Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What would happen if you lost ALL of your senses?

Suddenly you can't see, hear, feel, taste or smell anything--but you're still conscious. Your reality would consist of nothing but your thoughts, right? Freaks me out when I think about it!

by Anonymousreply 2505/18/2013

It's likely outcome is you would get the Republican nomination in the next primary.

by Anonymousreply 104/11/2013

R1 is awesome. We would have voted W&W, but...

by Anonymousreply 204/11/2013

It's called locked-in syndrome and they made a movie about it: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. At once fascinating and ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 304/12/2013

The guy in The Diving Bell and the Butterfly still had all of his senses. He couldn't speak or move at all.

by Anonymousreply 404/12/2013

What do you mean by can't feel? You can't feel pain, hungry and so on?

by Anonymousreply 504/12/2013

There are people who are born deaf and blind. They are basically with out any chance of learning anything and stay in an "undeveloped" stage all their lives. They know how to form relationships though and with people that have the same disability they form bonds.

Don't know, maybe these people are happier than us seeing and hearing folks. They don't have to put up with a lot of crap, like we do.

by Anonymousreply 604/12/2013

You would be Terri Schiavo.

by Anonymousreply 704/12/2013

You would be a ghost like me.

by Anonymousreply 804/12/2013

Dean Koontz's Sole Survivor has an evil character with this. It's really scary.

by Anonymousreply 904/12/2013

This is why one must have a couple of people in whom you entrust the responsibility of pulling the fucking plug, sticking a bag over your head, doing whatever it is that has to be done.

by Anonymousreply 1004/12/2013

If I copuld find a way,I'd kill myself but first I hope some psycho female with a grudge against men would rape me.

by Anonymousreply 1104/24/2013

Read the old anti war book "Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo.

It's about Joe Bonham, a young soldier serving in World War I, awakens in a hospital bed after being caught in the blast of an exploding artillery shell. He gradually realizes that he has lost his arms, legs, and all of his face (including his eyes, ears, teeth, and tongue), but that his mind functions perfectly, leaving him a prisoner in his own body.

Or if you can find the film it is excellent too.

by Anonymousreply 1204/24/2013

by Anonymousreply 1304/25/2013

[quote]There are people who are born deaf and blind. They are basically with out any chance of learning anything and stay in an "undeveloped" stage all their lives.

That is a really ignorant statement, R6.

by Anonymousreply 1404/25/2013

I'd play a mean pinball.

by Anonymousreply 1504/25/2013

Don't know if this is true but . . .

In 1983, a team of deeply pious scientists conducted a radical experiment in an undisclosed facility. The scientists had theorized that a human without access to any senses or ways to perceive stimuli would be able to perceive the presence of God. They believed that the five senses clouded our awareness of eternity, and without them, a human could actually establish contact with God by thought. An elderly man who claimed to have “nothing to left to live for” was the only test subject to volunteer. To purge him of all his senses, the scientists performed a complex operation in which every sensory nerve connection to the brain was surgically severed. Although the test subject retained full muscular function, he could not see, hear, taste, smell, or feel. With no possible way to communicate with or even sense the outside world, he was alone with his thoughts.

Scientists monitored him as he spoke aloud about his state of mind in jumbled, slurred sentences that he couldn’t even hear. After four days, the man claimed to be hearing hushed, unintelligible voices in his head. Assuming it was an onset of psychosis, the scientists paid little attention to the man’s concerns.

Two days later, the man cried that he could hear his dead wife speaking with him, and even more, he could communicate back. The scientists were intrigued, but were not convinced until the subject started naming dead relatives of the scientists. He repeated personal information to the scientists that only their dead spouses and parents would have known. At this point, a sizable portion of scientists left the study.

After a week of conversing with the deceased through his thoughts, the subject became distressed, saying the voices were overwhelming. In every waking moment, his consciousness was bombarded by hundreds of voices that refused to leave him alone. He frequently threw himself against the wall, trying to elicit a pain response. He begged the scientists for sedatives, so he could escape the voices by sleeping. This tactic worked for three days, until he started having severe night terrors. The subject repeatedly said that he could see and hear the deceased in his dreams.

Only a day later, the subject began to scream and claw at his nonfunctional eyes, hoping to sense something in the physical world. The hysterical subject now said the voices of the dead were deafening and hostile, speaking of hell and the end of the world. At one point, he yelled “No heaven, no forgiveness” for five hours straight. He continually begged to be killed, but the scientists were convinced that he was close to establishing contact with God.

After another day, the subject could no longer form coherent sentences. Seemingly mad, he started to bite off chunks of flesh from his arm. The scientists rushed into the test chamber and restrained him to a table so he could not kill himself. After a few hours of being tied down, the subject halted his struggling and screaming. He stared blankly at the ceiling as teardrops silently streaked across his face. For two weeks, the subject had to be manually rehydrated due to the constant crying. Eventually, he turned his head and, despite his blindness, made focused eye contact with a scientist for the first time in the study. He whispered “I have spoken with God, and he has abandoned us” and his vital signs stopped. There was no apparent cause of death.

by Anonymousreply 1604/26/2013

That is not, I believe, founded in fact.

by Anonymousreply 1704/26/2013

And in the movie version of r16's story, the old man was played by lovably grumpy Walter Mathau.

With Ann Margaret as Dr. Brigid Goodbody.

by Anonymousreply 1804/26/2013

That's one hell of a story r16.

by Anonymousreply 1904/26/2013

Yeah, everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at his rear end.

by Anonymousreply 2004/26/2013

Good read, none the less.

by Anonymousreply 2104/26/2013

Why didn't I think of that pinball line?I've got all the Tommy albums and the Who.

by Anonymousreply 2204/27/2013

Ewan McGregor and Eva Green were in a movie ("Perfect Sense") where a mysterious epidemic deprives human beings of their senses, one by one, starting with hearing. People cope and try to help each other, but when the last sense goes, everyone is doomed. I found it terrifying to contemplate being unable to communicate with people by sound or sight...people would be reduced to groping through a landscape in the dark trying to locate other people by touch.

The loss of smell and taste seemed trivial next to that kind of isolation.

by Anonymousreply 2304/28/2013

R16's story is religious bilge, the kind of Facebook story that comforts housewives in Kansas. Of course it's false.

by Anonymousreply 2405/18/2013

"He whispered 'I have spoken with God, and he has abandoned us' and his vital signs stopped. There was no apparent cause of death."

Since 'God' doesn't make any regular appearances, this shouldn't be such a frightening prospect. I'll never understand why some people are so afraid of a world without deity.

"...but the scientists were convinced that he was close to establishing contact with God."

No. Science and the supernatural are firmly opposed; the scientists could not have credibly believed that 'God' was being contacted in such a fashion.

by Anonymousreply 2505/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!