Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Psychiatric hospitalization: ever checked yourself in?

A friend of mine checked himself into the hospital last week. He was having some bad anxiety issues. We all knew he was having a hard time bit none of us knew it was that bad. Apparently he'd been seeing a therapist and scheduled an appt. with his doc for some meds but couldn't wait that long.

I find the worse people are, the less likely they are to tell their friends or ask for help. I'm glad he's taking care of himself but now I'm wondering if there's more I could have done.

If you've ever been in that kind of condition, what did you need? Did you even know?

by Anonymousreply 3604/12/2013

In 2008 i lost my job and was unemployed for several months. Lots of stress and anxiety then depression set in. I checked into a psych hospital feeling suicidal. I spent 8 days there among ppl who have some very serious mental problems. It didnt take long for me to realize i have my crap together and was just going thru a rough time. Overall it did help me. It took a few more months to find full time enployment but i did. I still have occasional bouts of anxiety and depression but isnt that part of life?

by Anonymousreply 104/11/2013

r1. What did you need from your friends after you got out? Or did you just want to be left alone?

by Anonymousreply 204/11/2013

It seems like the least theraputic place in the world is a mental hospital.

by Anonymousreply 304/11/2013

I told a few friends about my stay and really all i wanted was just to be able to talk about my experience in there without feeling judged or that i was crazy. My friends were pretty good about it all and supportive. Just be supportive of ur friend that ur there no matter what. Personally speaking i was alot stronger both mentally and emotionally when i got outta there. Hope your friend is too.

by Anonymousreply 404/11/2013

Been there, doing that.

by Anonymousreply 504/11/2013

every weekend

by Anonymousreply 604/11/2013

R6, I did think you were good in Mean Girls.

by Anonymousreply 704/11/2013

I have been thinking about it. I have always had mild depression. I have always been 'off'. Kids thought that I was retarded in elementary school. I was actually in gifted classes, so I am not stupid. I drank my way through high school and college, in an attempt to be normal. I drink at night to sleep, but even when I don't drink for weeks I have no short term memory, jumble words, and can't deal with people. I always say things that piss people off. I have 'crazy eyes'. I adopted my cousins child six years ago, to keep her out of foster care. She is the only reason that I am alive. I feel like I don't fit in this world, but she needs me. I cannot abandon her, but I can't live like this either. I honestly don't know if psychiatric drugs/care will help, since I have always been this way. I worry because now neighbors wont et their kids come to our house to play...they think that I am on drugs. I swear, I have never taken a drug in my life. It is some psychological issue, I just dont know what.

by Anonymousreply 804/11/2013

You're basically coerced into checking yourself in. It's the better deal and the hospital prefers it for legal reasons. That said, the times I was coerced I eventually saw the wisdom of taking a time out from life to get some perspective.

While your medication is being set it's best that you have access to onsite care in case you have a bad reaction to the drug.

I wish I had a caring friend who would be as supportive as you come across. Most people don't have that. Please visit your friend when permitted and let them know you care. Most people freak out or are concerned but don't tell the person who is sick. They don't want to intrude and pray for you or something equally meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 904/11/2013

About 10 yrs ago, I was driving on the freeway, and started shaking, couldn't breathe, and felt like I was going to pass out. I had no clue what it was, but it kept happening. So I went to the Dr. He prescribed a bunch of meds for sinus infection and vertigo. I knew it wasn't the problem. I looked for psychiatrists in the yellow pages. Went in, she said you have panic disorder. Gave me medication for it. I'm fine. But if you don't get help it can turn your damn life upside down. I didn't want to be one of those people who don't come out of the house. And that would have happened if I didn't get help as soon as I did. That Dr. pretty much saved my life. As far as telling people, I've had a pharmacist tell me it's mind over matter, (it's not) and my mom didn't get it either. So now I just go with claustrophobic. It works in most situations.

by Anonymousreply 1004/11/2013

I signed myself into to Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic when I was 16 (for a medication adjustment). I was there a couple of weeks. I used that time to plan my unsuccessful suicide later that year. After that attempt, I spent five weeks in the local hospital's mental health unit. When I was 19 or 20, I again signed myself to that local hospital but left after two days against medical advice. I don't know where I am going with this other than that sometimes it is good to get away in a place like that.

by Anonymousreply 1104/11/2013

I checked myself in 7 months ago after trying to kill myself. I daw the white light and stopped before God could start that cliche about it not being my time. I've suffered on and off from major depressive disorder and social anxiety disorders and then the perfect storm hit all at once with my relationships, job, and financial problems. I was in there for three weeks. I'm glad I checked myself in. I really learned who did and didn't care about me from the experience though.

by Anonymousreply 1204/11/2013

This isn't a joke, R12 - Was covering your rent an issue when you were "inside"? That kind of material threat keeps a lot of people from stopping and getting their mental health back, or resisting suicide.

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2013

A few years ago I had a complete breakdown so I drove myself to the emergency room. They took one look at me and asked if I felt like I needed to be admitted to the mental ward of the hospital. I said I did and spent a week there, didn't really help at all. My insurance carrier told me I couldn't stay longer and paid for a day treatment program at a local mental health facility.

My son though is schizophrenic and has been hospitalized at least a dozen times for everything from suicide attempts to bulimia in the last 6 years. Private hospitals (he's on Medicaid) are great and he got a lot of help. The state mental health agency was not so great but at the time he was so violent to himself he had to go into a complete lockdown facility.

Bottom line is that if you need the help a hospital can help. They are good for a rest and get away from it all but they are also very boring and groups can be sort of stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1404/11/2013

If anyone is interested in learning about treating your brain without meds or to help your meds work better this is a great book to start with.

Studies tracking outcomes of people over the last thirty years, since prozac and the rest became such a big thing, have found that people who take psych meds are twice as likely to end up on mental disability than those who take nothing. The percentage of people on mental disability has skyrocketed during this same period.

Meds are often needed in situations but compared to Finland, who uses them as a last resort and sparingly, we have much worse outcomes.

Psychiatrists are not trained to find out what biological problems may be causing your symptoms. Nor are they trained in nutrition so it's best to do your own research or find an integrative doc who can help.

My sister told me she started taking antidepressants. I got her to go take some tests and read some books on the subject. There were some health issues her psychiatrist missed. She changed her diet and took some basic supplements she was low in and after a couple months she is off the drugs and sleeping well, has energy, less anxiety and lost weight. It's great to see her happy again.

Good luck to your friend and to all of you looking for some peace.

by Anonymousreply 1504/11/2013

r15 is another one who thinks you can cure your suicidal depression with organic sweet potatoes and Basmati rice! Tell your mom to treat her breast cancer the same way. What could go wrong!?

by Anonymousreply 1604/12/2013

Major depressive disorder here. Been in psych wards for it three times. Finally got the right meds on the last go.

Psych wards are a shitty place to heal mental illnesses. The can be scary places. And some nurses are just lik the cunt in "Cuckoo's Nest".

And fuck all the anti-psych meds assholes on DL. Those fuckers wouldn't tell a diabetic to go off their meds, but they believe mental illness isn't "real" and think pysch meds are bad. True ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 1704/12/2013

The truth is most psychiatric wards and hospitals are pretty scary places to go. Because the insurance companies don't want to pay for inpatient care, most of these facilites have limited resources for treating all but the most severely ill patients, who often receive substandard care.

If you are in severe crisis, they are appropriate until you are stabilized on the right meds. Then, you want to get of there.

by Anonymousreply 1804/12/2013

they spank you

by Anonymousreply 1904/12/2013

I tried to last year but didn't really know how and took myself to a low income mental health place in downtown LA a friend recommended- the facility was about to close for the night, and also didn't take me seriously, so I didn't stay the night (maybe it was for the best) but I met with a doctor who seemed to not be very qualified and was prescribed what I later learned were the wrong meds. I didn't and still don't have insurance and find it hard to know how to go about getting help. Also what about work, rent, and how to pay for all of it?

by Anonymousreply 2004/12/2013

It was STUPID to say no to Misery

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2013

Three beliefs about God were tested separately to predict five classes of psychiatric symptoms: general anxiety, social anxiety, paranoia, obsession, and compulsion. Belief in a punitive God was positively associated with four psychiatric symptoms, while belief in a benevolent God was negatively associated with four psychiatric symptoms, controlling for demographic characteristics, religiousness, and strength of belief in God. Belief in a deistic God and one's overall belief in God were not significantly related to any psychiatric symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 2204/12/2013

[quote] It seems like the least theraputic place in the world is a mental hospital.

Good, because there are no mental hospitals in the US anymore.

There are only psych units inside of hospitals. Unless you are wealthy and can afford private hospitalization at an "institute."

by Anonymousreply 2304/12/2013

r22 can you lay it out for us "dummies"? I have to work way too hard to glean any knowledge. I love to read and always expect to, until I see the dreaded link.

by Anonymousreply 2404/12/2013

I tried, OP,. I tried many things and was always sent home. My suicidal ideations meant noting to them. They said I should be depressed and it was all normal.

by Anonymousreply 2504/12/2013

R23

That's simply not true. I'm not wealthy and have been hospitalized in a Psych Hospital not a psych ward.

My insurance paid for it just like they would going into a regular hospital for surgery.

I can honestly say I'd be dead now if I hadn't gone into the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 2604/12/2013

It is true that other medical conditions can cause the suicidal type depression, anxiety and panic disorders. Whatever your belief in the efficacy of psych meds anyone who has these symptoms ought to get a major workup including iron, ferritin, B12, and D levels. If you have some non-brain condition causing the problem psych meds (if they work at all) won't help and the other things that might help (exercise/diet etc.) won't be effective either.

But most GPs don't know this.

by Anonymousreply 2804/12/2013

OP, Thanks for your topic.

Depression/anxiety has a stigma and shame attached to it. People don't talk about it because they don't want to lose their friends. Sometimes it's because they don't want to lose their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 2904/12/2013

R9 Most people freak out or are concerned but don't tell the person who is sick. They don't want to intrude and pray for you or something equally meaningless.

Indeed that is the major problem. I have very few friends who understand depression (a few more understand anxiety, it seems). At work it is not much better. I work at a university and a fair proportion of students will either suffer from stress/anxiety or have full-blown very very difficult situations (sometimes those situations are to do with the environment, they are still difficult).

Most of my colleagues have no idea how to deal with a student who is in a seriously difficult situation. These are students we could help, and this is part of our job, but they will run like the plague when they hear a student has been hospitalized long-term (several months) and won't even write to him to send him his notes. Like sending an email will catch the disease.

by Anonymousreply 3004/12/2013

Only during the "R" months.

by Anonymousreply 3104/12/2013

I have. It was a massive mistake. They didn't help me one bit.

by Anonymousreply 3204/12/2013

It can be a mistake to submit yourself in a non-crisis situation to people who have the option of hospitalizing you. The profit motive (or in this case a former fundamentalist minister who was working as a caseworker in a publicly funded clinic), can certainly fuck with you.

The guy stupidly or purposely misinterpreted benign symptoms, and it took an attorney and a former shrink's intervention to prevent hospitalization for what were actually mild to moderate depression and grief symptoms. With this individual, homophobia was clearly involved.

I walked away from this psych clinic, discontinued meds, and started living life again.

by Anonymousreply 3304/12/2013

R27 is right on with R8. Sounds like spectrum. Classic case. Know someone identical and psych meds like Pristique and Zoloft didn't work on him. Realizing he is an Aspie and why he does what he does has straightened him right up. The underlying depression is genetic though.

by Anonymousreply 3404/12/2013

[quote]You're basically coerced into checking yourself in.

Accurate. NEVER go to the emergency room in hopes of just getting prescribed an antidepressant right away, in a case where you don't have a doctor and there aren't any accessible mental health clinics open or nearby (or if they all have far book-outs).

Better safe than sorry, but be sure that you're in crisis. If you're not, being committed for the minimum hold (usually 3 days, and 5 days if you go on Friday) can make your sadness WORSE, and you may get paranoid...and then the staff might question whether you're sane, etc. Especially if it's a poorly-run department with no or little access to therapy or counseling.

by Anonymousreply 3504/12/2013

[quote]Major depressive disorder here. Been in psych wards for it three times. Finally got the right meds on the last go.

What are you taking now?

by Anonymousreply 3604/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.