Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lesbian feminist on why Margaret Thatcher’s no feminist.

Why are women, smart women, women who call themselves feminists even expressing their admiration for Margaret Thatcher?

Oh, right, she was a strong woman who stuck to her guns.

But what’s to celebrate about that? Those were hugely destructive weapons.

The former British prime minister who died this week was the first female to hold that position. But she was always a thorn digging deeply into the side of those of us who believed that more women in leadership positions – whether in the boardroom or the backroom – could bring compassion, cooperation, even peace to business, politics and the world.

Thatcher proved us wrong. She trashed the unions, privatized public companies and refused to bend on a single thing; she spearheaded a war over the Falkland Islands and cut milk subsidies to public schools. The woman didn’t have a nurturing bone in her body when it came to public policy.

True, you don’t gain power within the UK’s rigidly class-based male establishment by being likeable and easygoing. But don’t believe for a second that the political system turned Thatcher into who she was. The grocer’s daughter came to Parliament with her right-wing ideas fully formed, and the old boys wouldn’t have given the new girl the time of day had she been a canny liberal with highly developed bridge-building skills.

Women don’t become the responsive leaders we dream of without connecting to the communities that support those values.

I’m tired of making excuses for reactionary female political leaders. I also see no reason to address the political gender imbalance by voting for women – until I hear what’s coming out of their mouths.

@susangcole

by Anonymousreply 404/11/2013

Loved Her

by Anonymousreply 104/11/2013

It depends on how you define feminism. Let's face it - how many female political or corporate leaders truly embody "compassion, cooperation, even peace to business, politics and the world"? Very few I suspect.

Thatcher would never have referred to herself as a feminist, as that moniker has generally been associated with the Left and would have impeded her rise to power. She became the Officious Butch Nanny From Hell, a persona male Tories could understand.

by Anonymousreply 204/11/2013

[quote]. I also see no reason to address the political gender imbalance by voting for women – until I hear what’s coming out of their mouths.

That says it all. Man, Thatcher was a monster.

by Anonymousreply 304/11/2013

Oddly enough, Russell Brand of all people offered the best analysis deconstructing the "Thatcher as feminist" myth:

[quote]Barack Obama, interestingly, said in his statement that she had "broken the glass ceiling for other women". Only in the sense that all the women beneath her were blinded by falling shards. She is an icon of individualism, not of feminism.

by Anonymousreply 404/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!