Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Alec Baldwin — NBC Late-Night Host?

Deadline reports that Alec may take over the 1:35 time period currently held by the least watched show on TV, Last Call with Carson Daly.

So, the line up would be: Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers and Alec Baldwin?

by Anonymousreply 5404/11/2013

Wouldn't that be awfully New York-centric?

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2013

Baldwin would be a disaster of Chevy Chase Show proportions.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2013

Baldwin has a podcast which is pretty interesting. He really knows his film and theatre history. I guess they are looking for a type show like Bob Costas used to do.

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2013

Baldwin? Now that I would watch. The others are funny sometimes, but bland. Alec is an unpredictable wildcard.

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2013

He was always good whenever he hosted SNL

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2013

It would be great until he went on his first purple-faced rant.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2013

His house band will be called the "Little Pigs".

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2013

Will Seasons Eatings be a sponsor?

by Anonymousreply 804/09/2013

Will they all tape at 30 Rock? Damn no I really regret not applying to be an NBC intern.

by Anonymousreply 904/09/2013

I don't believe it. To go from being the Emmy-winning star of a prime-time critical darling to hosting a show on at 1:35 would be a huge demotion. Jimmy Fallon's show, on the other hand, might be realistic.

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2013

Well he has a podcast now...he might see it as an outgrowth of that..half hour just him and a guest of his interest sitting and talking..not a huge pressure he can tape a bunch when he wants to and go and do other things...sort of like he does on TCM

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2013

"His house band will be called the "Little Pigs".

Until they hit a wrong note, then he'll reduce them to Schweddy Balls.

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2013

Why the fuck would he want such a shit slot?

by Anonymousreply 1304/09/2013

Because he wants to interview Robert Osborne and Patti Lupone, and other people he likes...and not have to worry about ratings.

by Anonymousreply 1404/09/2013

No, I will not be interviewd.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

No, from what I've read over the years, unless it is a huge profit for Baldwin, he cannot sustain the commitment. not to mention, he will be a new father soon. I'm guessing the ole guy will want to be "daddy" for a while and tinker with easy projects like his podcasts and Lincoln center stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

He should get the Tonight Show, fuck Jimmy Fallon. But he should keep the band. The Roots are the best band ever on an evening talk show.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

Baldwin is supposed to be such a hothead. Yet in the seven years he was on 30 Rock, there was never one story about him being any trouble on set.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

As host of The Tonight Show, Alec Baldwin would be far more intersting, witty and entertaining than Jimmy Fallon.

Why didn't someone think of that before offering Fallon the job. Alec would be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

Just because you didn't hear about his temper, doesn't mean they didn't happen...

Yes, I would love to see Alec Baldwin take over, so I can laugh in his face when the fucking thing fails.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

I would miss Carson Daly, his show is one of the best on tv.

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

I just can't picture Alec doing this. He's an actual star. Wow, times have changed.

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2013

I realize that he has not been offered Seth Myers presumed seat in replacing Fallon. But he would be excellent at that time slot. He has the best comedic timing in the business, he can adlib with the best from The Groundlings Master Class, and he does in fact live in NYC. But I don't think he wants that much of a time commitment as his baby is on the way.

The possibility of him grabbing Daily's seat is a non starter. Never happen.

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2013

Wait, where is Carson going?

by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2013

He's too old to stay up that late every night.

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2013

Isn't Carson dead?

by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2013

No, he's not dead yet. He looks horrible though, like a skeleton.

by Anonymousreply 2704/10/2013

Johnny Carson has been dead since 2005, emphysema. He almost died in 1999 of a heart attack, but was saved by a triple bypass. Smoking killed him, he probably would've remained in good health into his 80s if he hadn't smoked.

Carson Daily is, sadly, still very much alive.

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2013

r24, why do you assume he's going anywhere? It's musical chairs and low-rated Carson lost. Hopefully Daly will drop off the face of the earth like Craig Killborne did.

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2013

Carson Daly is still on TV?

by Anonymousreply 3004/10/2013

He was always threatening to quit when he was on 30 Rock. He wasn't all sweetness and light.

by Anonymousreply 3104/10/2013

Apples and oranges, but he was terrific as guest host of Kurt Andersen's 'Studio 360'.

by Anonymousreply 3204/10/2013

Alec Baldwin is a much bigger star than either Meyer of Fallon.

There is no way he would take the backseat to either of them.

by Anonymousreply 3304/10/2013

This is an interesting idea as some others have already posted.

Alec's program, "Here's the Thing" for WNYC is often a great listen. He knows the guests, seems to be well-prepared for the interview and is able to take the conversation in a different direction when something unexpected is brought up.

How difficult a gig could this really be if it's an interview show and not something overblown with monologues, a band, and schtick? If it's taped in NYC, in the afternoon or early evening it certainly wouldn't interfere with family life.

I'm guessing that Baldwin's career is what he wants it to be these days - a movie or two, TV commercials (he's probably well-paid for those), some theater in the city he loves.

A nice life and perhaps this is just he wants right now; he's in his mid-fifties, will soon be new parent, so some regular "9-5" work could be enticing.

by Anonymousreply 3504/10/2013

He would be in the vein of Tom Snyder and Charlie Rose, I would guess. I love his podcast, Here's The Thing.

by Anonymousreply 3604/10/2013

He could tape the show and still be able to do theater/movies/TV. In an earlier time slot that would probably be impossible.

Since I never thought Alec Baldwin would ever do a sitcom I don't think this is implausible.

by Anonymousreply 3704/10/2013

It would be easier to keep track of who is who and who is going where if we assigned all of these white boys numbers. It's the same small group of white guys but they do all look alike.

by Anonymousreply 3804/10/2013

"He's an actual star." Well --- no, not really. I knew he was on soaps years ago but never saw him perform until 'Married To The Mob'. I was so turned on by him! Sexy, talented. I thought he was THE one that would truly become a major star in the tradition of the great male stars of the past. Allowing for the fact things changed in Hollywood and CGI spectacle was becoming the star of films and male actors merely 'action figures' to go along with the spectacle, I still thought Baldwin would make a difference in the 80s/90s. Something went wrong --don't follow personal lives of film stars so not sure what. Maybe the uncontrollable temper? Still, he was breathtaking in those first few films he did and should have had a much better career.

by Anonymousreply 3904/10/2013

[quote] It would be easier to keep track of who is who and who is going where if we assigned all of these white boys numbers. It's the same small group of white guys but they do all look alike.

Thanks for sharing, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4004/10/2013

He's not a stable enough man to do a talk show at all. There would just be no way.

by Anonymousreply 4104/10/2013

I still think John Stamos should replace Jimmy Fallon.

by Anonymousreply 4204/10/2013

Thank you r38 you read my mind.

by Anonymousreply 4304/10/2013

[quote]It would be easier to keep track of who is who and who is going where if we assigned all of these white boys numbers. It's the same small group of white guys but they do all look alike.

Always a pleasure when the racist-cunt demo weighs in on the important issues of the day.

by Anonymousreply 4404/10/2013

Baldwin's film career was hurt by the reputation he got for being an asshole.

I remember when he and Kim worked on their first film together (I think it was their first): They were a fucking nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 4504/10/2013

Why does he keep trying to pretend he's a comedian? He's not even funny.

by Anonymousreply 4604/10/2013

I don't like this guy and I blame Tina Fey for resurrecting his career.

by Anonymousreply 4704/10/2013

It was announced today that Carson's show has been renewed, so I guess this isn't happening...?

by Anonymousreply 4804/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 4904/11/2013

Yeah, R44, this is one of the important issues of the day: which white boy will head what show at what hour! All interchangeable and all chosen by white pussy men who only hire white pussy men.

You don't have to be a person of color to see this but you're busy jacking off to pics of Jimmy Fallon so you go back to work.

by Anonymousreply 5004/11/2013

When is Alec's Here's the Thing heard on WNYC? I want to tune in...have heard only great things about it.

by Anonymousreply 5104/11/2013

R51, I don't think "Here's the Thing" is part of the weekly program schedule. The program is, I believe, a podcast.

Go to and you can find the program. i loved the interview with Herb Alpert.

by Anonymousreply 5204/11/2013

Baldwin? Nightly? Can't imagine it'd keep his interest up for four-five years or more. But I'd sure like to see him try. Think he'd draw the talent, would be a good interviewer. Agree with R25, but it's a show that's ON late but TAPED much earlier.

by Anonymousreply 5304/11/2013

Just out of curiosity, when The Tonight Show began with Jack Paar, was it filmed live?

by Anonymousreply 5404/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!