Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #109: "I'LL EAT YOU FIRST, LAST, AND ALWAYS" Edition

Bette's back! Let's all give her a hand on her big opening!

A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder! The next big thing, or another Death Takes a Holiday?

Mysterious Disappearances! First it was Steve Kazee, now Tyler Maynard! Too many cast wallets in Tyler Maynard's apartment?

Matilda - will she repeat her resounding London success? Or will Yanks go "No, thanks"?

PIPPIN! opens in just no time at all! Cinderella's already feeling tired and old. Bonus: will Steve S have interesting usher encounters like he did on WICKED? Better use extra rug glue, Steve!

Far From Heaven not far away. Kelli preggars. What to do?

"Hi, I'm Vicky. Fly me!"

OH LADY! LADY!! BABES IN THE WOOD!

THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY!!!

It's your line, dear ...

by Anonymousreply 60004/26/2013

[quote] First it was Steve Kazee, now Tyler Maynard!

Didn't Tyler Maynard disappear after his alleged spree, i.e. before Kazee?

by Anonymousreply 204/11/2013

I like how Vicki/Victoria Clark has become the Theater Gossip thread's bad angel to Karen Ziemba's good angel.

by Anonymousreply 304/11/2013

Thanks you (R3) and all of DL.

You do realize Karen's Tony is for supporting while mine is for lead, yes?

by Anonymousreply 404/11/2013

I bow before you, OP!

Has Stritch vacated and moved yet?

by Anonymousreply 504/11/2013

R4 Yes, but she has more nominations than you.

by Anonymousreply 604/11/2013

LOL. Extra rug glue for Steve!!! Good one, OP.

by Anonymousreply 704/11/2013

Kudos to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 804/11/2013

Anyone else think there may be a Pippin backlash by the critics after the love fest for Matilda, Cinderella and the awful Kinky? I hope not but will they try to bring Diane down a peg? I mean how many raves for musicals can they give in one season? I think they will also love Motown. And will the dykes come out in droves to see their heroine Jane in the awful "Annie?

by Anonymousreply 904/11/2013

Rejoice, my theatergoing comrades. The children’s revolution has arrived on these shores, and it is even more glorious than we were promised. Rush now, barricade stormers of culture, to the Shubert Theater, and join the insurrection against tyranny, television, illiteracy, unjust punishment and impoverished imaginations, led by a 5-year-old La Pasionaria with a poker face and an off-the-charts I.Q.

“Matilda the Musical,” the London import that opened on Thursday night, is the most satisfying and subversive musical ever to come out of Britain, where it was nurtured into life by the Royal Shakespeare Company. In many ways this production would seem to be an example of show business as usual: It’s inspired by a book (the children’s novel of the same name by Roald Dahl) which was turned into a movie (in 1996). And in its melding of song, dance and story it’s as classic as “Oklahoma!”

But within its traditional form “Matilda” works with astonishing slyness and grace to inculcate us with its radical point of view. “Matilda,” you see, is about words and language, books and stories, and their incalculable worth as weapons of defense, attack and survival. It’s about turning the alphabet into magic, and using it to rule the world.

If I have made “Matilda” sound like a self-important “Sesame Street,” then I’ve led you astray. As directed by Matthew Warchus, with a bright, efficient book by Dennis Kelly and addictive songs by Tim Minchin, “Matilda” is as much an edge-of-the-seats nail biter as a season-finale episode of “Homeland.”

Above all it’s an exhilarating tale of empowerment, as told from the perspective of the most powerless group of all. I mean little children. Brilliantly designed by Rob Howell and lighted by Hugh Vanstone, with choreography to match by Peter Darling (“Billy Elliot”), “Matilda” captures the particular dread that runs like an icy rivulet through even the happiest childhoods. You know what I mean: the nagging awareness of the monster under the bed, the bully on the bus, the first day of school and the teacher who lurks there to make your life a humiliating hell.

by Anonymousreply 1104/11/2013

Can someone fill me in on the Tyler Maynard thief drama?

by Anonymousreply 1204/11/2013

I would but Tyler broke into my apartment and stole my notes, so let me go from memory.

he has talent and a giant cock so everyone hates him. Makes sense on datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2013

God Brantley's writing is putrid. Like a depressed thirteen year old girl trying to sound upbeat.

by Anonymousreply 1404/11/2013

So Matilda is now going to win Best Musical, right?

by Anonymousreply 1504/11/2013

At least Brantley isn't reading his reviews on WQXR radio any more. That voice!

by Anonymousreply 1604/11/2013

Who gives a shit what Dame Brantley thinks about anything?

by Anonymousreply 1704/11/2013

What the fuck are all the huzzahs for the OP? Really, you think they are clever bon mots? Christ, no wonder you theater queens hate everything.

by Anonymousreply 1804/11/2013

Dame Brantley used to write about blouses for Women's Wear Daily.

by Anonymousreply 1904/12/2013

It's almost like Brantley's sucking off all the male producers. and a few of the "female" ones.

by Anonymousreply 2004/12/2013

[quote]A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder! The next big thing, or another Death Takes a Holiday?

It's coming to Broadway and then it goes to London. You read it here first.

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2013

[quote] So Matilda is now going to win Best Musical, right?

R15, that was pre-determined back in September.

by Anonymousreply 2204/12/2013

The best musical in town is HERE LIES LOVE at the Public - also the gayest. The Imelda Marcos Story done completely to a disco beat, and an entire cast of hot Asians (incl. Jose Llana in his boxers)

by Anonymousreply 2304/12/2013

I'm sure it's a quality piece, R23, but dear God, that sounds like a description of hipster hell to me.

by Anonymousreply 2404/12/2013

Somewhere out there, Harvey Fierstein is curled up with a bottle of vodka and a teddy bear, crying himself to sleep tonight.

by Anonymousreply 2504/12/2013

Speaking of Kazee...

I know, here it comes again...

WHY did he REALLY leave the show???

by Anonymousreply 2604/12/2013

The answer to that question is in Tyler Maynard's apartment, along with the McStay Family, R26.

by Anonymousreply 2704/12/2013

[quote]WHY did he REALLY leave the show???

mental breakdown

by Anonymousreply 2804/12/2013

Really r28? Since you would have us believe you know the reason, do tell us the cause.

by Anonymousreply 2904/12/2013

[quote]Since you would have us believe you know the reason, do tell us the cause.

Multiple causes. It is never just one thing.

by Anonymousreply 3004/12/2013

So will Bertie Carvell be a Lead Actor Tony nominee or a Featured Actor Tony nominee?

by Anonymousreply 3104/12/2013

The reason Brantley loves Matlida is because its about a nerdy little girl who thinks she is smarter than everyone else and loves books and words. And Ben Brantley is a nerdy queen who loves books and words and thinks he is better than everyone else.

He so identified with the story, he writes "I had that teacher" about one of the most ridiculous characters in the show.

As for civilians and normal people, they'll find Matilda just fine but nothing special.

by Anonymousreply 3204/12/2013

Rebecca! It ain't DEAD yet!

[quote]Ben Sprecher...told Playbill.com that he is getting closer to the $15 million capitalization necessary to bring the production to Broadway later this year.

Oy...

by Anonymousreply 3304/12/2013

What's with Steve S and the ushers, OP? Do tell.

by Anonymousreply 3404/12/2013

Dame is only ever immediately followed by a first name, never a surname.

by Anonymousreply 3504/12/2013

I saw Bette in I'll eat you last a couple of nights ago. Phenomenal doesn't even begin to describe her performance.

She is truly one of the most underrated actresses out there. I wish she'd do more dramatic work. She wanted to do Medea a while back, and it's a shame no one has thought to put her in some Shakespeare production. We've truly been deprived of the full wave of Midler's talent. She's got hidden areas that have yet to be exposed.

by Anonymousreply 3604/12/2013

I'd love to see Bette Midler in a Tyler Perry movie.

by Anonymousreply 3704/12/2013

Back in the 90s they wanted Bette to replace Diana Rigg in Medea but Gary Morton talked her out of it.

by Anonymousreply 3804/12/2013

Yippee

by Anonymousreply 3904/12/2013

I'd love to see Bette Midler in Boys in the Band. As the apartment.

by Anonymousreply 4004/12/2013

Don't forget about ME, R35!

by Anonymousreply 4104/12/2013

"She wanted to do Medea a while back, and it's a shame no one has thought to put her in some Shakespeare production."

Just like Streisand was gonna do Juliet, Hedda Gabler and The Merry Widow!

by Anonymousreply 4204/12/2013

WEHT Kathleen Chalfant?

by Anonymousreply 4304/12/2013

Actually, I could see Bette as a great Madame Arcati or Judith Bliss (Hay Fever).

by Anonymousreply 4404/12/2013

Flower Drum Song

What went wrong?

by Anonymousreply 4504/12/2013

[quote]WEHT Kathleen Chalfant?

Her gf advised her to pass on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4604/12/2013

[quote] Her gf advised her to pass on this thread.

So who is her gf?

by Anonymousreply 4704/12/2013

[quote]Just like Streisand was gonna do Juliet

There's still time!

by Anonymousreply 4804/12/2013

Haven't seen Kaitlin Hopkins around recently did she move to LA?

by Anonymousreply 4904/12/2013

Kahleen goes through a lot of gfs. She pays less than Tovah.

by Anonymousreply 5004/12/2013

[quote] We've truly been deprived of the full wave of Midler's talent.

There's more? Where?

She's like a golden retriever - she has three different expressions and none of them scratch any deeper than the surface.

If there's more underneath, that bitch needs to let it out.

To me, "Isn't She Great" sums up Bette performances in a nutshell.....She can emote or not emote all she wants, but five minutes into even the most dramatic performance, she Becomes Bette Midler. And any attempt at capturing any other character or being is kiboshed.

by Anonymousreply 5104/12/2013

Someone on the MATILDA marketing team is getting fired...

by Anonymousreply 5204/12/2013

Kisses R3! And hugs and a basket full of love to OP. Go see MATILDA... see all four of those new stars of Broadway!

Karen

xo

by Anonymousreply 5304/12/2013

That crazy Milioti bitch probably drove Steve bananas!

by Anonymousreply 5404/12/2013

This thread should have a Ziembot!

by Anonymousreply 5504/12/2013

R36, spoil I'll Eat You Last for us: is the real-time revelation that Barbra dumps her?

by Anonymousreply 5604/12/2013

Looks like Tyler Maynard is going into SILENCE, the musical

by Anonymousreply 5704/12/2013

Serious BDF in the photo in R57's post.

by Anonymousreply 5804/12/2013

He looses his dick into fellow castmembers' dressing rooms and it picks up their wallets in its meatus.

by Anonymousreply 5904/12/2013

dramedy's prediction

i think cinderella will continue. In fact, this is a rather odd year--most years there are only 3 musicals that survive a season (beyond following new years)--either 1 new and 2 revivals or 2 new and one revival. I think this year will have 5 (Matilida, KinkyB, Cindy, Pippin and motown). I don't think Annie will make it much past January--it still will have run over a year- although it has been doing well the last two weeks with over 90% capacity--but most weeks it has been in the 70s and 80s which isn't that good for long term prospects and the Palace is a prime theater and large to fill.

dramedy

by Anonymousreply 6004/12/2013

[quote] He looses

He what?

by Anonymousreply 6104/12/2013

It's Brit English, r61 - loose as a verb. "The hounds have been loosed" (ie, released, set free).

by Anonymousreply 6204/12/2013

Tyler Maynard in R57 's photo looks like he's eye-ing someone's iPad.

by Anonymousreply 6304/12/2013

LINE WAITING TO GET TICKETS FOR FINAL HARDBODY PERF!

by Anonymousreply 6404/13/2013

The only reason that last entry was in all caps. My cat was walking across the keyboard and laid herself down pressing the caps key lock. She's a big fan of that Settle woman in the show.

by Anonymousreply 6504/13/2013

Bette Midler should play Maxene in "Night Of The Iguana"

Or Grandpa in "You Can't Take It With You".

by Anonymousreply 6604/13/2013

Someone in an earlier thread suggest Bette Midler as Winnie in Beckett's HAPPY DAYS.

I thought that was an inspired idea.

by Anonymousreply 6704/13/2013

[quote]It's Brit English, [R61] - loose as a verb. "The hounds have been loosed" (ie, released, set free).

He hath loosed the fateful lightning with his terrible swift sword.

by Anonymousreply 6804/13/2013

[quote]Someone in an earlier thread suggest Bette Midler as Winnie in Beckett's HAPPY DAYS.

She'd be better as Al in Garry Marshall's "Happy Days."

by Anonymousreply 6904/13/2013

Someone please help me contextualize this thread by filling me in on the following:

--Vicki Clark. What's the story? Is she a nightmare? I think I missed something. --Tyler Maynard. The last show I saw him in was Altar Boyz, ages ago. The thought that he's a chain-smoking klepto seems ... surprising? But true?

by Anonymousreply 7004/13/2013

"Flower Drum Song. What went wrong?"

The first blunder was to take what was essentially musical comedy material and place it in an epic/historical context. As a result, the score and book were out-of-sync with one another, not only in tone but in function as well (e.g., Mei Li running away from the Mao regime to A Hundred Million Miracles was just plain silly).

Rodgers' gorgeous long-lined melodies were designed to be fully experienced in the moment, not parsed out in phrases between dialogue in the style of the fragmented, contemporary musical, thus robbing them of their lyrical power.

Last but not least, Rodgers, Hammerstein and Joe Stein adapted the novel by C.Y. Lee as a comedy replete with types that would not have been out of place in a Rodgers and Hart musical but for the fact of their Asian heritage. However, these were considered offensive by modern standards. So what did Hwang do? He supplanted one stereotype for another and created a character of a backstage dresser who was a walking and talking textbook of every gay cliché imaginable, a veritable 'nance!'

Essentially, the dramatic and musical philosophies behind the R&H score and Hwang's revised libretto were at complete odds with one another, resulting in an idea that should never have left the drawing board.

by Anonymousreply 7104/13/2013

Will Jim Parsons be nominated for Harvey?

by Anonymousreply 7204/13/2013

Spot-on summation, r71.

by Anonymousreply 7304/13/2013

[quote]Essentially, the dramatic and musical philosophies behind the R&H score and Hwang's revised libretto were at complete odds with one another, resulting in an idea that should never have left the drawing board.

Replace "Hwang's" with "Beane's," and it's a spot-on summation of Cinderella, too.

But it was Joseph Fields, not Stein, who did the original FDS book.

by Anonymousreply 7404/13/2013

[quote]But it was Joseph Fields, not Stein, who did the original FDS book.

They did a musical about FDS? I would have thought Cheryl wrote the book for it.

by Anonymousreply 7504/13/2013

[quote]We've truly been deprived of the full wave of Midler's talent. She's got hidden areas that have yet to be exposed.

Like her neck. Or her waist. Or her humility.

by Anonymousreply 7604/13/2013

HANDS ON A HARDBODY!

by Anonymousreply 7704/13/2013

Bingo, on both counts, r74.

by Anonymousreply 7804/13/2013

Hey 71!

Great thoughts, I agree,

May I also add.

That the way they restructured the plot...everything was resolved by the end of act one. There was no reason for act two

In the original...the "crux" of every plot line came together at the end of act one. You wanted to know in the next act, how everything resolved.

Linda was cut down to nothing. Madam Liang was cut down to nothing. The new political book didn't need them...but they were there...wasting our time.

I have no problem with "refreshing" older books, but completely rewriting them to fit a "strong woman" political bent...well you see what happened.

I know places that have wanted to do Flower Drum Song...but refuse to use the new book.

Same with Annie Get Your Gun...Every regional theatre I know who has done it recently digs out their copy of the the 60's version. The Revival version of show within a show...sucks.

by Anonymousreply 7904/13/2013

What I want to know is this.

If Julie Andrews had NOT refused her nomination in Victor/Victoria would she have won the Tony Award?

After all she is missing a Tony (not even an Honorary one!) to get to EGOT.

People would have voted for her as a lifetime achievement award Tony Award, even if the musical was not good.

So what do you guys think? Would she have walked off with the Tony Award, instead of Donna Murphy?

by Anonymousreply 8004/13/2013

IIRC Judy Holliday won the Tony the year Julie was nominated for My Fair Lady but who won it when Julie was nominated for Camelot?

I mean, I assume Julie was nominated?

by Anonymousreply 8104/13/2013

Julie lost her second Tony (Camelot) to Elizabeth Seal for Irma la Douce

btw Elizabeth Seal was FIRED from the London version of Chorus Line. She was to play Cassie. She replaced by the person she was suppose to replace, Donna McKechnie.

by Anonymousreply 8204/13/2013

Just saw Matthew Warchus on NY1. He's cute. Gay?

Also, any Jesse Eisenberg gossip? He almost seems asexual in a way but I suppose there's somebody out there he's banging. Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 8304/13/2013

[quote] Just saw Matthew Warchus on NY1. He's cute. Gay?

Not that I'm aware of.

by Anonymousreply 8404/13/2013

W&W for R76 - bingo!

by Anonymousreply 8504/13/2013

[quote]So what do you guys think? Would she have walked off with the Tony Award, instead of Donna Murphy?

Andrews definitely would have won. Donna Murphy had just won for Passion two years before. Nobody was in a rush to give her another Tony until Julie refused the nomination. (Julie was still on the ballot though...she could have still won a la George C. Scott....had they wanted to vote for her)

by Anonymousreply 8604/13/2013

Speaking of Irma la Douce, I heard a rumor that it will be at Encores! next season. Despite the fact that it is a French show by way of London.

by Anonymousreply 8704/13/2013

I saw Matthew Warchus during one of the performances of THE NORMAN CONQUESTS when the lights went out on one side of the stage. He looked pained but he didn't make a scene. I wanted to get on my knees to let him get the stress out.

He's cute in person, too, but no gay vibe at all, except that British thing.

by Anonymousreply 8804/13/2013

Anybody see Samuel Hunter's THE WHALE at Playwrights Horizons last fall? Was it all that?

by Anonymousreply 8904/13/2013

r80, you have to remember the climate surrounding Andrews's return to Broadway. It wasn't just "It's great to have a big star on Broadway" or "It's great to have her back"; there was the feeling that this TREASURE that Broadway had given to the world, and who had inexplicably stayed away from it for decades, was FINALLY back where she belonged. (I'm saying it in a "MARY!" way because that's the way everybody treated it at the time.) There was no way in hell she wasn't getting the Tony (until the "egregiously overlooked" thing).

by Anonymousreply 9004/13/2013

[quote]Anybody see Samuel Hunter's THE WHALE at Playwrights Horizons last fall? Was it all that?

Personally, I had mixed reactions. He definitely knows how to pull heartstrings with this characters. And yet, there was so much HEAVY, LEADEN symbolism regarding whales that pulled me out of the play.

IMHO, "Bright New Boise" is much better, and is a gorgeous script.

by Anonymousreply 9104/14/2013

Thanks, r91. Somebody told me THE WHALE was the most moving plays she saw all last year.

By the way, Julie Andrews wasn't very good in VICTOR/VICTORIA, and the show was awful.

by Anonymousreply 9204/14/2013

"Bette's back! Let's all give her a hand on her big opening"

"She's got hidden areas that have yet to be exposed."

GROSS! What kind of depraved straight person is posting on our forum?!

by Anonymousreply 9304/14/2013

Frank DiLella was as tiresome as ever on NY1 Onstage today. He was in Hong Kong to interview David Henry Hwang? Daddy pays for his flights, not Time Warner, I assume?

by Anonymousreply 9404/14/2013

R94 - why do you think your cable bill is so high?

by Anonymousreply 9504/14/2013

Frank is a rich kid slumming it in a low paying job because he can.

by Anonymousreply 9604/14/2013

r79 - Rodgers & Hammerstein offers both the new and old versions of Annie Gat Your Gun and Flower Drum Song.

Well, actually, in the case of AGYG, it's the 1965 revival version, which eliminates Winnie and Tommy.

by Anonymousreply 9704/14/2013

[quote] GROSS! What kind of depraved straight person is posting on our forum?!

Ken Wahl.

by Anonymousreply 9804/14/2013

r90 the weird part is that she'd only been on Broadway 3 times before V/V. Compare that to other stars who'd done so many shows.

How come she never came back after Camelot?

by Anonymousreply 9904/14/2013

Julie was brought to Hollywood by Walt Disney to make Mary Poppins and subsequently (and surprisingly) won an Oscar for her performance. She then focused her career on film. She wisely counteracted the sugar of Poppins with the spice of The Americanization of Emily.

She was really unlike anyone ever seen in Hollywood before, a true original. Her stardom was solidified by the unprecedented success of The Sound of Music and a couple of years later with Thoroughly Modern Millie. So she was able to continue singing in musicals but in big budget Hollywood films that were better paying and seen by far larger audiences than she'd ever entertained on Broadway. There was no reason to return to Broadway.

Somewhere along the way she divorced Tony Walton, her first husband who was (and is) a brilliant Broadway Set and Costume Designer (though he's also designed many films incl. Mary Poppins and Murder on the Orient Express, etc.) and she married Blake Edwards.

Together Julie and Blake chose very unwisely for their subsequent film projects together, or perhaps the times were just changing too much in the 1960s and by 1970, both of them seemed hopelessly out of step with the new Easy Rider Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 10004/14/2013

Tony Walton is the only person in history to win an Oscar-Emmy-Tony award for set design.

He needs to design an Album Cover to get that grammy to be EGOT

by Anonymousreply 10104/14/2013

[quote]How come she never came back after Camelot?

I don't know, but maybe becoming an Oscar winning international movie star and then raising a family had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 10204/14/2013

When she became a mother, making movies was better in terms of being a working mother.

She got paid more, and she could work 4 months on a film and be off for 8 months.

Who would want to walk away from that?

by Anonymousreply 10304/14/2013

I'm never understood claims that Andrews was a true original. I've found her perfectly bland in most of the things in which I've seen her.

by Anonymousreply 10404/14/2013

An oldie but goodie.

When Gillian Anderson was in the Manhattan Theatre Club she was sleeping with Bebe Neuwirth. My ex-roomy told me about this one; see, Gillian dumped him for Bebe. This was in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 10504/14/2013

Is the character Alison Fraser plays in Wesley Taylor's webseries anything like Neuwirth?

by Anonymousreply 10604/14/2013

Nice try, R105.

But in 1991 Gillian was in London, and Bebe was in LA doing "Cheers". Neither one of them were anywhere near the Manhattan Theatre Club.

by Anonymousreply 10704/14/2013

I have to ask. Has anyone else found Matilda to be unfunny, bombastic, over-blown dreck? Yes, the little girl I saw playing Matilda was adorable. It is a wonder she can remember, let along give the performance she does in the middle of the drivel surrounding her. A painful score that is then shouted at the audience, not sung. Stomping choreography. Unfunny actors. I could go on but won't.

I re-read the New York Times review this morning and feel like I must be living inan alternative universe. Did Lady Brantley see the same show?

The audience cheered but I can't imagine recommending this to anyone although I know everyone now feels they have to see it. Ugh. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 10804/14/2013

Did the Weisslers make a mistake by booiking such a small theater for Pippin? I guess they are paying small salaries to the hard working cast. But how are they gonna make zillions like they did for Chaicago? The nut has to be huge-in addition to the high insurance premiums.

by Anonymousreply 10904/14/2013

r109, how huge is YOUR nut?

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

In other news:

Julie Andrews is a howling mediocrity, always has been.

by Anonymousreply 11004/14/2013

[quote]I have to ask. Has anyone else found Matilda to be unfunny, bombastic, over-blown dreck? Yes, the little girl I saw playing Matilda was adorable.

My friend saw it in London and said it was loud, soulless crap. but something tells me middle-aged gay men aren't their target audience.

by Anonymousreply 11104/14/2013

[quote] Julie Andrews is a howling mediocrity, always has been.

She's been mediocre as long as she's been a lesbian.

In other words, always!

by Anonymousreply 11204/14/2013

So you're Rachel Weisz, married to Daniel Craig, and an audience is supposed to believe you'd have an affair with dumpy schlub Rafe Spall? I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 11304/14/2013

Despite good reviews Boots is still discounting and papering the house.

by Anonymousreply 11404/14/2013

The Weisslers aren't stupid. At least Barry isn't. Fran is semi-coherent at the age of 86.

Nevertheless, they'll sell out for the better part of a year, then move to a bigger theatre to fit more grasping patrons in. As they did with CHICAGO.

by Anonymousreply 11504/14/2013

R113-

Maybe Rafe has a big dick. Why do you think Michele Pfeiffer was with freakish Fisher Stevens for so long?

by Anonymousreply 11604/14/2013

I thought CHICAGO moved to successively smaller houses: 1.) Shubert 2.) Rogers 3.) Ambassador.

by Anonymousreply 11704/14/2013

Julie Andrews fit a certain type of female character that was popular in the 1950s and pre-Womens Movement 1960s. She was perfect for the characters she played in "The Boy Friend," "My Fair Lady," "Camelot," "The Sound of Music," and "Mary Poppins," because these young women are supposed to be pretty and cute and not have too much in the way of sex appeal or individuality. Certainly Mary Poppins and Eliza Doolittle in their original incarnations and the real Maria von Trapp were much more formidable characters than the bland ones Julie Andrews inhabited.

by Anonymousreply 11804/14/2013

So we are all in agreement? That Julie Andrews gave up her Tony Award to Donna Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 11904/14/2013

Donna accepting Julie's Tony Award

by Anonymousreply 12004/14/2013

And it was the FIFTIETH Tony Award for Best Actress to Boot!

by Anonymousreply 12104/14/2013

[quote]I thought CHICAGO moved to successively smaller houses: 1.) Shubert 2.) Rogers 3.) Ambassador.

No, it opened first at the Rodgers and then moved to the Shubert.

by Anonymousreply 12204/14/2013

I look pretty fabulousshhh in that clip!

by Anonymousreply 12304/14/2013

R120 Bernadette is whispering to Liza: "I have this premonition that we're both going to end up on some schlocky NBC series about Broadway in about 15 years or so ..."

by Anonymousreply 12404/14/2013

Ah! Thank you R122. I had it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 12504/14/2013

Chicago started at the Rodgers for what they thought would be a 12 week limited run. It became a smash hit. Steel Pier already had booked the Rodgers for the spring. Luckily, "Big" closed at the Shubert.

by Anonymousreply 12604/14/2013

"Chicago started at the Rodgers for what they thought would be a 12 week limited run."

I never knew that, r126 - was this announced at the time? I don't remember it being billed or advertised as a limited run.

by Anonymousreply 12704/14/2013

The Nance has the best first 2 scenes in the worst play on Broadway this year.

So many things go wrong after Jonny Orsini (who is very miscast) emerges wet and naked in the 2nd scene. Act II is completely unnecessary.

The 3 women have no comic timing and wear more clothing than any strippers in the history of burlesque.

Nathan struggles...and struggles...

by Anonymousreply 12804/14/2013

Did Bernadette pronounce Daphne's name to rhyme with "rutabaga" ?

by Anonymousreply 12904/14/2013

It was R127. Originally billed as a limited run.

by Anonymousreply 13004/14/2013

The Nance is not good. What it is is long. Nathan is Nathan and doing his love me, love me routine as he tries to break your heart.

Pippin is tremendous - Saw original and cannot believe I enjoyedthis as much as I did. A female leading player is not as demonic or threatening as a male would have been and the kid playing Pippin takes a while to get going, but he scores big. Overall, best musical running in NYC right now. (Did not see Matilda and won't after hearing the score . Also, I've seen enough of men playing women to last me two lifetimes.)

by Anonymousreply 13104/14/2013

My pussy stinks.

by Anonymousreply 13204/14/2013

[quote]I've seen enough of men playing women to last me two lifetimes.

thank you! I am with you on that!

by Anonymousreply 13304/14/2013

R134 what about Julie Andrews? If she had not refused her nomination for Victor/Victoria would she have won the Tony Award that year?

by Anonymousreply 13504/14/2013

R116, it's a play. It's called Betrayal. And that's what audiences will be asked to believe.

by Anonymousreply 13604/14/2013

No. It was because she was having a public tantrum over a show that was not that good, just because she and her husband had money and reputation at stake.

by Anonymousreply 13804/14/2013

She'd've won the Tony if she hadn't held her press conference and turned down the nomination.

What if a man of Julie Andrews's stature had done the same thing?

What if Brando had come back to the NY stage after decades away?

Bet you a million bucks they'd've ignored his hissy fit and given him the prize anyway.

by Anonymousreply 13904/14/2013

I really don't think the George C. Scott thing is comparable.

Scott was basically a maverick proclaiming a principle (that actors shouldn't be in competition with each other) at a time, 1971, when everything was upside down in the country, the old ways and the old culture were getting swept away, and iconoclasm and bucking the establishment were very much in vogue. All very different from Julie Andrews in 1996 saying that if voters couldn't recognize what she felt was the high quality of her absolutely shitty show, she didn't want any part of their award.

by Anonymousreply 14004/14/2013

Pippin is two shows. A very entertaining circus and the original show that has a really terrible book. The former tries to mask the latter.

by Anonymousreply 14104/14/2013

So Miss Ross was at the Motown opening tonight? I wonder if she sang along.

by Anonymousreply 14304/14/2013

MOTOWN!

by Anonymousreply 14404/14/2013

The Times review of MOTOWN won't do any damage to it's already evident popularity.

by Anonymousreply 14604/14/2013

[quote] So Miss Ross was at the Motown opening tonight? I wonder if she sang along.

She probably lipsynched, like she's been doing for years.

by Anonymousreply 14704/14/2013

I saw the original PIPPIN but with Vereen's replacement, Northern J. Calloway, who is not, it turns out, related to Cab Calloway, and who died tragically and young of exhaustive psychosis, otherwise known as excited delirium syndrome (EDS). I don't remember much about the show. Irene Ryan was also gone - maybe dead - and I saw Dorothy Stickney. As far as I remember, John Rubenstein and Jill Clayburgh and Leland Palmer were still in the cast. I wish I had more recollection of it. I remember in high school choir we tried to recreate the Fosse choreography from the TV commercial.

by Anonymousreply 14804/14/2013

Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, along with Berry Gordy, Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight and Stevie Wonder came out on stage tonight for the Curtain Call at Motown the Musical.

by Anonymousreply 14904/14/2013

"The Nance" is meant to be a tragic love story, an expose of what gay life in NYC was like in the 30's, and a treatise about the fall of burlesque. It fails on all 3 counts, and having Nathan play the role as a pissy queen does the play no favors either. You can see Nathan straining to elicit tears, but by play's end, no one gives a shit.

This should disappear quickly, and deservedly so.

by Anonymousreply 15004/15/2013

But it's my big comeback!

by Anonymousreply 15104/15/2013

She had a definite knack for that female real estate agent role - I have to go to IMDB to find out where the hell I saw her do it.

by Anonymousreply 15204/15/2013

Julie Andrews definitely would have won the Tony for "V/V", but that press conference, in which she shamed the Tony nominators for her "egregiously overlooked" collaborators on the show, put that Tony award on a totally different path. This all happened my first year in NYC, and my friends quoted bits from that press conference for a full year after the fact. That was also the year of "Rent", so with Larson's death and Andrews' pouting, theater news was full and fun.

As for "The Whale"... Months later, I still remember Shuler Hensley's performance. The play mostly worked, but the reason to see it was Hensley, who gave a stunning performance and broke the hearts of most of us in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 15304/15/2013

r140 I'm not sure about Scott's true motivations. Later on in life he admitted he was just upset about losing the Oscar for Anatomy of a Murder, and not being nominated for Strangelove and snubbed the Academy out of bitterness.

In his later years he accepted his Tony nomination and attended the ceremony for Inherit the Wind and even attended the Oscars one year.

by Anonymousreply 15404/15/2013

What Julie did was noble, though. She led that company. What was she supposed to do? "Sorry you all suck, I'm getting a Tony!" She stood by her colleagues and, I guess, in some ways, was protecting what she and Edwards thought might be the long term success of the show.

Let's be honest, V/V on B'way killed her career. Obviously, she never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 15504/15/2013

[quote]I remember in high school choir we tried to recreate the Fosse choreography from the TV commercial.

That is adorable...but MARY!

by Anonymousreply 15604/15/2013

r150: Nathan playing a loveless, pissy queen? He's really stretching.

by Anonymousreply 15704/15/2013

Who did Julie expect to be nominated? Tony Roberts? Rachel York....both bad imitations of the original performances of Preston and Warren.

by Anonymousreply 15804/15/2013

Julie was pissed her husband was not nominated!

by Anonymousreply 15904/15/2013

Which overrated trust-fund baby princess will win her first Pulitzer today? Amy Herzog, Annie Baker, Gina Gionfriddo, Lisa D. Amour, Sarah Ruhl? Or maybe the grand dame herself of this category: Teresa Rebeck?

by Anonymousreply 16004/15/2013

[quote]Who did Julie expect to be nominated?

Her gay husband, probably. And Henry Mancini and Leslie B,

by Anonymousreply 16104/15/2013

Victor Victoria had the worst score ever. I heard that the best thing in the out of town tryout was an Israeli clown who did a bit where he got inside a balloon. He was fired because he stole the show from Julie who was unbelievable and awful in her role. Flop!

by Anonymousreply 16204/15/2013

Say what you will about bitch Victoria Clark, she was damn good in Encores! JUNO.

by Anonymousreply 16304/15/2013

CHICAGO opened at the Rodgers, then the Shubert and the Ambassador.

by Anonymousreply 16404/15/2013

Why are you picking on Wayman, he was just stating an incident. I have been at show in fact two of them in the last year when a few people realize they won't catch the train and decide to leave just at the moment of a conclusion and you miss it because they have to pass in front of you and you have to stand up, or the row in front of you has to get up and you miss it because they make you loose your concentration or you don't or hear that important moment. They just wanted to avoid the people leaving. or they step on your toe rushing out.

I have had one or two times where I had to leave just before curtain call or whatever I told the people in the aisle what I had to do and waiting till a pause or applause to fly out. They were very helpful to make this happen easily and they were very understanding as they knew the situation and helpful in helping me get out without a fuss and weren't taken by surprise.

I think I may have know that couple or someone like them and they always leave before the end and make their way up the aisle like that couple in many a show I have been to.

by Anonymousreply 16504/15/2013

R153- I also moved to NYC in 1995. Maybe we know each other?

by Anonymousreply 16604/15/2013

Um, r107, I just looked up Anderson. She was indeed at the MTC in 1991. Where the hell did you get London?

I got this from Anderson's own website:

A 1990 graduate of the Goodman School of Drama at DePaul University in Chicago, Anderson moved to New York soon after and quickly landed her first major break as the replacement for Mary Louise Parker in Alan Ayckbourn's play Absent Friends at the Manhattan Theatre Club in 1991. Anderson's performance earned her a Theatre Award. She also appeared in the Off-Broadway staging of The Philanthropist.

It seems you can't even remember who you directed or when, "Lynn".

by Anonymousreply 16704/15/2013

Someone on another board is hinting that Little Me is an Encores selection next year. I also heard whispers of another title that escapes me now. Also from the 1960s, I think.

by Anonymousreply 16804/15/2013

Well, looks like Broadway has to deal with Kevin McCollum again for another 5 years. Just when we thought it was safe...

by Anonymousreply 16904/15/2013

R168, the other Encores! for next season is supposedly IRMA LA DOUCE.

Maybe they're doing an all-60s season.

But neither Irma nor Little Me is a guaranteed seller. What will be their "sure-fire" show?

by Anonymousreply 17004/15/2013

Debate on other theater chat board about who will win Best Actor in Musical....the black drag queen who is losing his voice in mediocre Kinky or the mean drag in the little girl show Matilda. A shame that Rob McClure will be overlooked. He was really great in the flop Chaplin.

by Anonymousreply 17104/15/2013

Well - who else will be nominated? Don't they have five now?

Porter for Kinky Mean Brit drag for Matilda The guy who plays Pippin? Santino Fontana? Keith Carradine or Hunter Foster?

McClure might get in there, although his reviews were mixed.

by Anonymousreply 17204/15/2013

The 14 person nominating committee supposedly had Victor/Victoria is a few other categories (set and costume design, book, choreography) after initial voting, and then when discussion began someone argued hard to cut everything but best actress. Donald Brooks who designed Darling Lili and Star! apparently leaked this to The Edwards and thus Julie and her speech.

Something similar happened with Secret Garden.

I think they doubled the number of nominators the next year.

by Anonymousreply 17304/15/2013

Melanie Griffith IS Irma La Douce ought to sell a few tickets!

by Anonymousreply 17404/15/2013

I had heard about Irma la Douce as I posted earlier. But nothing about it makes it a Great American Musical. Its pedigree is French and British.

That being said, I'd like to see it.

by Anonymousreply 17604/15/2013

Harvey will do a rewrite on Irma, so that ends up being about a transvestite hooker with a heart of gold who calls himself Elmo la Deuce, and brings together the rest of the cast as one big happy family by reprising one of his old numbers from his time headlining bombed out piano bar cabaret nights.

Everyone will love it.

by Anonymousreply 17704/15/2013

If they put Bertie Carvel into the lead category for MATILDA, he'd better win over Billy Porter. He's doing amazingly intricate work, while Porter's doing a bad, one note RuPaul imitation.

by Anonymousreply 17804/15/2013

LOL R156! Yeah, I wondered what the "teacher" there must have looked like trying to "be" Mr. Fosse. Sweet story. Would love to have seen the work. Growing up around theater, I've always enjoyed it and have a soft spot for those working in it. Really hope Rob McClure isn't overlooked April 30.

by Anonymousreply 17904/15/2013

I thought Pippin was great. The reinvention works in it's favor, because do imitate the original would have been deadly - try watching the Ben Vereen/William Katt version and you will understand.

by Anonymousreply 18104/15/2013

DISGRACED, Ayad Akhtar, Pulitzer for Drama

by Anonymousreply 18204/15/2013

No one has noticed that Karen Ziemba has been cast in On Your Toes at Encores!?

Maybe she hasn't noticed yet.

by Anonymousreply 18304/15/2013

Pulitzer Prize for Drama finalists:

“Rapture, Blister, Burn,” by Gina Gionfriddo; “4000 Miles,” by Amy Herzog

by Anonymousreply 18404/15/2013

xoxo R183

by Anonymousreply 18504/15/2013

You do know this wasn't a musical, right?

by Anonymousreply 18704/15/2013

Mary Tyler Moore and Richard Chamberlain version was criticized for their poor vocal performance.

by Anonymousreply 18804/15/2013

R186 they aren't "reviving" anything with this production. It's a completely new play by Richard Greenberg, and not a musical at that, so I don't know what cast recording you're hoping for unless it's one of the nearly three hours of spoken text.

The musical version does have a studio cast recording with Faith Prince and Marc Kudisch, not to mention the audio of the original with MTM is widely circulated.

by Anonymousreply 18904/15/2013

It is NOT a revival of the MTM megaflop. Did you actually see the show? (I did.)

The MTM flop was a musical. This is not. This is a new play written by Richard Greenberg. It is completely new and based solely on the novella, not the movie.

It was truly terrible, but definitely not a revival.

by Anonymousreply 19104/15/2013

For the record they didn't "strip the music out," which would imply that they cut Bob Merrill's score and left Edward Albee's book. (They wrote the MTM flop musical version.)

This doesn't have a single vestige of the Albee/Merrill version, though that seems to be difficult for you to grasp.

Sean Mathias directed a new version of Breakfast at Tiffany's in London a few years ago written by Samuel Anderson. It starred Anna Friel.

When that version didn't work out Richard Greenberg wrote a completely new version, which is what is playing on Broadway for the rest of the week.

The mistake wasn't not making this a musical. The mistake was in Greenberg's horrible script and the slight miscasting of the two leads.

Fred now narrates the entire story to the audience. The scenic design is gloomy and the whole evening is sleep inducing. There was never a question this would close quickly after the devastating reviews, but it had nothing to do with whether or not this was a musical.

by Anonymousreply 19304/15/2013

But how/why do these terrible versions of famous books/films get produced? Are investors that happy to lose their money?

by Anonymousreply 19404/15/2013

I think the producers said, "We have a recognizable title and a TV star. Let's hope that combination can sell enough tickets to last the limited engagement we have planned."

They miscalculated, and the one thing they obviously didn't do was read Greenberg's script.

Breakfast at Tiffany's was never a play that they chop and dropped into though. Your analogy doesn't work R195. Breakfast at Tiffany's was a novella that was turned into a musical. It skipped over the play step completely.

Edward Albee's book for the musical was never, ever a play (and it was quite different from the novella).

Also Holly Golightly was the name of the musical during the out of town tryout in Boston, but Merrick had them change the title to Breakfast at Tiffany's when it began previews in New York. It never officially opened.

by Anonymousreply 19604/15/2013

[quote] What is the term where they strip the music and present a straight play instead of a musical?

"My Fair Lady" without the songs.

by Anonymousreply 19804/15/2013

I've never heard of anyone stripping the music and just performing the book. Wouldn't they just perform the original play in that case? (Even in the most faithful of chop and drops the creators would have to trim and abbreviate the book.)

For example, If you stripped the music from Raisin you would perform the book to Raisin. You would just perform A Raisin in the Sun.

by Anonymousreply 19904/15/2013

"What is the term where they strip the music and present a straight play instead of a musical?"

Abortion.

by Anonymousreply 20004/15/2013

The last ten or so Tiffanys messages show exactly what is wrong with theater these days: stupidity.Why can't we close this thread and start all over? Or else revert to Kathleen, Kazee, and Kompany.that may be silly but it's not perverse.

by Anonymousreply 20104/15/2013

I would have much preferred CATS and LES MIZ if they had stripped the songs out and just performed the book.

by Anonymousreply 20204/15/2013

R201 wants KKK.

by Anonymousreply 20304/15/2013

Instead of complaining, r201, why don't you bring up a subject you would like to discuss? Introduce another subject to the "conversation" and let's hope it catches on.

by Anonymousreply 20404/15/2013

Discuss: Which Tennessee Williams play would make a decent musical?

by Anonymousreply 20504/15/2013

A musical? I know there is an opera, but where was the musical of Streetcar (aside from The Simpsons)?

by Anonymousreply 20704/15/2013

Opera, was it not? By Andre Previn.

by Anonymousreply 20804/15/2013

Yes I meant an Opera version

by Anonymousreply 20904/15/2013

"Streetcar" is an opera. "Glass Menagerie" could make a great musical, depending on the composers and the director. Please stay away, Rob Ashford, is all I ask. "Camino Real" would be a terrific musical as well.

by Anonymousreply 21004/15/2013

A musical version of The Glass Menagerie titled BLUE ROSES!

It will be Jerry Herman's swan song, and he will get another Tony for it.

Just like in the movie, there will be a flashback secret to Amanda as a beautiful Southern belle, with the handsome men singing "In all candor, we prefer Amanda"

by Anonymousreply 21104/15/2013

Kander and Ebb might have done something interesting with Sweet Bird of Youth.

by Anonymousreply 21204/15/2013

There is an audio bootleg of the next to last performance of BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S with Moore and Chamberlain. complete performance...

by Anonymousreply 21404/15/2013

[quote]I've never heard of anyone stripping the music and just performing the book. Wouldn't they just perform the original play in that case?

OK these were not plays but movie adaptations of musicals. The movie versions of both FANNY and IRMA laDOUCE only used instrumental versions of the songs.... not one song was sung.

by Anonymousreply 21504/15/2013

"A musical version of The Glass Menagerie titled BLUE ROSES!"

Unbelievably, there is a musical of TGM called exactly that! A reading was done at the York a couple of years back!

"The last ten or so Tiffanys messages show exactly what is wrong with theater these days: stupidity."

You may be joking, r201, but it's absolutely true. And the stupidity can be found behind the scenes as well as in front of it. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 21604/15/2013

The movie of Fanny originally planned to film three of the songs, "Panisse and Son" and "To My Wife" and one other, can't remember. They actually wound up only filming "To My Wife," which they thought they could use because it's a celebration for Fanny and it would make sense that Panisse would sing a song for her. But in editing Logan realized that wouldn't work, so FANNY the movie remained songless. But much more of Harold Rome's score was used for underscoring than was the case with IRMA LA DOUCE, which only used a little of "Valse Milieu" and "Dis-Donc," with mostly a new score (underscore) by Andre Previn.

Alexandre Breffot hated the movie of IRMA, understandably (Monnot had died the year before). Harold Rome on the other hand, embraced FANNY and rolled with the punches (at least publicly).

by Anonymousreply 21704/15/2013

Night Of The Iguana! With ME as Maxine and Cheyenne Jackson as the Reverend.

by Anonymousreply 21804/15/2013

[quote]With ME as Maxine and Cheyenne Jackson as the Reverend

Melissa Errico?

by Anonymousreply 21904/15/2013

If only they'd just done the book for TOVAH GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 22004/15/2013

Why do they keep putting Christine Baranski in musicals?- She stunk in Follies and was even worse in Mame.

by Anonymousreply 22104/15/2013

Did she ever find that last note in I'm Still Here?

by Anonymousreply 22204/15/2013

Baranski is fine in musicals if cast in the right role and what she has to sing in On Your Toes is not much and not hard. She is there to provide glamor and deliver some zingers. She is perfectly cast in this role.

by Anonymousreply 22304/15/2013

[quote]She is there to provide glamour and deliver some zingers. She is perfectly cast in this role

Zingershhhh with a lisshp

by Anonymousreply 22404/15/2013

Christine Baranski in her BEST Encore performance.

by Anonymousreply 22504/15/2013

[quote]Why do they keep putting Christine Baranski in musicals?

She won an Supporting Actress Emmy for a low-end, barely watched sitcom from fifteen years ago. and she can kind of carry a tune. By Broadway standards, that's the definition of a star.

by Anonymousreply 22604/15/2013

R226 She's also won two Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 22704/15/2013

Baranski is on The Good Wife nowadays....very popular show I think.

by Anonymousreply 22804/15/2013

Although I get the point about her singing....it sort of sounds like when somebody's mom sings at Christmas. I once heard her sing God Bless America at some event....it was not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 22904/15/2013

Will THE Nance still open tonight as scheduled?

by Anonymousreply 23004/15/2013

[quote] She won an Supporting Actress Emmy for a low-end, barely watched sitcom from fifteen years ago. and she can kind of carry a tune. By Broadway standards, that's the definition of a star.

Don't forget her hilarious turn singing "Does Your Mother Know?" in Mamma Mia.

by Anonymousreply 23104/16/2013

And the reason I didn't suggest any options other than Kathleen, etc. is that you can't direct people to a topic and then suggest "Discuss." That's the role of a hall monitor! (See how pitifully the Tennessee Williams musicalization thread worked out, and then died. At least Baranski brought out some sassy riposte and if not gossip, at least a lot of life for its 10 responses!

Next...

A production of Disgraced to take advantage of the Pulitzer Prize Probably not...

by Anonymousreply 23204/16/2013

How big is Johnny Orsini's peenie?

by Anonymousreply 23304/16/2013

Wait - so if Christine Baranski is playing Luella Gear's part in On Your Toes, what part is Karen Ziemba playing? And who is playing Ray Bolger's part?

by Anonymousreply 23404/16/2013

r132, I'd probably go see My Pussy Stinks. But only if there was a discount code on Broadway Box.

by Anonymousreply 23504/16/2013

R193, you're obviously being trolled.

by Anonymousreply 23604/16/2013

I'm guessing KZ will play the mother of Junior, the Ray Bolger role (played by someone named Shonn Wiley). Junior's mom pretty much disappears early in the first act. Right, Karen?

by Anonymousreply 23704/16/2013

Uh huh.. but I'll be backstage clapping and cheering on the rest of the wonderful performers

xo

by Anonymousreply 23804/16/2013

Shonn Wiley had a lead in something else at Encores - was it Tom in No No Nanette? He's a good Christian boy, I think.

by Anonymousreply 23904/16/2013

yes, R239. It was No, No, Nanette. He was married to Meredith Patterson although I think they divorced and she remarried.

by Anonymousreply 24004/16/2013

Ziemba is Junior's mother, opposite Randy Skinner, her co-star in a stock production of Babes in Arms 30 years ago (directed by Ginger Rogers).

by Anonymousreply 24104/16/2013

Baranski won her Tonys for plays.....Mama Mia the movie was total diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 24204/16/2013

im going to go out on a limb here and say that Wendy Williams cant sing a note

since mama Morton has about a dozen line of dialogue in addition to the two songs, that should make for a hell of a performance--

by Anonymousreply 24304/16/2013

I thought all big black ladies could sing!

by Anonymousreply 24404/16/2013

Looks like Holland got snubbed for the "Broadway.com Audience Choice Awards".

Are we still saying she's getting the Tony?

FAVORITE ACTRESS IN A PLAY

Jessica Chastain, The Heiress

Scarlett Johansson, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Patti LuPone, The Anarchist

Bette Midler, I’ll Eat You Last: A Chat with Sue Mengers

FAVORITE DIVA PERFORMANCE

Stephanie J. Block, The Mystery of Edwin Drood

Bertie Carvel, Matilda

Alan Cumming, Macbeth

Katie Finneran, Annie

Sigourney Weaver, Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike

by Anonymousreply 24504/16/2013

Sigourney was also nominated for Favorite Actress in a Play.

by Anonymousreply 24604/16/2013

It's been a while but I remember liking Christine Baranski in Sweeney Todd

by Anonymousreply 24704/16/2013

[quote]he'd better win over Billy Porter. He's doing amazingly intricate work, while Porter's doing a bad, one note RuPaul imitation.

Gawd DAMN are we ever going to be assumed to have had our absolute FILL of the stereotypical "Sassy Black Drag Queen" characters!? I'm begging for mercy!

by Anonymousreply 24804/16/2013

Is it true that MOTOWN wrapped $1 million on Monday?

by Anonymousreply 24904/16/2013

[quote]Is it true that MOTOWN wrapped $1 million on Monday?

I doubt it was that much, but I'm sure it was a lot. Broadway has truly become Las Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 25004/16/2013

[quote]I doubt it was that much, but I'm sure it was a lot. Broadway has truly become Las Vegas.

Oh shut it. We've been through this before, Broadway has always had revue shows.

by Anonymousreply 25104/16/2013

Flo, as you know your Twenties-era shows frequently had NEW music, they were not "Jukebox musicals" of the hits of the 1890s.

by Anonymousreply 25204/16/2013

R250, would you call the West End of London "Las Vegas" because Thriller (a Michael Jackson revvue) has been in Shaftesbury Avenue in a major theater for several years? And We Will Rock You has been a major hit for many years?

by Anonymousreply 25304/16/2013

[quote]would you call the West End of London "Las Vegas" because Thriller (a Michael Jackson revvue) has been in Shaftesbury Avenue in a major theater for several years?

To a degree, yes. In a way, London is where these tribute shows started. How long did BUDDY run?

The difference is that the West End has a thriving culture of plays (and very good plays at that) in tandem with shows like THRILLER and VIVA WHATEVER. I imagine they're two very different audience bases, but I don't know for sure. But there is a healthy commercial market for plays in the West End that doesn't really exist on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 25404/16/2013

YOu can go back and forth about the quality of Broaday, but it really doesn't exist anymore. It's merely a spot on a map, a destination, and, yes, it is a theme park for dumb, culturally deprived tourists and fraus from the suburbs. It no longer exists.

by Anonymousreply 25504/16/2013

Can you refuse a broadway.com audience favorite award nomination? It's embarrassing. Like those sad People's Choice things. Do people cite such awards in their bios?

by Anonymousreply 25604/16/2013

London is changing too! Very few plays run any longer than they do here. Almost everything is a "strictly 16-week limited engagement" that may make its 16 weeks or less, or occasionally extend another booking period. Helen Mirren's The Audience is a good example of that, especially one with an in-demand star. And London has tons of lousy jukebox musicals that can run and run with complete nobodies in their casts. Sound familiar?

by Anonymousreply 25704/16/2013

r245, none of the following are getting nominated for a Tony Award:

Jessica Chastain, The Heiress

Scarlett Johansson, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

Patti LuPone, The Anarchist

by Anonymousreply 25804/16/2013

No to Jessica Shitstain.

by Anonymousreply 25904/16/2013

[quote] Do people cite such awards in their bios?

KYLE SOLLER (Christian). Kyle trained at RADA. Theatre credits include: Long Day’s Journey Into Night (Apollo Theatre); The Faith Machine Winner of the Milton Shulman Award for Outstanding Newcomer, Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2011, Nominated for the Dewynters London Newcomer of the Year Award, Whatsonstage.com Awards 2012 (Royal Court Theatre); The Government Inspector Winner of the Milton Shulman Award for Outstanding Newcomer, Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2011, Nominated for the Dewynters London Newcomer of the Year Award, Whatsonstage.com Awards 2012 (The Young Vic); The Glass Menagerie Winner of the Milton Shulman Award for Outstanding Newcomer, Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2011, Nominated for the Dewynters London Newcomer of the Year Award, Whatsonstage.com Awards 2012 (The Young Vic); The Talented Mr Ripley (Northampton Royal Theatre); The Glass Menagerie (Shared Experience); Found In The Ground (The Wrestling School); A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Shakespeare’s Globe/Tour); Ice Cream (Royal Court Theatre); The Beautiful People (Finborough Theatre). Film credits include: Anna Karenina (Working Title Films).

by Anonymousreply 26004/16/2013

Midler definitely gets a nomination, but not the win.

No noms for Scarlett (she's got a Tony, recently too) or Jessica - sorry girls, back to the movies for you.

I'm telling you now - the Tony goes to Cicely Tyson.

And I was the only one right about DISGRACED winning the Pulitzer....

by Anonymousreply 26104/17/2013

"Bunty Berman Presents..."

Who's seen this? DL fave Scott Elliott directing a big Bollywood-ish musical! What could possibly go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 26204/17/2013

[quote] No noms for Scarlett (she's got a Tony, recently too) or Jessica - sorry girls, back to the movies for you.

After she was a total cunt at the last Tonys she was at (leaving as soon as she won, without saying anything to anyone) she's unlikely to be embraced by the community again.

by Anonymousreply 26304/17/2013

Midler getting a nomination is iffy and Tyson has pretty tough competition.

by Anonymousreply 26404/17/2013

I think Tyson has the Tony for sure.

by Anonymousreply 26504/17/2013

Get your tickets now, kids! Our favorite toe-tappin', bango-strummin', TONY-winnin' gal is one of the gang in a new Jerome Kern evening!

Yes, I am going!

by Anonymousreply 26604/17/2013

I remember when there used to be good gossip on this. Now it's all whacko trolls.

by Anonymousreply 26704/17/2013

R267 I have to agree. It's boring now.

by Anonymousreply 26804/17/2013

[quote] I remember when there used to be good gossip on this.

Like what?

by Anonymousreply 26904/17/2013

There's not enough sex gossip. That's how it first got its infamy, when Michael Musto quoted it with blind items referencing what were mostly sex items (although not all. Some were about who's a bitch, etc).

But that was = gee, almost ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 27004/17/2013

Saw Kathleen Chalfant at "Dance of Death" @ Red Bull Theatre Sunday night. Was in the company of two guys who appeared to be a gay couple (though I've been wrong before). No people of a lesbionic nature were in their company.

by Anonymousreply 27104/17/2013

[quote] No people of a lesbionic nature were in their company.

What a random comment.

by Anonymousreply 27204/17/2013

The Assembled Parties is getting raves so far. Still waiting on the Times and what Dame Brantley says.

PS, we know it's Dame First Name, but Dame Brantley has never done anything by the books except her boring reviews.

by Anonymousreply 27304/17/2013

It's by the BOOK.

by Anonymousreply 27404/17/2013

Kiri, The gone-away

by Anonymousreply 27504/17/2013

Mark Kennedy, Associated Press: The latest work by playwright Richard Greenberg is a beautiful and touching look at the inner workings of a well-to-do family, their mistakes and the stories that bind them...Lynne Meadow directs with superb skill, keeping the tension rising while allowing the actors all the room to show their gifts...With a breathy, calm and happy demeanor, Hecht is addictive to watch...There are few more poignant scenes than the play's final one, in which wistfulness and hope collide, thanks to some superb acting and writing. It's worth aging 20 years to see.

David Rooney, The Hollywood Reporter: Basically, it's like Aaron Sorkin meets Neil Simon. That should register as studied and artificial, and on many levels it does. But the cleverness is supported by a foundation of warmth, sensitivity, even delicacy that makes this funny-sad comedy as unexpectedly affecting as it is entertaining...This is an idiosyncratic play that reveals itself slowly and perhaps never quite fully, but Lynne Meadow's expertly gauged production has just the right feel for its shifting rhythms...More than the physical production, however, what separates this from a mannered New Yorker cartoon world is the wonderful anchoring performances of Jessica Hecht and Judith Light, both of them rich in complex humanity.

Linda Winer, Newsday: "The Assembled Parties," [Richard Greenberg's] first new play here since 2006, has been lovingly directed by Lynne Meadow and cast with such experts of emotional nuance as JudithLight and Jessica Hecht. The tragicomedy, despite a few unexplained improbabilities, shocks us into realizing how hungry we have been for witty and wounded grown-ups who toss off gorgeously written observations without knowing how little we know about what we think we know.

Tanner Stransky, Entertainment Weekly: The beauty of Greenberg's play lies in its richness. The playwright captures the particulars of how a New York family lives and loves through the years, with special attention to the subtle differences between 1980 and 2000 (a corded phone becomes cordless!). Director Lynne Meadow's production is greatly enhanced by Santo Loquasto's turntable set, a wonder in all its intricate details. And Meadow has assembled a first-rate cast that feels as familiar and complicated as any real-life clan. As an added bonus, you may be left with an overwhelming urge to call your mother. A-

by Anonymousreply 27604/17/2013

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but did anyone see Kinky Boots? Was it terrible? I like Stark Sands ( so cute in Generation Kill) and had hoped to catch this in Chicago when they previewed it there, but didn't get to it.

Just wondered what ever happened to it. It sounded like it had potential.

by Anonymousreply 27704/17/2013

Anyone see Matilda?

by Anonymousreply 27804/17/2013

My god, could Lynne Meadow actually win the Tony for Best Direction of a Play?

It is indeed a beautiful production and one of those strange quirky plays that is somehow only enhanced by its imperfections. So like life.

But I don't really understand the fuss about Santo Loquasto's sets. While the turn table reveals each new room of a large upper Westside apartment in wondrous ways, each room looks about as generic as those in a modern hotel. There's little sense of those specific characters inhabiting them.

by Anonymousreply 27904/17/2013

Dame Brantley creams herself an actress who is not (GASP) a star:

It’s impossible, though, to imagine “The Assembled Parties” without Ms. Hecht. You might not immediately think of her in this part, if you saw her on Broadway as the careworn women in recent revivals of “Brighton Beach Memoirs” and “A View From the Bridge.”

As Julie, though, she embodies all the fey, irresistible glamour that was missing from Emilia Clarke’s Holly Golightly in “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” Mr. Greenberg’s other show on Broadway this season. As the daughter of an illustrious dress designer (whose vintage clothes, designed here by Jane Greenwood, she wears most fetchingly), Julie, who was a teenage movie actress, obviously has a different pedigree than the hillbilly Holly.

But as played by Ms. Hecht, Julie possesses an unworldly worldliness that Holly’s creator, Truman Capote, would have appreciated. Her gracious, willful whimsicality allows her to keep moving as if life were a lovely, lovely, dream even when all the evidence screams that the opposite is true.

I found myself thinking of Kitty Carlisle Hart, the actress and socialite, who might be considered spiritual kin to Julie. “I believe in denial,” Hart said in a 1993 interview with Marie Brenner in The New Yorker. “Denial is a marvelous thing.”

Why yes it is, at least when it’s applied in the high style that a Julie or a Kitty brings to it.

by Anonymousreply 28004/17/2013

Santo Loquasto used to be incredibly hot back in his younger days.

by Anonymousreply 28104/17/2013

Lynn will never win--Bartlett Sher for Golden Boy

by Anonymousreply 28204/17/2013

Jesus H. Christ, Ben Brantley really only knows how to write one type of (positive) review, doesn't he? I just to think that it can't be - but it's really true isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 28304/17/2013

I saw a preview of Orphans tonight. It was terrible and I left at intermission. I wonder what the reviews will be like when it opens.

by Anonymousreply 28404/17/2013

r284=Shia

by Anonymousreply 28504/17/2013

R285 You beat me to it.

by Anonymousreply 28604/17/2013

Santo has a very big cock, too.

by Anonymousreply 28704/18/2013

I'm still scratching my head for the overall mixed to positive reviews for "The Nance". This play is a mess. The writing is all over the place. Nathan is Nathan and for me, that's good. I enjoy his yelling and overdramatized moments. Orsini's cock and ass are the best things about this play and I would probably give my left nut to see his hard on. Anyway, back to the awful writing of this play. Beane gets a pass because the subject matter is being secretly gay in a society that frowns on it back in the 30's. Could have been so much more interesting but it's Beane, so we can't expect too much. The theater queens critics love that shit so I guess that's what the reviews were based on. I did enjoy the burlesque scenes even though there was too much of it. There was actually too much of everything except Orsini.

by Anonymousreply 28804/18/2013

r288, none of the reviews I've seen of "The Nance" had particularly nice things to say about Beane's script. The positivity was for Nathan and his costars.

by Anonymousreply 28904/18/2013

r205, to quote Mandelbaum, "Don't musicalize works that don't need music." Tennessee Williams doesn't need music. It's already grand opera as it is.

by Anonymousreply 29004/18/2013

As disappointing as The Nance is, it will still win Tonys for Nathan, John Lee Beatty's set and Ann Roth's costumes and whoever lit the damn thing.

4 Tonys for a flop is not bad.

by Anonymousreply 29104/18/2013

I'll pass. I have no desire to see Nathan do yet another variation of his patented poor sad/angry/bitchy gay-clown-laughing-through-tears thing ever again.

by Anonymousreply 29204/18/2013

Why Douglas Carter Beane continues to get a pass from the critics is a great question. The Nance is a mess. His "work" on Cinderella is leaden and mis-guided. Sister Act was just plain bad. Don't get it

by Anonymousreply 29304/18/2013

Maybe because people actually enjoy his work and aren't jealous and have a need to shit on every successful out gay man?

by Anonymousreply 29404/18/2013

[quote]Maybe because people actually enjoy his work and aren't jealous and have a need to shit on every successful out gay man?

Hey, Douglas Carter Beane's agent posts on Datalounge. Who knew?

by Anonymousreply 29504/18/2013

I'm not a crazy fan of Beane's work, but The Nance is the best thing he's written since Little Dog Laughed.

Mr. and Mrs. Fitch this ain't.

Nathan is excellent too, as well as the supporting cast. I don't think he has the Tony in the bag by any stretch though. The best male performance of the year is a tie between Tracy Letts and Seth Numrich. Tom Hanks has star power and David Hyde Pierce has the flashiest monologue to deliver of the whole bunch.

by Anonymousreply 29604/18/2013

[quote]I'm not a crazy fan of Beane's work, but The Nance is the best thing he's written since Little Dog Laughed.

Damnably faint praise, that.

And "you're just jealous 'cause he's so popular!" is a response better left to 14 year old girls.

by Anonymousreply 29704/18/2013

Cory Michael Smith would have done much better in The Nance, and not that Orsini could have saved the disaster that is Tiffany's, but he would have been better suited for the part.

You're right R298. Someone with real craft could have written a knockout play with this source material.

by Anonymousreply 29904/18/2013

Kazee performing at 54 Below 5/10 and 11. I guess voice has recovered?

by Anonymousreply 30004/18/2013

R300 So you can see into the future?

by Anonymousreply 30104/18/2013

No, I think R300 may have just checked the calendar for 54 below, R301.

by Anonymousreply 30204/18/2013

And Kazee has started promoting it.

by Anonymousreply 30304/18/2013

[quote] Why Douglas Carter Beane continues to get a pass from the critics is a great question. The Nance is a mess. His "work" on Cinderella is leaden and mis-guided. Sister Act was just plain bad. Don't get it

Because applauding the Fabulous Funny Gay is much easier than watching work that challenges the norm.

The same reason Paul Rudnick still gets a check, too, looooooooong after his sell by date.

by Anonymousreply 30404/18/2013

jesse21 is also a bartender/gogo boy at The Ritz.

by Anonymousreply 30604/18/2013

jesse21 is 65 years old.

by Anonymousreply 30704/18/2013

Yes but he was young once.

by Anonymousreply 30804/18/2013

Jesse21...is the "21" his age? his birth year? or his IQ?

by Anonymousreply 30904/18/2013

[quote] Yes but he was young once.

Was he beautiful then?

by Anonymousreply 31004/18/2013

Thank you for this, Charles Isherwood:

"Frank Wildhorn musicals: the crab grass of Broadway. Although they have been liberally sprayed with herbicidal reviews ever since the first, “Jekyll & Hyde,” opened in 1997, they have continued to sprout every few years"

by Anonymousreply 31104/18/2013

Is Charles Isherwood that old dinosaur known as a critic? Critics mean nothing to anyone today. Well, except rabid theater queens.

by Anonymousreply 31204/18/2013

We know r312, you post a variation of the same sentiment in every post.

by Anonymousreply 31304/18/2013

by:

Chris Isherwood, Ben Brantley, etc all getting $$$$ for our opinions while you give it away for free r312.

by Anonymousreply 31404/18/2013

Who do you know who DOESN'T hit refresh on every opening night until the Times review is posted?! Of course critics are important!

by Anonymousreply 31504/18/2013

If she's smart, Judith Light will put herself in the Supporting Actress category and take home a second Tony in back-to-back years for THE ASSEMBLED PARTIES. Brantley may have cum all over Jessica Hecht (and she is VERY VERY good and deserves a nomination and may very well win Best Actress), but Light's character work is superb, her presence and comic timing are impeccable, and she is a HUGE help to a play that feels overlong and underwritten at the same time.

And Santo's set is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 31604/19/2013

Beane gets a pass because he was foisted upon us by the critics. If they blast him now, they look like fools.

by Anonymousreply 31704/19/2013

Dame Brantley's makes a point and contradicts herself in the very next sentence.

The first problem with Mr. Sullivan’s production is that nobody exudes a sense of, or even a sense of hunger for, power. The arguable exception is Mr. Sturridge, who portrays Phillip, the agoraphobic, seemingly autistic brother who stays at home while the older

by Anonymousreply 31804/19/2013

Sorry R316, but Judith Light isn't getting Tony #2 - Kristine Nielsen will be getting Tony #1 this year.

by Anonymousreply 31904/19/2013

Great news! Winter Garden will be FREE at last!!

by Anonymousreply 32004/19/2013

Why would the regulation-size ring soar out over the audience? You pay $400 premium seats to see the bottom of a boxing ring?

by Anonymousreply 32104/19/2013

But Rocky will take its place :(

by Anonymousreply 32204/19/2013

R318, the addition of "arguable" to the word "exception" means that you MIGHT could argue that there's an exception. How is that a contradiction? I don't care about his reviews one way or another, but please learn to comprehend what you're reading before spouting off.

by Anonymousreply 32304/19/2013

Scandoulous or Jekyll And Hyde

by Anonymousreply 32404/19/2013

Yay! The Winter Garden's getting freed up! I love that theatre. I can't wait to see what wonderful new musical opens next in... What's that? Oh, shit.

by Anonymousreply 32504/19/2013

Just caught the commercial for Annie- couldn't they have found a cuter girl? this little moppet is freakish looking- though not quite as ugly as Willow Smith. Jane will find great motivation to hate her.

by Anonymousreply 32604/19/2013

I went to see The Nance last night. Terrific cast. They all deliver. So does Nathan, who is always playing a variation of Nathan. It's an interesting period of time that I am not that familiar with. And it's a good contrast to Fiorello! which was at Encores a few months ago.

by Anonymousreply 32704/19/2013

The Winter Garden was so dirty and disgusting at the end of the Cats run it was referred to as "The Litter Box"

by Anonymousreply 32804/19/2013

I hope that Isherwood's "crab grass" remark will inspire someone to finally look at seriously how all this crap has been continually produced. He never gets good reviews, and he never makes money. How did he manage to get 8 shows on Broadway. There's the story...

by Anonymousreply 32904/19/2013

Molly Pope. It's like she's been beamed in from 1958.

by Anonymousreply 33004/19/2013

R329, He never makes money in NYC. He is actually very profitable in Europe and outside the USA. He may also have a market in US regional theater. Actually, Dracula sounded a lot better in German ;-)

by Anonymousreply 33104/19/2013

What Wildhorn flop will Jeff Calhoun direct next?

by Anonymousreply 33204/19/2013

Maybe they'll bring back Bonnie & Clyde for you, Laura, and you can finally win that Tony.

by Anonymousreply 33304/19/2013

CIVIL WAR is long overdue for a first class revival.

by Anonymousreply 33404/19/2013

R330 Looks like a flatter version of Christina Hendricks.

by Anonymousreply 33504/19/2013

"Why would the regulation-size ring soar out over the audience? You pay $400 premium seats to see the bottom of a boxing ring?"

Thanks for asking, R321. I didn't understand that either.

I also enjoyed Isherwood's crabgrass remark, but come on! For several years now, lots of people have been openly expressing bewilderment as to why Wildhorn's shows keep getting produced on Broadway. Isherwood doesn't deserve any special credit for doing the same thing.t

by Anonymousreply 33604/19/2013

There is no life for Wildhorn in Regional theatres.

by Anonymousreply 33704/19/2013

Civil War was one of the most offensive pieces of theatre I've ever seen. It was Frank Wildhorn saying "it doesn't matter what actually happened and when; just how we feel about it, and simple pop music makes us feel." Amazing. I wanted to burn the theatre down.

by Anonymousreply 33804/19/2013

Was walking by the Eugene O'Neill and heard that Boston's touring Book of Nomrom has been cancelled from the l city wide Boston lock down. Sending good thoughts/

Maryann

by Anonymousreply 33904/19/2013

I've worked with Frank (once, and never again). He is the ultimate narcissist -- the worst I've ever met and I've been around this business for 20 years. He will immediately begin telling you everything about himself, his company, his worldwide productions and how he is a corporation. He even tried the fuckin' clive davis quote on me. He surrounds himself only with people who have drunk the kool-aid, and repeat how wonderful he is, and how someday everyone will understand his greatness. He's not even a trained musician. He can't read music. On the project I worked on for him, anyone who at all challenged him was banished or fired.

I remember witnessing a conversation he was having with a choreographer, and the choreographer was gently suggesting that the song perhaps needed a second draft. (The first draft was written in two hours -- I'm not kidding. Idea at 10 am.; Song at noon. ) The choreographer was eventually screamed at, concluding with "Don't you know a fucking grammy winning song when you hear it?!"

The choreographer was fired the next day. The show tanked big time.

by Anonymousreply 34004/19/2013

Will Scandalous get nominated for anything? Especially after the terrible way it was treated by the critics? They deliberately went out of their way to savage the show because of their hatred of Kathie Lee. Nevermind that the woman who played Aimee gave one of the best performances Broadway has seen in years.

This is a show that will be rediscovered somewhere down the road as the classic it really is. And Kathie Lee will eventually get her due as a premier Broadway composer.

by Anonymousreply 34104/19/2013

341 = Cody Gifford

by Anonymousreply 34204/19/2013

I don't know if you're kidding r341, but Carolee Carmello will surely be nominated for playing Aimee in Scandalous.

Other than Laura Osnes in Cinderella and the Matildas, who else would be eligible this season for that category?

Kinky Boots, Pippin, Jeckyll & Hyde, Motown, Hands on a Hardbody....none have female leads. Have they determined if Annie or Hannigan are leads? Am I forgetting anyone/thing?

This has been a dreadful season for Broadway divas.

by Anonymousreply 34304/19/2013

Hey, what about me!

by Anonymousreply 34404/19/2013

Patina Miller will be taking home the Tony this year.

by Anonymousreply 34504/19/2013

Well, ok.....

Patina

4 Matilda girls

Laura Osnes

maybe someone from Annie

Carolee Carmello

by Anonymousreply 34604/19/2013

I can fill one of the spot!

by Anonymousreply 34704/20/2013

"Why would the regulation-size ring soar out over the audience? You pay $400 premium seats to see the bottom of a boxing ring? Thanks for asking...I didn't understand that either.

But just think! The audience will have the privilege of getting drenched with the actors' sweat during the fight scene, while being bombarded by Eye of the Tiger or some bland A&F tune.

by Anonymousreply 34804/20/2013

The Tony for Best Actress in a Musical will be between the 4 Matildas and Patina.

Laura Osnes, Lilla Crawford and most likely Carolee will be nominated with them.

Of course the nominating committee might want to send a message to Scandalous that they REALLY hated it and could snub her. Stephanie J Block could take her spot for Drood, but Carolee is much beloved and should be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 34904/20/2013

What's wrong with writing a song in two hours? That seems like plenty of time. There is a long Broadway history of writing last minute songs for Broadway shows while out of town or in previews.

by Anonymousreply 35004/20/2013

I doubt that some on the Tony nominating committee were part of the hundreds of people who saw Scandalous. But I did know Tony voters who never saw all of the shows and would do an eeny meeny miney mo when they cast their ballots....so who knows.

by Anonymousreply 35104/20/2013

Actor:

Santino Fontana – “Cinderella”

Rob McClure – “Chaplin”

Billy Porter – “Kinky Boots”

Stark Sands – “Kinky Boots”

Anthony Warlow – “Annie”

Actress

Stephanie J. Block – “The Mystery of Edwin Drood”

Lilla Crawford – “Annie”

The Matilda Quartet – “Matilda The Musical”

Patina Miller – “Pippin”

Laura Osnes – “Cinderella”

by Anonymousreply 35204/20/2013

[quote]Why would the regulation-size ring soar out over the audience? You pay $400 premium seats to see the bottom of a boxing ring? Thanks for asking...I didn't understand that either.

Has anyone seen ROCKY DAS MUSICAL? (It amuses me to type that out.) I keep hearing about this boxing ring going out over the audience. How does that work and why? That just sounds gimmicky and bizarre.

As for best actress in a musical, I actually think Stephanie J. Block has a better chance of getting nominated than Carolee Carmello. Carmello deserves a gold medal for carrying that show on her back, but there's a weird group-think that settles in, and I suspect the nominators are going to want to punish the show and all involved.

by Anonymousreply 35304/20/2013

Throw out Block, no one liked Drood either, but Carmello got universal raves, and not just from critics.

by Anonymousreply 35404/20/2013

I think they would rather nominated Erin Dilly or the two cheerleaders in Bring it On before Carollee.

The last time they nominated an actress in a musical disaster was Dee Hoty in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. They were ridiculed for that and have tried hard never to do that again.

by Anonymousreply 35504/20/2013

If Scandalous were as good as Whorehouse it would still be running.

by Anonymousreply 35604/20/2013

Well, in all fairness R355, Carmello did get nominated for LESTAT, didn't she?

by Anonymousreply 35704/20/2013

What the hell was Erin Dilly in?

by Anonymousreply 35804/20/2013

A Christmas Story.

by Anonymousreply 35904/20/2013

I might have got a nom if it wasn't for that bloody kid!

by Anonymousreply 36004/20/2013

Caroline O' Connor would be supporting, and I think she'd be nominated, except she and her show stopper number aren't on the (non) cast album.

I see the musical men as;

Anthony Warlow Rob McClure Billy Porter Bertie Carvel John Bolton Matthew james Thomas

with one getting bumped

It's a real interesting year.

by Anonymousreply 36204/20/2013

Yes people. Don't forget about Christmas story

by Anonymousreply 36304/20/2013

You can see from this clip how "Jekyll & Hyde" is a blatant knockoff of "Phantom of the Opera." This performer throws in a Colm Wilkinson squeal now and then as a little megamusical lagniappe. If this ran four years on Broadway, no wonder the investors keep whipping their wallets out.

by Anonymousreply 36404/20/2013

Keep whipping their wallets out for Wildhorn, I whent to whay.

by Anonymousreply 36504/20/2013

Actually, that clip from Jekyll looks pretty good - much better than the current revival. Cucciioli is a credible actor and makes the material seem less comic book.

by Anonymousreply 36604/20/2013

Andrea McArdle told a story about auditioning for Wildhorn. She came in and asked what she had prepared, and she told him. He said he'd rather hear one of his songs, and "don't worry, you can just do 'This is the Moment'" She replied that she didn't know that song, and he tore into her and asked her to leave.

by Anonymousreply 36704/20/2013

I think what makes this a more "interesting" year concerning the Tony nominees is because no one is great and clearly deserving.

by Anonymousreply 36804/20/2013

Wildhorn makes Lloyd Webber look like Beethoven and Bach rolled into one in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 36904/20/2013

Ohmygawd! Has everyone seen that Bette Midler clip from the Sue Mengers show? Bette is just sitting there saying the lines as herself, as if she's reading from an autobiography! She's not bothering to act at all. She's just reading her lines as Bette Midler as i she were onstage in her concerts telling a joke. It's embarrassing. THIS is the part they WANT us to see?

by Anonymousreply 37004/21/2013

Here's an "uproarious" moment from Bette's show.

The word is... underwhelming. Good thing it's a limited engagement.

No fucking way is she getting a Tony nom.

by Anonymousreply 37104/21/2013

The punch line doesn't work. French Connection began filming Nov 1970. Casting discussions would have been, at the latest, summer of 1970. Who the hell knew who James Coco was then? He was still doing Last of the Red Hot Lovers then, and was known in Hollywood as a bit player.

by Anonymousreply 37204/21/2013

The idea of sitting through an evening of that is really... unappealing.

I'd much rather see BUYERS AND CELLARS.

by Anonymousreply 37304/21/2013

Wouldn't Matthew James Thomas be in supporting?

by Anonymousreply 37404/21/2013

In what world is the title character who is in virtually every single scene and musical number in the supporting category?

by Anonymousreply 37504/21/2013

I would assume Pippin would put Pippin and the Leading Player in Lead and everyone else in featured, especially since the Leading Player is an actress and Matthew James Thomas won't compete for a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 37604/21/2013

Cucciolli's curtain call in the original J&H was the campiest thing I've ever seen on Broadway. It wouldn't have been out of place in an SCTV skit.

by Anonymousreply 37704/21/2013

Do tell, R377.

by Anonymousreply 37804/21/2013

I realize this has turned into the Tony nominations thread, but no one has any other intel on MJT and his tight bright white body?

by Anonymousreply 37904/21/2013

Oh God, I'll never forget it. The show was bad enough, but the curtain call topped it.

Everyone came out and bowed like a normal human being. But then Cootch did this slow seductive, cat-like walk down to the lip of the stage, one foot directly in front of the other, his lips pursed and his eyes narrowed to noble slits. When he got to his spike mark, he raised one hand up with a flourish, Lauren-Bacall-in-Women-Of-The-Year-style, released his abdominal muscles and violently folded in two like a piece of paper. It was all very Master Thespian. I wish I could properly convey what his face looked like when he was doing this. It was like the applause and cheers (and in all fairness, the crowd was eating it up) was feeding his Katra life essence.

by Anonymousreply 38004/21/2013

Bette sounds like she's still channeling Sophie Tucker in that clip.

Pretty caftan, though...

by Anonymousreply 38104/21/2013

Carmello deserves a Tony. Older Tony voters remember when her husband was lynched after that factory murder. She deserved a Tony then especially since she stood by him during the trial instead of visiting her sister in Savannah.

by Anonymousreply 38204/21/2013

Wait just a God damn minute R382!

by Anonymousreply 38304/21/2013

Video montage of the new production of PIPPIN

by Anonymousreply 38404/21/2013

R372 The play takes place in the early 80's. So yes, the punchline does work.

She's recounting her career while waiting for the phone to ring. What the fuck do you want her to do? If she were running around with her arms flapping you'd say she was overacting. Jeez.

by Anonymousreply 38504/21/2013

Respectable reviews of Big Fish coming out of Chicago. Anybody see it? Seem to recall The Addams Family was well-received there also, so I'm skeptical.

by Anonymousreply 38604/21/2013

Bette-Get off of my back!- That looks like 90 minutes of nothingness. All yours for $140. Why do people laugh just because someone curses? No nomination. Haven't seen it but the way critics are being generous this season, it may get good reviews.

by Anonymousreply 38704/21/2013

Andrew Lippa is a hack of the highest order.

by Anonymousreply 38804/21/2013

Bette's so sensitive. How is going to handle being panned on Friday? She seems like a flight risk.

by Anonymousreply 38904/21/2013

140 fucking dollars to see Bette do the same shtick she's done since Year One?

Jesus, that woman is delusional.

by Anonymousreply 39004/21/2013

I saw I'll Eat You Last. It was fine, but nothing special. Lots of jokes about 60s and 70s movie stars that won't mean a thing to younger audience members. Bette indeed sits there the entire play.

R385- Have you seen Ann, The Testament of Mary and Macbeth? There's A LOT you can do with a one person play than just sit there. (Well Macbeth has two other actors who barely speak, but it's basically a one-man show.)

by Anonymousreply 39104/21/2013

Holy SHIT! Those clips of "The Bette Show" are awful - they ain't doing the show ANY favors!

"I'll never forget it - you know?!"

by Anonymousreply 39304/21/2013

I agree R392. The audiences are in love with this play, which is doing big business right now.

Midler at the very least deserves a nomination. She is Mengers, and the resemblance is chilling.

by Anonymousreply 39404/21/2013

Can we talk about the Sutton Foster-Kelli O'Hara fued

Will these two bitches ever kiss and make up?

by Anonymousreply 39504/21/2013

Midler's Mengele would be portrayed the exact same way.

by Anonymousreply 39604/21/2013

Are there any film clips out there of Sue Mengers talking? She doesn't even have to be moving much as Bette doesn't attempt that.

I wish someone young and clever woud find them and post them here so we could compare and contrast the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 39704/21/2013

I never miss a Bette Midler play!

by Anonymousreply 39804/21/2013

They should change the title to "The Testament Of Sophie". Audiences could give a shit about a foul mouthed Jewish yenta named Sue Mengers that they never heard of. They are going so they can tell their friends that they saw Bette live. Just like they are going to that awful play about Mike McInery or whatever his name was, so that they can brag about seeing Tom Hanks live.

by Anonymousreply 39904/21/2013

R375-Ask Michael Cerveris about getting nominated for Featured actor playing the title role in TOMMY.

R377-That curtain call of Cuccioli's made me despise him for years and ruined the evening for me, which was pretty dismal as it was.

by Anonymousreply 40004/21/2013

Well, was John Rubenstein nominated for Best Actor for playing the original Pippin?

I'll never understand why he didn't win more accolades and attention for that performance. He was just perfection in every way.

by Anonymousreply 40104/21/2013

Playing the eponymous lead in a Broadway musical is no guarantee of top billing or a Best Actor/Actress nomination.

by Anonymousreply 40204/21/2013

So, The Prince of Broadway is premiering in Tokyo. It all sounds so desperate. Also, what's up with Prince's generally fucked up choice of material to work with these past few years? That floperetta thing at the Menier sounded like dreck.

by Anonymousreply 40304/21/2013

John Rubinstein wasn't nominated for Pippin at all. If he had been, he still would have lost to Vereen.

Pippin and the Leading Player are the two stars of PIPPIN. If Matthew James Tighty-Whities gets nominated, it will be in Best Actor.

by Anonymousreply 40504/21/2013

Who are the deranged Bette Midler fans who have shown up here? They sound feeble-minded.

by Anonymousreply 40604/21/2013

The resemblance to Sue Mengers is chilling - it's very daring of Bette to play her as a corpse!

by Anonymousreply 40704/21/2013

No R406 we just appreciate true quality.

by Anonymousreply 40804/21/2013

Midler still has fans?

by Anonymousreply 40904/21/2013

I'm a fan of Better Midler but will probably not see her show. That doesn't mean she isn't a tremendous talent, it's just too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 41004/21/2013

[quote]Midler still has fans?

Yes, and both of them are posting here.

by Anonymousreply 41104/21/2013

Yes, but it's just dishing dirt about celebrities. It's the National Enquirer on Broadway,

by Anonymousreply 41304/22/2013

R355, you mean The Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public

by Anonymousreply 41404/22/2013

Could Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public be salvaged? The plot sounds as idiotic as Sister Act 2, but a handful of songs are excellent.

by Anonymousreply 41504/22/2013

Saw that Annie documentary, Life After Tomorrow, about all these grown women who played Annie and/or orphans on B'way or Nat'l tours (including SJP). It's fucking brutal!

by Anonymousreply 41604/22/2013

BREAKING: Ms. Isherwood likes the Alan Cumming MACBETH less on second viewing!

by Anonymousreply 41704/22/2013

Saw the Midler over the weekend. It's her doing her Sophie Tucker stuff from 30 years of concerts on a couch in a Caftan. It's basically one bitchy story after another, and it will sell to the self-loathing film business insider crowd that comes to Manhattan once a year in the Spring. It's not a play. If you know Bette's work, its the same rhythms and schtick that you love in small doses, but is only so-so in this format. She doesn't look all that comfortable, but she is game. I don't expect a Tony nomination, in which case I wouldn't want to be her agent or her dresser.

by Anonymousreply 41804/22/2013

Word from people who went to the Chicago opening of Big Fish is it's a flop. Chris Jones' review is supportive (he is for every pre-B'way) but the inside line is its an unfixable mess. Stroman again proves she's not the first choice for new musicals. Good luck, Bullets Over Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 41904/22/2013

So happy Ishy called out Macbeth for the subpar endeavor it is. A vanity project of the first order.

by Anonymousreply 42004/22/2013

[quote]So happy Ishy called out Macbeth for the subpar endeavor it is. A vanity project of the first order.

And?

by Anonymousreply 42104/22/2013

Outer Critics Circle noms announced.

by Anonymousreply 42204/22/2013

Will Bette bring in Bruce Vilanch to write some zingers for her? Did he write her material back in the day? If not, who did and is he available?

by Anonymousreply 42304/22/2013

[quote]Outer Critics Circle noms announced.

What? Nothing for "Bombshell" or "Hit List"?

by Anonymousreply 42404/22/2013

Can't wait to hear Kathie Lee's reaction to the Outer Critics Circle noms.

by Anonymousreply 42504/22/2013

The Alan Cumming MACBETH sounds like a great Fringe show...Broadway - not so much!

by Anonymousreply 42604/22/2013

Morgan James is playing Studio 54, but I heard she sucks.

by Anonymousreply 42704/22/2013

With NY Theatre awards it always feels like they can barely fill up the categories. Hard to believe all of that work is so outstanding when most of those shows barely ran.

by Anonymousreply 42804/22/2013

Who let the two dames on SMASH Saturday night pronounce pauper like amyl nitrate, not once, but twice?

"I've been a puppet, a POPPER, a pirate, a poet-a pawn and a king"......

by Anonymousreply 42904/22/2013

Oh for fuck's sake, who gives a shit, r429? You're probably the only one who noticed.

by Anonymousreply 43004/22/2013

R428 they snubbed Patti Lupone and Debra Winger.

As well as Tyne Daly and Laurie Metcalf.

by Anonymousreply 43104/22/2013

R430 The only one who noticed? I highly doubt it. Changing the lyrics? Someone probably noticed that as well. But hell, Sinatra probably never sang the lyrics as written.

by Anonymousreply 43204/22/2013

pauper = paw-per

popper = pah-per

by Anonymousreply 43404/22/2013

The Prince and the Pauper=novel by Mark Twain

The Prince and the Popper=80's gay porn film

by Anonymousreply 43504/23/2013

r434, that makes no sense. They are both pronounced paw-per. Where are you from? Michigan?

by Anonymousreply 43604/23/2013

It is a very subtle distinction. Pawwwwwwwper....Popper.

by Anonymousreply 43704/23/2013

Girls! Girls! You're probably both paupers!

by Anonymousreply 43804/23/2013

Poppies!

by Anonymousreply 43904/23/2013

Maybe Fiona Shaw won't get a Tony Nom...

by Anonymousreply 44004/23/2013

Dear God, the Schwa Queens of ATC have taken over this thread.

by Anonymousreply 44104/23/2013

I love poppers. Especially the jalapeno ones!

by Anonymousreply 44204/23/2013

Wow- the Outer Critics sure gave a big FU to Matilda. Did the little girls cry cause they didn't get nominated?

by Anonymousreply 44304/23/2013

[quote]they snubbed Patti Lupone and Debra Winger.

[quote]As well as Tyne Daly and Laurie Metcalf.

For what was Tyne Daly supposed to be nominated?

by Anonymousreply 44404/23/2013

Popper? I don't even know her!

by Anonymousreply 44504/23/2013

Tyne Daly appeared as Maria Calas in Master Class last summer.

by Anonymousreply 44604/23/2013

Master Class was summer of 2011.

by Anonymousreply 44704/23/2013

Ben Brantley is a certifiable idiot.

Much better written review that provides a clear illustration of The Testament of Mary in The Hollywood Reporter by somebody who can actually write.

by Anonymousreply 44804/23/2013

I actually think the critics missed the boat with Cumming's MACBETH, though I blame it on the marketing/producing team.

It was fairly clear to me that this wasn't actually a production of Shakespeare's MACBETH. It was a play about a man in a mental institution who (spoiler deleted), and it simply employs the MACBETH text to tell this guy's story. If they'd called it MADMAN or ASYLUM or SLEEP NO MORE (oops) or anything other than MACBETH, I think the critics might have been more receptive.

by Anonymousreply 44904/23/2013

I'm glad the NYT called Fiona Shaw out on that waste of time at the Kerr. When do they post notice?

by Anonymousreply 45004/23/2013

[quote]The only one who noticed? I highly doubt it.

TRUE DAT!

by Anonymousreply 45104/23/2013

I loathe Fiona Shaw, what a pretentious ham.

by Anonymousreply 45204/23/2013

Drama League noms announced.

by Anonymousreply 45304/23/2013

Has anyone posted an opinion on Murder Ballad? Or has anyone seen Here Lies Love? The first sounds sort of interesting; the second sounds like a 1990 nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 45404/23/2013

Well, now that Fiona Shaw seems to be out of the picture, maybe Holland or Cicely will have a chance at that Tony.

by Anonymousreply 45504/23/2013

Will Fiona ever be forgiven for The Black Dahlia?

by Anonymousreply 45604/23/2013

If Carolee Carmello couldn't get a Drama League nom in a category with SIXTY other nominees, there's not chance for any other recognition, is there?

by Anonymousreply 45704/23/2013

Did Carmello already win one, perhaps. That would make her ineligeble, right?

by Anonymousreply 45804/23/2013

[quote] Will Fiona ever be forgiven for The Black Dahlia?

Or Three Men & A Little Lady?

by Anonymousreply 45904/23/2013

Really enjoyed Murder Ballad at MTC

by Anonymousreply 46004/23/2013

R458 I don't think so, or she would've been listed with the other previous winners right below.

by Anonymousreply 46104/23/2013

I think the Best Actress in a Play will go either to Tyson or Hecht. Poor desperate Holland is trying WAY too hard.

by Anonymousreply 46204/23/2013

Tyson and Hecht are both giving excellent performances, and Tyson is in the better play. I think she'll end up winning by a landslide.

by Anonymousreply 46304/23/2013

Is JEKYLL posting closing tonight? You know the Nederlanders ain't gonna float this thing.

by Anonymousreply 46404/23/2013

It's a limited stop on the national tour R464. 12 weeks. Isn't it selling well to the Wildhorn freaks?

by Anonymousreply 46504/23/2013

No noms for Ivy Lynn :(

by Anonymousreply 46604/23/2013

J&H was selling poorly in Chicago. Discounts and freebies everywhere. I doubt it's going to do that much better elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 46704/23/2013

No one associated with "The Black Dahlia" deserves forgiveness, and that includes James Ellroy.

by Anonymousreply 46804/23/2013

Jekyll's numbers last week were terrible. The reviews were terrible. They're gone.

by Anonymousreply 46904/23/2013

So it sounds like we may be spared from Flashdance the Musical for at least another season.

by Anonymousreply 47004/23/2013

The failure of "The Black Dahlia" falls squarely on the manly shoulders of Hillary Swank, who couldn't pass herself off as a femme fatale if her life depended on it.

by Anonymousreply 47104/23/2013

Opening night tix to Bountiful tonight on TKTS. No C list celebrities wanted to attend? Was Corbin Bleu there?

by Anonymousreply 47204/23/2013

Matthew Murray HATES Here Lives Love so it must be brilliant!

The man proclaims love for musical theater but has yet to meet one he loves!

by Anonymousreply 47304/23/2013

Jessica Hecht will be nominated in supporting (she is below the title, and MTC won't fight for her to be in lead) and will win. She can't beat Tyson, but she can beat Light (since she already won) and the chick for Virginia Woolf.

by Anonymousreply 47404/23/2013

First of all, Isherwood reviewed TESTAMENT OF MARY, not Brantley, and secondly, all the other major reviews were quite positive, so don't count Shaw out for a nomination so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 47504/23/2013

Oh, sh*t, it was Brantley. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 47604/23/2013

Jessica Hecht will NOT win in featured. That award belongs solely to Kristine Nielsen.

MTC would be stupid not to petition Hecht for Leading Actress as there isn't enough room for both Hecht and Light to be nominated in the same category. You're right that Hecht won't beat Tyson, but she won't beat Nielsen either. The nomination will be her award.

by Anonymousreply 47704/23/2013

You shouldn't be using poppers anyway unless you want to fuck up your vision.

by Anonymousreply 47804/23/2013

I don't think NYT hated Fiona at all. They hated the direction. I agree. Let this amazing woman speak and stop with all the fuckin random props and ladders and bottles and water. Trust your actress and script. I hate Brantley but he got this review right.

by Anonymousreply 47904/24/2013

A friend and I heard about Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig planning to do "Betrayal" this fall as well as Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart in "No Man's Land" and are thinking of coming up in December to see them. Where and when should be looking to get tickets?

by Anonymousreply 48004/24/2013

Disappointed that The Testament of Mary wasn't a greatest hits of datalounge monologue.

by Anonymousreply 48104/24/2013

Stewart and McKellen are doing two plays in rep: No Man's Land and Waiting for Godot, so if you're big fans, you're going to want to see both.

by Anonymousreply 48204/24/2013

OPening night tickets to Broadway shows are often at TKTS because producers can't expect even D List celebs to sit in the bleachers (though I've seen many sitting off to the far sides of the orchestra.

I saw Barnum's opening night thru TKTS decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 48304/24/2013

Michael Riedel is now Bette's apologist. She's a shoo-in for a nom per him, along with Fiona, Hecht, Metcalfe, and Holland Tunnel.

"Poor Bette, it took her awhile to get her Broadway legs back!"

by Anonymousreply 48404/24/2013

You really believe Cicely Tyson will NOT get a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 48504/24/2013

[quote]Matthew Murray HATES Here Lives Love so it must be brilliant!

The man proclaims love for musical theater but has yet to meet one he loves!

Not true. Matthew, who goes by the nickname "Western Actor" loves all things FOLLIES. Oh, and if you ever meet him, be sure and call him Wes. You'll be his friend for life!

by Anonymousreply 48604/24/2013

wit and wisdom for R481

by Anonymousreply 48704/24/2013

I heart R481. And I really want to see that onstage. After his recitation of the Sorority Meltdown email, I vote for Michael Shannon to do it as a one man show.

by Anonymousreply 48804/24/2013

Unfortunately, great British actors have a habit of scheduling limited runs of classic plays in New York City when I'm not able to get anywhere near them, so no John Hurt's "Krapp's Last Tape," Rickman's "John Gabriel Borkman," and now no Stewart-McKellen double feature for me.

I'm gonna see Nathan in "The Nance" next month, though. *sprains eyes rolling them

by Anonymousreply 48904/24/2013

I was surprised how poorly attended "Bountiful" was the night I saw it. Audience very responsive but quite small.

by Anonymousreply 49004/24/2013

Of course Tyson will be nommed, R485. Reidel is deliberately trying to pre-emptively lower her chances against Midler by acting like she's not even in contention to be nominated. What's the connex here for why he has become Midler's shill?

by Anonymousreply 49104/24/2013

The movie "Bountiful" was a huge bore, I'm sure this version is even worse. Bad idea, I'm sure they could find a better more current, hip vehicle for Cicely.

by Anonymousreply 49204/24/2013

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flashdance postponed Broadway opening. I wanted to see Rachelle Rak shake her tits.

by Anonymousreply 49304/24/2013

The Help would make an interesting musical. Tyson could reprise her role as Constantine.

Fuck it. Bring back Caroline, or Change.

by Anonymousreply 49404/24/2013

OMG. AnnE is doing Sally in Cabaret, with Alan Cumming for freshness (will the Emcee become his new Dolly?) as co-star. September. No other news.

by Anonymousreply 49504/24/2013

I could imagine Hathaway pushing a new Cabaret movie but onstage is a surprise. Will be strange if Cumming reprises the role in yet another different staging of it.

by Anonymousreply 49604/24/2013

Reidel has succumb to the Shubert/CAA mafia again. They're all petrified that Bette won't get the nomination, so they've put out the pre-emptive strike.

by Anonymousreply 49704/24/2013

How many of the Shubert/CAA mafia are members of the Pink Mafia? Is Elton invited to meetings?

by Anonymousreply 49804/24/2013

I actually wouldn't mind seeing that production of CABARET again, but NOT with AnnE. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 49904/24/2013

Well, I would've thought Cumming didn't need the Emcee anymore, but if he's going to do it again, r495 might end up being right--it'll turn into his Dolly. It certainly served something of that role for Joel Grey after a point, even though he had plenty of other work.

by Anonymousreply 50004/24/2013

[quote]Reidel has succumb to the Shubert/CAA mafia again. They're all petrified that Bette won't get the nomination, so they've put out the pre-emptive strike.

ATC's Jesse21 Looooved the show and Midler too. Perhaps those that have actually seen the show enjoyed it and didn't judge it based on a thirty second film clip, or a Larry King appearance.

[quote]I could imagine Hathaway pushing a new Cabaret movie but onstage is a surprise. Will be strange if Cumming reprises the role in yet another different staging of it.

False rumor, denied today.

by Anonymousreply 50104/24/2013

It IS happening but WITHOUT Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 50204/24/2013

[quote]It IS happening but WITHOUT Hathaway.

Nothing happens WITHOUT Hathaway, R502. There is only WITHIN Hathaway. We are all but her imaginings, brought into existence merely to perpetuate Her greater glory. Read the FAQs in the future.

by Anonymousreply 50304/24/2013

Any chance of Midler's show being filmed?

She should have considered a supporting role in a musical - there's no way she'd go for the lead. Carlotta in Follies could have been interesting.

Any more word on Iris Rainer Dart's Beaches musical?

by Anonymousreply 50404/24/2013

It is happening R503. Trust me. I know. But Anne Hathaway is not in it. Alan Cumming is reprising the role of the Emcee.

Not everyone is as enamormed by Miss Hathaway as you and your friends might think. Imagine if she wanted to do it but they turned her down... sometimes 'impossible' things happen... every day. Even a snub, Oscar are no Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 50504/24/2013

[quote]Any more word on Iris Rainer Dart's Beaches musical?

It's being done at VA's Signature Theatre next season. It can't possibly be worse that PEOPLE IN THE PICTURE, can it?

by Anonymousreply 50604/24/2013

enamored.. sorry!

by Anonymousreply 50704/24/2013

I hope they case someone appropriately offbeat as Sally. No ingeues please.

by Anonymousreply 50804/24/2013

I hear Audra McDonald is playing Sally opposite Alan Cumming.

Could be true to since she sang some of Sally's songs with Anne at that Cabaret concert at Joes pub.

Will this be Tony #6 for Audra?

by Anonymousreply 50904/24/2013

Wow, Sheridan Smith would make a great Sally Bowles, actually.

So is this going to be the Rufus Norris production that was in the West End with Will Young? That's very risky. The Mendes production here was so highly acclaimed.

by Anonymousreply 51004/24/2013

Actually count me in as another one who thinks Sheridan would be a perfect Sally. She was amazing in LEGALLY B. in London and a good singer. Plus she'd have the accent down for Sally. Good call R508! I do know that Samantha Barks (LES MIZ movie) has been approached. She played Sally in the Rufus Norris version which is different from Mendes staging. Barks did the UK tour briefly.

by Anonymousreply 51104/24/2013

Kander confirms it and it's the Mendes version. Scroll down to the 4th article.

by Anonymousreply 51204/24/2013

Isn't Sally supposed to be a bad singer and a hot mess? If so, bring on Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 51304/24/2013

[quote] Isn't Sally supposed to be a bad singer and a hot mess?

Bring back Liza!

by Anonymousreply 51404/24/2013

Adam Chanler-Berat for Cliff!

by Anonymousreply 51504/24/2013

Nice Work is closing June 15! What will take the Imperial?

by Anonymousreply 51604/24/2013

If Beaches was happening in London it would probably have just used the movie soundtrack and Bette's back catalogue.

Which mightn't be a bad idea, given how mediocre the score for The People in the Picture is.

by Anonymousreply 51704/24/2013

[quote]Nice Work is closing June 15! What will take the Imperial?

Not us R516!

by Anonymousreply 51804/24/2013

Barks would be an awful Sally. She's got too strong a voice and Sally should be quirky, a quality Barks lacks.

by Anonymousreply 51904/24/2013

[quote]sometimes 'impossible' things happen... every day

I think RR is giving us a hint that legendary ingenue Vicki Clark will be playing Sally. What's the fly space like over at Studio 54?

by Anonymousreply 52004/24/2013

Imogen Poots, who played Jean Ross, the real-life inspiration for Sally Bowles, in the BBC TV movie "Christopher and his kind", might also make a good Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 52104/24/2013

If my birth name were "Imogen Poots", I sure as hell would have taken a stage name when I became an actress.

by Anonymousreply 52204/24/2013

Yes, what an awful name.

by Anonymousreply 52304/24/2013

What's the point of bringing Cumming back for CABARET? He's done it... I say put in Wesley Taylor as MC.

by Anonymousreply 52404/24/2013

You can play one of the "Two Ladies, Wes.

by Anonymousreply 52504/24/2013

Lindsay Lohan IS Sally Bowles. (Actually, she kind of is, in her personal life.)

by Anonymousreply 52604/24/2013

There's only one real fake Sue Mengers and it ain't Betty Middling.

Starts about 1 minute in.

by Anonymousreply 52704/24/2013

She was good in that film R521.

by Anonymousreply 52804/24/2013

More real fake Sue.

by Anonymousreply 52904/24/2013

Bringing Cumming back to Broadway to play the MC seems like a weird choice when there are so many other interesting things he could be doing. Maybe he has a new concept for the character he wants to try.

by Anonymousreply 53004/24/2013

[quote] Maybe he has a new concept for the character he wants to try.

He's going to play ALL the parts himself! And that includes the orchestra!

by Anonymousreply 53104/24/2013

My friend is a Tony voter and we're not seeing the Midler play until the end of May. If it doesn't get nominated, will they pull the tickets?

by Anonymousreply 53204/24/2013

[quote]My friend is a Tony voter and we're not seeing the Midler play until the end of May. If it doesn't get nominated, will they pull the tickets?

I'd be very surprised if TONY snubs Bette. You'll be seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 53304/24/2013

[quote]Wow, Sheridan Smith would make a great Sally Bowles, actually.

Yeah, now that would put asses in seats, whoever the hell he is.

If Academy Award winner Anne Hathaway were doing Broadway, she would be doing "My Fair Lady" with Academy Award winner Colin Firth. Oopps, did I say that out loud?

If Imogen Poots married Norbert Leo Butz she'd be....

by Anonymousreply 53404/24/2013

Alan Cumming is the draw this time out.

by Anonymousreply 53504/24/2013

Well, Midler walks away with every single review. So much for the question of her getting a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 53604/24/2013

Kelli O' Hara is Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 53704/24/2013

how about kate wetherheed as sally? anyone see her play it at dallas theater center?

by Anonymousreply 53804/24/2013

Wow, that NYTimes review of "I'll Eat You Last" is a rave. Flat out rave. It's Isherwood. But still, a rave.

Color me surprised.

by Anonymousreply 53904/24/2013

Jessie Mueller for ..... Fraulein Kost.

For Sally? Please, anyone but Sutton Bunheads Foster.

by Anonymousreply 54004/24/2013

Midler gets a nomination with this review in the NY Times:

In “I’ll Eat You Last,” a delectable soufflé of a solo show by John Logan that opened Wednesday night on Broadway, Bette Midler portrays the Hollywood agent Sue Mengers, who at the height of her reign in the 1970s could make a career merely by issuing an invitation to one of her A-list-only dinner parties. For a limited time, the tightly closed doors of the Beverly Hills aerie in which Mengers held court are being thrown open, and for the price of a ticket we all get to feel a little twinkly for a night.

It’s a heady sensation, thanks to the buoyant, witty writing of Mr. Logan (“Red”), the focused direction of Joe Mantello and above all to Ms. Midler, who gives the most lusciously entertaining performance of the Broadway season. Dropping names as if to the rhythm of a disco beat, snapping out wisecracks like acid-tipped darts that find the sweet spot every time, proffering profanity-laden advice about how to get ahead in show business: as the frank, brassy, foul-mouthed Mengers, who died in 2011, Ms. Midler cradles a spellbound audience in the palm of her hand from first joke to last toke. (Mengers’s love of celebrity was perhaps equaled only by her affection for marijuana.)

by Anonymousreply 54104/24/2013

R523 Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 54204/24/2013

ROMANCE ROMANCE!

IRENE!

GRAND HOTEL! Seriously, time for a revisical!

by Anonymousreply 54304/24/2013

Is there any movement on the Sally Bowels front?

by Anonymousreply 54404/25/2013

[quote] If my birth name were "Imogen Poots", I sure as hell would have taken a stage name when I became an actress.

Every time I see it, I see "Imagine Poops."

by Anonymousreply 54504/25/2013

Roundabout is bringing CABARET back because they are embarrassed by everything they have done since then (and it wasn't even theirs in the first place).

They want to remind everyone: "Look we had a hit...once...a long time ago!"

by Anonymousreply 54604/25/2013

Martine McCutcheon could share the role of Sally with Audra McDonald

by Anonymousreply 54704/25/2013

THat's LynnE Meadow!

by Anonymousreply 54804/25/2013

Andrea Riseborough can sing,apparently...

[quote] she took on a series of part-time jobs (including a stint making greetings cards and singing in a band to pay the rent).

by Anonymousreply 54904/25/2013

Cabaret was the biggest critical AND commercial hit Roundabout's ever had. They've been trying for years to revive it for a long time now, Mendes has always been the hold out.

by Anonymousreply 55004/25/2013

R550 Is right- If Roundabout had their druthers this would have been revived several years ago.

They are in a pretty pathetic state and would do theatergoers a favor if they just packed it in.

by Anonymousreply 55104/25/2013

Whatever happened to the all male revival of Forum?

by Anonymousreply 55204/25/2013

Midler - love her or hate her - is what she is: a PRO. She's going to deliver when it counts. Is it always some variation of her Divine Miss M? Well, most of the time. But she proved with "The Rose" she can dig deep and create a character. It's not her fault Hollywood didn't develop roles for her and give her the opportunity to keep developing as an actress. That's been the situation for many actors in recent years - no studios helping talent grow and develop in films.

by Anonymousreply 55304/25/2013

Karen Ziemba IS Sally Bowles.

by Anonymousreply 55404/25/2013

The all-male FORUM was a miscast, ill conceived piece of shit. That's what happened to it.

by Anonymousreply 55504/25/2013

Haven't seen Kinky Boots, but what about Annaleigh Ashford for Sally Bowles?

No, she's not a B.O. draw, but . . .

by Anonymousreply 55604/25/2013

Isn't Annaleigh Ashord more of a "turn" than an actress?

by Anonymousreply 55704/25/2013

R457, I've always thought Martine McCutcheon would make a great Sally Bowles. And she could have been the definitive Louise in Gypsy if they ever got around to reviving it in the West End.

For those wondering who MM is she played the "fat" love interest of Hugh Grant's Prime Minister character in Love, Actually.

by Anonymousreply 55804/25/2013

R547 is referring to McCutcheon's disastrous run in the revival of My Fair Lady opposite Jonathan Pryce. She was the Nell Carter of London, missed a ton of performances and on one of those nights she was snapped in a nightclub, in a pair of lacey pants. And Cameron Mackintosh basically had her blackballed. She's had terrible trouble finding work, especially in the theater. She did a lot of Activia commercials for a while but stopped doing those a year or so ago. She was, ironically, one of Liza's "bridesmaids" during that three-ring circus David. Gest organized in London. He apparently picked out MM out of OK magazine, contacted her and she said, uhhh, OK.

by Anonymousreply 55904/25/2013

Liza and David Gest's wedding was in New York, r559 - did they bring her over here to be a bridesmaid? Or did they have an additional ceremony in London?

by Anonymousreply 56004/25/2013

Has anyone seen Here Lies Love? I had no interest in seeing it, but, after reading the rave in the Times, it sounds incredible. I live in Nashville -- so there's no chance of my seeing it -- but I'd love to hear how it is.

by Anonymousreply 56104/25/2013

Listening to Patti's "Some People" on Sirius...was she drunk when they made this recording? The dialogue at the beginning in particular sounds...odd.

by Anonymousreply 56204/25/2013

I had to crack up at how quickly CAA squashed the rumor about her majesty, Dame Ann Hathaway. She probably cried herself to sleep last night worried that her legions of fans will not get the once in a lifetime opportunity to see her shine in this incredible role, but as we learned this year from Saint Anne, dreams do come true, but in their own time, in their own CAA way.

by Anonymousreply 56304/25/2013

CABARET was a BIG hit for them. They need to bring it back. It was Roundabout's only cash cow.

by Anonymousreply 56404/25/2013

Forget who'll open the show, who'll replace?

by Anonymousreply 56504/25/2013

Kat McPhee is Sally Bowles - the quaalude tour.

by Anonymousreply 56604/25/2013

Actually McPhee had her people submit her name R566.

by Anonymousreply 56704/25/2013

Jm J. Bullock on the line for Roundabout Casting...

by Anonymousreply 56804/25/2013

Patina Miller IS the Emcee.

by Anonymousreply 56904/25/2013

Pick me!

by Anonymousreply 57004/25/2013

Are there no biographies of Sue Mengers? The gossip alone would sell copies.

by Anonymousreply 57104/25/2013

There's a long Vanity Fair article, which is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 57204/25/2013

R560, she was brought over from London, I guess. Gest had an exclusive £££ deal with OK magazine for pix of the wedding and they needed UK celebrities to beef up the wedding party and McCutcheon was deemed suitable, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 57304/25/2013

Sutton Foster is set for Sally. You read it here first.

by Anonymousreply 57404/25/2013

R574 that's just disgusting! Almost as disgusting as another rumor I just heard. Matthew Morrison and Katharine McPhee together in another revival next season.

by Anonymousreply 57504/25/2013

Matthew Morrison is Mame?!

by Anonymousreply 57604/25/2013

I'd rather see Patty Fucking Lapone as Sally, rather than Sutton Foster.

by Anonymousreply 57704/25/2013

Damn it! I hope it's not Sutton...

shit!

by Anonymousreply 57804/25/2013

r559, "in a pair of lacy pants," heheheheheh.

by Anonymousreply 57904/25/2013

Matt and Kat in "They're Playing Our Song"

by Anonymousreply 58004/25/2013

[quote] had to crack up at how quickly CAA squashed the rumor about her majesty, Dame Ann Hathaway. She probably cried herself to sleep last night worried that her legions of fans will not get the once in a lifetime opportunity to see her shine in this incredible role, but as we learned this year from Saint Anne, dreams do come true, but in their own time, in their own CAA way

Please. I'm as A-list baby as you can get. You think I'm gonna play a role that every frumpy non singer from Brooke Shields to Liam Neeson's dead wife has played?....and at the Roundabout no less?

by Anonymousreply 58104/25/2013

Sadly, I do not think Roundabout is capable of being embarrassed by anything, r546. They have a reverse Midas touch that just destroys any property they get their hands on.

by Anonymousreply 58204/25/2013

I think it's pretty hilarious that the PIPPIN troll and others were screaming out for a revival of PIPPIN just a couple of years ago, thinking it would never really happen and now PIPPIN is opening tonight and is poised to be the biggest hit revival since CHICAGO.

by Anonymousreply 58304/25/2013

[quote]Jm J. Bullock on the line for Roundabout Casting

Isn't he booked for the next several years on Carnival Cruises as Edna Turnblad?

by Anonymousreply 58404/25/2013

Cool down, r583 - there is no way PIPPIN is going to be a bigger hit than the CABARET revival was. This production does not have six years in it. It will be very lucky if it even lasts as long as the ANNIE GET YOUR GUN revival.

by Anonymousreply 58504/25/2013

And the marvelous Brantley has dumped a pretty poor review for Pippin. He doesn't really like much about it except for Andrea Martin. That's a stunning way to finish the season and rain on everyone's parade.

by Anonymousreply 58604/25/2013

Pippin got a mild backhanded review in the Times. As it should.

by Anonymousreply 58704/25/2013

Anyone who can't have fun at Pippin is dead. The Dame says it lacks heart - the original was even colder, trust me on that one. Not everything has to feel like a warm puppy on your lap licking your face.

by Anonymousreply 58804/25/2013

I don't understand why anyone would have a Roundabout subscription anymore. Their membership numbers must be terrible. In the past five years I can't think of a single show that was decent enough AND difficult enough to get a ticket to that would warrant having a subscription. LCT and MTC have so much more quality stuff. I'd imagine given their track record very few estates or writers want anything to do with them AND the Sondheim is like the new Nederlander as far as desirability. The only thing positive I can say about Roundabout is they stopped calling and they found and under-utilize Stephen Karam.

by Anonymousreply 58904/25/2013

Saw Jekyll and Hyde last week. Loved it. Deb and Constantine and Teal were all great.

by Anonymousreply 59004/25/2013

agreed r589...I liked Harvey last year but that was almost entirely because of Jim Parsons...I hate going to the American Airlines theatre. I don't think I've ever enjoyed anything there. How do they stay in business....let alone buy more theatres?

by Anonymousreply 59104/25/2013

Can't a bitch get ONE thread named after her?

by Anonymousreply 59204/25/2013

I saw your dirty tit bags online Karen Ziemba!!! What were you thinking? Taking those tiny little things out in public!!! Disgusting!!

by Anonymousreply 59304/25/2013

Has someone ever time the fastest one of these theater threads has filled up to 600?

by Anonymousreply 59404/25/2013

Has to have been the one when Ricky Martin was opening in Evita.

by Anonymousreply 59504/25/2013

Let's discuss a revival of COCO!

by Anonymousreply 59604/26/2013

COCO!

by Anonymousreply 59704/26/2013

COCO!

by Anonymousreply 59804/26/2013

COCO?

by Anonymousreply 59904/26/2013

COCO.

by Anonymousreply 60004/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.