Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Yelp a good resource for business referrals or is it primarily disgruntled consumers posting? I'm looking for a dentist and the one I was referred to by a friend has a bunch of negative yelp reviews.

I loathe going to the dentist so it's important to me to find a good one.

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2013

Yelp is a scam.

New dentist. He gets good reviews.

Yelp calls him up. "Want to buy pay per click advertising?"

He says no.

Yelp filters his good reviews, they just dissapear.

Bad reviews suddenly appear. Lots of them. (yelps swears they don't have staff who write them)

Yelp calls back dentist.

Do you want to pay to control the order your reviews appear and oh we noticed that our 'algorithm' put 500 good reviews in the filtered file, we are willing to run those through a separate program for our GOOD customers.

Yelp is a modern day Mafai asking for protection money.

Ignore Yelp.

by Anonymousreply 104/11/2013

For R1's reasons I don't put much faith in Yelp. Also, everyone's stupid. I mean, seriously, if its not some pretentious twat reviewing a restaurant like he works for Gourmet magazine, it's some idiot complaining about stuff that doesn't matter like the color of the walls.

Walked by a Thai place in SF recently that posted a notice in the window about being shaken-down by Yelp and how you shouldn't trust them.

by Anonymousreply 204/11/2013

I actually found my dentist on yelp. I don't have dental insurance, and needed 2k worth of work done (according to my old dentist). I looked up 'cheap dentist' on yelp, drove out to the hood, and got my work done for $800! I have found it to be reliable, but I am in Denver. Yelp isn't quite as big here, but I know that the ghetto dentist that I went to isn't paying them.

by Anonymousreply 304/11/2013

Reading Yelp reviews of restaraunts is depressing as it makes me realize how many self-impressed twats there are in the world.

by Anonymousreply 404/11/2013

The reviewers that only have one or two recent reviews I disregard. The ones that have a lot of reviews I give credence to.

I hav recently found a new internist, dentist and hair sytlist via Yelp reviews and these have all been terrific finds. No complaints.

by Anonymousreply 504/11/2013

I use YELP all the time, especially when travelling. It's not difficult to separate the hack reviewers from those who know what they're talking about, and the site is a big help when you are in an unfamiliar city or are doing something odd within your home city. I can't say that I've ever felt taken.

by Anonymousreply 604/11/2013

try 1-800-DENTIST, OP.

by Anonymousreply 704/11/2013

[quote]The ones that have a lot of reviews I give credence to.

...and those are the ones you should ignore.

They are most likely Yelp employees who either build or destroy businesses based on the shakedown or

They are 'professional yelpers' who get freebies for positive yelps.

However if someone has one or two reviews and it not on there all the time and they are either moved or angered enough to review they might have some cred.

In general Yelp should be ignored.

by Anonymousreply 804/11/2013

I hate to say it, I mean I really hate to say it, but Angies list is fairly reliable.

I hate the commercials, I hate the fee structure, but it is much more reliable than Yelp.

by Anonymousreply 904/11/2013

r8 learned all that by reading her mom's Reader's Digest, y'all.

by Anonymousreply 1004/11/2013

Angie's List is a conservative-run operation that has advertised on Rush Limbaugh's show.

by Anonymousreply 1104/11/2013

Angie's list has the opposite problem - since they send your personal information to companies/people you review, many members end up posting only their positive experiences.

by Anonymousreply 1204/11/2013

I too hate to admit that I rely on Angie's list.

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!