Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

the opposite of love is indifference

by Anonymousreply 5709/29/2013

Yeah, I think this is so, OP.

If you hate someone, that takes effort and brain power.

Never thinking about them is the ultimate expression of anti-love.

by Anonymousreply 104/12/2013

I thought the opposite of love was hate.

by Anonymousreply 204/12/2013

The opposite of love is DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 304/12/2013

There's a thin line between love and hate. Both are miles from indifference.

by Anonymousreply 404/12/2013

I disagree.

I don't hate Republicans because I really love them. That's just ridiculous. And it would be stupid and self-defeating to be indifferent to them.

by Anonymousreply 504/13/2013

When I'm on my death bed, and my life is flashing before my won't even cross my mind.

Julie Christie to George C. Scott in "Petulia"

by Anonymousreply 604/13/2013

Well, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 704/13/2013

r6 In the story of my life you'll barely get a mention...

by Anonymousreply 804/13/2013

The total ABSENCE of love is indicated by indifference. But I'm not sure that's the same as the "opposite." The total opposite of fiery love is fiery hate, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 904/13/2013

True. When you love someone, you cant help that, it comes natural and you cant stop thinking about them. Indifference would be the opposite of that. Hate, you actually have to make an effort to feel that emotion. You have to think about why you hate that person.

by Anonymousreply 1004/13/2013

I dont uderstand how someone can claim to love another person...have a relationship with another person...marry another person...whatever...yet claim to be indifferent. Are they just lying to themselves to cover their own emotions ?, or are they playing the indifference game knowing it will hurt the other person more ?

by Anonymousreply 1104/13/2013

The opposite of love is hate.

by Anonymousreply 1204/13/2013

"I wouldn't cross the street to spit in his hair!"--Carla, CHEERS

by Anonymousreply 1304/13/2013

Hmm, and noone's said this: there are two basic emotions. Love and fear. There are many faces of fear, of course. If it's not love, it's a face of fear.

How does a human become have the capacity for indifference in the first place? Hmm?

by Anonymousreply 1404/13/2013

Aww, but Carla did love NIck so the joke is on you.

by Anonymousreply 1504/13/2013

I have always heard that indifference crap and never believed it but I think I am starting to. I really hated my ex and wanted to set his head on fire, I did. I wished that I had murdered him while I had the chance. Fast forward to now and I don't even care enough about him to wish that he had a pick axe through his spinal column. I'm over it.

by Anonymousreply 1604/13/2013

Love and fear are the only human emotions?

by Anonymousreply 1704/13/2013

r15, r11 make my point perfectly...can anyone elaborate ?

by Anonymousreply 1804/13/2013

R17, obviously not in the subtleties. But if you look at life through the lens of love, everything that prevents your ability to love or to make choices based in love, comes from fear. it's simpler to just break it down as love and fear.

by Anonymousreply 1904/13/2013

Well I guess what that means is that you must let someone go, like you never even knew them, like that shit Gotye song. We can watch and read stories about people and wish them well or not, we don't know them. Once you have met someone it's hard to be objective about them. You will always think that they got what they deserved or however it plays out. To not know someone is to truly wish them the best or the worst. You have to go back in your mind to when you didn't know them and judge them like that.

by Anonymousreply 2004/13/2013

Yes it is. That's why many of you end up alone. You don't give a fuck about other people's opinion. You just are complacent with your own point of view.

by Anonymousreply 2109/27/2013

That's what I've always said OP. Hatred is too strong an emotion, say, for an ex-boyfriend. You are truly over someone when you don't give a shit anymore. Alive, dead, you simply don't care.

by Anonymousreply 2209/27/2013

R21=baaaah baaaah baaaah.

by Anonymousreply 2309/27/2013

I indifferent you from the bottom of my heart, OP.

And, no. The opposite of love is love. The opposite of knowing one embodies love is not knowing one embodies love. Get my inevitability and immanence right and you'll see.

by Anonymousreply 2409/27/2013

R24 that was too vague to be emotionally sincere...

I appreciate your mind games though...

by Anonymousreply 2509/27/2013

The opposite of caring is not caring. Not caring is a synonym for indifference. Love and caring are not synonyms. Indeed, hate is caring too. The opposite of love is not loving. Hate is not the opposite of love, and we can love and hate someone at the same time, as often happens in the real world. Love and hate are different phenomena affecting different parts of the brain. They are "opposite" indifference in that both imply caring, but there is much caring which is not love and "indifference" when it comes to social relations is almost always a lie. Nobody is really indifferent to others, regardless what they say.

by Anonymousreply 2609/27/2013

Well I knew I was truly over my ex when I was no longer angry at him or wished bad karma on him. Once the things he said and did no longer hot to me in any way I knew I was free. Hating someone gives them a LOT of space I your psyche.

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

John is still a cunt, though.

by Anonymousreply 2809/27/2013

Indifference is the most horrible thing in the world, Armand. I’ve done everything I could to make myself attractive for you. I’ve lost and gained over a hundred pounds in the last year. I’ve yo-yo’d from a 16 to a 10 to a 16 and you’ve never said a word. Not one hint of encouragement, not one scrap of validation. If it wasn’t for the pirin tablets I don’t think I could go on.

by Anonymousreply 2909/27/2013

LOL R29.

"Eez jus' an aspareen wid de "s" ascratched off"

by Anonymousreply 3009/27/2013

by Anonymousreply 3109/27/2013

The person who cares THE LEAST, controls the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 3209/27/2013

The Truth Fairy, what you say is only half true cause it doesn't apply to each case.

We all affect each other, nobody can control everything in a person. The person who cares the most in a relationship can deeply affect the other person. All are changeable, there is no guarantee. It's all about circumstances and precious moments. It's not all only about who is stronger and who is weaker with their love.

by Anonymousreply 3309/27/2013

I don't know if indifference is the opposite of love, i think it's not even that. It's just chaos and a numb hell. It's close to nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3409/27/2013

It sure feels that way to me when I'm on the "indifferent" side of the relationship.

by Anonymousreply 3509/27/2013

The Truth Fairy is always about Power and Control. How I HATE the Truth Fairy. Everything is a competition, a hierarchy, a caste!

by Anonymousreply 3609/27/2013

If you used to have romantic feelings for a person, indifference is indeed the opposite.

'Hating' someone who dumped or rejected you is a sympton of major frustration on your part: when everything else has failed, anger and aggresion is, for some people, the only way they can get their (still) loved one's attention. Or maybe they think hating is the way to go in order for them to stop caring about someone.

When there's no love involved, f.i. you hate a person (stranger) who has killed a loved one of yours, it's more correct to say that hate is the opposite of indifference, since indifference is what most people feel toward strangers or (vague) acquaintances.

There are also people who hate other people for no real valid or understandable reason, but that's whole other subject.

by Anonymousreply 3709/27/2013

Yes, it's the truth, r36. As much as we'd like to pretend otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 3809/27/2013

[quote]'Hating' someone who dumped or rejected you is a sympton of major frustration on your part . . .

YES! So very true. I hate that feeling of frustration and not understanding what went wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3909/27/2013

In a two way relationship, indifference is more painful and cutting than hate.

by Anonymousreply 4009/27/2013

ITA, r40. I'm getting that now and, even though I know it's his usual MO (even with his friends), it still hurts.

by Anonymousreply 4109/27/2013

The point about hatred though (or very strong aversion) is that you don't have a choice about it: it isn't willed, or exaggerated, but created by the other.

All very well to say the disliked party has 'won' when he/she takes up space in your head, but willed indifference (oxymoron?) in such a case takes energy, negative energy, and works imperfectly.

This for me links to the 'Intensely disliking someone my friends like' thread. In my case it's someone married into the family whom I can't stand to be around. I wish I could be genuinely indifferent about it.

by Anonymousreply 4209/28/2013

[quote]I don't hate Republicans because I really love them.

No one is saying love and hate are the same. That's clearly absurd. But in terms of passion, intensity, physical responses and crazy-making they are remarkably similar.

Indifference is the opposite of both.

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2013

The OP didn't bring up hate. Hate takes a great deal of passion, and, in contrast, indifference is the epitome of the lack thereof. I'd have to agree, whole heartedly, that indifference is the opposite of Love.

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

It doesn't have to be truth fairy, it only is because YOU MAKE IT SO.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013

It's impossible to be indifferent to Republicans, because they are out to hurt us if we do nothing.

by Anonymousreply 4609/28/2013

The empty eye

by Anonymousreply 4709/28/2013

The opposite of love is a restraining order and getting to laugh when you see him picking up trash on the median strip when he violates it.

by Anonymousreply 4809/28/2013

Thank you for those sage words Willem Belli.

by Anonymousreply 4909/28/2013

No. Hate is the opposite of love and indifference is midway between them.

by Anonymousreply 5009/28/2013

Hate means at least you still have some regard for something instead of viewing it as something that may as well not even exist.

by Anonymousreply 5109/28/2013

To me indifference is not an emotion, so hate would be the opposite of love

by Anonymousreply 5209/28/2013

Wow, R42 is completely fucked up AND deluded.

I hope you're under 21, R42; otherwise, there's no hope for you.

by Anonymousreply 5309/28/2013

I see a lot of people who wrap themselves in a cloak of detachment or "indifference"(visit any gay bar in your area) but in reality I think most of it is a preemptive defense against or evasion of the possibility of rejection.

True indifference has no intent, it's simply just doesn't notice particular things.

However, if one is only acting or otherwise AWARE of being indifferent...i.e. shunning,ignoring or resorting to "the silent treatment" in order to achieve some sort of punitive or self-protective effect(sometimes concurrently) one is still very much being ruled by ones emotions.

by Anonymousreply 5409/28/2013

So much of hate is really just wanting to love but CAN'T because of someone else's beliefs,attitudes and behavior.

Of course there are many who hate others for reasons those people can't help....and THAT kind of hate is the most vile.

by Anonymousreply 5509/28/2013

whatever. I really don't care.

by Anonymousreply 5609/29/2013

The opposite of love is viscous face slapping.

by Anonymousreply 5709/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!