Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jane Fonda has a black daughter?

I take it she is adopted? I see they are doing Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 5004/13/2013

Puh-leeze... That was such a crock of shit. The facts are completely different than the way it's protrayed. The girl was 16. She wasn't abandoned by her family. She basically ran away from home with help of Jane- who gave her a place to crash.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

In the clip I saw, Jane and her black daughter acted like they barely knew each other.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

I'm still setting the trends, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

I didn't watch it but I saw the commercial too and heard Jane say something like, "It's totally normal to me, I don't know people who don't have a black daughter!" Bitch, please. Doesn't Carly Simon or Elizabeth Montgomery actually have an adopted black kid and not just someone trotted out for Miss O? I know Elizabeth is dead now but I swear one of them had one.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

Jane Fonda was really involved with the Black Panthers at one time. I think her involvement with this girl stems from that somehow.

Anyway, I can't stand Jane Fonda. She's always seemed like something is very wrong with her, and I'm not even referring to her "Hanoi Jane" period. The fact that she's always been an asswipe for men is what I've always found disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2013

Jane did NOT invite said daughter to her birthday party in Argentina

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2013

She should get together with Tom Cruise. He's got that issue too.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2013

UGH! this is R11, I misspelled, insult! I press the post button too fast, LOL!

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2013

What was the point of the interview?

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

[quote]the soldiers who were protecting you or your parents and were in Viet Nam

Protecting us from what? Most of my highschool classmates who weren't in jail were drafted & most of them died in Viet Nam. Their mothers & widows & orphans & friends didn't believe that they died while "protecting" anyone -- the only people who talked like that were politicians trying to sell an unjustifiable war.

Which has nothing to do with Jane Fonda & the merits of what she did, but I really hate to see that pitiful exercise in failed foreign policy glorified.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

[quote] the soldiers who were protecting you or your parents...

Yes, because we were in imminent danger of being attacked by the North Vietnamese.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

[quote]Most of my highschool classmates who weren't in jail were drafted & most of them died in Viet Nam

I call bullshit on this. Or you went to a very small and extraordinarilly unlucky school.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

[quote]It's like she yanked a black kid from nowhere and used the kid for a positive PR image to say, see Oprah!

If she wanted PR she would have used the girl years ago. Instead, most people didn't even know Jane had taken in that kid. I certainly didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

Shut the fuck up about Jane Fonda, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. She did not commit treason. She has explained the thing a zillion times, and other people have explained it, and if the government could've prosecuted her, you bet your ass they would have. But the FBI dropped the whole thing. Because she did not commit treason. If you believe the bullshit that a bunch of focacta online sites post about her giving names of soldiers to the North Vietnamese to be tortured. . . Then you're an idiot. There are a bunch of crazy online sites that lie about Fonda, just like there are crazy online sites that lie about homosexuals. Would you believe what the Westboro Baptist Church has to say about homosexuality? The websites that post "evidence" of Fonda's treason are as sane and reliable as the WBC.

I'm not saying Fonda is perfect, or even likable. I have a feeling she's kind of exhausting, personally. And she is a product, she has become a household product, she sells herself. Like a lot of movie stars. She was born rich, she stayed rich. She's a product of upper middle class white American privilege, and she knows this, but she also doesn't always seem to be aware of when her privilege is doing the talking for her.

But so what?

The point is that she didn't commit treason, and that she was RIGHT about Vietnam, we had no business being there, and the people who should now be in jail - the ones who aren't dead and rotting in hell - are the members of the US government who lied to us and sent our kids there to die.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

Wonder how Ted Turner got along with the daughter?

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

The daughter says she viewed Turner with affection and thought of him as a father figure, so much so she didn't want to hear anything negative about him from Jane when they were divorcing.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

I believe she is one of those people who take on the beliefs of the current man in her life. She might not have any original opinions. I have known many people like this over the years. They are like chameleons....changing their colors depedning on their surroundings (and people within those surroundings). I'm not falulting her, just saying I never thought she was very insightful. She cerrtainly has very little humor. But damn looked hot at the OSCARS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

"The daughter says she viewed Turner with affection and thought of him as a father figure, so much so she didn't want to hear anything negative about him from Jane when they were divorcing.'

That sounds like a lot of PR bullshit. Ted Turner a "father figure" to a black girl? I find that VERY hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2013

One of the few things one can always count on at Datalounge is that people will do things for "publicity".

Jane Fonda has in excess of $250M, a couple of Oscars, and works whenever she wants. She isn't a fucking Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2013

"I can't stand Jane Fonda. She's always seemed like something is very wrong with her, and I'm not even referring to her "Hanoi Jane" period."

I don't like her either, and I think it's because she has a very weak, other-directed personality.

Every few years she announces that she's finally found something that gives her the inner strength and peace she's always lacked - exercise, Christianity, a new husband, political activism, etc. She's always looking for attention and approval, and always outside herself. And it never works for long, and she's always after a new panacea.

by Anonymousreply 2504/11/2013

OP, thanks for starting this thread. I was looking through some magazine, and I saw a photo from the interview: Jane with her (black) daughter. It almost looked like a bad joke, like she pulled this adult woman into the studio to sit next to her.

by Anonymousreply 2604/11/2013

This is like when Rose and Blanche joined the big sisters club and Blanche was happy she got a black one.

or when

This is like when Mary and Sue Ann joined the big sisters club and Sue Ann was happy she got a black one.

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2013

I do not dislike Jane Fonda, but I'm not a big fan either. I found the "black daughter" thing laughable and sad. Pure exploitation. Ted loves the chocolate though, but for other purposes-see Marlo Hampton from last season RHOA. Her billionaire sugar daddy who allowed her to spend like Marie Antoinette with a Black Amex card was none other than Ted.

My father couldn't get over his "Hanoi Jane" hatred if she personally came and offered to blow him. I understand that she has apologized, and he does too. But for you young'uns, picture if Susan Sarandon had flown to Pakistan and sat on Osama Bin Laden's lap after 9/11. Military folks whose lives were on the line just don't understand cavorting humorously with the enemy while Americans were in prisons and humping the boonies.

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2013

I recall seeing Jane and her black daughter years ago on TV. I consider the new Jane of the last few years one time frame. The daughter sighting was from a precious trip to the surface of public view.

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2013

I get what you're saying, R28, but your analogy is flawed. Osama bin Laden was directly, provably responsible for the attacks on 9/11. The US itself was attacked that day--literally, not figuratively. Even the most liberal Hollywood star wouldn't have cozied up to OBL. Maybe a libertarian like Rand Paul would have.

What did the North Vietnamese do to American citizens to warrant our involvement over there?

BTW, does this reflexive Jane Fonda hatred apply only to white veterans? Yes, it's anecdotal, but I know dozens of black Vietnam veterans, and am related to 5-7 others. None of them has ever slated JF for her actions; the few who even mentioned it said she was a dizzy rich white girl trying to be "bad." They said they had bigger, more pressing concerns, both in 'Nam and after their return home.

The atrocities they witnessed and/or were ordered to participate in/clean up/live with, made a silly movie star's antics as important as a fly you don't even bother swatting away. That shit was evil.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2013

[quote] [R9], the soldiers who were protecting you or your parents

Not one soldier in Vietnam was protecting me or my parents.

Vietnam never attacked the US. The soldiers in Vietnam were protecting the military-industrial complex that Eisenhower warned of. Perpetual war = perpetual use of horrifically expensive weapons. Weapons dealers make billions. Without war, their weapons don't get used, ergo they must create war so their weapons get used and the government buys new ones.

That's what Vietnam was about. It's what Iraq (Parts I and II) and Afghanistan are about. But it's even higher stakes now, because we destroy infrastructure and then replace it with the infrastructure provided by contractors. We've cut out the middle man (the military) in many cases and deal with private contractors for much of our wars. That's why Rumsfeld went into Iraq with too few soldiers. He thought the war part would be easy; the rebuilding would be underway and the contractors would be making billions in no time with the minimum number of US military being used as a public-funded security force for the contractors.

This is what our wars arre about. They're not about heroes fighting for justice or democracy or freedom. They're about spending taxpayer money to enrich arms dealers, oil companies, telecommunications companies and other private war contractors.

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2013

[quote] Her arrogance did cost American soldiers loss of respect by Americans and did add to resentment United States soldiers received returning home from Viet Nam conflict.

Bullshit. The media covered Jane Fonda because she was sexy and controversial. The American public didn't give two shits about her political views. She was the Kardashians, the Paris Hilton, the Lindsay Lohan of her day all rolled into one. Americans beg the media to stop reporting on these publicity-seeking trolls, but it does no good. I was around during the Vietnam War and didn't know one person who cared about what Jane Fonda did or said. For that matter, we also didn't care what John Wayne or Bob Hope said, either.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 3504/11/2013

"Her arrogance did cost American soldiers loss of respect by Americans and did add to resentment United States soldiers received returning home from Viet Nam conflict."

No. The war itself did that. There were war protests, anger and disrespect towards the soldiers and the U.S. long before she went to Hanoi. And nobody fucked up America more in that era than Nixon did with Watergate. I love how rightwingers always blame their own misdeeds on their opponents, and stick to the lie decades after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 3604/11/2013

re: I love how rightwingers always blame their own misdeeds on their opponents,

We're talking here about Jane Fonda's misdeeds.

by Anonymousreply 3704/11/2013

[quote]Jane Fonda was really involved with the Black Panthers at one time. I think her involvement with this girl stems from that somehow.

I think the same thing. I really do. Jane Fonda was in really deep with the Black Panthers for a while.

Her 'pseudo daughter' wrote a book and was able to be interviewed by Oprah because her 'pseudo mother' is Jane Fonda and Oprah digs Jane Fonda for whatever reason.

The Amazon listing of the book reads interesting. Rather sad story if anything, really.

by Anonymousreply 3804/11/2013

r34, Fonda was NOT like the Kardashians. She was a great actress. At that point in her career, '69, '70, '71, she was the acknowledged leading actress of her generation. "No young actress today can touch her," Pauline Kael said, after KLUTE. Jack Lemmon told her on TV, after they made THE CHINA SYNDROME (which was 1979) that she was the most talented actress of her generation.

She is astonishing in THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? and in KLUTE.

No Kardashian comes anywhere near her.

Indeed, she has more Oscar nominations than any living actress after Meryl Streep - 7 nominations altogether, 6 of them for Best Actress: HORSES, KLUTE, JULIA, COMING HOME, CHINA SYNDROME, THE MORNING AFTER; and one for Supporting in ON GOLDEN POND. Streep, K. Hepburn, Bette Davis, Geraldine Page, and Greer Garson are the only women who have more Best Actress nominations. Ingrid Bergman has 6 and Sissy Spacek has 6.

It is possible to argue that Fonda was *the* dramatic American actress from '69 to about SOPHIE'S CHOICE.

What the fuck does a Kardashian have to compare to that?

by Anonymousreply 3904/11/2013

The interview was pretty boring. Mary, the daughter, moved in with Jane when she was 16. Oprah really seems taken with Jane. She asked some dumb questions.

by Anonymousreply 4004/11/2013

And by the way, she did not just ARRANGE to have herself a black daughter so as to get interviewed by Oprah, or whomever. She was pals with Black Panthers in the early '70s - gave it up because they bugged her and/or she bugged them - ended up asking somebody's daughter to live with her and Tom Hayden in Santa Monica in the '70s. Her son Troy Garrity is married to a black woman, and at their wedding, Tom Hayden - kind of a jerk! - said, like, "This is another step in the direction of finally eradicating the white race from the planet." My guess is that the Fonda/Haydens did a fair amount of icky liberal pandering to black people, at the time, but: that was the way of most white liberals at the time. And none of it erases the simple fact that the women lived with Fonda and Hayden throughout her adolescence.

by Anonymousreply 4104/11/2013

Jane Fonda had one of the highest rated "Oprah's Masterclass" episodes. That's a good reason why this interview happened. They believed they possibly could have lightening strike twice. Rosie O'Donnell, who had a show on OWN, has been friends and an admirer of Jane's for a long time. Anyway, I watched the entire interview. I never knew she had a black daughter. The daughter said many things that the black community doesn't want said in public especially in front of white people. I was surprised by the cander. The daughter knew how what she said would be taken by black people and said a few positive things about the Black Panthers and her mother to show that she hasn't abandoned her "blackness."

by Anonymousreply 4204/11/2013

For fuck's sake, shut up about Jane Fonda in the 1960s and early 1970s, please. Only idiots talk like the phony "patriots" on this thread, fuming over a despicable war long since discredited. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4304/12/2013

r39, can you please become the Fonda Troll?

I would love to see you and Streep Troll head to head.

by Anonymousreply 4404/12/2013

Jane Fonda doesn't need a troll.

Yes, and seriously, shut the fuck up you idiots about Fonda's "war record." She was right, we should not have been there, and everyone knows it.

by Anonymousreply 4504/12/2013

What makes you think Mary said phony stuff about the Panthers? She wasn't trying to say stuff to make black people feel good.

by Anonymousreply 4604/12/2013

[30] I think the original attack was on Afghanistan which had been happily housing OBL. So I made my analogy based on that.

But even if we had never entered Afghanistan, and barreled into Iraq from the jump, if your son/daughter was in country serving, could you not see how her laughingly cavorting with the Hussein boys, Uday and Qusai would have caused your bile to rise? Even if the invasion was pure bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 4704/12/2013

She's a product of upper middle class white American privilege,

R18 are you for real? Have you ever been to Beverly Hills? Millionaires and Billionaires ARE NOT UPPER MIDDLE CLASS. They are way above the Upper Middle Class level.

BTW, the rich and famous get away with everything, and if they do get arrested for any crime, it's a very short sentence or a bit of community service has to be served. Jane came from a background of privilege,which gave her a pass. Most likely the FBI ignored her crap because who her daddy was ,and the arena of fame that she was a part of.If everyday working class, middle class people did the same thing, they would without a doubt, be prosecuted for treason and given a sentence.

I think the only time in American history when no one was off limits, famous or not, was during the 50s McCarthy hearings and the Red scare.

by Anonymousreply 4804/12/2013

r48, I get your point, I guess. Henry Fonda wasn't a billionaire, though, even when you adjust incomes for passage of time. . .

It's true that Jane Fonda inherited money from her dead mom and so had a trust fund she could spend when she was 21. Of course, she gave most of that money to Roger Vadim! Who was a compulsive gambler.

She's a complicated character.

I never know where to draw the line between "upper middle class" and "rich." Fonda went to Emma Willard in upstate NY, and I'm sure that a lot of her classmates would have qualified as upper middle class in the early '50s.

Henry Fonda was appearing mostly on Broadway at the time - MISTER ROBERTS! POINT OF NO RETURN! Indeed, he didn't work in movies really from '48 to '55, from FORT APACHE to MISTER ROBERTS (he narrated a short documentary; he showed up for 35 seconds in a film noir with Franchot Tone, a cameo appearance, don't ask me why, along with Dietrich, John Carfield, Brenda Frazier, Burgess Meredith, Everett Sloane: they must've all been friends with the director, Fletcher Markle, who was married to Mercedes McCambridge. . .): and there's a suggestion that maybe he stayed away from Hollywood because of the black list, maybe he was vaguely floating around that list as a possible name. . .

Anyway, so I'm guessing he wasn't making a ton of dough in the late '40s, early '50s. Certainly not the kind of money film stars make today.

Jane's mom killed herself in like 1949, and she was an heiress, and she left Jane a bunch of dough that Jane got after she turned 21.

by Anonymousreply 4904/12/2013

What R48 said!

by Anonymousreply 5004/13/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!