Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Who was the worse parent? Ronald Reagan or Margaret Thatcher?

How interesting that both of these awful plutocrats died of dementia and without close relationships with their children.

by Anonymousreply 3104/30/2013

Rick Warren

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

To be fair, a hell of a lot of people die having dementia, and not much of a relationship with their kids.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

Well, Reagan's second family seems a lot better adjusted than his first that more about Nancy?

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

I think they were evil equals.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

A slight edge to Maggie, although both were horrible.

Carol is racist, and Mark Thatcher is a worse human being than Maureen, Michael, Patti and Ron put together. And that is saying something.

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2013

Well, Thatcher's children were definitely worse, but that really doesn't mean she was a worse parent, except in the sense of passing on psychopathic genes. Ronnie didn't even recognize his own son (Michael) when he made a visit to the kid's school.

OTOH, Ron Jr. seems to have genuinely liked his father so maybe the second family had a better time of it.

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2013

Dementia patients often have clear memories of their pasts (thinking that they're living in their own pasts). I wonder what kind of secrets their caregivers were privy to? And of course the conspiracy buff in me wonders if their memories were wiped clean by the CIA.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2013

Carol is limited but cheerful, and had restricted interest from her mother due to her gender.

Mark is fourth-rate, arrogant and criminal, and was indulged by his mother due to his gender.

Thatcher created three hereditary titles. One she gave to a gay politician, another to a politician with daughters. The baronetcy she gave her husband was the only title which would continue, now in the distinguished form of Sir Mark Thatcher.

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2013

Thatcher's right wing, Christian, Texan grandchildren:

[quote] Michael Thatcher, an accomplished American football player at high school, went on to study at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas, and has recently worked for a Republican-aligned political organisation that aims to “educate and empower the Hispanic community with conservative values”. The family friend said: “Michael has always been very discreet and very prudent but he stands strong on his conservative values. He has many friends who are Hispanic, and has always been a friend of the Hispanic community”.

[quote] Amanda Thatcher, who excelled as a runner at school, graduated in 2012 and is now studying at the University of Richmond, in Virginia, where she has joined the running team. Amanda, who closely resembles her father, loves baking and horse-riding and is “a beautiful singer with a melodious voice,” the friend said. Both grandchildren are, like their mother, committed Christians

The GOP is totally ramping up its efforts to propagandize Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2013

Actually the children of overachieving parents with big careers are often somewhat neglected. Nothing new here.

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2013

Thatcher 's children are worse off because the media in the UK doesn't automatically give the children of conservative politicians their own high-paying radio shows, like the media in the US does.

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2013

I went to school with Ron Reagan, Jr and Ronald Reagan was anything but a bad parent. Nancy on the other hand was quite a piece of work.

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2013

No, R11? Carol got a BBC gig and Mark was fucking KNIGHTED (for services to coup???) I think that's even more nepotistic than a blathering radio show while Rush takes a dump.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

A knighthood doesn't rake in the bucks. And it was his mother who wrestled it for him, not the media.

Does he have any sons from his second marriage? If his son Michael in TX wants to be Sir Michael, he'll need to drop out of US wing nut politics and move to the UK. I doubt he'd do that, being the fundie Christian wingnut GOP mouthpiece that he is.

Cute how he got a job being a GOP liaison with the Hispanic community when he's not Hispanic.

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

Well at least Thatcher seems to have recognized her own children and grandchildren in a crowd.Reagan didn't even recognize his.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

Ooooh I do wonder if the CIA pokes their brains w/ an icepick once they've outlived their usefulness!

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

Ron Reagan fared well because he stood up to his parents and being `the baby`they put up with it. nancy had given him a speech when he was a child about how you have to earn the things you want. Little Ron waved his hand around the living room and said "Just what did YOU do for all this, Mom?"

Michael Reagan was treated like shit. They refused to provide him with a bedroom so he slept on the sofa in the living room. After Ron Jr was born, they built an extra room on the house and Michael was excited at the prospect of finally having a bedroom. He was disappointed to find out that they were building a room for Ron Jr.'s nanny.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

I thought Nancy got very close in recent years with Maureen (before she died) and Patti. Nancy was really grateful Maureen took such an active role in helping Ronnie during the Alzheimer's years, and Patti and Nancy have long ago reconciled.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

At least Reagan didn't raise an entitled criminal and a racist.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

Wouldn't be a bit surprised if the CIA does that but Reagan was still in office then.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

Ron Reagan (formerly-Jr) is the best kid, Mark Thatcher is arguably the worst.

On that basis "worse parent" goes to Baroness Thatcher, the grocer's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

What is so awful about Mark Thatcher?

I actually started this thread only after reading about how Mrs. Thatcher was alone with her children not even in the same country at the end and thinking how Reagan had some of his children actually with him when he was going through Alzheimer's so that either could have meant Reagan was a better parent or Thatcher had worse children to deal with.

I know about Carol's insane racism but what did Mark do?

by Anonymousreply 2204/11/2013

Hey, Hitler and Stalin were poor fathers too, but you don't hear people whining about that and go all calling CPS and whatnot.

by Anonymousreply 2304/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 2404/11/2013

Mark Thatcher was involved with an attempted coup in Equatorial Guinea.

by Anonymousreply 2504/11/2013

Just check Mark Thatcher's Wiki page. He's been involved with dubious shenanigans on several occasions in which he's either been charged or escaped charges. He seemed to get slaps on the wrist in S.A., IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 2604/11/2013

[quote]Hey, Hitler and Stalin were poor fathers too,

Hitler never had kids.

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2013

Neither one of them raised me, and certainly not both, so not qualified to answer.

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2013

R27 Really? Thanks for the update.

R9 Thank heavens the Democrats would not do such a thing.

Margaret and Ronnie saved the world but neither played golf well. Thay also had poor parenting skills.

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2013

R13, Carol got her BBC gig many years after Maggie had stood down. She became "famous" by taking part in the awful I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, where all sorts of has-beens try and make a name for themselves again. After that she got the BBC gig. People initially liked her because they thought "poor Carol, she had a tough upbringing with her unloving mother but she's so fun and loveable". And then it emerged that she'a a big fucking offenisive racist, after which she was quickly dumped by the BBC.

Margaret did not award her son Mark a baronetcy, he inherited it from his father who was awarded the title a month after Margaret was pushed out of office, perhaps as a sop to her.

Regardless, Thatcher's children are both useless.

R22, what's wrong with Mark? He's just a playboy, over-indulged, never done a day's work in his life, self-centred git who gets involved with dubious company, acts as a gun runner, tries to stage coups.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2013

[quote]Hey, Hitler and Stalin were poor fathers too, but you don't hear people whining about that and go all calling CPS and whatnot.

Hitler had kids?

by Anonymousreply 3104/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!