Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay men who say they hate Barbra Streisand

Are they lying or are they insane?

by Anonymousreply 11804/12/2013

g0ys have no taste.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

I don't hate her, but she's never done anything for me. And I love Liza.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

I really have no interest in her, but can't think of a reason anyone would hate her. I feel the same way about Justin Bieber.

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

I am 48. To me, Streisand was my mother's music. She is a great singer, but I never cared for that style of music. I grew up on mostly rock. Note: I am not a G0y. I am not butch and I don't like rock simply to make myself more palatable to straights. It is simply what I prefer. Zeppelin, The Stones and Queen always did the trick for me.

I respect those diva types, but their music is just not my thing.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

[quote]Note: I am not a G0y.

You're not? But I thought the Jews loved Barbra!

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2013

Baba who?

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2013

I don't hate Streisand or Minnelli or any of that ilk, I just prefer other things. Rock, Blues, Punk, Industrial, etc. I am 50 and never understood the unwritten rule that says because we prefer penis to vagina that we must also listen to lounge music.

I actually had my face ripped off by a little gentleman (a friend of a friend) a few years ago. I did not say I disliked or hated Streisand, but simply said that she wasn't my cup of tea. He went off on me and didn't let up. I got up and went to the bar. He was so angry with me that I thought he would harm me. LOL. Just because we all love dick doesn't mean we all have to like the same music, movies, books and art.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2013

[quote] Jews loved Barbra!

especially "a Christmas album"

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2013

Barbra is too Jewish for Jews!

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2013

R7 You have obviously not read your copy of "The Gay Agenda" cover to cover. The Republicans are terrified of our book, you must read it, if only to piss them off. You MUST love female lounge singers in glittery dresses. You must also listen to house music. You must.

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2013

They're neither lying nor insane, they're under 50.

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2013

I actually had a drag queen tell me that I was self-loathing because I didn't care for Barbra, Liza, Bette, Mariah, etc. Uh, no. Anyone who knows me knows that I love myself a little too much. I just don't care for showtunes and soft music.

I also don't care for Captain & Tennille, Air Supply, The Osmonds, Wilson Philips, Helen Reddy, Chicago, Bread, Justine Bieber or Tommy Tune. Just personal taste.

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2013

If you don't like BS you are either lying or insane? OP, that is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. She's not everyone's cup of tea. Gay or straight.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

Yeah, I've been gay for pretty much all of my 49 years and I have never owned anything by Streisand, Cher, Bette, Diana, Aretha, Liza or Judy. Talented singers all, but not my thing.

I love The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who, Elvis Presley, Queen, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, The Ramones, Rush, Metallica, Led Zep, Hendrix, Chuck Berry, U2, AC/DC, The Kinks, Devo, The B-52's, Judas Priest, Green Day, BB King, Black Sabbath, Bee Gees, Joan Jett, The Pretenders, Motorhead, ABBA, The Police, Iron Maiden, King Crimson, Heart, The Clash, The Stooges, Cheap Trick, etc.

Like another poster said, Barbra, Liza, Judy, etc. were my parents' music. I was exposed to it and respected the talent, but the music never affected me like other things did. It was my parents' soundtrack, not mine. Different opinions are what make the world go around.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

[quote]I also don't care for Helen Reddy.

That is just not right.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

No just not an old queen

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

I liked the movie, Funny Girl, when it came out. But other than that, I don't know anything about her. It's not the kind of music I listen to.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

I don't HATE here but am not fan of her hystronic overwrought vocal vomit.

by Anonymousreply 1804/11/2013

To me her music sounds like a baby seal getting butt fucked by a manatee, but I don't hate her - just strongly dislike her music.

by Anonymousreply 1904/11/2013

I'm 45 and have of course known Streisand's music my whole life; it's just not my thing*. This is the sort of music that makes me swoon: hot young bearded *men* with awesome talent.

*Her work in film is another story; I think she's one of the finest film actors of all time, though she doesn't always make the best choices of what projects to accept.

by Anonymousreply 2104/11/2013

[quote] They're neither lying nor insane, they're under 50.

Agreed, except that I'm over 50.

by Anonymousreply 2204/11/2013

[quote]Are they lying or are they insane?

No. They are young and as such are living in present, not the past.

by Anonymousreply 2304/11/2013

I'm 33. The only thing I've heard by her is The Way We Were, which does nothing for me. I certainly don't hate her, but I have zero love for her either. I do love that she seems to have inspired many of my gay brethren.

by Anonymousreply 2404/11/2013

I should also say that I don't have a natural inclination for divas. Whitney, Barbra, Liza? Meh. I'm not drawn to that element, though I recognize why others are.

by Anonymousreply 2504/11/2013

Another over 50 who hates her music, but I don't hate her. I don't care enough to hate her.

by Anonymousreply 2604/11/2013

Elder-thread alert!!!

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2013

OP is one of DL's Hate Trolls who doesn't have the mental capacity to tell the difference between "dislike" and "hate." To the Hate Trolls, if you say you prefer blue over green, it means you hate green.

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2013

[quote]doesn't have the mental capacity to tell the difference between "dislike" and "hate."

Or tell the difference between hate and indifference, which if one reads these posts, is what many are expressing.

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2013

Very silly post OP.

Different strokes for different folks. That said, many younger adults have no idea of the breadth of Streisand's recorded catalogue. But that is OK too.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2013

I am not a fan of her music or her annoying habit of slowing everything down and holding out every note until the word she is singing loses all meaning. But my my hatred for her is more for her attitude and personality in interviews. Maybe it is her own insecurity, but she comes across as so self important and humorless that I just can't get behind her in any way. She is just incredibly off-putting to me.

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2013

OP, not every gay guy is 60 and effeminate. Barbra who?

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2013

She was too old for Yentl.

by Anonymousreply 3304/11/2013

I am 58 and I have never been into the diva type singers. It has nothing to do with musically butching up to impress straights, either (like Barbra fans always accuse us of). I grew up in the rock era and my music tastes reflected the time I grew up in. As a young teen in the late '60s it was Cream, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Doors, Iron Butterfly, MC5 and Led Zeppelin.

In the '70s I listened to Zeppelin, Queen, Boston, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, etc. My mother and father loved Barbra Streisand. I heard her aplenty, but she was too mellow for my taste.

I respect her talent and I recognize that she was a hell of a singer, but it's all too soft and safe for me. Same goes for Frank Sinatra, great performer and singer, just not my thing.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2013

As far as the stereotypical "gay sensibility," I always loved her early stuff, the 60's stuff. The pageboy haircut and talon nails, all those albums when she was "Simply Barbra." All the way through The Way We Were. Maybe even through her mid 70's albums. Then she went off the rails. NOTHING she did after, and that even includes her Broadway album CRAP, compared. Overproduced, sappy, studio-sounding pablum. Elevator music. I hated that shit with Barry Gibb with a passion. "Guilty?" Yes, she was. Of selling out. Of going Hollywood. Of losing that "it" factor she had when she was young. Not sure exactly when she went from a thrilling singer to elevator music but she did.

by Anonymousreply 3504/11/2013

It's an eIdergay thing. There I said it! EIdergays!

by Anonymousreply 3604/11/2013

The Streisand/Minnelli/Midler/Garland thing seems to be more of a New York thing to me. I am 52 and I grew up in Texas. I, like many others here around my age, grew up on F.M. rock. All of my gay buddies were/are into rock and/or Top 40/Dance. A few were into country, but not many.

I lived in New York in the early 1980s (1980-1983) and it seemed that most of the gay men there were obsessed with female singers like Streisand and were into showtunes and Broadway musicals. Nothing wrong with that, but I guess it's just a matter of what you were exposed to in your youth.

I knew no teens in the '70s (gay or straight) that listened to Barbra. Maybe a couple of teen girls, but that's it. I could never have imagined sitting at the lake drinking beer with friends with Babs crooning on the 8-track player. LOL. Watch the movie "Dazed & Confused", that was the music we cranked. Peace all.

by Anonymousreply 3704/11/2013

Indifference here. I'm 46 and she just never clicked with me. I was into The Ramones, David Bowie, Devo, Blondie, The Clash, U2, Adam & The Ants, etc. Barbra was really not on my radar as a kid. I heard stuff like "You Don't Bring Me Flowers", "The Main Event" and all that "Guilty" stuff like "Woman in Love", "Guilty" and stuff, but I didn't really like it. Like other people have said, it was mom's music, not mine.

My mom loved Streisand and would turn the volume up when she came on the car radio. I ranked her with Air Supply, Neil Diamond and Chicago as "mommy music."

by Anonymousreply 3804/11/2013

I'm 48-I like Streisand before 1970. I think she has a great voice. What turns me off about her, aside from her poor skills as an actress, is her gigantic ego. It is bigger than her nose and twice as ugly. Some people are humbled by their talents and some people think that talent serves as some higher calling. Streisand always hit me as an insecure girl- even at 70.

Meanwhile I listen all types of music. Great music is great music whether it is Bach, Paul Simon, Judy Garland, Miles Davis, Patsy Cline, or Led Zeppelin. I don't understand people who love music but only listen to one genre. Open your mind. Music of depth is too rewarding to ignore simply because you can't rock to it.

by Anonymousreply 3904/11/2013

I'm 38 and grew up with MTV. They never played her so I was only vaguely aware of her. I guess I am ambivalent toward her. I don't love her, I don't hate her. My brothers always joked that I missed part of my gay gene because I never listened to showtunes or Streisand, never liked musical movies and I hated disco and house music (except to dance to at a club). My musical taste has expanded in my adulthood, but not enough to include Babs, Mariah Carey or Michael Bolton.

by Anonymousreply 4004/11/2013

I am 52, and neither hate, nor adore, her. She's just sort of ... there.

by Anonymousreply 4104/11/2013

Caring about her enough to hate her might constitute insanity.

by Anonymousreply 4204/11/2013

I am of the mind that people who don't like her ARE self-loathing gays. You are more concerned with what your straight beer-swilling buddies think about you than to admit what you really like. I cannot, for the life of me, fathom how a gay man cannot love singers such as Lady Babs. They convey every emotion we feel and it's universal among us. Stop the self-loathing and go with what comes naturally.

by Anonymousreply 4304/11/2013

Some people think indifference is the same thing as hate.

by Anonymousreply 4404/11/2013

R43. Your average cum gurgling, road whore transvestite can sing better than Barbra. Sorry to break it to you. No I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 4504/11/2013

Get out of your gay ghetto, R43. Like somebody else on here said, "Just because we all like the cock doesn't mean we all have to like the same things."

I go for average-sized cocks, but several of my friends are size-queens. I like tall blond white guys, one of my friends loves black men and latinos. I prefer jeans and t-shirts, my best friend prefers shorts and hawaiian print shirts. We're all individuals with our own taste (or lack thereof). It's what makes the world spin 'round.

by Anonymousreply 4604/11/2013

I've never really cared for her, although I have a soft spot for the Babs Xmas records my mom played when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 4704/11/2013

[quote]I cannot, for the life of me, fathom how a gay man cannot love singers such as Lady Babs. They convey every emotion we feel and it's universal among us.

That's a parody post, right? Please tell me it's a parody post.

by Anonymousreply 4804/11/2013

For me, musical acts like Barbra Streisand, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, etc. were like fingernails on a chalkboard. They would take the simplest song and go all "look at how many notes I can hit" all through it. Overkill. I never got in to what I call lounge-warbling. I am 30, so maybe it's because her era was well before my time.

by Anonymousreply 4904/11/2013

R37 Proud New Yorker here and thankfully you no longer live here. We're glad you're gone by to your fly-over state. I thank my maker that I grew up with culture and appreciation for the arts. You stay in your desert hell where your idea of high culture was a barbeque with a stack of Fog Hat, Ted Nugent, Foreigner and Kiss records playing while watching BJ & The Bear on TV.

Thank goodness I have never stepped foot out of my beloved NYC. I think I would melt in flyover hell.

by Anonymousreply 5004/11/2013

Barbra is not of my generation, but I did love her.

Back in college, I bought all of her CDs and was considered very retro (and probably gay) by the other guys in my dorm.

But now, I can't listen to her. Yes, she had amazing talent, but her singing is so overwrought and hammy (though not as bad as Judy Garland, who I could never stand), it's too preciously theatrical for my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 5104/11/2013

R50 I hate to break it to you, Bubba, but Kiss was a New York act. That's where they hailed from. I liked them back in the day, but they are your homegrown native boys. So don't think they're just "fly-over heroes." So, there!

I'll make you a deal. You stay out of Missouri and I promise to never step foot in NYC. Deal?

by Anonymousreply 5204/11/2013

[quote]Thank goodness I have never stepped foot out of my beloved NYC.

You are in no position to cast shade on anyone for supposedly being unsophisticated.

As someone who has spent much time travelling around the world, anyone who never leaves his hometown (regardless of where it is) is the very definition of a unsophisticated rube.

by Anonymousreply 5304/11/2013

R52 Shows how little you know. Kiss hailed from Detroit. They're not New York's problem.

by Anonymousreply 5404/11/2013

R50/R54 Uh, no. We came from New York. Google it. We wrote a song about Detroit ("Detroit Rock City") but we are from the Big Apple. Deal with it, sweet cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 5504/11/2013

The only song BS did I really like is one live recording of 'Happy days are here again'. Everything else I've heard, and I did not go out of my way to hear her shit, is just not entertaining at all. She sings very well, it just sounds dull.

I'm 22, still my favorite artists are many of her contemporaries. I listen, almost exclusively, to Gospel, R&B, Soul, Jazz, Blues (coincidentally, all black people). From my mom and twin brother, I have developed some appreciation for Rock and stuff between the 40s and late 90s. BS, JD and LM are not among them.

by Anonymousreply 5604/11/2013

R50 is the saddest, most pathetic post I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 5704/11/2013

Somebody burn R50. SHE'S A WITCH! BURN HER!!! Quite frankly, R50, I would rather kick back at a BBQ with some good friends over a Foghat or Kiss album (it actually is a lot of fun if you let yourself loosen up a little) than to be stuck in an elevator with you for five minutes. You must be insufferable in person. PLEASE, PLEASE stay in your hometown. Keep your misery in lockdown there.

by Anonymousreply 5804/11/2013

Maybe r50 is also a parody post. Because frankly this seems like a (not terribly funny) parody thread.

by Anonymousreply 5904/11/2013

R59: It's so hard to tell.

Because I do picture DL being populated by old queens with personal shrines in the corner of their living rooms, where candles are lit to honor Judy, Barbra or any other over-the-top, histrionic female singer.

by Anonymousreply 6004/11/2013

Yes, it does seem that way, r60. And for the longest time I'd thought this place was a generation or so younger than that. For god's sake, I'm firmly middle-aged, and Streisand et al were already considered old queen music when I came out in the mid-80s.

What always kills me is the sense of outrage--OUTRAGE--that someone might not bow down at their altars. Talk about investing too much of yourself in someone that doesn't know you're alive.

by Anonymousreply 6104/11/2013

Many's the time I've walked out of a store when they play her music. And no, I do not hate anyone. I may hate something about them, however. That something re: BS, is her overdoing the music. That's also true of many black female singers. And it even goes to the kids. I stopped watching shows like American Idol, because of the yelling. And I've tried gospel, and love almost all of it. But, take "His Eye is on the Sparrow". Check YouTube. They're pretty awful. They don't know that a whisper is sometimes louder than a scream. They should listen to Carmer McRae's version.

by Anonymousreply 6204/11/2013

I'm 43 and I confess... I hate her***.

I don't get it. I don't hear it. I don't understand all the fuss, the hype, the gushing.

*** Additionally, every time I see her interviewed, she comes across like an entitled smug bitch.

What the fuck is so likeable about her?

(poor James Brolin)

by Anonymousreply 6304/11/2013

Judy Garland had more class in her little finger,than Barbra Steisand has in her whole body. What annoys me more than anything about this horrible troll is, She's the singer who won't sing. J.G.&B.S.(HA!) were both given special vocal instruments. Judy shared hers her whole life. At the drop of a hat Judy sang! At parties,on film,in gay piano bars, on talk shows,she SHARED her great talent. B.S. has ALWAYS selfishly withheld her gift. Like a greedy miser she must be cajoled, begged to sing. I started to notice this almost thirty years ago. She'd deign to appear in public,on TV,or at an awards show,but under no circumstances would MISS STREISAND agree to sing. WTF! It's all show with The Queen Of The Harpys, she has never appeared to like singing,never mind finding joy in it! All one ever has to do is watch alternating performances of both singers to see my point. Streisand basks in the adoration she feels is her due. Judy puts every bit of herself into every song GIVING to the audience. A long time ago a wise friend told me,"some people are givers and some will always be takers." Barbra Streisand has always been,and will always be a TAKER.

by Anonymousreply 6404/11/2013

R64: Garland sang because she HAD to. To pay her bills.

No performer, no matter how talented, is your pet monkey, who MUST perform whenever you demand it.

Demanding and needy fans like you must drive entertainers crazy.

by Anonymousreply 6504/11/2013

I've tried to post on a couple of threads, here. Nothing happened except it wasn't accepted. Anyway, I don't hate Barbra Streisand. I don't hate anyone. I may hate something about them but not the person. I do hate the influence she's had on music; i.e. all the yelling, overwrought crud!

by Anonymousreply 6604/11/2013

The Streisand fanatics are a very vocal minority. I don't hate Streisand but I know very few gay men in my age range (45-50) who listen to her. I'm not knocking her, just stating a fact. Most of the gay guys my age like classic rock, country, jazz and/or classical (or a combination of the genres).

Wailing songbirds just don't cut it with most guys my age. There are the American Idol/Streisand guys around, but they are not the majority. I hate that stereotype that we're all into diva-singers. I am faaarrrrrr from masculine but that cocktail music just doesn't butter my bread at all.

by Anonymousreply 6704/11/2013

I think she's okay. She's very talented and I have a handful of her songs on my iPod, but I prefer things like Nine Inch Nails, The Beatles, The Stones, Elvis Presley, Nirvana, Metallica, The Killers, Rush, Green Day, Alanis Morrissette, Joan Jett, and Depeche Mode. I'm 34 and never had much exposure to her in my youth (my parents were into classic rock and country).

I don't know any gay men my age that listen to things like Liza or Babs or Bette. I tend to think of men over 65 when I hear them. I know they do have younger fans among gay men, but they are not the majority.

by Anonymousreply 6804/11/2013

They only two guys I knew who were my age (28) who liked Barbra Streisand were drag queens. I think she's big among those guys. They loved Babs, Liza, Bette, Cher, Aretha, Rupaul and all that jazz.

by Anonymousreply 6904/11/2013

[quote]I cannot, for the life of me, fathom how a gay man cannot love singers such as Lady Babs. They convey every emotion we feel and it's universal among us.

You don't really understand what the term 'universal" means, do you?

Here's a hint: it doesn't mean "How you yourself feel, except projected onto everyone else so that even if they tell you they don't really feel that way you believe they must be lying."

by Anonymousreply 7004/11/2013

[quote] I'm 38 and grew up with MTV. They never played her

Oh yes they did! Her video for "Emotion" was an MTV exclusive!

by Anonymousreply 7104/11/2013

Barbra is not the voice of a generation--she is the voice of a CENTURY.

Streisand is like no other, she is almost of mythological proportions.

Unlike so many others whose voices can fly to great heights, Barbra's remains warm and intimate throughout.

What the youngin's do not appreciate is that she is not the product of grooming, or narketing, or endless coaching---she is the poor, unloved girl from Brooklyn who made it through astonishing talent and charm.

Oh, and did I say CHARM?

There's a word one cannot assign to too many "talents" these days!

Ha!

And to add, the eccentricities add to her charisma and legend.

Nuff' said.

by Anonymousreply 7204/11/2013

Also: they showed her video for "Tell Him," the duet she did with Celine Dion.

It has my all-time favorite line for a Babs song: "Love will be the gift you give yourself!"

by Anonymousreply 7304/11/2013

Yeah, R62, I prefer old gospel, not the American Idol or undertalented mainstream outputs of recent years (since the late 90s, including but not limited to that hi-yella devil and the fat one from Dreamgirls). I will say though that tasteful screaming is what draws me into music, BS does not do that. She just draws out notes for a good while, very monotonous, stale, and ultimately tiring. She's not as boring as Diana Ross, though, that's something I guess.

by Anonymousreply 7404/11/2013

Every time I see her, I think about the Halloween episode of South Park (years ago) where they said the show was going to be broadcast in "Spooky Vision." There was a head shot of Babs in the four corners of the screen.

by Anonymousreply 7504/11/2013

OK, I can now see the 'gay is not the word' troll's point.

by Anonymousreply 7604/11/2013

[quote]Barbra is not the voice of a generation--she is the voice of a CENTURY.

Mary!

[quote]Oh, and did I say CHARM?

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 7704/11/2013

No, you can't, R76. There was no point.

by Anonymousreply 7804/11/2013

GREATEST SINGERS OF ALL-TIME:

1. BARBRA STREISAND

2. JUDY GARLAND

3. BARRY MANILOW

4. MARIAH CAREY

5. WHITNEY HOUSTON

6. CHER

7. LIZA MINNELLI

8. MADONNA

9. GEORGE MICHAEL

10. ROBERT GOULET

11. TOM JONES

12. CYNDI LAUPER

13. BELINDA CARLISLE

14. CELINE DION

15. ARETHA FRANKLIN

by Anonymousreply 7904/11/2013

R79 Good Lord, man! Where did you get that list? From the AARP website? Jeez, Louise. There's no one under 100 years old on that list.

Your list sucks for several reasons:

1. No Freddie Mercury!

2. No Freddie Mercury!!

3. No Freddie Mercury!!!

Freddie was the greatest male singer of all-time (arguably next to Elvis Presley). You would put George Michael and Manilow above him? Jeez!!!

by Anonymousreply 8004/11/2013

R79, you forgot Freddie Mercury, Ann Wilson, Steve Perry, Björk, Robert Plant, Debbie Harry, Bono, David Bowie, and Pat Benatar

by Anonymousreply 8104/11/2013

R81 Ditto!!!

by Anonymousreply 8204/11/2013

That's the problem with these pathetic old queens. You HAVE to like what and whom they like. I don't like Barbra Streisand, Andy Cohen, Kathy Griffin, or Obama. I'm not lying, or insane. I just choose to think for myself.

by Anonymousreply 8304/11/2013

R80, Freddie was great, but Elvis?! And Luther Vandross, Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder say "Hi, gurl!" Freddie was great, but not the greatest.

by Anonymousreply 8404/11/2013

Grew up in a small town, started to listen to Barbra, then LuPone and some years later Buckley. Always loved Abba-Agnetha. Loved them. Loved big ballads. Never into Judy nor Liza. For years I thought I was the only one, but delighted to find out for once I wasn't. Today I listen to everything from opera to r'n'b which sounds good to me. Don't hate any artist, if I don't like someone's music, I don't listen to it.

by Anonymousreply 8504/11/2013

R83. I love you

by Anonymousreply 8604/11/2013

Disco sucked...

Barbra swallowed!

by Anonymousreply 8704/11/2013

I don't hate her, and she has a good voice, but she is a little before my time.

by Anonymousreply 8804/11/2013

R79 - Liza Minelli???

by Anonymousreply 8904/11/2013

R50 is charlie.

by Anonymousreply 9004/11/2013

unrelated, but funny story.

I remember seeing super-hot Josh Holloway (who played gritty tough guy Sawyer on Lost), on The View(?)--- Well, he busts out that he's a HUGE barbara Striesand fan and confesses that He's seen her in concert fifty times and suddenly, right before my eyes, he turns into the biggest gay queen ever!!!! IT WAS SO BIZZARE! He couldn't contain himself!

I'm sitting frozen, trippin out on what I'm seeing-- thinking, "is he kidding? is he being facetious?"

Turns out, no. Guess straight guys love her too.

by Anonymousreply 9104/11/2013

I don't hate Barbra, I'm indifferent. I have three of her albums, [italic]he Way We Were[/italic] and [italic]Funny Girl[/italic], both of which my then-boyfriend introduced me to in the '70s, and [italic]The Broadway Album[/italic], because it was one of the first CDs available in the 1980s. I turned out to like it, particularly "Something Wonderful/I Have Dreamed" and "Somewhere," both of which became AIDS anthems.

by Anonymousreply 9204/11/2013

[quote]Turns out, no. Guess straight guys love her too.

I took my mom to see her in Chicago, and most of the people there were middle aged straight couples.

by Anonymousreply 9304/11/2013

[quote]GREATEST SINGERS OF ALL-TIME:

All of r79's choices are from the late 20th century.

So much for the previous several hundreds of thousands of years of human history.

by Anonymousreply 9404/11/2013

Funny, GG/R14 I was just saying in another thread that Rock doesn't really do it for me, apart from early Rock, but I actually like a lot of the people/bands you listed ( except Elvis). Maybe it's just that I like Rock from a certain period rather than today's Rock music. I seem to like the period between the 50s to late 70s/early 80s with regard to Rock music, but especially 50s and 60s.

by Anonymousreply 9504/11/2013

Isn't that a little like a straight man hating Howard Stern?

by Anonymousreply 9604/11/2013

I'm fifty one and she also seemed like old people's music to me. Though I had a friend a few years younger than me who was obsessed by her and we grew up only a couple of blocks apart in L.A.

The only Streisand work I ever enjoyed was the movie "What's Up, Doc?" So much so, that I saw the other 70's comedy movie where she plays some poor housewife who somehow gets sucked into a prostitution scam. Or something. Totally forgettable movie. And I completely avoided all those Oscar bait movies she made.

And I really hated "Evergreen." It was so completely overplayed and I didn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 9704/11/2013

R97 "What's Up Doc?" is a funny movie, but I think that's mostly because of Buck Henry and Madeline Kahn.

by Anonymousreply 9804/11/2013

The best song in recorded history was "Enough is Enough (No More Tears)" by Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer from 1979. The greatest song EVAH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9904/11/2013

[quote]The best song in recorded history was "Enough is Enough (No More Tears)" by Barbra Streisand and Donna Summer from 1979. The greatest song EVAH!!!!

Cole Porter is rolling in his grave, as he swallows imaginary cum.

by Anonymousreply 10004/11/2013

Her original recording of Stoney End, and I Have Dreamed are the only two songs of hers I like, and I have heard them all.

I have studied and analyzed her voice, because that is part of my job as a musician, teacher and vocal accompanist and can tell all what was unique and wonderful about it. Her voice was technically exceptional. BUT, she doesn't even like to sing and gives nothing when she does, has stated that she does not listen to music and can go for months without humming in the shower, so even with that gorgeous vocal instrument she imparts nothing but sound, too often with lyrics that she ruins. Ha. Funny Girl. Now when her voice is but a memory, now she wants to sing?

Twice I have given down payment on a car priced tickets to see her live away to more interested friends.

by Anonymousreply 10104/11/2013

48 y/o gay man here and I couldn't give an airborne intercourse about Barbra Streisand, Bette Midler,Cher etc. I like rock, blues, outlaw country, old school soul, jazz and some classical but I just can't get into "divas" or show tunes. Does that make me any less gay?

Oh--I HATE Celine Dionne, too!

by Anonymousreply 10204/11/2013

She has an amazing voice and incredible vocal control. She can hold a note longer than anyone and phrase a song in such a way that even Frank Sinatra wrote her a fan letter. BUT, she is such a bitch I have a hard tome listening to her anymore. Regardless of her protesting that these "stories about me are untrue" there's too much evidence to the contrary.

by Anonymousreply 10304/12/2013

You just have to see her the way she sings her Funny Girl songs....that is all. Shee weaves her way into your SOUL! I know, I know.... Mary!

by Anonymousreply 10404/12/2013

I have zero interest in the woman - never understood the appeal. And yeah, I'm gay.

Actually, I just went on a date with a guy who turned out to be a diva-holic, and was astounded I had no interest in her, or Cher, or Britney, or Madonna. He was a cute guy but his attitude was essentially that I failed being a genuine acceptable gay.

Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 10504/12/2013

What's all of this she's not of my generation shit? They were saying that in 1970 when I was in college. Don't you people understand that music is not just the latest hit? I

by Anonymousreply 10604/12/2013

A lot of gay guys get upset with me when I tell them I can't relate to the music of Streisand, etc. I grew up in the '70s and '80s and I never got into the songs of Barbra, Cher, Diana Ross, Donna Summer, etc. (the Judy and Liza thing really perplexed me, because my grandmother listened to them). So many of the queens I went to school with were obsessed with Babs, Cher and Bette.

I remember one little queen used to play Barbra's "Guilty" cassette over and over and over on the high school band bus. He would stand up in the aisle and put a t-shirt on his head like a turban and lipsynch to "Woman in Love." It was pretty sad. Needless to say, I put on my walkman headphones and tuned out to Queen, AC/DC, Rush, Judas Priest, Devo, The B-52's, The Police, Styx and The Ramones.

To each their own. I'm not the most masculine guy on earth, but I am NOT A WOMAN. I am not "male on the outside, female on the inside" like many gays claim to be. I'm just a guy with a dick who likes other dicks. Like I said, I couldn't pretend to be straight, even if I wanted to. It would be ridiculous of me to try. Regardless of my level of masculinity, I am a gay MAN.

by Anonymousreply 10704/12/2013

I've never heard a gay person say "male on the outside, female on the inside", let alone many.

by Anonymousreply 10804/12/2013

R107 was the queen on the bus lipsynching to Babs. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 10904/12/2013

[quote] Don't you people understand that music is not just the latest hit? I

No one has said otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 11004/12/2013

I'm in my late forties. I don't HATE anyone, but I never got into Streisand's music. I heard quite a bit of her music on TV and on the radio, but she never clicked with me at all. I never understood all of the gay adoration for Ms. Streisand, Cher, Bette Midler and the rest. I guess it was easier for me to relate to acts like Led Zeppelin and The Beatles. Different strokes for different folks.

by Anonymousreply 11104/12/2013

Barbra is my God. She's my "main event" as it were. I worship her and will until I draw my last breath on this earth. It's a right I defend over and over again. For those who say they dislike her, I say "Enough Is Enough." Don't be guilty of hating this wonderful songbird. May she remain evergreen for eternity.

by Anonymousreply 11204/12/2013

GREATEST FIVE MUSICAL ACTS IN HISTORY

1. BARBRA JOAN STREISAND

2. CHRISTOPHER CROSS

3. BILLY JOEL

4. SIMON & GARFUNKEL

5. CHER

NO ONE ELSE EVEN COMES CLOSE.

by Anonymousreply 11304/12/2013

P-U-K-E!

by Anonymousreply 11404/12/2013

People, people who hate Barbra

Are the stupidest people.

by Anonymousreply 11504/12/2013

R113 No, just no.

1. BARBRA JOAN STREISAND (stale lounge act)

2. CHRISTOPHER CROSS (horrible thin voice)

3. BILLY JOEL (asshole, drunk & limited talent)

4. SIMON & GARFUNKEL (okay, but not one of the best acts of all time)

5. CHER (I like her as a person but her music is beyond lame. No vocal range at all)

by Anonymousreply 11604/12/2013

R113 Okay, throw in Aqua, Spice Girls, The Archies, Air Supply, Edison Lighthouse, Paper Lace and The Sylvers and you'll have a perfect list.

(Rolls Eyes)

That list is sooooooo horrible that words cannot express my level of disgust. You must be a troll.

by Anonymousreply 11704/12/2013

OP, apparently you are not like most bisexual and gay dudes, especially today. You seem to be stuck in some 1960s subculture that does not exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11804/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.