Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Justin Beiber's Followers Almost 50% Fake (chart at link)

Lady Gaga has the same number of fake accounts as @barackobama. She has the most active users. Beiber and Katy Perry's fakes are through the roof. Poor madbot can't catch a break...

A few months ago, Justin Bieber was crowned king of Twitter when his followers outnumbered those of Lady Gaga. These days, the Canadian crooner has 37,274,495 followers and counting, a notable achievement, no doubt. Or is it ...?

Apparently, not all of those 37 million followers are real. In fact, 16.7 million of them are what experts consider "fake" fans -- almost half of Bieber's following (45 percent, to be precise). Another 2.6 million accounts are inactive. What do "fake" fans mean, exactly?

According to Socialbakers, a company that specializes in social media analytics, "fake" followers are defined by the following criteria:

The account is following less than 50 people and has less than one follower. They repeat spam phrases like "diet," "make money," and "work from home." Tweets are repeated more than three times. More than 90% of the account's tweets are retweets. More than 90% of tweets are links and the profile has a following: followers ratio of 7: 1 or more. This means the profile is following 7 users while only being followed by 1. The account has never tweeted.

When a Twitter user has 20-50 percent "fake" followers, as in Bieber's case, Socialbakers advise to "be cautious" but add "If you have a large number of followers, it is expected that some will be inactive or fake."

What may be most interesting is that when you take these parameters into account and apply them to the top 10 most followed accounts on Twitter, Lady Gaga actually beats Bieber. He has only 17.8 million "good" followers, Gaga has 19 million.

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2013

I'm not surprised Gaga has 19 million real followers, she's done everything she can to build a cult around herself. They're probably the same sort of people who join the Moonies, psychotic, but loyal.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

Whoever designed that graph needs to be shot.

If he/she had put the "real" bar first, you could easily see who had the most real fans and fake ones.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

I thought the same thing, r2. As it stands, the graph requires a tape measure.

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

r1 = ancient butthurt qweeeeeen.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

[quote]Justin Beiber's Followers Almost 50% Fake

So is Justin Beiber

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2013

LOL r5

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2013

The article should have read that about half of top twitter accounts are fake as the fake accounts applies not just to bieber.

Then again since its in fashion to bash "pansy" Bieber, lets all join in in the bullying and set a great example for kids to mimic.

Actually since teens are the worst bullies out there, maybe they are setting the trend and the adults are trying to be hip and picking on the favourite targets of teenage boy bullies.

Congrats dataloungers for joining. Now go back to criticizing homophobic bullies and lecturing on the merits of the "it gets better" campaign.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2013

They all pad. I'm sure. But I still find it hard to believe that Beiber has over 20 actual followers.

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2013

I also suspect Gaga's instant 100.000.000 viewers on YouTube- like Beyawnce, Beibs, Timberfake, et al - are pre-negotiated by labels with YouTube/Google. Too many, too fast, too fake. It's manufactured interest.

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2013

R1 and yet with Gaga's 19 million Twitter followers, only 5.3 million bought her overhyped Born This Way album, despite 99 cent Amazon discounts and only 1.6 million people bought tickets for her BTW tour

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2013

Honestly who really follows celebs twitter ramblings?

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2013

It seems that a similar percentage of followers for all those listed is fake which says more about Twitter in general than it does about Bieber fans.

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2013

I was just about to say something similar, R10. What's the use of having so many followers when they don't purchase your albums or concert tickets? Pointless.

by Anonymousreply 1304/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!