Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rick Santorum's warning to Republicans: Embracing gay marriage is 'suicidal'

The social conservative says gay rights is a trendy issue, not a lasting one.

Former Senator Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) on Monday cautioned his fellow Republicans against supporting marriage equality, saying that to do so would be "suicidal" for the party.

In an interview with the Des Moines Register, Santorum said he didn't think the party would undergo a radical shift on the issue, even though public opinion has been steadily changing for years, to the point that polls now show a solid majority of Americans support same-sex marriage. And he compared the recent conversion on gay marriage by two Republican senators — Illinois' Mark Kirk and Ohio's Rob Portman — to Republicans splitting with the party on abortion rights decades ago.

"I'm sure you could go back and read stories, oh, you know, 'The Republican Party's going to change. This is the future.' Obviously that didn’t happen," Santorum told the Register. "I think you’re going to see the same stories written now, and it’s not going to happen. The Republican Party's not going to change on this issue. In my opinion it would be suicidal if it did."

Santorum said that while he thought the party should have an open discussion about gay marriage, Republicans should not change their "foundational principles."

"Just because some of those things happen to be popular right now doesn't mean the Republican Party should follow suit," he said.

Santorum joins a chorus of conservatives who've bucked the party's big rebranding effort, which is aimed at adopting a softer tone on social issues and attracting a wider swath of voters in future elections.

Shortly after Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus announced the findings of the party's "autopsy" report — which recommended that Republicans convince gay voters that "we care about them, too" — former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee warned that evangelicals would splinter off to form their own party should the GOP shift on same-sex marriage. Similarly, Newt Gingrich cautioned that a party-wide embrace of same-sex marriage would lead some conservatives to "flake off."

In the wake of that pushback, Priebus reaffirmed that the party as a whole still opposed gay marriage, and said he believed some of the more controversial elements of the autopsy report would not be implemented anyway. He also made a point of lauding Huckabee as a "model" for the party on the issue.

In the interview, Santorum also said he doubted that the increasing support for gay marriage was "a well thought-out position by the American public."

The Supreme Court is expected to rule in June on two major marriage equality cases, but Santorum said he hoped the court would buck public opinion and uphold traditional marriage.

"I think you'll see, hopefully, a chastened Supreme Court is not going to make the same mistake in the cases as they did in Roe v. Wade," he said. "I’m hopeful the Supreme Court learned its lesson about trying to predict where the American public is going on issues and trying to find rights in the Constitution that sit with the fancy of the day."

by Anonymousreply 2204/13/2013

Listening to Santorum is political suicide.

by Anonymousreply 104/11/2013

Really?-then NO support for your retarded daughter Bella- FU

by Anonymousreply 204/11/2013

Notice the word "former" before his title. Move along ladies, nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 304/11/2013

Please! This is a family website. Do not mention 'Santorum' or other gross things!

by Anonymousreply 404/11/2013

Some dinosaur leader probably tried to convince all of his fellow dinos that evolving was suicidal too.

by Anonymousreply 504/11/2013

Please please please please please nominate Santorum.

by Anonymousreply 604/11/2013

[quote]former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee warned that evangelicals would splinter off to form their own party should the GOP shift on same-sex marriage.

Exactly. Go ahead, social and economic conservatives: split the party in two already. We've been waiting for it, as well as the subsequent 21st century of Democratic dominance, minus that pesky first decade which will be remembered as having been led by the worst president in American history.

by Anonymousreply 704/11/2013

Rick Santorum's warning to Republicans: Embracing gay marriage is 'suicidal'

And this is a bad thing because....?

by Anonymousreply 804/11/2013

Do it I double dare you GOP!!!

by Anonymousreply 904/11/2013

So says the closeted homo who is so obsessed with gay sex.

by Anonymousreply 1004/11/2013

Gentlemen, I think we can safely say that the lid is now nailed shut on Ricky's plitical coffin.

by Anonymousreply 1104/12/2013

Huge closet case.

by Anonymousreply 1204/12/2013

swf, R11?

by Anonymousreply 1304/12/2013

I wonder why Ricky had so many homosexuals on his staff...

by Anonymousreply 1404/12/2013

I'm kind of hoping they listen to him. Santorum and Ryan...between the two of them, they could kill the Republican party for good.

by Anonymousreply 1504/12/2013

He couldn't be more wrong. NOT embracing gay marriage is suicidal at this point.

by Anonymousreply 1604/12/2013

"Former Senator Rick Santorum (R-Pa)"

Ah, so that's how he's feeding that brood now that he's unemployed: Fundie $hill.

by Anonymousreply 1704/12/2013

Given the GOP is more of a twitching corpse anyway wouldn't it be closer to a mercy killing?

by Anonymousreply 1804/12/2013

[R15] Sometimes I feel the same way. Embrace the schadenfreude!!!

by Anonymousreply 1904/12/2013

What is suicidal for Republicans is pushing the anti-abortion issue -- which is going on in a few states. The Republicans do that, and if they become successful enough to shut down abortions, it may tell the anti-women (er, anti-abortion) advocates they succeeded; but, it will also mean that hoisting that mission-accomplished banner will tell the majority of women -- as is true with Americans -- who are pro-choice that they cannot generally trust any Republican. Regardless the individiual. They will reject the Republican Party and align with the Democrats.

Not since 1988 has a Republican president won the female vote nationally. 25 years ago is a long time ago for this party not to have won women. The Republicans don't have a problem just with Hispanics and African-Americans -- who left the Republicans couple generations ago -- they have a problem with [italic]women[/italic]; women … who outnumber men in every state in the union and District of Columbia.

Rick Santorum -- that pathetic closet case utterly obsessed with gay men and the fact that they have sex (while he does not) -- is sad and sick. And he is fucked-up beyond [italic]any[/italic] repair.

by Anonymousreply 2004/12/2013

I wish this Opus Dei loser would just go away.

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2013

We don't have to worry about the dying art of being a drama queen - Rick and the other anti-gay marriage repugs are drama queens to the max.

"Suicidal!"

We wish, Rick, but you'll just go on blabbing and sashaying and bringing out the kids when the rumors about you being a fag get more intense.

by Anonymousreply 2204/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.