Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Princess Diana - Margaret Thatcher - Joan Collins - Best British Lady of the 80s!

England of the 190s was defined to the rest of the world by three globe-girdling divas. Diana, Princess of Wales, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Dynasty star Joan Collins.

Which British Lady defined the 80s the best?

by Anonymousreply 1804/12/2013

The 80s in America was all about sham wealth and conspicuous displays of consumption. None of it was real, people pretended to be living large all the while running up insane debt buying tacky useless items which were promptly forgotten and discarded. Joan Collins the person did not exemplify this, but the character she played did.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

Speaking as a british woman of the 80s I can say that they were all woefull rolemodels, each falling into a cliche - The 'little girl lost - please love me', the 'I must me more of a man than the men - but with a simpering voice and a twin set' and the 'tart'. Although by being both feminine, sexually liberated and a strong business woman, I would probably have to go for Joan Collins - if pushed.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

r1 is right. Alexis the character was the icon, not Joan.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2013

190s? Wasn't around for that.

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2013

Samantha Fox

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2013

Pete Burns

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2013

Di by a mile for a hundred reasons but mostly because her presence was overwhelming. Her face was everywhere, her every move was "news".

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2013

Annie Lennox and Kate Bush beat all three of them; they ruled global pop culture at a time when unique, uncompromising artists still had a chance to do so.

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2013

Comparing a soap opera actress to royalty and the first female Prime Minister is a bit much, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2013

[quote] England of the 1980s was defined to the rest of the world by three globe-girdling divas. Diana, Princess of Wales, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and Dynasty star Joan Collins.

This was the opinion of Tina Brown.

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2013

All three were mentioned in the execrable 'Wrap Her Up' by Elton John.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

Diana, no question.

Joan Collins was not Alexis Carrington. No TV character will ever wield the influence that a Prime Minister would. Most princesses, even even those (presumed) destined to be a Queen Consort, have that much influence either, but Diana was an exception. She was a cultural, global phenomenon.

Maggie Thatcher? Not so much. Yes, she had influence, but it was derived largely from her office and position. The masses never worshipped her. She was (and remains) a polarizing figure.

I love Joan Collins but she was just a TV star and tabloid fodder. She didn't launch warships or even influence fashion much. Her look was pure 80s but she didn't invent or innovate any of it. Diana influenced fashion, Joan (or her stylists and the Dynasty wardrobe dept.) merely reflected it.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

Diana was a nut.

Joan was a whore.

Margaret was a sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

I think Diana was more of a 90's "my feelings are hurt, I need to talk about it" type. The 80's were all about blatant greed and money.

I think Joan/Alexis were viewed at the time as one in the same, I remember all the stories about her legendary sex life and young blond husband, Peter something... Joan/Alexis embodied the over the top glamour of the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

Diana was the most beloved human being of ALL TIME! not just the 80s, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

What do you get when you mix Thatcher, Joan and Diana?

MADONNA. I guess it means only one figure defines the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 1804/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!