Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NYC Gays: Chelsea Gays vs Hells Kitchen Gays

As someone who is moving to NYC, I'm curious as to the difference (mating habits, dress, you know the anthropological stuff) between the Chelsea Gay & the Hells Kitchen Gay... Educate me

by Anonymousreply 5704/16/2013

As I understand it the Hell's Kitchen gays are professional or private whores. The Chelsea gays are plastic bitches if they're not drug addicts.

by Anonymousreply 104/13/2013

Hell's Kitchen gays will cut you for comparing them to Chelsea gays.

by Anonymousreply 204/13/2013

Chelsea is older because it's more expensive. . HK Is younger as the newer gay hood.

by Anonymousreply 304/13/2013

Gays, gays, you're both uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 404/13/2013

How can people even afford to live in NY and yet accept those horrid conditions of roommates, bedbugs, big-ass roaches/bugs, or rats?

by Anonymousreply 504/13/2013

AIDS or meningitis? Take your pick.

by Anonymousreply 604/13/2013

Gays are over.

by Anonymousreply 704/13/2013

I'm assuming you're planning to become one or the other, OP. If so, how depressing for the city (we don't need any more of either).

If not, why not consider becoming Ramble riff-raff? or a bathroom perv? or an older, straight-acting, DL gym sauna slut? All are more appealing.

by Anonymousreply 804/14/2013

OP, forget about those two ghettos and move to West Harlem. The rents are more affordable and the population more diverse.

by Anonymousreply 904/14/2013

Chelsea is tired and Hell's Kitchen is full of whores.

Move to Houston.

by Anonymousreply 1004/14/2013

50 and up = Chelsea

30 - 49 = HK

18 - 29 = Brooklyn

Rich gays = Meat Packing.

by Anonymousreply 1104/14/2013

The kind of guys who can be referred to as "gays" or who call other dudes things like "Chelsea Gays" are over, tired. The whole "the gays" thing is so uncool and dated. It's all about brosexuals, dudes, and homothugs now. Masculinity rules.

by Anonymousreply 1204/14/2013

Interestingly, there are actually more gays in Murray Hill then in Hells Kitchen. Just more low key so you don't notice.

by Anonymousreply 1304/14/2013

"Masculinity rules."

Bwahahahah! In New York City?

by Anonymousreply 1404/14/2013

In real estate ads West Harlem is called Hamilton Heights.

by Anonymousreply 1504/14/2013

What about the Fuckberry Farms neighborhood? Or at least that's what they're calling it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/14/2013

Hamilton Heights is 90% black. Hardly "diverse".

by Anonymousreply 1704/14/2013

Morningside Heights has become pretty trendy. There are still some shady streets, but overall it's a safe area to live. It's technically Harlem, but rental agents classify it as the upper fringe of the Upper West Side.

by Anonymousreply 1804/14/2013

I always trust people in real estate to give me the straight goods.

by Anonymousreply 1904/14/2013

r18, Morningside Heights is NOT part of Harlem. Here are the boundaries - East: Morningside Drive. West: Riverside Park. North: 125th Street. South: 110th Street.

by Anonymousreply 2004/15/2013

Morningside used to seem like it's part of the ues!

by Anonymousreply 2104/15/2013

[quote]"Masculinity rules." Bwahahahah! In New York City?

I couldn't agree more, NY is for nancies

by Anonymousreply 2204/15/2013

More pumped gym queens in HK than Chelsea now. The steroided look is so 80's, though some do appear from time to time and look so ridiculous and out of place.

by Anonymousreply 2304/15/2013

r22, this is plenty of dude4dude masculinity in NYC. I know lots of it exists in Washington Heights, Harlem, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Spanish Harlem. A LOT of it, probably numerically more than the stereotypical types in Chelsea or lower Manhattan, but the kind of NYC gays on DL probably don't see or experience much beyond their tiny, insular ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 2404/15/2013

Hell's Kitchen resident here and really you couldn't find a greater place to live than in the 10 blocks on 9th between 42-52nd.

by Anonymousreply 2504/15/2013

I'm curious R25. How so?

by Anonymousreply 2604/15/2013

Everything you need is here, R26!

Plenty of great bars and restaurants, the theater district is an avenue over, you're close to all subway lines and there are enough guys to sleep with that you could have a couple a week and not get bored.

by Anonymousreply 2704/15/2013

What about Greenwich Village?

by Anonymousreply 2804/15/2013

The Village is much too expensive for most people under 40 to afford. That's another thing that's so great about Hell's Kitchen. It's still very affordable to live there and still be in the middle of everything.

You can get away with only having one roommate and paying 1050-1100 a month (each). With prices so dirt cheap I don't know how people complain about living in New York.

by Anonymousreply 2904/15/2013

I am 37, live in west chelsea with my partner and we aren't rich. Rent is $2300 a month for a real one bedroom on the top floor of a pre-war building. I have a job making around 70K, he makes about 30K, we make it work. Very low key. I love walking 10th avenue from 23rd down to Chelsea Market. Walking the Highline. Beautiful blocks. THere are enough whores in London Terrace to keep you busy if that's your thing.

by Anonymousreply 3004/15/2013

R30, we're neighbors!

by Anonymousreply 3104/15/2013

If I lived in NYC, I would definitely fit in better in the Bronx and Washington Heights, which sound much more grounded and mainstream than Chelsea.

by Anonymousreply 3204/15/2013

r30, I must ask, what do you do that earns you only 70K? I'm almost afraid to ask what your bf does for his pittance. And how do you survive on only a combined 100K? I make three times that amount and have trouble making ends meet.

by Anonymousreply 3304/15/2013

I make about 70K too, working in publishing.

I think rent over 2K/month is hardly "dirt cheap," though. Particularly to be in a neighborhood like HK, which really is the worst of modern NYC: restaurants that aren't as good as they should be, a major hellacious tourist area right on the doorstep (Broadway--which hasn't been more than a horrible pseudo-theatrical corporate whorehouse for ages now), and some of the ugliest architecture on the island.

That people "love" it tells you more about their need to justify to themselves the ridiculous rents they pay than it does the actual neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 3404/15/2013

Anyone on Roosevelt Island?

by Anonymousreply 3504/15/2013

Harlem is where it's at now.

by Anonymousreply 3604/15/2013

How wonderful to have rats the size of small poodles scurry past your feet and then climb five flights home to your tiny roach-flat, all for the mere pittance of four grand a month.

I tells ya, there's nothing like the New Yawk lifestyle!

by Anonymousreply 3704/15/2013

West Chelsea is west of Tenth Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 3804/15/2013

What Murray Hill is to generic b-tier bros who share apartments while working their entry level corporate or finance jobs and sleeping with generic PR girls they pick up at horrible post-frat bars on Third Avenue, Hell's Kitchen is to generic b-tier gays who share apartments while working their entry level jobs in PR, "brand management" or in the chorus of Broadway shows (when they're out of work it's back to Astoria or Washington Heights) and sleeping with other generic boys they pick up on grindr or at the horrible gay bars off of 8th and 9th Avenue.

Hell's Kitchen exists as it does now because Chelsea got too expensive. It's now full of older more established gays and straight couples with kids who don't want to live on the Upper West Side (which is now basically Scarsdale with subway access), but who can't quite afford Tribeca.

by Anonymousreply 3904/15/2013

Seeing more gays every passing month in the Yorkville area of the UES. Cheap rents if you can handle the far walk to the subway.

by Anonymousreply 4004/15/2013

I've lived in NYC (Manhattan) pretty much all my life. I have never heard anyone in the city refer to Chelsea Gays or Hells Kitchen's Gays etc. I've also not noticed trends amoung friends living in different neighborhoods other than it is unlikely for a rich friend to live in Washington Heights or a young relatively poor friend on Central Park West.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 4104/15/2013

You queens who get your kicks, and make you feel better about your dreary lives, by carrying on about the supposed deficiencies of a great city that you don't know much about: why don't you get back over to those McDonald's, KFC, and potato chip threads that you keep starting?

by Anonymousreply 4204/15/2013

Bravo, R41!

by Anonymousreply 4304/15/2013

[quote] carrying on about the supposed deficiencies of a great city that you don't know much about

They don't even mention Shake Shack! OMGs!!! That's so the best place! It's so New York! It's so cool!

by Anonymousreply 4404/15/2013

I've always wanted to go to chelsea NYC. Just because the history of it and i've heard the guys are hot in that area, fit etc.

by Anonymousreply 4504/15/2013

West Village guy here, finding it easier to walk up to Chelsea than on up toward midtown. A hot guy's hot, no matter where his roof.

by Anonymousreply 4604/15/2013

Most of the gay left in Chelsea are Sam Champion-ish. Ya know, 50 and self-fabulous. If that's your type, by all means.

by Anonymousreply 4704/15/2013

I especially love it when in the middle of the night I hear crashing in my Chelsea kitchen and I get up and see that it's a giant rat knocking my dishes down.

by Anonymousreply 4804/15/2013

[quote] I make three times that amount and have trouble making ends meet.

If you make $300k a year and have trouble making ends meet, you must have a hardcore drug addiction. Because anyone with any common sense and self control could easily live off of $300k. After taxes, that's like $15,000 a month. Even if your rent was 5K a month, you can't make ends meet on a clear 10K a month? You are really fucked.

[quote]West Chelsea is west of Tenth Avenue.

Wrong. West Chelsea is anything west of 8th ave between 14th and 34th Sts. You only have a handful of residences west of 10th and the rest are galleries and commercial businesses.

Chelsea is much straighter now that it has been completely gentrified for over a decade. Hell's Kitchen looks more like what Chelsea was ten years ago although with 10X the number of shitty Thai restaurants.

If I was young and gay and wanted to go out all the time, I would definitely be in Hells Kitchen now. Since I did that in the early aughts I have no desire to now.

by Anonymousreply 4904/16/2013

where do masculine White bi and gay dudes live in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 5004/16/2013

Brooklyn is the new Manhattan. Williamsburg, Greenpoint and Bushwick are teeming with young, hot masculine gay dudes with beards, tattoos and non-attitudes.

Leave the chic-let teeth, perma-tans and steroid cycles to the Westside queens.

by Anonymousreply 5104/16/2013

r49 also thinks the West Village begins at Fifth Avenue since it's the dividing line between East and West numbered streets.

by Anonymousreply 5204/16/2013

r49, the NYC Planning Department says West Chelsea is 16th-30th, west of Tenth Avenue. Landmark Preservation Commission shows West Chelsea Historic District as 25th-28th, west of Tenth Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 5304/16/2013

[quote]If I lived in NYC, I would definitely fit in better in the Bronx and Washington Heights, which sound much more grounded and mainstream than Chelsea.

I guess nobody told you about the filthy, loud, drug-dealing Dominicans, or whoever else is peeing in the elevator EVERY day! Still, real estate agents will welcome your dough!

by Anonymousreply 5404/16/2013

R51 is right. There are plenty of down-to-earth gays in Brooklyn who are fully integrated into the community without sacrificing their homosexuality. The gays in Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen are too isolated for my taste.

by Anonymousreply 5504/16/2013

I'll buy a cookie from Schmakery's and my fruit and veggies from the stand on 9th between 42-43. How much more integrated into the community do you want R55?

by Anonymousreply 5604/16/2013

I'd rather be gay-adjacent.

by Anonymousreply 5704/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!