Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Nurse practitioner gone from DL for 3 years

I posted when I was turned down for job after job for being 'overqualified'.

I was given advice on jobs and how to find them, none of it worked.

My market goes for recent graduates and brings in enormous numbers from the Philippines to stay staffed.

I finally went to Afghanistan to work in a military camp for one year, amazing pay, risky conditions. Nurses are one of the many outsourced services and have taken the place of doctors in camps not in front line zones.

I signed on for one year and stayed for three and will likely go back, possibly to another location.

Way back when I left I promised to check in when I got stateside, this is my first trip back and here I am if any of you want to know what it was like.

by Anonymousreply 11504/18/2013

Aha! So it was YOU who caused DL to turn into shit by leaving. We need a particular makeup of people in order for content to be good. So I suggest you stay stateside and come back to DL.

Also, how much did they pay you for Afghanistan? This is an anonymous board.

by Anonymousreply 104/13/2013

I began at 160k per year and got slight increases each year I re-signed.

Outside of my two months leave I has almost no expenses outside of some black market wine I bought on occasion.

I would like to have over 500k saved before I come back. I also ended up loving it, shockingly.

by Anonymousreply 204/13/2013

How were the Afghans? Did they come in many colors and patterns?

by Anonymousreply 304/13/2013

R3 I visited Turkey and the rugs came in many colors and patterns. You go there.

by Anonymousreply 404/13/2013

Serious questions would be nice.

OP since you left DL has been on almost permenant primetime so there may be many who want to talk but cannot due to primetime.

Feel free to share hot military sex encounters.

by Anonymousreply 504/13/2013

How old are you, OP? Do you think your overseas experience will make you more marketable here in the US, or do you plan on making enough money over there that you can retire? How long do you think that will take?

And oh yeah, what did you do for sex over there?

by Anonymousreply 604/13/2013

R6 I am now 43.

I doubt more experience will make me more marketable, I think in this climate it will make me less so. Inexperience is cheap and cheap is what employers desire. I have two months to check the job scene before I decide to re-up.

Sex was easy. Despite myths, not every man in the military is gay, but many are and there is a lot of situational sexuality.

I did have a long term affair with an enlisted man, who then went stateside and back to his wife.

As a contractor I had private quarters (no private bath) and by quarters I mean a 3/4 temporary wall structure with a canvas roof and decent bed.

Thus privacy for sex.

by Anonymousreply 704/13/2013

Thank gawd for Afghanistan- praise Allah! They provide so many job opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 804/13/2013

R8 I hate what has become of our country. I am no fan of my employers, but I was running out of funds and time.

I had to do something. Desperate people do desperate things. Our corporate masters have made it so.

by Anonymousreply 904/13/2013

OP, what kind of nursing did you do? I'm an RN who works in psych and would love ER/critical care experience. I'm finding it hard to cross over to med surg.

by Anonymousreply 1004/13/2013

I has been working in the ER. As a practitioner I saw a lot of the patients who did not need a doc. Stitches, Strep, etc.

On base I did general medical, physicals, VD, and whatever came up.

by Anonymousreply 1104/13/2013

How were the medical facilities? Did you lack for anything you needed?

by Anonymousreply 1304/13/2013

OP, what are your thoughts about the Afghans? Did you learn to speak some Pashto?

by Anonymousreply 1404/13/2013

OP, have you encountered seriously dangerous situations? What's the worst thing that you have faced personally?

by Anonymousreply 1504/13/2013

R13 Did I lack?

In a sense no. Anything that required further attention was taken care of at a larger facility with full equipment.

This was a camp office, think of it as first aid plus. I did a lot of VD testing, stitches if needed, exams, an occasional boil, strep throat.

The stuff that comes up on a daily basis, this was not front line so a decent supply of antibiotics and basic testing equipment was what was needed. I had that.

by Anonymousreply 1604/13/2013

Is there no access to DL in Afghanistan? Which countries, including the U.S., did you visit during your tine there? I think you should return for another stint given you enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 1704/13/2013

I passed through dangerous situations getting to and from the airport but did not face down personal danger.

I did not learn much. I had little contact unless a soldier smuggled in a sick kid whom I would see.

My major contact was with the black market supplier who spoke fluent English. I got wine and few other treats from him.

by Anonymousreply 1804/13/2013

Thanks, OP. Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 1904/13/2013

R17 We did have internet but I used a computer tied to the military mainframe. EVERY site I would go to was printed out with my ID and could be questioned.

In addition, we did not have wireless and laptops we all shared limited machines. Most went on sent email, checked in on Facebook maybe and got off. Someone was always waiting.

I was a busy guy and not worried about DL.

I spent time in Dubai (not my favorite) Yemen, Turkey, Lebanon, and Greece.

by Anonymousreply 2104/13/2013

My camp was all male.

There are female nurses as part of the Corps, I am not sure about outsourced ones. Everyone at my orientation was male.

by Anonymousreply 2204/13/2013

Congrats, OP. I remember that thread. I'm curious about Yemen. Some of the mountainous areas on the peninsula look starkly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 2304/14/2013

What were the showers like? Did you all have to shower together? How many dicks did you see?

by Anonymousreply 2404/14/2013

OP, how do people in the military generally feel about the American presence in Afghanistan? Do they think we're doing the right thing by being there?

by Anonymousreply 2504/14/2013

I also remember you OP. Glad to hear it sounds like you made the right choice.

by Anonymousreply 2604/14/2013

I wish I could do that. I'm an NP but I haven't worked in over 10 years. I had to move to an area where there arent any jobs, unless you want to work 16 hours a day in a doctor's office for low pay and no benefits. I worked like a dog as an RN for 20 + years and can't stand on my feet for that long anymore.

There's a hospital here, but it's very small and old fashioned. There are one staff nurses, but you have to be related to someone to get a job. They mostly use travelers. This is a resort area with ocean beaches, so they get a lot of Midwesterners to work here in summer. No bennies and they get a housing allowance. I tried applying for 5 years and never got a call back.

by Anonymousreply 2704/14/2013

R23 Yemen is one of the most beautiful countries imaginable.

The area by the water looks like an oasis that you could only imagine.

The mountains are ...it is difficult to describe. Much of the country is unsettled and it seems like a million years ago when you are in it. Paradise in parts, less so in others.

by Anonymousreply 2804/14/2013

You couldn't get a job as a NP in Canada, OP? It seems as if we're always advertising for them.

by Anonymousreply 3004/14/2013

R27 you can do it, you choose not to.

R30 no, I could not get the work permits needed despite interest from a hospital in Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 3104/14/2013

I'm glad to hear all is well with you, OP. That is what is most important. I'm also glad to read that you've been able to build a decent and well deserved financial nest-egg for yourself. However, I am disgusted that the state of the U.S. is so fucked up that you are not able to work towards building a comfortably adequate and secure financial future by applying your skills here at home where they are also greatly needed.

Best of luck to you.

Oh, and one bit of advice: Be sure to buy some gold and/or silver with a significant portion of your savings. Things are going to get a lot worse for this country before they start getting better. Don't let the bastards calling the shots these days loot what you've worked so hard to achieve - because they [italic]will[/italic] do so at any opportunity they can find or construct.

by Anonymousreply 3204/14/2013

R32 I put my money in Swiss Francs. I believe that since the super rich trust this method that it might be safer than gold which could crash.

by Anonymousreply 3304/14/2013

Fascinating thread, OP. I had no idea it was so hard for NPs to find work. I work in the disability area and in my state, which is rural, there are a lot of clinics staffed by NPs primarily, who do what you do overseas. Did you want to live in an urban environment?

by Anonymousreply 3404/14/2013

I once hooked up with a married guy who said he fucked a nurse in a gun tower or something in Afghanistan. Can you describe sex there?

by Anonymousreply 3504/14/2013

"Showering like that is jovial rather than sexual most of the time."

How dull, OP. I hope you at least jacked off to the hot ones back in your room.

by Anonymousreply 3604/14/2013

[quote] [R27] you can do it, you choose not to.

No. Nobody will hire me after 10 years out of the workforce. I never get a callback.

by Anonymousreply 3704/14/2013

What's your opinion of the goings-on there geopolitically? What the hell is the end game there? Is there one?

by Anonymousreply 3804/14/2013

[quote]Oh, and one bit of advice: Be sure to buy some gold and/or silver with a significant portion of your savings

Yes, because buying when gold is steadily falling from its bubble peak is such a smart idea....

by Anonymousreply 3904/14/2013

R37 What I meant is that you can leave the country and outsource yourself, and yes being willing to do so increased the likelihood of your being hired.

by Anonymousreply 4004/14/2013

R34 I did want to live in any environment at that point. I just could not get hired in the states.

R35 describe the sex...

Sex there is pretty much like sex anywhere. As I said I had private quarters and one person in my life for a long period before he went stateside.

What is most different is affection. Men are much more openly affectionate with each other. I won't say every straight man was sexual, despite your fantasies it is not true.

However there were many more than I would have thought being sexual with each other.

by Anonymousreply 4104/14/2013

R38 I think the game is war now. The 'enemy' will change but war is a huge money maker for private industry and our government is ruled by corporations.

Most soldiers know the game and are grateful for a job. Few are ignorant patriots, but they will put that on for the public.

by Anonymousreply 4204/14/2013

What an interesting thread. Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 4304/14/2013

The end game is building and controlling an oil pipeline. How do you feel about the war now that you're a profiteer?

by Anonymousreply 4404/14/2013

I agree, R42, and it's horrible. My Iraq vet young cousin told me he was waiting for another war to break out so he'd have a job. The military is the only option now for blue collar kids in my family. 30 years ago they'd have become auto workers. Not everyone is cut out for college, and not being cube drone material doesn't mean you're stupid or worthless. And both Dems and Repubs think we need more unskilled immigration.

by Anonymousreply 4504/14/2013

Thanks for getting back to us, OP. It's good to know that you're doing okay.

by Anonymousreply 4604/14/2013

more details on sex please

by Anonymousreply 4704/14/2013

The sex was hot, literally

by Anonymousreply 4804/14/2013

Glad you found a job and made lots of money, it will be worth it in the end. Congrats and please take care and stay safe! Wishing you all the best!

by Anonymousreply 4904/14/2013

[quote]I put my money in Swiss Francs.

Could someone tell me exactly how to do this legally? I'm inheriting some money that I want to protect for the future not hide from the IRS. I would just feel a lot safer with it in a Swiss bank.

[quote]I did a lot of VD testing,

Did no officers care where these str8 guys were all getting STDs without much available pussy?

by Anonymousreply 5004/14/2013

[quote]Most soldiers know the game and are grateful for a job. Few are ignorant patriots, but they will put that on for the public.

I was relieved to hear this as I do occasionally have fears that our own government wouldn't hesitate to use our own troops against us. It is nice to know that most are just doing a job and aren't brainwashed drones hyped up on American rah rah.

by Anonymousreply 5104/14/2013

Good to hear from you, OP. If you're financially set when you come back, I hope you'll consider volunteering your time at a clinic. You shouldn't have to volunteer but you're too bright to not share your gifts.

by Anonymousreply 5204/14/2013

[quote]I had private quarters (no private bath) and by quarters I mean a 3/4 temporary wall structure with a canvas roof and decent bed.

Not sure what that means. Did you have four walls with a door that could be closed? Was there another room on the other side of the wall or did you have your own unit. Does your room have heating or cooling?

What do you have for getting news? Is there a camp newspaper? Does the camp have a TV/radio station or a system to download from satellite to get to personal radios or TVs? Do you feel that you're far removed from everything in the U.S., or do you have ways to keep up?

by Anonymousreply 5304/14/2013

How did you get a job like that, OP? Was there an ad in the paper or did you have a friend who referred you? Did you have to join the military to go?

by Anonymousreply 5404/14/2013

not to derail this thread, but here is a reason we are in such a fiscal crisis- by outsourcing our jobs to military contractors, we are paying a nurse practitioner 160k + whatever his company takes as a commission to provide his services (remember, the companies providing these services are for profit entities). so for the price of one outsourced nurse practitioner we could have had FOUR regular duty army medics.

i'm happy for OP that he is being paid well, but we the people are being screwed in the name of corporate profits.

by Anonymousreply 5504/14/2013

Well, that was hateful, r56. Please fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 5704/14/2013

I'm in school to become a family NP. Most of my graduating friends have found pretty good jobs here (LA); it's really tough for CRNAs, though. We currently have a bill that releases NPs from MD supervision being reviewed in the state senate. That (if it goes through) and the Affordable Care Act will be changing the landscape quite a bit in a short period of time here.

by Anonymousreply 5804/14/2013

[quote]My market goes for recent graduates and brings in enormous numbers from the Philippines to stay staffed.

Why from Philippines?

by Anonymousreply 5904/14/2013

It's one of the ways they get into the U.S. They also become science and math teachers. My sister-in-law is a Filipina school teacher (math). Her family includes several nurses, including one CRNA. My SIL has mentioned being at conferences for math teachers, sitting with other Filipinas, and being at a loss because she doesn't know much Tagalog, having emigrated as a child.

by Anonymousreply 6004/14/2013

R60, You're explaining why THEY want to come here, but why does the U.S. want them? Are there not enough Americans that want to become nurses? Per OP, the pay is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6104/14/2013

I agree, R61. I'm confused. There's no way there aren't American NPs who need work. Why import from The Philippines?

by Anonymousreply 6204/14/2013

Because the Filipino nurses are willing to work cheaper than American nurses.

Travlers are also given preference because even though they make a high hourly salary, they don't get benefits. If you are willing to pick up and move every year to two years and have the discipline to put money aside for benefits then it can be a pretty good deal for both sides.

For a while there was a nursing shortage, but now the market is flooded and there are more than year long waits to get into nursing school. When the economy began to tank, everyone thought there would be security in health care, but now the market is saturated when hospitals are needing to cut costs.

by Anonymousreply 6404/14/2013

R62, I'm sure the intention is to proletarianize every middle class job, leaving the elites with all the marbles. Destroying the middle class was intentional, and I'm infuriated with the Democrats and big unions going along with it in the name of "social justice". Immigration is fine if the country actually needs them.

Watch these scumbag lawyers instruct companies on how to get around hiring Americans so they can get cheap H-1B workers:

by Anonymousreply 6504/14/2013

[quote]160k + whatever his company takes as a commission to provide his services

OP, welcome back! Thanks for sharing news and views.

I wonder if you know how much your company charges for you? I know we pay like $60/hour for accounting temps who make less than $20/hour.

If it's a lot more than you get, does it make you a little bitter?

by Anonymousreply 6704/14/2013

[quote]Does your room have heating or cooling?

Think a structure that can collapse. All tiny unites with 3/4 walls a tent roof and yes doors to the outside, but the canvas can fold and the walls collapse, all on joints. There was a system for heating/cooling but it did not work well.

What do you have for getting news? Satellite tv and radio.

Is there a camp newspaper? No.

Does the camp have a TV/radio station or a system to download from satellite to get to personal radios or TVs? We had tv's and radios and yes satellite.

Do you feel that you're far removed from everything in the U.S., or do you have ways to keep up? I felt FAR removed.

by Anonymousreply 6804/15/2013

R50 I did not state how many of the VD tests were positive, only that I did a lot of testing. Every man was tested when he came back from leave.

by Anonymousreply 6904/15/2013

R54 no, I did not join the military nor did I see an ad.

I was recruited by an agency out of London.

by Anonymousreply 7004/15/2013

R61 and 62 it has nothing to do with Amerians who want jobs, it has to do with pay rates and unions.

Pay in the states is rarely amazing, that's part of why I left.

by Anonymousreply 7104/15/2013

R63 the internet exists, I did not meant for you to think it did not.

We had it, but on shared computers so there was not time for aimless web playing and DL.

In the cites of Afghanistan you will find cyber cafes'.

by Anonymousreply 7204/15/2013

DADT is gone. Are you out?

by Anonymousreply 7404/15/2013

Corporations have destroyed our country and there is no getting it back.

by Anonymousreply 7504/15/2013

R 74 I was a private contractor so DADT never applied to me.

Most of the contractors like men, whether exclusively or in situational arenas.

It is understood that access to women will not be frequent and even those tough soldiers of fortune have to be fine with that.

by Anonymousreply 7604/15/2013

SAST is applied to the military. OP works for a private contractor. It's my understanding that while the law has changed, it will take hearts & minds a little longer, especially as we bump up the chain of command. My suspicion, OP is that even among private contractors one exercises care and discretion, right?

Also,OP I've read so much about extremes of weather in Afghanistan I wonder that you can stand it. Also, how did you deal with everyday needs? Doing laundry, personal care items ? Did your corporate entity have a commisary or did you go to the military commisary?

Was there ever any sentiment expressed about the gradual troop withdrawals, or whether anyone has confidence that Afghanistan will ever be self governing, or will the Taliban come back in full force and just take over?

Obviously, if our troops are withdrawn, there might be a continuing need for the "private contractors" to "maintain a presence."

by Anonymousreply 7704/15/2013

R77 Care and discretion....I guess that no one runs around shouting it from rooftops but I never felt like I had to lie either.

I would say most of the men knew who the others were who would be with men. I can't tell you how many were bi in that situation as I honestly don't know. I did not run around peering into bunks, but male on male love, bonding and sex were pretty much accepted as facts of military life.

The weather there is NUTS and there were a few nights when my heating system was not working well enough and I had to bunk in the barracks as they had a much better structure.

My office quarters/exam room was a more permanent structure and insulated so I was very comfortable when working. It was attached to the sick bay, but I never wanted to sleep there. It was rare that anyone spent the night in sick bay and I had to sleep in the office.

It is all about money and oil, likely the Taliban will come back and take over, once we get what we want we will be gone and there will only be contractors if there is a benefit for our Corporacracy.

by Anonymousreply 7804/15/2013

R79 why would they? Whores are everywhere...why recruit?

by Anonymousreply 8004/15/2013

R81 Why would it matter whether or not a whore ate corn?

Russian prostitutes are everywhere even in Afghanistan, not in the same numbers as Dubai but they are there.

Sex in Muslim countries is openly ignored. If I see nothing and say nothing then nothing exists.

by Anonymousreply 8204/15/2013

This is very interesting. I've been an NP for three and a half years in the US and have constant job offers streaming in.

My brother also did two tours in the last four years- one in Iraq and one in Afghanistan and my partner's son is in Afghanistan now and both have always had internet access.

Do you mean, OP, that you chose not to engage in accessing the internet while overseas? And I don't understand why you couldn't find a job as an NP in the US unless there was some kind of restriction on your license.

by Anonymousreply 8304/15/2013

The video at R65 is one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen. The enthusiasm to rip off Americans. BY a so-called American!

by Anonymousreply 8404/15/2013

R83 I have stated MORE THAN ONCE I had internet access.

We did not have WIRELESS internet access for use on personal devices.

I used a shared computer and other than Facebook and e mail I spent little personal time on it.

What was I not clear about?

by Anonymousreply 8504/15/2013

R83 are you an idiot?

He said

[quote][R17] We did have internet but I used a computer tied to the military mainframe. EVERY site I would go to was printed out with my ID and could be questioned.

What about that lead you to think he had not internet?

Reading comprehension issues?

by Anonymousreply 8604/15/2013

I gchat with friends serving in Afghanistan all the time. They get regular access. I never asked if it was in a computer lab or not. They do love watchng pirated movies. Some people have huge collections of torrents on external hard drives they pass around.

by Anonymousreply 8704/15/2013

OP, what about The Gay Thing? Didn't they ask- or didn't you tell?

by Anonymousreply 8804/15/2013

R83 is one of the jealous queens who is determined to punch holes in any OP's story when a thread gets a lot of positive attention. They sit there waiting to pounce with an elaborate scenario accusation.

I'm always interested to see where and how people are getting communications via satellite in various countries. A few years ago, I was involved with an around the world trip that was measuring the footprints of satellites. We were checking for civilian (TV, radio, and phone service) and military communications.

by Anonymousreply 8904/15/2013

R83 at three years I had job offers, at close to 20 they were afraid they would have to pay me too much.

Things change.

I don't want to get all nasty about this internet situation but I think I have been clear.

Some camps have 'broadcast' internet and personal devices are used to chat, facebook, even webcam.

Some camps do not, we have mainframe. It depends on where you are located and how your internet is accessed be it satellite or tied into a local system.

I had mainframe access, I was careful with my usage, since as a contractor I had a code of conduct that I was expected to adhere to.

by Anonymousreply 9004/15/2013

R87 you are right about torrents.

Though if any were downloaded at my camp it was likely done at off hours or overnight but there were some massive collections on external discs that were watched and shared.

Some of the men had porn collections that were astonishing. Others American tv.

by Anonymousreply 9104/15/2013

R88 go back and read, he already covered that topic.

by Anonymousreply 9204/15/2013

OP/R90, don't worry about it. From time to time, we get a Sherlock Holmes wannabe on here and he just gets a bit carried away. We get the idea.

by Anonymousreply 9304/16/2013

I like that, Sherlock Holmes wannabee.

Soon off to France for a few weeks. I am re-upping and will be at a different camp this time. I will be working with officers and enlisted.

Sticking with this paid off, I am headed to Germany.

by Anonymousreply 9404/16/2013

OP, now that you're familiar with the system, do you get a choice of which camp you'll go to or do you just go where they assign you without consultation?

by Anonymousreply 9504/16/2013

You get no choices until you have 5 years and then you may be offered limited choices.

I've no idea how I lucked out getting Germany, this is really a retreat in comparison.

My performance reviews were top notch, but I am still a little high from the assignment.

by Anonymousreply 9604/16/2013

You really did luck out with Germany. I was stationed in Stuttgart; very central for travel all over Europe. Driving at 120 on the Autobahn, you get up early on your day off and in a short time can be off to France, Austria, Switzerland, etc. I was assigned a car with unlimited milage so that was a plus, but rail transportation in Germany is excellent, too.

by Anonymousreply 9704/16/2013

Unfortunately I am not assigned a car. I know I will get a big housing upgrade, possibly even a private bath.

I can't wait to have a sausage and beer.

by Anonymousreply 9804/16/2013

Some of the military bases in Europe have car rental offices with good rates, so you can look into that for some special trips. Still, you'll find rail transportation will get you around with ease.

by Anonymousreply 9904/16/2013

I am not yet worried about transit, I am sure I will have no problem getting around. 6 days work schedule with two months off, but I can do 12 and take two days off.

I will also not be the only medic on base, there is also an RN and a shared physician, so time off will be easier.

by Anonymousreply 10004/16/2013

Have fun in Germany, OP. I lived there for a few months many years ago. It was great. The public transport is top-notch and everything runs on time.

by Anonymousreply 10104/16/2013

That's not really very much time off, OP. I would question that. People usually get two days off each week, equaling 104 days. Most people get at least two weeks of vacation, equaling 10 days. Add to that holidays, personal days, sick days, etc. most people have at least 130 days off each year. Even without holidays, etc., the total of weekend plus vacation totals 114. You will be getting 112. That's not very generous on their part. of course, the money sounds pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 10204/16/2013

I'm stuck on 3/4 walls. Does this mean that they're 3/4 of a regular 8 ft ceiling?

by Anonymousreply 10304/16/2013

R102 there is nothing to question. My leave is clearly stated in the contract.

by Anonymousreply 10404/16/2013

3/4 like a bathroom stall, with a canvas continuation. They seem higher than 8 feet to me, but I did not measure.

by Anonymousreply 10504/16/2013

Enjoy, OP - it sounds like a great adventure. I often wish in retrospect I'd done something a bit more portable for a career, like you did.

If it doesn't sound exhausting, you might consider setting up a blog while you're off so that you can make the best use of your limited internet access and keep posted those of us who would be interested in your experiences.

by Anonymousreply 10604/16/2013

R106 I doubt my access will be limited in Germany, I expect to have wireless there but I won't likely blog.

It would be hard not to mention specifics about patient interactions accidentally and that would not be cool.

I may or may not check in with DL, now that I've paid 18 bucks I likely will but in the future anonymous. Identified and authenticated are killed around here.

by Anonymousreply 10704/16/2013

I can't blame you for not wanting to be authenticated generally. But it would be great if you'd stop in occasionally and start a thread like this, just so we can keep up!

by Anonymousreply 10804/16/2013

R108 The moment I did some asshole would come on and start with OP is also R3 on the thread about rice wine and he is an idiot etc.

Some of the people here are way cool, but others are nutcase stalkers.

by Anonymousreply 10904/16/2013

Having a blog doesn't mean it has to be public and contain notes on every thing you see or do all day long.

If you just put blog entries on some of the unique things that you experience during off duty time, new foods you try, places you visit, and sights you see during off duty time, you'll realize its value to you, a few years down the road.

by Anonymousreply 11004/16/2013

Fair enough, OP. I know there are some assholes around here. But maybe you could stop by occasionally from a different computer so they can't stalk you? I've enjoyed your tales and would like to hear you are well.

by Anonymousreply 11104/16/2013

R110 I keep a diary. I do realize the value, I just don't currently share it.

R111 maybe, however if it is anything like before stuff like this fades from my mind when away.

by Anonymousreply 11204/16/2013

Your first assignment after you get settled is to meet single guys who own cars over there.

by Anonymousreply 11304/18/2013

[quote]I'm always interested to see where and how people are getting communications via satellite in various countries.

Slightly OT, but I've encountered relatively high-speed Internet access in parts of the world you'd least expect, e.g. on a ship traveling halfway between Tierra del Fuego and Antarctica. It's also becoming more and more routine to have wi-fi on lengthy international plane flights (and also domestically, particularly on Southwest).

by Anonymousreply 11404/18/2013

Perhaps strong signals are beamed into that region due to all the scientific research and testing by many nations in Antarctica. The weakest signals are from south of Hawaii thru Kiribati to New Caledonia. You get high-speed access thru the Str. of Magellan, probably due to nearness of Antarctica.

by Anonymousreply 11504/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.