Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

John Wayne

Do you like him? My dad loves his films. I think his movies are too campy.

by Anonymousreply 3804/14/2013

Douche bag of the highest order. He managed to get out of fighting in WW2 because of an alleged back injury, yet would brag every chance he got about how he did his own stunts.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2013

Good in John Ford movies. Chewed the scenery in everything else.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2013

Reportedly a bit of a dick, but he gives fantastic performances in "Stagecoach," "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" (his best, imho), "The Quiet Man," "The Searchers," "Rio Bravo," "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," and "True Grit."

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2013

I think he is the worst major actor in the history of cinema.

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2013

horrible

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2013

Anyone recall the story Maureen O'Hara told about catching John Huston servicing a famous actor? I always wondered if that was John Wayne.

by Anonymousreply 604/10/2013

My mom loves him. His performances makes her happy. The Quiet Man, Stagecoach, all the movies with Maureen O'Hara touch her and my heart.

OTOH, My dad, the vet, hates his guts. My dad will literally leave the house and get drunk at the local VFW, if tcm or amc has a JW marathon.

I like some JW movies. He was an entertainer. Many actors of that time and even presidents/entertainers of recent times avoided service for less than admirable reasons.

by Anonymousreply 704/10/2013

He said he was a white supremacist in Playboy.

by Anonymousreply 804/10/2013

I have to take issue with R3 assessment. In six grade, one of our teachers was under the deluded notion that kids would want to watch a John Wayne movie. They showed us "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" during a study period. It was easily the most stultifying boring film I have ever sat through. I think I fell asleep it was so boring. The whole movie could be summarized as riding, riding, riding, fellow cowboys give Wayne a pocket watch, riding into the sunset. The End. That was the film. Absolute shit and it was in black & white to boot.

by Anonymousreply 904/10/2013

I don't think he was as racist as some people think that he was. All of wives were of Hispanic descent and that says a lot. He just happened to play in those 'traditional' westerns and his figure made him very fit in them. The fact that he was a Republican doesn't mean necessarily that he was a bad or a blind man.

When he was younger he was really hot! I was surprised looking at these younger photos of him.

by Anonymousreply 1004/10/2013

Shirtless

by Anonymousreply 1104/10/2013

Younger he was a hunk!

by Anonymousreply 1204/10/2013

[quote] The fact that he was a Republican doesn't mean necessarily that he was a bad or a blind man.

Yes it does.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

Doesn't he look somehow like Heath Ledger in this one?

by Anonymousreply 1404/10/2013

[quote]Anyone recall the story Maureen O'Hara told about catching John Huston servicing a famous actor? I always wondered if that was John Wayne.

She didn't say it outright, but it was most likely Tyrone Power.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

Cannot stand to watch him in anything.

He is what every evangelical Christian thinks America is all about.

And they are right in a way: He was such a fucking phony.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

Met him when I was six years old (back in the mid-60s). He was very kind to me. I've loved him ever since. I love many of his movies, especially "Red River", "Sands of Iwo Jima", "Rio Bravo", "The Searchers" and "El Dorado." He was a very good actor, he just made it look effortless.

I saw some old photos of him from the '20s and '30s and that boy had it going on. He was fucking beautiful in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

R10, he was a racist in that he was a white supremacist. That doesn't necessarily mean that he hated non-whites. It meant that he thought whites were superior to other races and that it was the white man's burden to colonize, govern, and impart their culture upon them. It makes perfect sense that all his wives were Latinas.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

He sure worked with a lot of gays, Red River is the Brokeback Mountain of its day, and by all accounts he was good friends with Rock Hudson all his life.

In fact, gay rumors have chased him forever. Marlon Brando listed him in his autobiography as someone he had sex with.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

Cole Thornton, so far my favourite movies with Joan Wayne is 'The Quiet Man' and 'Circus World'. I liked him in that roles. However, there are a lot of his films that i haven't seen yet. I confess that i'm not very fond of his westerns. For example i didn't appreciate much, 'The Searchers', 'Rio Bravo', 'Red River'... On the other hand, i detected some good moments even in those films. John Ford was indeed an excellent director, he knew how to make a scene, but, let's be frank, the scenarios of those movies were noticeably poor. All the magic of those westerns are in the direction and in the warmth of the scenery, not in the plot. With 'The Quiet Man', John Ford surprised me. I didn't expect him to make that kind of a film. It stands out from his other movies, doesn't it? Of course even in that one, there are some elements of his 'macho' idea about the respectable man, but 'The Quiet Man' still manages to be more than that. I haven't watched 'Stagecoach' or 'True Grit', yet. These are the next John Wayne films that i would like to see.

Whoa, wait R19. You say that Marlon Brando in his autobiography claimed that he had sex with John Wayne or with Rock Hudson? I know that it is written that he had sex with the second one.

Below, there is a photo from 'The Quiet Man'

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

Campy is not an adjective I would apply to John Wayne or any of his movies.

What do you mean, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

He was a hot number when he was younger. He supposedly did some modelling before he made it big in movies and I would love to see those pics.

by Anonymousreply 2204/11/2013

Major moose knuckle-

by Anonymousreply 2304/11/2013

Actually, r9, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" won the Academy Award for Best Color Cinematography, and is often acclaimed as one of the finest color films of its era.

by Anonymousreply 2404/11/2013

Also, "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" is ranked #584 on They Shoot Movies, Don't They's list of the top 1,000 greatest films of all time.

"Of all John Ford's lyrical films, this 1949 feature is the one that most nearly leaves narrative behind; it is pure theme and variation, centered on the figure of a retiring cavalry officer (John Wayne, playing with strength and conviction a man well beyond his actual age). The screenplay (by Frank Nugent and Laurence Stallings) is entirely episodic, and it ends in a magnificently sustained series of anticlimaxes, suggesting it could spin out forever. In Ford's superbly creative hands, it becomes perhaps the only avant-garde film ever made about the importance of tradition." - Dave Kehr, Chicago Reader

by Anonymousreply 2504/11/2013

I thought that his burying all those boys in his crawlspace was the last straw!

by Anonymousreply 2604/11/2013

Who?

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2013

North to Alaska

Three Godfathers

The Quiet Man

That is all I can watch with him in it. The rest of his work is all war propaganda.

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2013

Some of the movies he made with John Ford are really brilliant and important.

STAGECOACH, THE SEARCHERS, FORT APACHE ...

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2013

My dad was obsessed with the man. I personally have always disliked him as he is the very antitheses of people like my son. My son is gay, artistic and empathetic. John Wayne's persona is none of this. He is the epitome of the macho man. In fact I like to joke that my son is Alan Alda in a John Wayne world (some might get the reference)

Here's a fact. Robert Ressler, the man who basically came up with the term serial killer, wrote a book called "He Who Fights Monsters" about his interviews with some of the worst people on the planet and most of them love John Wayne. In fact, Ressler gives a few chapters in the book to this.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2013

Are you a man or a woman, r30? How old is your son?

by Anonymousreply 3104/12/2013

Stagecoach. Never was a fan until I saw that. Love "They Were Expendable" which is really a kind of sad and depressing film about the fall of the Philippines. Guilty pleasure: "In Harm's Way". BTW, in that one, Kirk Douglas rapes a young nurse.

by Anonymousreply 3204/12/2013

He's effective in certain films, but he always said that he didn't so much "act" as "react." His range was very limited.

I watched part of TRUE GRIT on TV several years ago and thought he was dreadful - he became a total ham in the way that only a star trying to be a character actor can be.

His is most likely the most embarrassing Oscar-winning lead actor performance ever, though Al Pacino comes pretty close.

by Anonymousreply 3304/12/2013

Slightly OT, but has anyone ever seen the 1966 version of STAGECOACH with Ann-Margret and Mike Connors? I assume it's pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 3404/12/2013

[quote]Guilty pleasure: "In Harm's Way". BTW, in that one, Kirk Douglas rapes a young nurse.

Harm's Way has that great scene where Patricia Neal is wearing her nurse's uniform, and she lights a cigarette, kicks off her shoes, and makes it obvious that she plans to fuck John Wayne every which way from Sunday. Wayne's reaction of surprise turning to lust is priceless.

by Anonymousreply 3504/12/2013

Duke and McQueen share a special liquor fueled moment.

by Anonymousreply 3604/12/2013

[R10] His wives were Hispanic because he chose submissive women that knew their place.

by Anonymousreply 3704/12/2013

Playing armchair psychologist: R30 dislikes John Wayne because she associates him with her father, not on behalf of her gay son. As for the son, I think r30 had such a bad relationship with her father that she did her best- subconsciously, of course- to raise a son who was nothing like her Dad!

by Anonymousreply 3804/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.