Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rick Warren’s son killed himself with unregistered gun he bought online

Friday, April 12, 2013

Controversial megachurch pastor Rick Warren revealed via Twitter on Thursday that his 27-year-old son Matthew committed suicide with an unregistered weapon that he had purchased online. According to the Daily Mail, Warren, who has been tweeting regular updates about his grieving process, said that he forgives whoever sold his son the weapon.

“Someone on the internet sold Matthew an unregistered gun,” the pastor tweeted. “I pray he seeks God’s forgiveness. I forgive him. #MATTHEW 6:15.” Warren paraphrased the cited verse in a following tweet, “If you forgive men when they sin against you, your Heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you don’t…”

Orange County Sheriff’s Department spokesperson Jim Amormino confirmed that the gun’s serial number has been scratched off, a crime under California law, as is selling a firearm without performing a background check.

Warren’s church, the Saddleback Valley Community Church, released a statement on Saturday saying that Matthew Warren had committed suicide after experiencing “a momentary wave of despair at home.” Matthew, who was Pastor Warren’s youngest child, had wrestled with depression and mental illness for many years.

Warren’s bestselling book, The Purpose-Driven Life, has sold more than 32 million copies since its release in 2002. The pastor was a vocal supporter of Proposition 8, the 2008 California voter initiative that defined marriage as being between a man and a woman, although he later denied any involvement.

by Anonymousreply 1504/12/2013

If he hadn't used a gun, he would have found some other way to off himself.

by Anonymousreply 104/12/2013

I thought he killed himself in a momentary fit of depression? That must have been some quick shipping!

by Anonymousreply 204/12/2013

This really seems to have been great publicity for Warren. How fortunate for him.

by Anonymousreply 304/12/2013

It was his Second Amendment Right.

by Anonymousreply 404/12/2013

What the fuck does it matter that the gun was unregistered and bought online? Do people think he wouldn't have killed himself otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 504/12/2013

R5 = NRA

by Anonymousreply 604/12/2013

Bingo, R2!

by Anonymousreply 704/12/2013

Rick Warren killed his own son with vile hatred of others.

by Anonymousreply 804/12/2013

"Someone on the internet sold Matthew an unregistered gun"?

No. Matthew went on the internet and bought an unregistered gun. Why does he need to be so passive in the way he's constructing the narrative?

I'd like to know exactly what happened on the alleged "fun" evening Matthew had with his parents.

by Anonymousreply 904/12/2013

On the "fun" evening, Matthew knew he had the gun and knew he was going to be doing it. Warren is trying to paint this as a spur-of-the-moment bad decision, but it's clear that it was something he was planning on and knowing that everything was in place and he had a way out made him relax enough that Warren noticed the difference.

I've been to pretty much the darkest place possible, so I understand the urge to do that. I have nothing but compassionate thoughts for Matthew Warren and while I think it's a tragedy, I understand it and am thankful that as low as I've gotten I've never quite gotten to the point of genuinely planning my exit.

But Rick Warren? The asshole who has used his position of power to demonize and sow hate against an already-at-risk group? There's some dramatic irony here that the man who did so much to foster and normalize an environment of driving young people to suicide saw it happen to his own family.

We didn't declare war on him - he declared it on us. He is our enemy - he deserves nothing but our scorn and condemnation. Once again, a right winger only cares about an issue when it touches their own lives, but never before. Where was his compassion toward parents with suicidal gay children before all this? Nowhere, he used his pulpit to aggressively campaign for Prop 8, just for example.

The right wing counts on our "decency" to lay low when they suffer a tragedy, and we play into that. But there is nothing wrong in feeling good about a knock to our enemy. Matthew Warren was not our enemy and it sounds like his life was a sad and dark place, and for that I feel nothing but compassion and sympathy. But his asshole father who trades in driving his enemies to suicidal depression? He's getting nothing less than what he absolutely deserves and I feel no shame in saying it.

by Anonymousreply 1004/12/2013

I love you, R10. You know your shit.

My favorite line is the part where Rick Warren FORGIVES the seller of the gun. Oh, so selling guns is something that warrants forgiveness. Innnnteresting.

by Anonymousreply 1104/12/2013

It will be interesting to see if Warren will speak out on the regulation of gun sales after this. If he does, it could hurt the NRA's position that NO GUN SALE MUST BE REGULATED EVER.

by Anonymousreply 1204/12/2013

Has Rick mentioned how sorry he's going to be since his son is now in Hell because he took his own life and he won't be reunited with him in Heaven? I mean, that what Evangelical Pastors preach, right?

by Anonymousreply 1304/12/2013

I also love R10's post and I agree Rick Warren deserves what he is getting.

by Anonymousreply 1404/12/2013

p;

by Anonymousreply 1504/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!