Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Glenda Jackson RIPS Thatcher to shreds!

God, I love this woman. Breathtaking speech. The woman was ON FIRE.

by Anonymousreply 10303/06/2014

Glenda born Glen

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

I love the way she says "Hogarth" at around 3:00. Very "don't fuck with me".

It's a shame that no one in the U.S. government could have had the balls to say similar things when Reagan passed.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

She's the coolest. She makes Tilda Swinton look like Anne Hathaway as far as her Oscar(s) go.

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

I was more impressed with the Speaker.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

That was awesome. She didn't back down when those Tory pigs tried to drown her out. A true actress! I feel like Bette and Joan were standing up there with her. She was not alone and she knew it.

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2013

It would have been a better story if she had gotten ahold of the poor old woman's body and ripped it to shreds. On television. Amid the cheers of hundreds of chavs who weren't even born when she was destroying their country.

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2013

She's still easily the best actor to have played Elizabeth I.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2013

r2: I loved the fact she MENTIONED Hogarth. I'll bet most Tories didn't know what the fuck she meant.

Most US "Liberal" politicians are milquetoasts when it comes to Saint Ronnie.

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2013

At first I considered that this might have been gratuitous and inappropriate, but the speaker made it clear to me that it wasn't those things at all - that the House was discussing the question of whether it was provident to pay tribute to Thatcher -

Given that, Glenda was magnificent!

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2013

ooooooooo-those teeth! Love the way she flips her hair. Guess she doesn't go by the saying Don't speak ill of the dead.

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2013

Bless Glenda, for telling the truth.

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2013

r12, you were saying?

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

The cunt here is you, R12.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

That was brilliant and reminds me that we all have a duty to participate in our government (US) and we need more people like her to do so.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

I don't get R3.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

Loved Glenda Jackson in all her movies. And I miss her. Wish she still acted...but she did give an amzing speech here.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

The only time Glenda turned up to the Oscars was to hand out an award. Pure class!

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

I miss her film work too. Brilliant speech. This lady takes no guff.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

God's TEETH!

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

R7 -- agreed that her performance in Elizabeth R was outstanding. Try to get ahold of a copy of her as Bernarda Alba, along with Joan Plowright!

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2013

Thanks OP.

I can't believe the US mainstream media and their "we don't take sides we just report the news" bullshit. They characterized MT as some kind of feminist pioneer who "reforged England". How about the evil bitch who destroyed the English working class? I hope she and old Ronny are keeping warm in HELL right about now.

Tickle-down my ass. Fuck Crony Capitalism! Fuck Tax Breaks for the Rich! Fuck the Corporations! And Fuck you Margaret Thatcher!

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2013

Glenda is not only an actress, she's an elected official as well. That gives her gravitas that the average performer does not have.

by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2013

Meryl Streep must be feeling pretty small right about now given her Oscar-grubbing interest in Thatcher. She's no Glenda Jackson!

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2013

My god, she's been an MP for 20 years now. Amazing. I remember thinking she wouldn't last.

That speech was brilliant and absolutely correct in every respect. She had Thatcher down to a "t" and if we substitute "Reagan" for every "Thatcher" (other than the first-woman bits) the speech would have been just as accurate.

Fuck you, Margaret Thatcher - we remember who you really were and what you really did.

And hurrah for you, Glenda Jackson. Fabulous actress, best Elizabeth ever (sorry Cate) and unbelievably ballsy Member of Parliament for the British people.

Also, their Speaker makes John Boehner seem worse and more embarrassing than ever.

by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2013

We All Love Glenda So Much!

by Anonymousreply 2704/10/2013

What's great about all of this is you can see real democracy in action here. There is a concerted effort to make sure that she is not canonised Saint Maggie. That the truth follow her to the grave. The only casket dance you'll see next week is if the miners can get past the military and take the corpse out for a last Irish waltz. Go!

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2013

Love her,love her

You hear the house and they don't know what to do.

You can feel them thinking Rebel,bitch omg it's the Queen.

"What is she saying because I can't hear properly because my face is too close to the floor.Will this audience never end.How do I walk out backwards?.Please please don't let me end up in the Tower,like her mother.Omg maybe she heard me.I think I am going to faint!!"

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2013

Glenda rocks!

by Anonymousreply 3004/10/2013

isn't it weird that it says 301 views, yet there are 3,500 likes? I assume more there have been more than 301 views???

by Anonymousreply 3104/10/2013

That damn Glenda Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 3204/10/2013

"people knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing"

Go, Glenda!

by Anonymousreply 3304/10/2013

Teeth! Teeth! Horrible teeth!

by Anonymousreply 3404/10/2013

Glenda Jackson should win a 3rd Oscar just for that magnificent speech!!!!

What Cojones on that woman!!!

by Anonymousreply 3504/10/2013

A superb speech, reminding the other members as well as anyone caring to be reminded that Thatcherism was a avidly applied cruel reversion to the meaner standards - as Jackson said, raising things over principles of societal responsibility and shared values - that we are still attempting to rise above. And by "we" I include the ways in which America adopted comparable policies.

Thatcher was a cunt and you can believe that Her Majesty will be holding her nose as she attends the funeral - Elizabeth, the model and standard for what it means to be British, is assumed to have deplored Thatcher's policies.

by Anonymousreply 3604/10/2013

You may contact her here. I'm sending a note of thanks from the U.S., not that she'll give a shit, but I appreciate her truth telling, defense of true liberalism and promotion of community.

by Anonymousreply 3704/11/2013

I didn't know! I didn't know!!

by Anonymousreply 3804/11/2013

Meryl! You shameless Oscar-grubber!

by Anonymousreply 3904/11/2013

Swooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon....

Wish Glenda would move to America. We need people like her...

Ashley Judd take note...

by Anonymousreply 4004/11/2013

R41,

You're never watched any of C-Spans, evidently.

by Anonymousreply 4204/11/2013

You are an idiot, r41

by Anonymousreply 4304/11/2013

Be easy on R41, as he is easily confused. He thought he was watching The Price is Right and wondered why that woman didn't Come On Down!

by Anonymousreply 4404/11/2013

R41 should watch the entire tape and take heed of the speaker's words to the conservative who spoke after Glenda.

by Anonymousreply 4504/11/2013

[quote]Most of the people giving speeches in the House of Commons this week about Thatcher have been very positive and dignified, even if they disagreed with her.

Just like the morons of both parties in the U.S. who bestowed sainthood on Ronald Reagan following his death. Too bad we didn't have a few Glenda Jacksons in our Congress at that time.

by Anonymousreply 4604/11/2013

Lack of free speech and lack of political awaress, and certainly lack of politicians with spine, thus no passionate, truthful speeches against Reagan and all the misery that his admistration wrought.

by Anonymousreply 4704/11/2013

[quote]Teeth! Teeth! Horrible teeth!

Yeah cause that's obviously the real issue here. *rolleyes* She's nearly 80 for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 4804/11/2013

I eat old people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 4904/11/2013

[quote]Most of the people giving speeches in the House of Commons this week about Thatcher have been very positive and dignified, even if they disagreed with her. All the party leaders showed great class .

Thirty years ago the conservatives looked classy and dignified when they flooded the streets of London with homeless mental patients too. Luckily rich politicians can afford cabs and seldom have to deal with the squalor their policies create.

by Anonymousreply 5004/11/2013

Yes R4, he was brilliant. It's all so articulate the way they have all these words at their disposal and how carefully they choose from.

Glenda is God, tbh.. you should see the attacks she's getting on The Daily Hate and right wing blogs such as this. Thank god youtube links to this poison to expose them.

by Anonymousreply 5104/11/2013

[quote]Thirty years ago the conservatives looked classy and dignified when they flooded the streets of London with homeless mental patients too.

Just as well the most dangerous ones stayed locked up.

by Anonymousreply 5204/11/2013

[quote]it seems like not many people were interested to hear what Glenda Jackson had to say since the benches are almost empty

1) The benches weren't 'almost empty', as can be heard from the constant barracking that Glenda effortlessly overrode.

2) Even if the benches had been 'almost empty' it wouldn't have mattered. The speech is on record for ever, and was on every news summary.

3) Hundreds of thousands of people are interested in what Glenda said, because it is true, and articulates with passion and intelligence what they think.

4) It is one of the greatest Parliamentary speeches ever, on a par with Geoffrey Howe's more forensic speech which began the end for Thatcher.

Thatcher herself was a mediocre speaker who never approached oratorical heights. Her voice was fabricated, and she knew she was speaking to a divided nation. That, after all, was her policy.

by Anonymousreply 5304/11/2013

Brava Ms Jackson.

One of the characteristics of her film and theatrical performances was that her intelligence radiated through the scripts -- it is now clear that she didn't need other people to write her lines for her.

by Anonymousreply 5404/11/2013

I guess some of you don't realize that Glenda Jackson almost lost her seat in 2011. It was such a close election that she only won by about 50 votes and there had to be a re-count. She's not all that, even in her own district.

by Anonymousreply 5504/11/2013

R55 = R41

by Anonymousreply 5604/11/2013

R55/R41 on the Thatcher thread:

I really hope we don't see celebrating and nasty comments from liberals all day.

I didn't agree with many of her policies, but she was a remarkable woman and one of the giants of the 20th Century.

by Anonymousreply 5704/11/2013

Thatcher is a corpse. Jackson just looks like one.

by Anonymousreply 5804/11/2013

R55, Glenda Jackson's more than all that; and her critics, like yourself are less than half.

She's an articulate,intelligent woman with a conscience and a soul. And she shines by comparison with her detractors.

by Anonymousreply 5904/11/2013

I spoke with an English cousin about it. She said she didn't like the speech because it become unnecessarily personal in quibbling over Thatcher being a "woman." And a German cousin said that such a speech simply wouldn't have been made there.

I think it needed to be said. Glossing over the outrage, the destruction and the debasing of human dignity that Thatcherism fostered is hypocritic. The old cunt is getting her fine funeral. Noting that she was a despicable and mean-spirited bitch is simply keeping history's inevitable judgment in mind, despite the black crepe being hung at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 6104/12/2013

Margaret Thatcher dead: 10 key quotes from Glenda Jackson's speech on the former Prime Minister

by Anonymousreply 6204/12/2013

Fantastic speech, greatly admire Jackson for giving it.

by Anonymousreply 6304/12/2013

Why didn't Glenda Jackson make this speech about Marget Thatcher when she was alive? I think that was cowardly of Glenda Jackson to speak with tremendous rage against Marget Thatcher when she just died.

Also, it doesn't matter whether you liked her or hated her, as a woman, Marget Thatcher had to break through the Good Old Boys Club.It was unheard of for women to be in a political position back in the 50s and 60s. She went through a lot as a woman.I'm sure she paved the way for women like Glenda Jackson to gain a political position.

by Anonymousreply 6404/12/2013

What the hell do you mean r64? This was a session that was set up in the commons to discuss Thatcher's tenure. It's as simple as that. Glenda had the chance to speak for those of her class that can't articulate themselves and give a voice and she WENT FOR IT.

by Anonymousreply 6504/12/2013

R65, I think what R64 is asking is why Glenda Jackson didn't make a speech against Thatcherism while Thatcher was still alive and would have been able to hear it.

by Anonymousreply 6604/12/2013

If she gets another Oscar for this...I'll kill myself.

by Anonymousreply 6704/12/2013

r66, because Glenda was on a mission to stop history from being re-written, to stop Thatcher's death being turned into Diana 2.0?

by Anonymousreply 6804/12/2013

Do you realize 10 million is being spent on Thatcher's funeral alone? Glenda HAD TO MAKE THIS SPEECH.

by Anonymousreply 6904/12/2013

Glenda Jackson became an MP in '92, two years after Thatcher had been sacked by her own Cabinet.

When she left, politicians wanted to get on with making the best of the post-Thatcher battlefield, not waste yet more time in discussing her. Why should they? Politics and the debate had moved on, with indescribable relief.

Of course when such a dominant figure finally dies there's widespread discussion about the end of an era. She's back on the agenda for a season.

Glenda Jackson had every right to say what hundreds of thousands of people think, and counter the eulogy machines. She gloriously used her right to freedom of speech. As The Speaker expertly pointed out.

She wasn't cowardly. Who else spoke with such unforgettable force? You can bet that the dominant right-wing press and thousands of vicious letter-writers will demonise her for the rest of her days. She knew that.

Glenda spoke demonstrable truths, all of which Thatcher had earned in full. The Iron Lady deserved every word and more.

by Anonymousreply 7004/12/2013

I guess this means she didn't like The Irony Lady?

by Anonymousreply 7104/12/2013

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 7204/12/2013

Glenda: "You must remember at the time I was a teenager, there was no such thing as a teenager."

by Anonymousreply 7304/12/2013

Glenda singing to Walter Matthau at some tribute. Truly surreal!

by Anonymousreply 7404/12/2013

Your references are getting a bit off the rails here.

R64, nice try. Thatcher's own party threw her out - she lost the leadership challenge within her own party. That's why she left Downing Street. There was plenty of outrage over Thatcher and her policies throughout her years as PM. She tore the entire country apart. There is tons of cultural representation of this so calling someone a coward now as if the views had never been expressed is ridiculous. You're clearly a product of an American conservative mind - i.e., stupid. Even one of her former colleagues last night on Question Time remarked that Margaret Thatcher did nothing for women in parliament. For 11.5 years, she never had a single woman in her cabinet. She was such an unyielding sadist, she terrified the boys.

R68, it's not Diana 2.0. It's Reagan 2.0. The Tories are trying to tout her legacy to get people to look upon their own mostly failed policies - once again, gouging the poor - more favourably. The don't seem to realise that Thatcher is mostly responsible for their electoral decline; the Tories will never have representation in parliament from Scotland and very little from Northern England. They seem to have forgotten they're not even a majority party now - they're part of a coalition.

People keep talking about taste and sensitivity in regards to Thatcher's family but I wonder how awkward it will be on Monday, which marks the 24th anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 football fans - whom Thatcher thought of as "scum" - lost their lives due to incompetent crowd control by the police authorities and a failure to act as the stands collapsed, which Thatcher covered up in the official report because she refused to criticise the police. She actively covered up the findings of the independent investigation. It took the Hillsborough Justice Campaign over 20 years to uncover the truth and restore some measure of dignity to those who died and their surviving community. I wonder what the media will report about Thatcher's legacy on that day?

But that's how Thatcher operated. If she disagreed with you, you were branded a criminal and/or a terrorist. She blamed the poor for their predicament, demonised them as "the enemy within," called the Hillsborough victims "drunks," "animals" and "scum" responsible for their own deaths. She was a fucking maniacal sadist whose achievements - if she had any - were secondary to her zeal to destroy a section of society, the poor, the underclassses. She offered them no solution other than "get on your bike." She sold off social housing to fill her gov't's coffers and so the gov't wouldn't have to maintain the properties; she never built any additional social housing after the sell off. That's just the tip of the iceberg, really.

And people are talking about respect and sensitivity towards this socio-pathic battle axe? There's no room for sentiment here. Ding dong, the witch is dead, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 7504/12/2013

R75, capturing the monstrous Thatcher (and her sociopathic defenders here and elsewhere) perfectly.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 7604/12/2013

R75, what would England have been like without Thatcher? everyone is running around saying that she "saved" the country. Saved it from what? I was at a boys school there from 1974-1977. I don't remember a country in need of saving, but then I was a school kid.

by Anonymousreply 7704/12/2013

R77, Polly Toynbee has been quite good at characterising Thatcher's reversal of Britain's decline in comparison to other EU countries who were in the same boat and in desperate need of modernisation - and managed to achieve it without the divisive policies and attitude of Margaret Thatcher. In Thatcher's Britain, only one class of people were burdened with the pain of modernisation - the poor and lower classes.

If you're really interested, have a look at last night's Question Time, from Finchley, Thatcher's parliamentary seat. It's in 3 parts, I've linked to the 1st. Links to the other 2 in the sidebar.

by Anonymousreply 7804/12/2013

r41 must be Julian Fellows.

plenty of people want to hear what Jackson has to say about Thatcher. Consider there are over a millon youtube already.

So, r41, watch whose dick is ready to impale you as you bend over to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps.

by Anonymousreply 7904/12/2013

Further to R75. Telling working class areas of mass unemployment to 'get on your bike and look for work' was meaningless at best, sneeringly cruel at worst, because there WEREN'T ANY JOBS. To suggest there were was a lie. It certainly ranks with 'Let them eat cake' for crass indifference. (The non-advice was contradicted later when the Chancellor said that unemployment was 'a price worth paying.')

Hillsborough disaster: Thatcher's contempt and cynicism were of course amplified in her disgusting Murdoch mouthpiece 'The Sun', which instantly blamed 'drunken fans.' (The police had been Thatcher's private army during the miners' strike and when Murdoch broke the print unions, so were beyond criticism.)

Gratifyingly, sales of the smear-sheet dried up just as instantly on Merseyside, and have never recovered. Murdoch was angry at the loss of sales, but not about the reasons.

by Anonymousreply 8004/12/2013

Glenda was amazing.

R41 the reason you saw few people near Glenda was she was on the labour benches.Not many Labour people are going to praise Thatcher.It took years for them to come back from the wilderness once she was in power.

Glenda spoke for a people that have to have their say.

That is democracy and Genda Jackson is my hero!!

by Anonymousreply 8104/12/2013

[quote]She blamed the poor for their predicament

Oh dear cafe socialist darling: have you ever had any interactions with the British poor? As one of bosses used to say, "It's the lowest underclass in Europe": even the poorest euro peasant eats better, speaks better, behaves better. Thatcher didn't turn them into a scene from Hogarth, as that tired and dreary old luvvie Glenda ranted: they already WERE from fucking Hogarth! Massively lazy, chronically small minded, their moaning and misery is, in a vast proportion, entirely self inflicted.

by Anonymousreply 8204/12/2013

"Glenda is standing up for the millions of Daisys and Onslows who without government support, the racing sheet, and/or their bottle opener would be in a terrible way. Margaret Thatcher had the gall to request that perhaps they might try a little harder to support themselves and/or that they might put a shirt on. For that she has gained their everlasting hatred."

That and her love for brutal right wing dictators like Pinochet.

by Anonymousreply 8304/12/2013

R82, as I mentioned, I lived in England during the 1970s. Yes, there were a lot of people who were professionally on the Dole. There was even a TV show where the main characters were perpetually in hospital thanks to the National Health- free food, free lodging, plenty of pretty nursed to chase- yucks abound!

However, it seems that many, if not most, of Thatchers victims were the working people. Not people on the Dole, but people who actually were employed. They weren't the Onslows and Daisys, they were the Eastenders.

by Anonymousreply 8404/12/2013

Sinead O'Connor - right again.

by Anonymousreply 8504/12/2013

[quote]Not many Labour people are going to praise Thatcher.It took years for them to come back from the wilderness once she was in power.

Isn't that their own fault for providing such a weak opposition?

by Anonymousreply 8604/12/2013

Spot on view of Thatcher

by Anonymousreply 8704/12/2013

Damn link.

by Anonymousreply 8804/12/2013

Would someone kick R64 in the cunt, please?

NO ONE was delivering speeches about Thatcher for decades. She became relevant again ONLY because the rotten old bitch finally died and it became a matter of parliamentary debate concerning the honors being considered. You don't just stand up and rail over a former PM, you idiot.

And, for the record, cunt, Jackson's entire career of 20+ years has been a consistent beacon of light - FOR human issues and AGAINST the craven and depraved policies of the Thatcherites, post-Thatcherites, neo-Thatcherites, and faux-Thatcherites on the Labour side.

If you're not going to grow a brain, how about stuffing your head with potting soil and putting in some petunias? At least that way maybe you'll choke when you open your yap in ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 8904/12/2013

Thanks r88 - Thatcher looks so deranged in that picture leaving office in 1990. It's almost as if as the end approaches for these political figures, the mask slips. It brings to mind Hitler's eyes when he was inspecting boy soldiers in 1945 Berlin. There is nothing there.

by Anonymousreply 9004/13/2013

I have posted what I consider one of Glenda's finest films at the link - "The Triple Echo". This was the second film that Glenda and Oliver Reed starred in together. The plot has always haunted me - Glenda is living on a farm during WW2 as the wife of a war prisoner and takes in a deserter from the army, dressing him up as a woman.

by Anonymousreply 9104/13/2013

[quote]NO ONE was delivering speeches about Thatcher for decades.

Decades? Thatcher only left office in 1990. She hasn't been out of power for 'decades', unless you mean two decades.

by Anonymousreply 9204/13/2013

Two decades = "decades."

by Anonymousreply 9304/13/2013

Only in the loosest sense of the term, R93. Decades usually means at least three.

by Anonymousreply 9404/13/2013

Could somebody please shit in my mouth??!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 9504/13/2013

Who?

by Anonymousreply 9604/13/2013

[quote]Decades usually means at least three.

LOL. Can we make this a DL phrase?

by Anonymousreply 9704/13/2013

Yes, R95. This idiot keeps posting nonsense and non sequiturs and acting as if some point is being made. The close race Jackson won somehow undermines the fact that she remains an MP. "Decades" do not mean "decades." Jackson's giving a speech on a current topic of discussion in the chamber somehow is negated by her not giving the speech earlier, when it would have been inappropriate and irrelevant. Her choosing to speak when the chamber was full of Tories and less represented by Labourites somehow shows - what - that no one cared? The power and rightness of her reasoning are denied because not enough people heard it, despite the fact that we here 3,500 miles away are celebrating it.

I suppose the point of being "special" is not realizing when one embarrasses oneself.

But for the rest of us, perhaps a concerted visualization of kicking this demented old bitch in the cunt will give her enough of a jerk for her to take her pill and go to bed, and let the nurses' aides get some rest.

by Anonymousreply 9804/13/2013

This comment from the Mirror site really says it all about the idiocy of the right:

[quote]Glenda Jackson sounds like one bitter woman,the type that blames every else for every misfortune in life. poor thing , she must have had a bad life.

Yes, what bitter misfortune and bad life to be a double Best Actress Oscar winner.

by Anonymousreply 9904/13/2013

Russell Brand wrote a great article about thatcher. It's long, but it's really good

by Anonymousreply 10004/13/2013

R41 (et al.) has been thoroughly thrashed, what, three times so far in this thread? Can we have a fourth?

by Anonymousreply 10104/13/2013

she should stick to acting!! she s a left wing LOONY!!

by Anonymousreply 10203/06/2014

Glenda is a Datalounge icon.

by Anonymousreply 10303/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.