Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dr Who 50th won't have any of the old Doctors in it.

Basically 11, 10 and Donna. That's pretty much it.

What's the point then?

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013

As a fan, I am disappointed.

As a rationalist, I understand. The 20th century doctors are old men now, and we know damn well that they regenerated before they ever appeared to be that old.

Still, couldn't they ask the actors to do guest shots or cameos for the 50th anniversary season? I still love Baker and McCoy.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

[quote] Still, couldn't they ask the actors to do guest shots or cameos for the 50th anniversary season? I still love Baker and McCoy.

Yes this exactly. It would have been a nice homage, FFS. Even if they only had a cameo. BBC is kind of slapping the fans down on this one, IMO.

I would also like to see River Song in there interacting with both 10 and 11 but it looks like that's a no go as well.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

?

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

None of the surviving old Doctors look even remotely like they did back then, in fact Peter Davidson doesn't even sound like the same person. They would be barely recognisable to anyone under 25 so maybe that's why the decision was made to exclude them. They might do something with photographs in the background as I think they've done before. I'd like to see some reference made to them, acknowledge their existence but I don't hold out much hope.

I know David Tennant is a huge fan of the old series so maybe he'll persuade them.

I'd like to see some references to the various Masters too. John Sim was brilliant, Derek Jacobi his usual wonderful self, but no-one brought as much maniacal glee to it as Roger Delgado.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

David Tennant and Billie Piper are confirmed but Catherine Tate? I didn't hear of that. Christopher Eccleston wants nothing to do with the show and there are conflicting reports about whether or not he was actually asked to appear. Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker were at some convention and McCoy sounded genuine hurt when he replied that no Doctors from the old show had been asked, although he understood that none of them look the same as they did. Also, River Song is to reappear later on in this series of shows so her coming back for the 50th isn't really that big.

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2013

So it's not really a true anniversary celebration of the show is it? It's no a cumulative look back at all.

It's just another show with a few extra guest stars—that are big enough for BBC to make some money off the show's legend.

Meh.

As far as River Song, Alex Kingston is doing some nerd festival in Melbourne this weekend so i'm sure she'll be asked about it and confirm he non-presence in the "anniversary" show.

by Anonymousreply 604/11/2013

[quote]Christopher Eccleston wants nothing to do with the show

Why is that? Does that have something to do with why his tenure as the Doctor was so brief?

by Anonymousreply 704/11/2013

r7, Christopher reportedly only wanted to play the Doctor for a season because he didn't want to become too identified with the role.

by Anonymousreply 804/11/2013

They wouldn't have to bring in the older Doctors as Doctor doctors. They could have given them some sort of cameos as a group of consulting physicians in lab coats or something.

by Anonymousreply 904/11/2013

It's doubtful Catherine Tate would be in it as she started filming her new sitcom the same week the 50th started filming.

Chris Eccleston very nearly was in the 50th - he had some meetings with Moffat and it was a very close thing, he was so close to saying yes, but ultimately it didn't work out.

There have been hints that previous Doctors will be seen in paintings. A reliable source reported that the First and Second Doctors will appear in some capacity, but that might mean paintings, archive footage, or appearances in 7B leading up to the special but not the special itself.

Considering the monster in the 50th, I really hoped the returning characters are the real characters - but I can't believe Moffat would pull that stunt.

by Anonymousreply 1004/11/2013

Maybe it's the optimist in me, but perhaps everyone's just lying? Secrecy and all that stuff. Originally Piper said she wasn't going to be in it and now there's been sightings. We're all being Mofucked! But really, I think the old doctor's won't be in it, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 1104/11/2013

Remember they are trying to cover up exactly what they are going to do. Filming in Trafalgar Square and publishing pics of Tennant distracts from everything else they might be doing.

by Anonymousreply 1204/11/2013

All the previous Doctors were visible as holograms when Matt Smith was introduced (after the new Doctor put together his set of clothing choices) on a hospitl rooftop in Pond's town.

This feels like it's going to be the same dud like the James Bond anniversary thing at the Academy Awards hosted by Seth McFarlane.

Why even make a big deal about the episode and instead why not do (another) Doctor Who retrospective and/or maybe even a panel discussion?

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2013

Quite a few of the Classic Doctors are out of the country doing fan cons for most of the filming period though. Guess that doesn't rule out a cameo.

by Anonymousreply 1404/11/2013

Even Billie Piper might be a problem. She looks a lot more mature (not old) so I'm not sure I'd buy her as that little girl again.

by Anonymousreply 1504/11/2013

Which era would you Dr.Who fans recomend? I've only seen a few and I couldn't get into it (it was with Christopher E.).

by Anonymousreply 1604/11/2013

season 4 with tennant and tate is probably the best of the new series

i think there will be some but not all. There is definitely some lying going on. Barrowman saying he is then he isn't? C'MON.

There is the "making of dr who" tv movie and rumor is they may use the actors as hartnell and troughton in that also to cameo somewhere in the run up to the 50th...... I've heard the painting idea too and am wondering if some might just get audio or even old clips mixed in.

it is all playing with the media. So far clara is born on the same day of the first episode airing in 1963 (but not same year), and her mum died on a similar date to the auton attack in rose. So the history will be there - somethings being seeded now for later.

by Anonymousreply 1704/11/2013

I think all the old Doctors and Companions will be involved in events happening in November, like the massive fan con that's happening in London. But not the actual TV special. Because several actors have said the BBC asked them to keep time in November free, which fans interpreted as "The BBC has asked them to be free for the 50th = therefore they're in the Special" but being free for events on the anniversary itself and being in the special are totally different.

The special finishes filming in May (so being asked to keep some of November free wouldn't mean anything) and most of the Classic Doctors, Barrowman, Catherine Tate, etc. will be either out of the country and/ or working on other projects that whole time period. I bet there will be a lot more going on around the anniversary which everyone will be involved in, but the actual TV episode, I really think it will just be Matt and David (and Jenna and Billie of course).

by Anonymousreply 1804/12/2013

Thing is, it's fans making a big deal about the episode. The BBC, Moffat and the other actors have always emphasised that it's the entire anniversary and all the events and various media surrounding it that's important, and the special is just one part of that. I can see both points. On the one hand it's just one 60-minute episode. But otoh it's the only TV episode, the only real canonical material. Cons and Big Finish audits really don't compare.

by Anonymousreply 1904/12/2013

Just because filming finishes in May doesn't mean it didn't start much earlier. And people aren't focussing on what the the other units are doing in Cardiff and Salford.

by Anonymousreply 2004/12/2013

It started filming on April 2nd, and the readthrough was on the 1st.

Perhaps we don't know everything that is being filmed (though judging from the set report sites Cardiff filming has been monitored just as much if not more than the London filming), but if most of the Classic Doctors are in Australia for weeks, John Barrowman's filming a TV series in LA, and Catherine Tate's filming a sitcom, and multiple actors are saying they've been asked to keep time free in November, it's probably they will not be in the Special. McCoy in particular sounded very bitter ranting about Moffat not caring about old Doctors on Australian Breakfast TV earlier in the week.

Perhaps it is all a clever scheme to keep their involvement secret, but it seems very unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 2104/12/2013

Any opinions on last night's finale? I managed to stay off the internets long enough that the end wasn't spoiled for me, and I really liked it. The end of the episode, I mean. Thought it was a really good episode, overall, liked how Clara's impossibility was explained and love me some River.

However, there was certainly a good amount of half-baked crap. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2205/19/2013

The finale was good, but not great, and again it failed to make me love Clara.

Still, best of a weak season, and I do adore seeing River.

by Anonymousreply 2305/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.