Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lucille Ball "It was STUPID to say no to Klute"

‘Klute’ — I turned that down because my husband Gary Morton didn’t want me to play a high-priced call girl onscreen, even though the role won an Oscar,”

Ms. Ball said of Jane Fonda’s turn in the Alan J. Pakula classic. “It was stupid to say no to those pictures.”

“As an actor you’re supposed to take jobs that will challenge you or force fans to see you in a different light. By the ’60s and '70s I wasn’t really an actor anymore. I was someone who got locked into giant bank safes with Mr. Mooney. I got so far away from what they told you in acting class: Do something different. Producers kept offering me the ‘Change of Habit’ movie opposite Elvis, but Gary said, ‘Your fans don’t want to see you in a wimple.’

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2013

LOL

by Anonymousreply 104/12/2013

next up - Roz Russell on turning down 'Belle du Jour'

by Anonymousreply 204/12/2013

Honey, Gary knew that nobody wanted to see those naked ancient titties flashed 30 feet high and 90 feet wide. He was doing us all a favor.

by Anonymousreply 304/12/2013

RASPBERRIES!

by Anonymousreply 404/12/2013

Say what you will about Gary, but he was smart to talk Lucy out of replacing Sean Connery in On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

by Anonymousreply 504/12/2013

She would have been BRILLIANT in "Change of Habit." Think of what we've lost. DAMN YOU, GARY!

by Anonymousreply 604/12/2013

Imagine what she could have done with a Bergman or Rossellini film. She would have redefined world cinema!

by Anonymousreply 704/12/2013

Last year Jerry Lewis admitted that had Lucy taken The Day the Clown Cried, it would be a beloved classic today. His damned ego wouldn't accept that Lucille Ball was born to play that role, not Jerry.

by Anonymousreply 804/12/2013

Did Gary Morton "wisely" persuade her to turn it down?

by Anonymousreply 904/12/2013

What happened to your website with bogus stories about Lucy called "I Loathe Lucy"?

by Anonymousreply 1004/12/2013

Did Lucy know that Gary Morton was a drunk who frequented hookers?

by Anonymousreply 1104/12/2013

Lucy, you've had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 1204/12/2013

I remember that in an interview Lucy rued the fact that she turned down the lead in "Body Heat".

I think that the movie-going public was really cheated.

by Anonymousreply 1304/12/2013

It's common knowledge in Hollywood that Lucille Ball was offered the part of James West in The Wild Wild West, but turned it down because she never liked doing her own stunts.

by Anonymousreply 1404/12/2013

Unidentified studio sources for "Herbie The Love Bug" still claim Lucy was in the lead to play Herbie until just before preproduction...

by Anonymousreply 1504/12/2013

Gary probably did propose this 'wisely"; but Lucy would be too self-centered and needy to have recognized the wisdom of his decision.

In all seriousness: I remember toward the end of her life she got the Hasty Pudding Award at Harvard that they normally give to actresses who are currently on the top of their game, and she just leaped at it like a shark to the chum. She was quoted as saying to the press something like, "This is one of the big prizes and I've never won it! Of course I'm accepting it! Gladly!" She was practically drooling at the prospect.

by Anonymousreply 1604/12/2013

She would have brought so much to the Eleanor of Aquitane role in The Lion in Winter.

"Of course he has a knife. He’s always has a knife. We all have knives. It’s 1183 and we’re barbarians. How clear we make it.

Oh, my piglets, we are the origins of war — not history’s forces, nor the times, nor justice, nor the lack of it, nor causes, nor religions, nor ideas, nor kinds of government, nor any other thing.

We are the killers.

We breed wars.

We carry it like syphilis inside. Dead bodies rot in field and stream because the living ones are rotten."

(Makes spider face) Eewwwwww.

by Anonymousreply 1704/12/2013

It's stupid when these actresses say "The role won an Oscar." Bette Midler said the same thing today in the NYT about Misery. It's not the role it's the actresses who played the role.

by Anonymousreply 1804/12/2013

I wanted to do "The Seven Year Itch" but Desi wouldn't let me. Said he didn't want the whole world looking up my skirt (though he had no problem going up all his whore's skirts).

by Anonymousreply 1904/12/2013

r18 - bless your heart/

by Anonymousreply 2004/12/2013

LOL at r18!

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.