Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sudden loss of tolerance for alcohol.

I'm 46 and have been drinking moderately since the age of about twenty.

However within the past year or so, I've noticed that my tolerance for alcohol has decreased significantly. Sometimes just one drink an I'm very inebriated.

I always assumed my tolerance for drink would increase over the years, not decrease.

Has anyone else had this happen? Is it a symptom of something else?

by Drunkreply 2906/10/2015

See a doctor. There are a lot of things it could be. (Anemia, diabetes, hepatitis, dehydration, weight loss, cirrhosis, change in medications, etc. etc. )

No one is going to be able to tell you anything useful with just that one symptom. At best they will be able to tell you what it happened to be in their own or a friend's case.

by Drunkreply 104/10/2013

It's probably a tumor.

by Drunkreply 304/10/2013

I lost my tolerance too, but on purpose. I take Wellbutrin and Lamictal for mood issues, my MD said don't drink alcohol. She didn't say it would kill me, but I guess it's just a best practice when dealing with a patient on medication. Anyway, I used to drink about 5-8 drinks a week, now I drink none or, if I go out for dinner with friends, one drink. I get very buzzed and feel like crap the next day and can't sleep. The medication probably potentiates any alcohol I drink anyway, it's not a good mix for me. I don't miss drinking, I used to drink too much because I was socially awkward.

by Drunkreply 904/10/2013

I drank a few times a week in my late 30s, maybe 3 beers or so. I just turned 50 and I have a drink 3 maybe times a year. My recovery rate is lousy. Even after one beer, I don't feel quite right for 2-3 days afterward. A very low grade hangover - I'm not in shape for drinking anymore. Don't miss it much.

by Drunkreply 1004/10/2013

CANCER!!!!!

by Drunkreply 1104/10/2013

R2, did you ever experience intense cravings for alcohol while on a low carb diet? I don't really drink but when I go on a low carb diet I massively crave beer

by Drunkreply 1204/10/2013

I've heard alcoholics say that at some point in their drinking careers, their tolerance "broke" and they couldn't drink more than one after being able in the past to put away a case. But you don't drink that much so I don't know.

I'm a drug and alcohol counselor.

by Drunkreply 1304/10/2013

OP, are you drinking on an empty stomach or a somewhat empty stomach?

That will make you drunk quickly.

Drink only after you have eaten a full meal.

by Drunkreply 1404/10/2013

I was just thinking that I can't drink anymore!

Can't tolerate it.

Time for medical marijuana!

by Drunkreply 1504/11/2013

Happened to me as well after I was nearly killed with a hammer to the head. Dang I miss it.

by Drunkreply 1604/11/2013

I have never been much of a drinker, other than a bit in college. After that maybe a glass of wine here and there, rarely beer. Probably the most alcohol I have consumed has been in food as I cook with wine a lot.

For me to have 2 drinks in a month would have been about average.

So this past fall, I had a beer on Friday and then a margarita on Saturday at a party. I hadn't had a drink for weeks before that, and I didn't even finish the beer because I don't really like it. After drinking about half of the margarita I started getting terrible pain, similar to a gall bladder attack, but worse. Nothing I did helped, and I finally had to go the ED. I was moaning and groaning and contemplating hitting my head on the wall to knock myself out due to the pain. They ran some tests and the doc comes back and tells me I have pancreatitis, which is common in alcoholics. Of course, he starts to question me, doesn't believe me, and my partner is getting pissed.

They gave me good drugs, and ended up sending me home, the next day. I felt bad for a few days, lost my appetite, lost a bunch of weight (silver lining I guess). At my follow up visit my regular doctor told me no more alcohol. My liver and pancreas are messed up, I guess, but not sure why. But now I can't drink, take tylenol or other meds that are damaging to the liver, and even though I am normal weight, they want to me to lose 10 more pounds as I had fatty deposits on my liver.

Still no idea of why. My regular dr knows I am not a drinker, and his best guess is "bad luck" or genetics.

Anyway, I don't really miss having alcohol except for a bit of wine here and there.

I was at a Whole Foods wine tasting with some friends, and went ahead and 3 tiny tastes of wine. You know, those little tiny cups, like what they used at Church Communion when I was a kid? Well, I kid you not, those 3 little swallows of wine, had me loopy after going nearly 6 months without any.

I am low carbing it too as high carbs are hard on the liver/pancreas, I have been told, so not sure if it is just because it had been so long, or because of the low carb thing.

Moral of the story, Alcohol affects everyone differently. Never in a million years would I have thought that it was doing anything to my liver. And it probably wasn't but now that I have issues with my liver for other reasons, even one full drink could add to the damage.

by Drunkreply 1704/12/2013

R17 Do you take a lot of Tylenol? Because that can really fuck up your liver. I am surprised your doc did not mention that.

by Drunkreply 1904/12/2013

Funny, I've had the opposite experience. In my late 40s I found that alcohol was rarely giving me a buzz (unless, of course, I drank a lot - which I rarely ever did and wasn't going to start doing more), so much so that I rarely drink anymore because I've never been particularly interested in the taste and I sure don't need the calories.

by Drunkreply 2104/13/2013

bump.

OP here. Doctor was no help. Nothing else apparently going on helath-wise.

Still can't drink more than one drink or else I'm totally BLOTTO.

Sucks.

by Drunkreply 2202/15/2014

[quote]Is it a symptom of something else?

Yes, alcoholism.

by Drunkreply 2302/16/2014

try the liver cleansing diet and the supplement Liva-tone Plus

by Drunkreply 2402/17/2014

Not drinking enough water will cause this problem with no other signs of health problems. This is what i was told was wrong with me when I had a similar issue and it totally makes sense for me because I have a really bad habit of not drinking enough water and had made myself slightly but chronically dehydrated. However when I get back in my routine for keeping myself hydrated, my tolerance goes way up but the chance of hangover goes way down.

by Drunkreply 2501/15/2015

[quote] Has anyone else had this happen? Is it a symptom of something else?

It means you've become OLD and BORING.

Go to bed, Grandma!

by Drunkreply 2601/15/2015

I'm 17 and I'm here because the same thing has happened to me. I know I shouldn't know this, but I used to have a really high alcohol tolerance, like it would take effort to feel tipsy. Now? Half a pint and I'm out. I'm on my way back from a party now, where I had ONE Smirnoff ice at about 10:30 (it's 12:45 now) and I can barely walk straight. After reading this I am worried, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

by Drunkreply 2701/31/2015

I drink anywhere between 12 and 50 beers a day seriously and have for years now im 40 . Now I cant drink 6 without getting hammered. No weight loss, aint noticed being yellow or anything just getting drunk super fast. Any clues?

by Drunkreply 2806/10/2015

It's NORMAL for one to lose some tolerance for alcohol as they age. What's happening to you, OP, is what happens to most everyone. No reason necessary.

by Drunkreply 2906/10/2015
Need more help? Click Here.