Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tom Cruise is a scary empty vessel

After seeing him make the talk show rounds this week on Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon, it is obvious he is just an empty vessel with no personality of his own at all. It's scary. External forces are obviously controlling him. He is so fake and doesn't act like a human.

He came out on Jimmy Fallon and just stood there for a minute listening to the clapping. It was like he was a little child who got distracted.

by Anonymousreply 15304/17/2013

Even sadder, I got the distinct feeling he is just so lost. It's as if he wants to feel something--he just can't.

by Anonymousreply 104/13/2013

I predict he goes the Howard Hughes route and becomes a scary, paranoid recluse.

by Anonymousreply 204/13/2013

Wasn't he just on Fallon a few months ago promoting some movie? Does he have ANOTHER movie coming out? Why does he have so many movies in such a short span of time?

by Anonymousreply 304/13/2013

Um, Cruise is like exhibit A for textbook psychopath. That's why he doesn't seem like a real person.

by Anonymousreply 404/13/2013

He's vile.

by Anonymousreply 504/13/2013

He was last on Fallon touting "Jack Reacher" and they had the water cannon fight.

by Anonymousreply 604/13/2013

This is your brain on xenuphetamine

by Anonymousreply 704/13/2013

He just doesn't know how to act natural.

by Anonymousreply 804/13/2013

He needs to be in therapy five days a week. Just my guess.

by Anonymousreply 904/13/2013

He's obviously emotionally disturbed. At this point, I'd even say psychotic. Plus, didn't he grow up with learning disabilities? My guess is that he was functionally illiterate until early adulthood. He's a tragic guy, and I feel bad for him. Actors like Cruise don't have anything inside of them, it's not really their fault. Of course, he should be in jail for his collusion with the suicide of queer teens - because Cruise's anti-homophobic self-shame spills out of him, and he signals to queer teens that in order to be a success at anything, you have to hide. And not everyone has enough money to do that. And some of them end up dead. Cruise is a villain, he needs to come out and atone. Preferably as a guest start on GIRLS! Maybe Lena Dunham can talk him into it.

by Anonymousreply 1104/13/2013

I saw part of his performance on Jimmy Kimmel and tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but it was pretty awful, he just kept patting himself on the back. I turned him off, then after Jimmy Fallon kissed his ass so royally, introducing him, I just couldn't take it and turned him off. I think his film is Oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 1204/13/2013

Tom Cruise is like Mitt Romney: Completely detached from people outside his inner circle.

I don't know if Tom Cruise lives and breathes Scientology or if control issues keep him from functioning like a relaxed, nice and humble human being, but the disconnect to people outside his comfort zone is pretty uncomfortable (or entertaining) to watch. It's like Oprah being kind of lost when pumping gas or Gwyneth Paltrow sharing her wit and wisdom with us commoners.

by Anonymousreply 1304/13/2013

Speaking of Tom and homophobia and the effect it might have on gay teens. What would you say if your son was getting a graduation gift for his 8th grade graduation and he said he wanted to go to NY and see a show? Is that what most wealthy, 8th grade boys request?

by Anonymousreply 1404/13/2013

r14, that's what I wanted in the 8th grade. What's your question? It's confusing.

by Anonymousreply 1504/13/2013

"I predict he goes the Howard Hughes route..."

Fingernails as twisted as his psyche.

by Anonymousreply 1604/13/2013

Ugh, what's with the long ass moniker, swf...

by Anonymousreply 1704/13/2013

Anybody who joins a cult is obviously a mental patient with a host of issues. Whatever emotions or feelings he may have had have obviously been programmed out of him.

I didn't follow his career in the 80's so not sure if he was always like this (cold, detached).

He's a lost cause.

by Anonymousreply 1804/13/2013

Stay the course.

by Anonymousreply 1904/13/2013

I don't understand how someone so short was cast in so many movies as the Heartthrob.

by Anonymousreply 2004/13/2013

You have to admit though he looks fantastic for a guy about to turn 50.

by Anonymousreply 2104/13/2013

Pat Kingsley made sure he had a boy next door public image and crushed everybody's balls who even thought to publish anything else. When Tom Cruise fired her his public image crashed down in flames. The internet and ageing didn't help him either.

by Anonymousreply 2204/13/2013

Tom Cruise is always so creepy on the interview circuit. He is probably one of the most-interviewed people in human history, yet he stills seems incredibly awkward and unnatural answering even the most mundane of questions. His body language just screams "I'm lying and want to get this over with". Nothing he says ever seems to be the truth.

I've noticed this weirdness many years, although I don't know if stretches back his whole career, or if it is a byproduct of his Scieno involvement (not that all Scieno celebrities are like that).

Hard to know who is using who (who is using whom?) when it comes to Tom Cruise and Scientology. My guess is that he is a true believer in the cause, because he is a walking empire all by himself and doesn't need them for his career. For that matter, he is enormously wealthy enough to never have to work again.

TC is too high profile for me to think there could ever be any serious retaliation were he to break away. I'm guessing he stays because he absolutely wants to.

by Anonymousreply 2304/13/2013

One of my favorite things this spring is the one-sheet of his movie that says simply: "Tom Cruise. Oblivion."

by Anonymousreply 2404/13/2013

Tom Cruise has his phony smile on display way too much. Tom Cruise is a creepy douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 2504/13/2013

If he had a cool bone in his body, he'd work with David Lynch. That combo of guy next door/barely contained madman could really pay off

by Anonymousreply 2604/13/2013

Yes, he is a psychopath, but he does look amazing for his age. He has had fabulous work done, and he has stayed clean for years, unlike many of his other counterparts in Hollywood. He clearly has mental issues, so it is hard for me to hate on him.

by Anonymousreply 2704/13/2013

The Romney comparison is apt because Romney is also likely a psychopath.

The whole "trying to seem human thing but not quite getting there."

Cruise's courtship and marriage to Katie Holmes as detailed in Vanity Fair was out of the Psychopath Manual.

Some of you really need to start reading up on psychopaths. They're not just the people you read about in crime novels. They are everywhere, and many of them are very, very successful.

by Anonymousreply 2804/13/2013

Why did Katie Holmes marry him? It all seemed so contrived and cringeworthy. I don't even think Cruise is gay; I just think he's repulsive. Couldn't Holmes see through insincere marriage facade that Cruise seems to have done at the time to boost his image only.

by Anonymousreply 2904/13/2013

After watching a few interviews, my diagnosis may be different. I get that the entire thing is an act, and he is really trying hard to seem normal, but perhaps he has Aspbergers, or something on that spectrum? He is socially inept, and is clearly trying to overcompensate for that by smiling big and being overfriendly. Psychopaths are unable to love or develop relationships, and we don't know that this is the case with him.

by Anonymousreply 3004/13/2013

You must know she did it for the money (she was pregnant but not with Tom's baby). Tom bought the whole package and probably paid big bucks. It was all extremely obvious.

The thing is, people are getting a little smarter about Hollywood. Sometimes they can see the lie.

by Anonymousreply 3104/13/2013

He seemed like someone who is always on the defensive, all ways on his guard. Very uptight, very wary, and never able to relax.

I believe there's a part of his brain that is finally realizing that all the stuff he's been practicing to achieve that top level of happoness or WTF ever they call it in Scientology has failed him. He seems like he is very troubled. He's backed himself into a corner and there's no way out. No way out.

It's like when Kimmel was talking about how he spent so much time signing autographs and he said "I love it. It was great!" I got the impression that even in a private conversation he'd day the same things.

Never admit that sometimes you're tired, or irritable, or that fans are a pain in the ass. If anyone suggested that, he'd give a sermon about how lucky he is to have a wonderful life and it's the least he can do.

I mean, yeah, but do you have to be Mr. Perfectionist all the time? He comes across as so sure and certain and he knows everything, and I think underneath that facade he is a wreck, a basket case. He has suppressed every human emotion and twisted it to fit the idealized bullshit of S cientology.

by Anonymousreply 3204/13/2013

Exactly, R32. When you are constantly phony, it seems sad.

by Anonymousreply 3304/13/2013

"I think his film is Oblivion."

That bad, eh?

by Anonymousreply 3404/13/2013

Tom Cruise is now dating his Oblivion co-star who is also a supermodel. He is ecstatic and in love.

by Anonymousreply 3504/13/2013

Most celebrities are, OP. Are you just realizing that?

by Anonymousreply 3604/13/2013

He's in love? Did he buy her too?

by Anonymousreply 3704/13/2013

I don't buy into the whole "empty psychopath" thing. I believe he's definitely a narcissist and a huge liar. He seems fake and disingenuous because he's a closeted gay man and he can't let people know the truth (literally). He has a lot riding on him (Hollywood and Scientology) and that would be enough to make anyone a little crazy.

by Anonymousreply 3804/13/2013

Staying in the closet for a lifetime makes a person crazy. From Tom Cruise to my boss, no matter how normal they try to act, they're screwed up beyond repair psychologically. And at this late stage in their lives, there's no way out of the closet. Well, there is, but they'll never ever allow themselves.

It's a hellish existence of them being lost in their own heads, always smiling except when they're scheming or planning or flying off the handle to make everything perfect so no one will ever discover their secret.

They are living the adult version of the old book, "The Best Little Boy in the World."

by Anonymousreply 3904/13/2013

He's welcome to his privileged hell. Happily, I can avoid his movies and his dead, flat eyes. But I do wish $cientology would be called out legally for what it is and taxed properly.

by Anonymousreply 4004/13/2013

"Tom Cruise is a scary empty vessel."

Mr. Cruise is actually very much like our own empty cruise vessels. They've lost power, gotten stuck and are deeply shitty.

by Anonymousreply 4104/14/2013

I think it was a promo for one of the entertainment shows (ET/Access Hollywood - they're not actually "entertaining", just suck jobs and long promos) anyway, they were saying that "Tom Cruise is finally ready to give his side of the divorce from Katie Holmes".

Yes. Enough time has passed and he has healed enough to talk about it - it was so obvious it was just another angle for him to promote his new movie.

He really is soulless.

by Anonymousreply 4204/14/2013

I've been at a few industry events with him. Met him a few times. He's almost insanely nice. But completely detached. It's really, really Stepford-y. I've met tons of A listers, and have never, ever met someone who emits such strange energy or whatever. It's not so much a narcissist energy (see Will Smith) or not-so-bright but earnest energy (see Brad Pitt) or I'm-in-the-joke energy (Clooney, Depp) or even I'm-a-bad-person energy (Sean Penn). It's a vacuum energy. Dead eyes is the best, apt description whether he's on Fallon or standing next to you.

by Anonymousreply 4304/14/2013

[quote]Tom Cruise is like Mitt Romney: Completely detached from people outside his inner circle.

If you put a lot of CEOs on a chat show they'd come off in the same way. They're surrounded by yes men and have coasted for years on not doing anything and just agreeing with the status quo. Cruise is a multi-million dollar corporation unto himself.

by Anonymousreply 4404/14/2013

Wow, thanks for that bit, R43. It does ring very true of Cruise.

There is some heavy mental damage there.

by Anonymousreply 4504/14/2013

I *love* R45.

by Anonymousreply 4604/14/2013

Oblivion is doing giant box office overseas. Tom is a huge film star, but seems incredibly lonely and detached. He is so messed up from Scientology that I think most interviews are probably painful for him. Nicole is box office poison but seems happier than ever. They are polar opposites.

by Anonymousreply 4704/14/2013

Scientology auditing places people way too much into their own minds. Auditing over many years creates either a zombie-like flat numbness or a Woody Allen affect. When he was young, he was free but forgot this. Now freedom is just a word to be picked at and mulled over and over by an increasingly obsessive and shattered mind.

He should've chosen monkhood. It was the kinder path.

by Anonymousreply 4804/14/2013

Wait, it opened up overseas BEFORE the US?? How is this possible? We're always first. Why are we getting the leftovers now?

by Anonymousreply 4904/14/2013

[quote]Why are we getting the leftovers now?

Since global box office has been increasing and domestic decreasing.

by Anonymousreply 5004/14/2013

Tom and Nicole have the same PR firm.

by Anonymousreply 5104/14/2013

"I don't even think Cruise is gay;"

I agree, I never thought of Tom Cruise as being a sexual being at all. He's always seemed asexual, not not, not str8, nothing. I get no sexual vibe from him whatsoever.

I always got the impression, that if you pulled down his pants, he'd have Ken doll sexual parts!

by Anonymousreply 5204/14/2013

Tom was a gay hustler in New York. He also is rumored to like Asian men and to be violent. I don't think sex is a priority for him, but it is a misread to think he is not sexual. Never with women, of course. I don't think for one second he had sex with any of his beards, including Cher.

by Anonymousreply 5304/14/2013

So enough idiots went to see his movies and he became one of the biggest HW stars ever. This is something I will never understand. He was always scary crazy, even before he became involved with Co$. Who was stupid enough to see him in movies? The guy is mentally disturbed and retarded and one of the worst actors ever.

by Anonymousreply 5404/14/2013

Those two raw eggs on his head were karma. Why didn't his special human powers help him?

by Anonymousreply 5504/14/2013

Don't use the R-word, R54. Ugh, why must that word exist?

by Anonymousreply 5604/14/2013

"Um, Cruise is like exhibit A for textbook psychopath. "

IMHO he's a better fit for Narcissistic Personality Disorder, especially the grandiosity, lack of empathy, and inner emptiness that must be filled by constant admiration.

Of course, he could have both conditions, and be on the autism spectrum as well.

by Anonymousreply 5804/14/2013

[R17] As Popeye said, I yam what I yam.

If you don't care for my "moniker" keep it moving and don't read my posts. Deal?

by Anonymousreply 5904/14/2013

I'm going to tell (another) story. In the 90's, I was good friend with a fitness model, we're talking about a chick who had "You'll never make love in this town again" on her bedside table. She told me that Tom wasn't gay and was very much in love with his wife, Nicole. She also told me that John Travolta was not only gay, but totally into little kids. It shattered me.

by Anonymousreply 6004/14/2013

[R60] I know you said "take that as you will", but I am inferring from your cryptic handle that you may not mean HIS KIDS.

I have never heard anything even close to that.

by Anonymousreply 6104/14/2013

I've been thinking for long time that he's gay. Most of time he seems completely asexual to me. It's obvious that he can't feel anything so I don't know how he could ever have sex with anybody, even just fucking.

Reading this thread, another idea popped in my mind. He might not be gay/or strictly gay but he might now be straight either. Maybe he's just the kind of person that uses sex as a means to an end, not because he cares about people or feelings or connection but just because it got him what he wanted most (success, money, power)?

Still, if I had to bet on it, some homosexual tendencies (whether full gay or bi) have to be at the heart of what motivates him and made him the way he is.

What a fucking mess.

by Anonymousreply 6204/14/2013

I completely agree with R52 and especially love the Ken doll anatomical description. Perfect.

by Anonymousreply 6304/14/2013

He may be deep into the robotic now, but there's the possibility he was less so when younger.

After the strongly-rumoured liaison with Newman on 'Color of Money' Cruise was supposedly invested, and very keen to continue. For Newman it was just location fun, and adios. (Intriguing Daddy vibe there for TC.)

The Katie arc of course goes from couch-jumping to TC's 'tragi-comic' break-up. Ludicrous from A to Z, but it gives Cruise the chance to act badly the baffled bereft male, throwing himself into work. The mystery now is who he thinks believes him.

by Anonymousreply 6404/14/2013

He can't believe his fifteen minutes of fame are over.

by Anonymousreply 6504/14/2013

I think people are way too cynical to "believe" in Holywood stars. They're all so fucked up. Rich, maybe, but too fucked up to envy. Tom Cruise is the avatar of this kind of revelation, that what the public sees is totally fake. We need a recurrence of talented, recluse stars, who are experts at hiding out, but are exactly who and what they say they are.

by Anonymousreply 6604/14/2013

[quote]He can't believe his fifteen minutes of fame are over.

Not a Cruise fan at all, but that is plain stupid, or else the longest fifteen minutes in the history of Cinema. I don't think there has ever been a star - male or female - with such long holding power as TC, both with fans and in the Box Office.

So he's come undone in the last few years, but you can't deny his stardom, aggressively protected by the alternative reality that he's built for himself and refuses to abandon.

I think I've seen two of his movies (Rainman and A Very Few Good Men) thanks mostly to the drawing power of his costars in both. But I'm in the minority. You can't argue with thirty years of continued success at the box office, with the very rare flop (Eyes Wide Shut) here and there.

by Anonymousreply 6704/14/2013

OP, should watch American Psycho, Christian Bale based his performance on Tom Cruise, it's scary how much he looks like him sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 6804/14/2013

That's right R11. He channels his misogyny into killing queer teens.

by Anonymousreply 6904/14/2013

[quote]We need a recurrence of talented, recluse stars, who are expert at hiding out, but are exactly who and what they say they are.

This has worked out quite well for me.

by Anonymousreply 7004/14/2013

[quote]you can't deny his stardom,

Of course they'll deny his stardom. They'll claim that nobody is going to Cruise movies anymore. It's the same ones who will tell you that Target is going out of business and Chick-Fil-A is shutting down due to their support of homophobic groups.

by Anonymousreply 7104/14/2013

Tom Cruise comes off like a robot. But, he is a $cientologist. Maybe Tom really is an alien from Outer Space!

by Anonymousreply 7204/14/2013

[quote]He just doesn't know how to act natural.

by Anonymousreply 7304/14/2013

[quote]I don't buy into the whole "empty psychopath" thing. I believe he's definitely a narcissist and a huge liar.

Psychopathy is akin to late stage narcissism, R38. Look at it in stages:

Level 4: Highly concerned with their performance, doing their job well, constantly driving self to achieve goals as if self-worth depends on it. Terrified of failure. Compare self with others in search for status and success. Become careerists, social climbers, invested in exclusivity and being the "best."

Level 5: Become image-conscious, highly concerned with how they are perceived. Begin to package themselves according to the expectations of others and what they need to do to be successful. Pragmatic and efficient, but also premeditated, losing touch with their own feelings beneath a smooth facade. Problems with intimacy, credibility, and "phoniness" emerge.

Level 6: Want to impress others with their superiority: constantly promoting themselves, making themselves sound better than they really are. Narcissistic, with grandiose, inflated notions about themselves and their talents. Exhibitionistic and seductive, as if saying "Look at me!" Arrogance and contempt for others is a defense against feeling jealous of others and their success.

Unhealthy Levels Level 7: Fearing failure and humiliation, they can be exploitative and opportunistic, covetous of the success of others, and willing to do "whatever it takes" to preserve the illusion of their superiority.

Level 8: Devious and deceptive so that their mistakes and wrongdoings will not be exposed. Untrustworthy, maliciously betraying or sabotaging people to triumph over them. Delusionally jealous of others

Level 9: Become vindictive, attempting to ruin others' happiness. Relentless, obsessive about destroying whatever reminds them of their own shortcomings and failures. Psychopathic, murder. Generally corresponds to the Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

by Anonymousreply 7404/14/2013

R66, you mean we need stars like Rock Hudson?

by Anonymousreply 7504/14/2013

r74, now you left me wanting to know the first three levels.

by Anonymousreply 7604/14/2013

r60 I have a friend that worked with Tom twice during the Nicole years. She did say that he talked about Nick all the time during down moments from shooting. They stayed in frequent contact throughout the day on the phone. He was always praising her and telling stories about her.

by Anonymousreply 7704/14/2013

R76 - read the last part. Again.

by Anonymousreply 7804/14/2013

78 here. I meant R75

by Anonymousreply 7904/14/2013

74 Narcissistic Personality Disorder does not generally include that type of level 9 behavior unless you are meaning psychopathic narcissists? I have known several narcissists in my life, my father is one so I have unfortunately been drawn to and been in relationships with several. They never exhibited anything as dark as level 9.

by Anonymousreply 8004/14/2013

R60, I think we've all seen the photographic evidence that Travolta is into old, unattractive guys. Unless it's all an elaborate and embarrassing scheme to throw us off.

by Anonymousreply 8104/14/2013

R74, don't fight so hard for your diagnosis. Narcissistic and antisocial personality disorders are so similar, many mental health experts think they should be combined. Psychology is a wonderful science but it is fluid and inexact. It is more accurate to say he has a PD with antisocial and narcissistic traits.

Also, mental health professionals do not use the word "psychopath." That's more of a criminal justice word.

It is really hard to give Tom Cruise an accurate diagnosis based on his public persona. And don't even try to think that any poster in this thread knows what he is really like. R43 hs the best information about him but TC was still playing a role in those interactions.

We can infer things based on the info we have from his divorces, his flat affect, his couch-jumping, etc. But there could be more than one explanation for those behaviors. Does he have a PD or is he acting in a way that he has been told he must act? And he's just really bad at pulling it off? I have no doubt there's some pathology there. But who knows what it really is? And I don't believe he was always like this. It seems that the deeper he got with Scientology, the weirder he became. And as a cult leader, he is definitely dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 8204/14/2013

The clams are all over the Jimmy Fallon/Cruise article over on Radar. Any criticism of their messiah brings them out of the woodwork.

by Anonymousreply 8304/14/2013

I actually thought he was more human here than in other appearances. You have to remember that he's dim.

by Anonymousreply 8404/14/2013

He's aware of the tabloid gossip about Scientology, and has been for years. Plz consider that he lives in a very protected bubble. He's public for a few weeks to promote a movie, other than that, we see contrived photo ops.

The Katie Divorce, like the Nicole divorce, were intrusions into his private world. He has a sterile image as husband, father, movie star he's projected for decades, and the tabloids have been tearing at it for decades.

So, he insulates and isolates and when he goes out in public to do publicity for his movies, and give interviews, it's very strict, very structured, liimted exposure.

He comes across as stiff and wary, because he is not accustomed, day to day, to being out in public, and he's waiting for that tabloid zinger you were forbidden from asking him. He's awkward, because he's out of his comfort zone.

I thinkt he never considered that his very private world, and that of Miscavage and Scientology would get all this negative exposure. He never dreamed his own role,or his place in that firmament would ever be made public. But it has.

The negatives from that exposure have impacted his careeer. I've even read he was sat down and given a serious talking to. There was a huge amount of $$$ invested in his films. Especially the movie that came out around the time of Katie dropping the bomb.

He had to chose. Go after Katie, go after the tabloids, go public and mount a defense of Scientology, or make movies and tone down the Scientology.

He chose movies. But contrary to what we might think, Scientology owns his ass, and all his millions mean nothing because Scientology treats him like their cash cow. So Scientology had no problem with him chosing his movies and toning down his personal beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 8504/14/2013

I wonder if he uses the international press junkets to promote CO$ to foreign leaders. Tom Cruise in China seems scary. He banned US, Life & Style and The Hollywood Reporter from the American Oblivion premiere.

by Anonymousreply 8604/14/2013

[quote]He has a sterile image

He is also rumoured to be sterile.

by Anonymousreply 8704/14/2013

I can't stand him, but I don't think he was (or needed to be) a hustler; he's been working nonstop as an actor since his teens. He wouldn't have needed the money.

by Anonymousreply 8804/14/2013

He's not dim. That's why the armchair diagnoses don't seem to work. He wouldn't be so rich if he were as crazy and dumb as you all say. Miscavaige or others would have wrested it all away from him by now. I think he and Miscavaige are conspiring together and that he views himself not as an actor but as the public face of a religion with millions of members and that to him this is the proof that he is superior to mere mortals. He doesn't like and may even fear open gays for having more guts than he did, but he believes he's hoodwinked millions and the rest of us don't really matter. Meanwhile cash opportunities pop up at every turn. He's suing the tabloids over something else now.

by Anonymousreply 8904/14/2013

Cruise won't from local theater (musical revivals) to big budget movies overnight. I think Geffen groomed him from hooker to it boy.

by Anonymousreply 9004/14/2013

His shoes are like platform shoes disguised to look like regular men's shoes. He's self-conscious about his lack of height and is usually walking on his toes inside those custom built height extensions.

by Anonymousreply 9104/14/2013

Tom Cruise used to hitchhike with prostitutes. The now multi-millionaire actor used to hitch rides with the men picking up sex workers outside New York's Holland Tunnel when he was a struggling actor.

Cruise - who celebrated the birth of his first child with fiancée Katie Holmes last week - revealed to Sunday Times newspaper: "There were prostitutes, who used to be around the tunnel, who knew me. They'd see me and they'd go, 'Look, I'll pick up a john and you jump in'. So I'd ride through the tunnel to New Jersey.

"The driver's a little like, 'What's this guy doing in the back seat?' But he saw I'm just this 18-year-old kid. I didn't look dangerous.

"And they didn't do anything sexual in front of me. I'd get out in New Jersey and say, 'Thank you very much'. Then I'd hitchhike home."

by Anonymousreply 9204/14/2013

They're called lifts, r91 and we don't appreciate you accusing us of heightening..

by Anonymousreply 9304/14/2013

I can't believe all the xenuphobia on this site.

by Anonymousreply 9404/14/2013

I plugged his ass!

by Anonymousreply 9504/14/2013

I wonder if he masturbates like normal people.

by Anonymousreply 9704/14/2013

He masturbates better than normal people. He masturbates at OT7.

by Anonymousreply 9804/14/2013

I thought he was sterile from contracting syphillis when he was a male hustler? Is that impolite to say?

by Anonymousreply 9904/14/2013

I bet the main reason he is constantly working is because he is a cash cow for Co$. They want him to keep doing movies until he is over.

by Anonymousreply 10004/14/2013

I wish he would stop it with the leading man/action hero roles. He's 50, it's getting embarrassing, although he does look amazing.

I think he would do well as a character actor in small, interesting films, sort of like he did in Magnolia. However, like some have said on this thread, he's probably too much of a narcissist to (willingly) let go of his leading man persona.

by Anonymousreply 10104/14/2013

Didn't someone recently write that Cruise and Miscavige now believe that they are supreme beings? I don't know what Tammy's responsibilities are regarding Scientology, but I imagine it's to make/donate money and lobby/be the public face of the church. I wonder if he ever dreams of being the new LRH. He makes these big budget popcorn movies one right after the other like a robot. He does employ a lot of people but I don't know how memorable they will be in the future. I thought he would trot out a new beard for Oblivion, but maybe no one wants the job (except gold digger trash like Julianne Hough).

by Anonymousreply 10204/14/2013

I think something happened to traumatize him, because it is obvious that Cruise has serious intimacy issues. He also seems really defensive and bitchy. No sense of humor. Over compensates with the affability and smiling as was pointed out earlier in this thread.

He has churned out some fantastic movies, and he really has never received credit. He's also been a cash cow for his producers and distributors until recently. He is a very guarded person and a very competitive person. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 10304/15/2013

Maybe his dad raped him? It happens.

by Anonymousreply 10404/15/2013

I think there should be a competition on TV, like "Top Gun" or "Supreme Being" in which Cruise and Miscavidge compete. "Whose being reigns supreme?"

by Anonymousreply 10504/15/2013

Several years ago I was on a layover in NY and went to see Guys N Dolls starring Peter Gallager. I was leaving the men's room and this guy who resembled Tom Cruise says "Hi, how you doing?" as he approached me. He caught me off guard and I never answered him. I told my flying partner about it when I got back to my seat and we had a giggle about it. I told her this guy was some kind of Tom Cruise wannabe because he had his hair styled just like him. When the play was over we made a dash to beat the crowd outside the theater and there were dozens of paparazzi talking pictures of some celebrity. I walked over to get a look and sure enough, it was Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. He was very handsome but his height spoils his looks.

by Anonymousreply 10604/15/2013

I would feel sorry for Tom except I know how horrible CO$ is to its members and ex-members. He knows this too but does nothing about it. If everyone around him is CO$, then they protect one another and reinforce their supremacy in their own special world. His public appearances with the games on talk shows are really sad. It's like he is autistic but they play along for ratings.

by Anonymousreply 10704/15/2013

r89, I see your point. It's a fair point and brings some interesting points for discussion. I feel that if he were so smart, he wouldn't be tied up with the religion in the first place. If he were so smart, he wouldn't delude himself in the ways you mention. Then again, the promise of power is intoxicating for anyone. The devil takes many people up to the top of the mountain and shows them the view and all they could have.

The only problem is the devil cannot deliver. It's a ruse. A fake full stop.

I fear the man was hustled. Instead of 10% of a middle-income salary, Tom Cruise and his fortune are entangled in an organization that has raised the suspicion of many due to dodgy money policies. Now he owes them everything, money and publicity. If he ever wants to stop they could destroy him.

by Anonymousreply 10804/15/2013

I think he does have a new beard. I believe she's the actress who's in Oblivious (typo and it stays) with him.

They've been showing the trailer for this for a couple of months now and people in the audience are always chuckling.

by Anonymousreply 10904/15/2013

Damn. this thread has only made me sad. Imagine having the money and power he has and still being a scared, hiding little freak.

by Anonymousreply 11004/15/2013

[quote]I wonder if he uses the international press junkets to promote CO$ to foreign leaders. Tom Cruise in China seems scary. He banned US, Life & Style and The Hollywood Reporter from the American Oblivion premiere.

The $ book that came out last year said he did just that ("Going Clear," Lawrence Wright).

By the way, I thought it might be dry, but it hooked me from Chapter 1. Terrific piece of scholarship, and the gossipy bits are even better because they're delivered in such a dry, matter of fact tone. Wright states that Travolta is gay, but is unable to come to any provable conclusion about Cruise, which is interesting.

Before reading the book, I thought Mimi Rogers was a smart, ambitious young woman who got drawn into $ and ended up leaving when she saw through it, but it turns out Rogers was actually from a longtime $ family -- and Wright makes her sound as manipulative as Cruise, in her own way.

by Anonymousreply 11104/15/2013

[R67] I was gonna say, those "15 minutes" have taken me from darn near puberty to perimenopause. He may have a whole mess o problems, but career staying power isn't one of them.

by Anonymousreply 11204/15/2013

According to the National Enquirer Julianne Hough may be his next beard, I mean girlfriend :

by Anonymousreply 11304/15/2013

Watch out Taylor Swift, you've got competition.

by Anonymousreply 11404/15/2013

If that is true, he may as well put up a billboard on Sunset announcing his coming out.

And isn't she 24? That's ridiculous even if he were straight. Even Clooney's "gals" are within 20 years of his age.

by Anonymousreply 11504/15/2013

[quote]They've been showing the trailer for this for a couple of months now and people in the audience are always chuckling.

What are they chuckling about?

by Anonymousreply 11604/15/2013

My favorite Tom Cruise film is "A Few Good Men." He was the epitome of handsome and cool.

I, too, can't believe what he's become. He's now punchline.

by Anonymousreply 11704/15/2013

R101 I thought he was ridiculous in Magnolia. Already displaying his creepy shit. I read somewhere that PTA invited TC to a pre screening of The Master and TC had a big problem with the scene where the Master's son says to Freddie Quell "Don't you get it he makes it up as he goes along" I always believe Cruise was a perfect candidate for Co$, just because he is so incredibly dumb and retarded.

by Anonymousreply 11804/15/2013

I had my way with his ass. And I was not discreet about it.

by Anonymousreply 11904/15/2013

R118, maybe Magnolia was a bad example. I just think that if he wanted to, and was given the chance, he could do some really interesting things acting-wise. I think he has it in him.

by Anonymousreply 12004/15/2013

[quote] After seeing him make the talk show rounds this week on Jimmy Kimmel and Jimmy Fallon, it is obvious he is just an empty vessel with no personality of his own at all.

That was pretty evident 25 years ago, too. The difference is that when he was 20-something and dancing around in your undies, being a bland, vapid role model for dumb, bland American men wasn't a problem.

But the fact that he hasn't grown any layers since just goes to show the emperor has no clothes.

And I'm sure being a Sciento didn't help (and made things much worse, in fact).

by Anonymousreply 12104/15/2013

If he ever had any intellectual curiosity it was purged out of him by Scientolgy. The other thing I noticed that has been consistent with him, is his desire to "save the world." He's a rescuer. As if his self worth is tied to it.

And he seems to need to be extremely self-sufficient, takes pride in never needing anyting or asking for help, yet, someone who would be generous to others. I can see him doing a lot of "good works" in a very private way. Or rescuing someone from a burning building. Which he has done.

It's a funny juxtaposition. Someone who is very wary of being taken advantage of, but is pprobably overly, extravangantly generous, (tied to his sense of self- worth) and someone who is paranoid about being "used" yet is owned by the charlatans who run Scientology.

by Anonymousreply 12204/15/2013

I've tried to avoid even seeing this asshole for a few years now.

Can anybody tell me if he's STILL doing that fake cackle of a laugh where he bares his teeth and throws his head back in a fit of hilarity?

It's classic Tom Cruise. Is he still doing that?

by Anonymousreply 12304/15/2013

I think he is the perfect "Star" for movies, I always like his movies. But the crazy has slowly killed the need to see them. I see the stuff later and enjoy it but any time he is in the news or hyped I feel twitchy.

by Anonymousreply 12404/15/2013

Fame and fortune turns otherwise good people into self-serving robots. It's the nature of the beast. I have witnessed some very nice and good people being turned into Stepford robots before my very eyes. It's almost as if they sold their souls. Sad, but true.

by Anonymousreply 12504/15/2013

Who says he's otherwise good? Whether he's gay or not, there's been multiple reports that he was obsessively, obnoxiously homophobic when he was young. What Bronson Pinchot said about him for example, and another book mentioned a girlfriend dragged him to see Torch Song Trilogy or something like that, and Tom had a homophobic meltdown about it. How much has he changed? I'll bet he just got better at hiding his homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 12604/15/2013

I like most of his movies. I think he's a decent actor. I think that show business (mixed with his choice of religion) has driven him over the edge. As I said, I like him (Travolta too, for that matter), I just wish he (and Travolta) would break away from that hideous, money-hungry, brain-washing cult and come to terms with who they really are.

by Anonymousreply 12704/15/2013

the cult, the odd behavior, THE ALLEGEDLY PAID FOR WIVES (!!!)....

The closet sucks.

by Anonymousreply 12804/15/2013

'I don't think there has ever been a star - male or female - with such long holding power as TC, both with fans and in the Box Office'

r67, his box office is fading. Do keep up.

Also, Meryl Streep has had a longer career than TC, and is a bigger box office draw at age 62 than he is/was in his late 40s and 50s.

Typical sexist bullshit you're offering us there.

I don't care much for Katharine Hepburn, but even she had a much longer career than TC; not to mention Ingrid Bergman, Joan Crawaford or Bette Davis, who turned in highly profitable films with 'Baby Jane' and 'Sweet Charlotte' late in her career.

In other words, epic fail on your part.

by Anonymousreply 12904/15/2013

^^ or Henry Fonda, come to think of it.

Liz Taylor too had a longer career than TC.

Face it, TC lost a good deal of his fans after jumping on Oprah's couch. He still does movies, but his career and reputation have never truly recovered. Most of his movies underperform these days, or are outright flops, except for Mission Impossible.

If you can't see that, then you're being willfully blind.

In any case, the premise for your assertion isn't there.

by Anonymousreply 13004/15/2013

R127 = Part of the spoon fed legion of clueless assholes who makes sure Cruise will never go away.

by Anonymousreply 13104/15/2013

^^^ The only reason Meryl's box office average is inflated is because of Mama Mia. The Iron Lady and Hope Springs bombed.

There really are no box office starts anymore, they have been replaced with event movies based on video games or comic books. CGI effects are the new box office stars.

by Anonymousreply 13204/15/2013

Tom Cruis is the biggest movie star of all time. I don't think anyone should argue against that unless they are prepared to drop box office from the equation. He is also 50 and shows no signs of stopping, so longevity comparisons are a bit pointless. He's burned brighter than anyone you listed for longer than they did. Tom Cruise, for all his batshit crazy ways, is a first in Hollywood.

Your not the usual Streep troll, are you?

by Anonymousreply 13304/15/2013

I eat Meryl Streep's shit!

by Anonymousreply 13404/15/2013

r132, 'The Iron Lady' raked in 115 million dollars.

'Hope Springs' generated 114 million dollars.

(Feel free to consult boxofficemojo.com)

Those films are -- wait for it -- hit movies!

Yes, that is very unpalatable to the sexist Meryl detractors. And yet, it is the truth.

Meryl Streep is a bigger success story at the box office than TC.

Therefore you and the imbecile at r67 are... wrong.

by Anonymousreply 13504/15/2013

'Tom Cruis (sic) is the biggest movie star of all time'

He is not, clammy.

'MI3', 'Knight and Day', 'Rock of Ages', 'Lions for Lambs', 'Jack Reacher' all flopped or underperformed.

Only 'MI4' was a hit movie.

His career was badly damaged after Oprah and Matt Lauer, and this is reflected by his abating box office might.

by Anonymousreply 13604/15/2013

I thought I was the biggest b.o. star of all time.

by Anonymousreply 13704/15/2013

Or maybe he is not nearly as complicated as most posters seem to want to make him. He is a movie star and has been one for decades. He is not THAT smart (and he is dyslexic) and perhaps being just a tad bit of a dim bulb has helped him survive in the star system without going totally off the rails WAY before the Oprah incident. He has been ISOLATED and insulated for decades. Ass kissed and catered to. Lived in a Hollywood bubble. Not sure how much Scientology has "programmed" him but he just seems, to me, to be about as "real" as anyone who has survived in that insular shell could be. He is like Britain's royal family in that regard. No conception of how real, normal, everyday people live or behave. He has been SO catered to for so long now.

Tom Cruise, for all his success, is NOT witty or clever and has relied on his physical appeal and scripted dialogue to carry him along. He is not comfortable in interviews because he is not naturally charming, not without a script and a good director. His whole persona has been a CHARACTER, from Risky Business forward. Preppy, cute, clean cut guy. Perpetually youthful. All image. And one cannot sustain THAT image forever. As he ages, it will be interesting to see how he copes.

I could never get a read on whether he is gay or not but, if he is, he doesn't WANT to be and never did. All those "showmances." His wives seemed more like props than anything else. Photo ops. Good for publicity. And Mimi Rogers said he was not into sex at all, was more like a monk.

I do think the guy is damaged but he is also super rich and lives "that" life that most people only dream of. The problem is, the dream is never what the reality is and I just think Cruise is kind of numb inside, not really ABLE to enjoy all the fruits of his 30 year labors. Too much excess is never a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 13804/15/2013

I recall reading somewhere that Tom's father was abusive and would lock him in the closet. It's obvious the guy is emotionally and psychologically damaged goods because of his childhood. He is no different than most of the celebrities who fled to hollywood to escape a bad family upbringing.

by Anonymousreply 13904/15/2013

Still has a hot butt!

by Anonymousreply 14004/15/2013

His desire to save the world is the Scientology talking - they are all about "clearing the planet" (of everyone but Scientologists.) It's highly unlikely that he does any "good works" outside the cult, as Scientology considers charitable giving to be "out-exchange," as L Ron Hubbard said it is harmful to give to someone unless they give something back for it.

When he needs a tax deduction he gives directly to the cult - they have a special division for their 'whales' - and they give him an award and a fancy title for it. Or he sponsors something like the cult's bogus "New York Rescue Workers Detoxification Project." Either way, the cult keeps the big money in the house.

by Anonymousreply 14104/16/2013

"After the strongly-rumoured liaison with Newman on 'Color of Money' Cruise was supposedly invested, and very keen to continue. For Newman it was just location fun, and adios. (Intriguing Daddy vibe there for TC.)"

Tom cruise came into the deli where I worked in westport ct (I was in HS) He was visiting Paul Newman around the time that was filmed. He was itty bitty & definitely NOT dead in the eyes at that point. Smiling and seemingly happy and normal-ish...

Shocked at how short he was and how crooked his teeth were.

by Anonymousreply 14204/16/2013

PreTheta. Before the vessel was emptied :

by Anonymousreply 14304/16/2013

R120 Sorry he is completely unbelievable as an actor. One of the worst actors in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 14404/16/2013

R139 It's a shame poor Tom is still locked in that closet his dad put him in.

by Anonymousreply 14504/16/2013

R142 Same here. Cruise used to frequent a restaurant I worked at in the early/mid-1980s. I was shocked by how short he was. Bios claim him to be 5ft, 6in., but no fucking way. He's no more than 5'1". My boyfriend at the time was 5'6" and towered over Tom. You are correct, Tom was very friendly and down-to-earth back then. I always thought he was a cool dude back then.

The first time he came in, I had no idea he was an actor. I had heard of Risky Business and Tom Cruise but had never seen either. I thought, "Damn, he's a cute pocket gay, but if he was 4 or 5 inches taller he'd be hot." One of the waiters told me it was Cruise and I was shocked. I had thought actors had to be a certain height (over 6 ft). LOL.

by Anonymousreply 14604/16/2013

Tammy is tiny. I sense a certain glee in Kimmel and Fallon that they get to fuck with him with these games since they have to agree to not to ask personal (or any?) questions. You get to make Tom Cruise do stupid pet tricks.

by Anonymousreply 14704/16/2013

The storys I coud tell if I wadnt so sedatedddddd. I no to many thing. I goin to tell all soon.

by Anonymousreply 14804/16/2013

R148 Oh, no you're not going to say one word. Keep your mouth shut, boy!

by Anonymousreply 14904/16/2013

Not so sure about his diminished box office. Jack Reacher was pretty modestly budgeted and rang up over $200 million worldwide, same for Valkyrie. I found them both very entertaining. Mission Impossible 4:Ghost Protocol did almost $700 million worldwide and is an expertly produced and very entertaining action flick. I loved it, and was shocked, I had not seen the other MI movies.

by Anonymousreply 15004/17/2013

The "construction guy" of The Village People said that Cruise serviced him. After reading that, I was expecting a lawsuit against him by Cruise. Didn't happen.

Saw an 8"x10" photo of TC in a national mag, and he did indeed look soul-less. Dead eyes. BUT I saw one of Brangelina,(same size), and they too had the same look. All looked other-worldly, it seemed to me.

by Anonymousreply 15104/17/2013

Seems like only yesterday, reports had it that Cruise was bragging about being the most powerful person in hollywood. There was an aspiring actress, Karina Lombard, who honestly replied, (when asked how Cruise performed as a kisser), that he wasn't very good. Read that he had her blacklisted.

Scientology is really a cult. A church doesn't do audits of its members. And those audits has Cruise in the cult's power, because secrets he has tried to hide will surface, just as Travolta's has.

by Anonymousreply 15204/17/2013

Under a cool facade, he is so guarded, he is so tensed, he makes it hard to watch. The whole demeanor feels fake, phony. It's like, even though these "interviews" are mostly scripted, civilized, previsible, prepared, whatever, that he's terrorized the interviewer is going to ask the unexpected, overwhelming, unmanageable question.

by Anonymousreply 15304/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.