks her if there are any survivors or if anyone's hurt. The lady says the crash looks "horrific," but then when she peers inside the wreckage she says that there are kids inside but they're not moving, so she's not sure. If they were severely injured or a bloody mess, I think her reaction would've been more of panic and terror. But she was very matter-of-fact.

by Anonymousreply 25010/18/2014

"So if the brother gave the eulogy at Diane's funeral and only hired a lawyer after the toxicology report came out, wouldn't that be evidence that they didn't know for sure that she was drunk?"

Possibly. But I think that deep down the brother & wife suspected Diane's accident wasn't exactly an accident, but they were in denial and couldn't face it.

I think that Diane had an argument with her brother and/or his wife regarding their (Diane & brother's) mother, she was likely going to be at the play or something like that and it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

by Anonymousreply 25110/18/2014

I'm convinced it was murder/suicide. She had enough and she had everything in the car with her to punish everyone she wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 25210/18/2014

Actually the firm grip on the wheel and purposeful driving is another indication of a drunk. I've driven with a buzz, very carefully, looking and deliberately keeping within a certain lane and gripping the wheel.

by Anonymousreply 25310/18/2014

R245, Bastardi's lawyer publicly acknowledged Hances' overture. Here's a link to a Newsday article.

Also, at least through December 2009 the Hances cooperated, or were willing to cooperate, with the police investigation.

With respect to the investigation, you need to keep three things in mind... 1) the police investigation ended fairly quickly since the person who caused the crash was dead; 2) after the investigation was closed, the Bastardi's called for a special prosecutor to investigate Hance and Schuler. I believe this was declined, which probably led to 3) the Bastardi lawsuit in December in 2009 probably put an end to any Hance cooperation.

by Anonymousreply 25410/18/2014

R253 Were you flying at over 70 mph going the WRONG WAY on a busy highway as well? With a car full of kids?

by Anonymousreply 25510/18/2014

Why can't we watch this movie for free, on youtube?

by Anonymousreply 25610/18/2014

Another thing I don't get is why everyone was so dismissive of her feelings of not wanting anything to do with her mother. Calling it a "grudge" like it was her fault or she played a role in her mother leaving. That would have pissed me off. "I've spent my whole life taking care of all of you and your kids and you're choosing her? . . . ." That would have been my thought.

by Anonymousreply 25710/18/2014

R250, I think Diane took off her seatbelt (which is why she rolled out of the car at the accident scene and which sounds more to me like suicide). I believe the children had atlanto-occipital dislocation and were all still strapped into their car seats and seat belts.

by Anonymousreply 25810/18/2014

You can, R256.

by Anonymousreply 25910/18/2014

I'm rewatching the documentary and in all of the pictures of Diane meeting Danny, there is alcohol in every picture somewhere. They're either holding a bottle or glass or there are beer bottles or boxes in the background.

by Anonymousreply 26010/18/2014

I agree, R257. Whatever happened with Diane, whether she was a closet alcoholic or this was an elaborate suicide, there has got to be a LOT of guilt in that family. They're in denial, but deep down, they know they contributed to it, whether by taking advantage of her or not paying attention to her needs or enabling her addictions, they were all part of the reason things escalated.

I'm sure the Bastardis realize this, but this isn't something you can really quantify in a court of law. That lawsuit was misguided.

by Anonymousreply 26110/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!