Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

58% Of Americans Would Vote For Reagan Over Obama

Country also still fully supports the NRA.

Nothing has changed.

by Anonymousreply 4612/30/2013

Bullshit. I don't believe either thing.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

That's like saying 58% would vote for Jed Bartlett. At this point, to most Americans, Reagan is fictional.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

Well, that's what the studies just done show.

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

Not me, kids!

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

Here's the Reagan vs. Obama poll.

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2013

R2 has it correct. This sort of false dichotomous choice not only is misleading in its results, inevitably - it is plain irresponsible for a "reputable" pollster to implement.

A survey cannot offer an apples-and-oranges choice without producing results that can be accurately interpreted. To say the results show that people prefer Reagan as president over Obama, and by implication prefer his policies over Obama's, is too pat by far. A dead man of the past is immune both to memory and relevance. People know at least a little about what has happened in the country with Obama over the experience of Reagan's time 25 years ago. It's like saying, "Do you prefer a mythical golden age over the present?" Guess what the results would be.

Even to ask for a choice between Reagan and Bill Clinton would be prone to misinterpretation.

Shame on MSNBC for publicizing this. And shame on the idiot OP for dropping it like a turd without a link, and tossing in the NRA piece. Horseshit, indeed. Is this one of the shills whose job it is to manufacture threads?

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2013

Bill Clinton would beat them both in a landslide.

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2013

Wow. This country is chock-full of idiots.

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2013

So is this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1204/11/2013

he was worse than Maggie Thatcher

by Anonymousreply 1404/11/2013

R8 is a moron.

by Anonymousreply 1504/11/2013

R7, Reagan wasn't mixed-race.

by Anonymousreply 1604/11/2013

Reagan let tens of thousands of gay men die of AIDS before he even deigned to acknowledge the disease existed in public.

The man is guilty of many, many crimes during his tenure including authorizing nefarious black-ops missions in Latin America, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. He also began dismantling our economic system when he deregulated the banks and let corporations run roughshod over the middle class.

But despite all of these crimes, I spit on his grave for ignoring AIDS and defunding any tangible research that could have gone towards bringing about medication to treat it a hell of a lot sooner.

by Anonymousreply 1704/11/2013

Really? Get my dancing shoes, Martha. They like me, they really like me.

by Anonymousreply 1804/11/2013

Obviously the public has a short memory....

by Anonymousreply 1904/11/2013

Obviously all deluded Republicans will always worship him, but what puts his poll numbers over the top are the "Reagan Democrats" who haven't died yet. Reagan's numbers will continue to slide as they do.

by Anonymousreply 2004/11/2013

[italic]Best Response[/italic]

Brandon Harlow · Top Commenter · Virginia State University

[quote][bold]Reagan was a conservative?[/bold] He raised taxes 11 times in the 8 years he was in office. He grew the Federal gov't and gave amnesty to 3 million illegals.

Reply ·

· 9 hours ago

by Anonymousreply 2104/11/2013

I'm not crazy about him either r22, but Reagan sucked too. It should at least be a tie. Between the two, Obama does represent liberalism much more, even if he isn't a real liberal. So siding with Obama is also siding with the values he represents, however fraudulently, and that's better than siding with the conservatism Reagan represents.

by Anonymousreply 2304/11/2013

And 53% think Reagan is alive and will run in the next national election.

by Anonymousreply 2404/11/2013

[quote] Bill Clinton would beat them both in a landslide

Very true.

by Anonymousreply 2604/11/2013

[quote]Reagan's pro-business position created jobs.

When Ronald Reagan came into office 1981, unemployment was at 7.5%. After Reagan cut taxes for the wealthy, he began raising taxes on the middle and lower class. Corporations started to ship more jobs out of the United States while hiring cheap foreign labor in order to make a bigger profit. While corporations made billions, Americans across the country lost their jobs. As 1982 came to a close, unemployment was nearly 11%. Unemployment began to drop as the years went on, but the jobs that were created were low paying and barely helped people make ends meet. The middle and lower class had their wages nearly frozen as the top earners saw dramatic increases in salary.

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2013

Reagan was an ass and jacked-up the country forever.

Obama is doing an excellent job considering half of his co-workers are literally insane.

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2013

They don't "support the NRA." The NRA is a lobbying arm of the firearms industry whose sole purpose is finding ways to sell more guns and ammo, and the legislation they're pushing is much more radical than the average person thinks is prudent. They want no background checks, no licensing or registries, no regulation on sales. If they had their way we'd have Glock vending machines alongside Coke and Red Box.

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2013

Baby Boomers are responsible for so much destruction.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2013

[quote]If they had their way we'd have Glock vending machines alongside Coke and Red Box.

in schools

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2013

[quote]Reagan's pro-business position created jobs. After five years Obama has us sitting in the middle of a stagnant economy.

Wrong on both counts but then reality has never been the strong suit of conservatives.

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2013

In today's political environment with the tea baggers, Reagan would be unable to get the nomination. He might be able to get the Democratic nomination.

by Anonymousreply 3304/11/2013

And yes, that poll was stupid, just as would be a poll that asks about Clinton.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2013

Because people are ignorant, extremely ignorant. No one told America how Reagan was the enemy of the middle class...why not?

by Anonymousreply 3604/11/2013

Obama is not responsible for the recession, which started before he formally declared his presidential run and really kicked in with the bank collapse during the 2008 Republican convention. You can argue about whether or not he's done the right things to get us out of the recession, but the US economy is still doing better than those European countries like Greece and the UK where more stringent austerity measures have been imposed (the kind the Tea Partiers and GOP leadership keep pushing.)

Reagan was a movie star. He had a warm fuzzy public image and people liked him even if they didn't agree with his policies. George W. Bush had the same effect on people, at least until the aforementioned recession kicked in and he started shipping skidloads of public money to the banks never to be seen again, the same way he did in Iraq.

by Anonymousreply 3704/11/2013

[quote]In today's political environment with the tea baggers, Reagan would be unable to get the nomination.

He would also be unable to get much of his legislation through today's Republican House or out of the Republican filibuster sham in in today's Democratic Senate.

-raising income taxes (11 times)

-raising Social Security taxes

-raising gas taxes

-raising corporate income taxes

-granting amnesty to undocumented immigrants

-raising the debt ceiling (18 times!)

-implementing gun control (Brady Act)

-signing the UN Treaty outlawing torture

-starting the Veterans' Affairs Department

by Anonymousreply 3804/11/2013

And you knew who you were then!

Goils were goils and men were men!

by Anonymousreply 4004/11/2013

37 - Dubya did let Lehmans go under!

by Anonymousreply 4104/11/2013

[quote]This is not a fair poll, Reagan was by far the greater president in historical terms

by Anonymousreply 4204/11/2013

42 - In terms of impact, ie pushing the economy towards more free market principles and setting in motion the beginning of the end of the Cold War. FDR too had a similar impact in terms of the New Deal and WW2. This is NOT about whether they were right or wrong, just about their impact on the US and the world!

by Anonymousreply 4304/11/2013

Why do they even do polls like this? What's the agenda here?

by Anonymousreply 4404/11/2013

I never get polled but if I did I would give fucked up answers just for fun. Like if they asked me if I thought Obama was a Muslim devil, I'd say yeah just to fuck with them.

by Anonymousreply 4504/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!