Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Self Publishing

I have noticed even some respecte authors are now doing it.

When googling multitudes of companies come up, all with different fee structures and promises.

If one does this...what company can be trusted?

by Anonymousreply 2204/19/2013

Just learn how to do it yourself. It's not that hard. My husband does it and he learned how to do it pretty fast. Some of the formatting is a pain in the ass but I think it's getting easier. Save your money and get a good editor and cover artist instead.

by Anonymousreply 104/13/2013

R1 you still need to work with some form of company...which one does he work with?

by Anonymousreply 204/13/2013

R1 does he print from a computer and sell from the garage? If not he is working with a self publishing company...do you mind sharing which one?

by Anonymousreply 304/13/2013

The best way to do is it at Netminds.com. New company, very smart.

by Anonymousreply 404/13/2013

Some of the best books I've read have been self published ones I downloaded on my tablet. I love SHTF fiction which generally isn't published by mainstream publishers. You have to be forgiving of errors and lack of editing that could have made the story a little tighter. Here's one of my favorite books I've read and it was self published. It's on its way to becoming a movie now.

by Anonymousreply 504/13/2013

R4 if so their website does not reflect it.

The present a convoluted mind fuck without ever saying exactly what they do how they do it what the charges or splits are.

by Anonymousreply 604/13/2013

I know someone who has used outskirtspress.com a few times, and has been very happy with them.

by Anonymousreply 704/13/2013

R7 their site screams rip off artist...he really used them?

by Anonymousreply 804/13/2013

Netminds is a mind fuck...the whole site reads like spam. Incredibly unclear.

by Anonymousreply 904/13/2013

The thing is, you really don't need to work with a company to do it yourself, OP. You can sell your books through Amazon without any middleman.

If you don't know html, it can be a bit of a pain to learn how to format your book to sell in Amazon's Kindle store, but there are plenty of inexpensive books that explain how to do it. Amazon also issues Kindle publishing guidelines.

You can sell hard copies of your by using Amazon's CreateSpace service, which is a free print on demand service that sells hard copies through Amazon. If you don't know how to format a word processing document to meet their printing specifications, CreateSpace also offers paid editing and design services.

CreateSpace tells you upfront how much royalties they pay based on the cover price you set. Amazon's Kindle store bases your royalties on how big your book file is. Either way, Amazon gets a big cut for itself, but so would a traditional publisher and agent. And you don't have to deal with editors pushing changes on your manuscript that you object to making.

I believe Barnes and Noble also does something similar, so there are two major online outlets you can sell both digital and print copies of your book through.

Bottom line, there is nothing a publisher can do for you that you can't do for yourself, except get your book prime space in book stores. And what book stores would those be these days?

by Anonymousreply 1004/13/2013

Kindle, nook and Smashwords.

by Anonymousreply 1104/13/2013

Sorry, he recommende the free version of Calibre. You can pay someone to format it for you but you should maintain complete control over your book.

by Anonymousreply 1204/13/2013

Self publishing can be very tricky. It's all on you. You have to pick the right editor (and trust me: You will need an editor / outside perspective with proper credentials who will notify you of the risks you are taking and the flaws in your work). It's your name and future reputation as a writer that's at stake after all.

What's even worse is the non-existing buffer when it comes to haters who will come in droves to put you and your work down on social networks like twitter and facebook where you do all the promotion and marketing. Emotionally prepare for that in advance.

by Anonymousreply 1304/13/2013

A guy I know used Smashwords.

by Anonymousreply 1404/13/2013

He also suggested that you look at the blogs "Predators and Editors" and "Writer Beware" to protect and educate yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1504/13/2013

What is SHTF fiction?

by Anonymousreply 1604/13/2013

Thanks...I like smashwords...think that may work.

by Anonymousreply 1704/14/2013

Some good advice in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1804/16/2013

R13 is correct.

I've been writing for years. Have published a ton of short stories, but can't seem to get my novel published. All my friends keep urging me to self publish, but since I've written a "gay" novel, the cost of a decent editor would probably be more than I could hope to make, I haven't done it.

I don't want to put something out there that hasn't been professionally edited.

by Anonymousreply 1904/16/2013

R19, your book sounds terrible.

by Anonymousreply 2004/16/2013

R20, you sound like a total asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2104/16/2013

You're right r21.

by Anonymousreply 2204/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.