Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Downton Abbey Season 4

spoilers... ish.

by Anonymousreply 3802/02/2014

[quote] Joanne Froggatt (best name ever) wouldn't go into details, but said to expect plenty of DRAMA. "I obviously can't say more than that but I think it may be the best yet and there are certainly aspects of Anna's character that have never been seen before

In other words, they're going to use the trite old soap opera trick of having a character do things that would never happen in real life. I.e, the right-thinking person with strong morals and a sense of fairness towards others suddenly starts stealing or spreading life-altering gossip about another strong moral character. Or she will have MPD and her alter ego, Samantha Bates, is an evil twin of Anna Bates. Or she will become anorexic (taken from Dutchess of Duke Street), or is cutting herself (taken from Rome and a billion other shows) or she will suddenly have OCD (taken from Girls). Or, after having sex with Mr Bates, she becomes a nympho.

by Anonymousreply 104/10/2013

Dutchess?

Oh, dear. And a red line beneath it.

by Anonymousreply 204/10/2013

Maybe she'll suffer a head injury, start wearing a wig and try to blow up Downton??

by Anonymousreply 304/10/2013

I bet she has an affair with the Irish son in law.

by Anonymousreply 404/10/2013

Well, anything beats the anti-climactic revelation that Bates' wife baked a poisoned pie and ate it.

Really? THAT was how the mystery was solved?

They also lost points by not having Thomas have done something to the Turk to have him die in Mary's bed. The man was young and robust, he blackmails Thomas and dies? Those writers do not connect dots.

by Anonymousreply 504/10/2013

Now that it's finally started in the US can we talk about it here?

I enjoyed last night's premiere....so many intertwining plots and new characters!

by Anonymousreply 601/06/2014

R7, I disagree on all fronts. He's hotter than ever, and he's involved in a couple of different storylines.

by Anonymousreply 801/06/2014

For some reason, I'm not buying Thomas being an asshole to Anna in last night's episode.

by Anonymousreply 901/06/2014

Cora is the dumbest woman on the face of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 1001/06/2014

Well, Elizabeth McGovern has clearly not had any plastic surgery. Bravo, I guess, but I couldn't believe how harshly she was lit throughout the premiere.

Will Mrs. Hughes ever be granted a decent wig?

by Anonymousreply 1101/06/2014

I'm sorry, but I am not buying how close the family and their servants are with each other. Crying on their shoulders, offering unsolicited advice about their personal lives etc.

by Anonymousreply 1201/06/2014

How did Cora show her stupidity, r10?

by Anonymousreply 1301/06/2014

Thomas the Footman desperately needs and deserves a really juicy story line.

by Anonymousreply 1501/06/2014

This show is so stupid. Matthew's been dead for 6 months. The family and servants are behaving as if it was 6 years ago. Of course a woman who lost her sister, just gave birth and found out her husband has been killed will still be upset 6 months later.

Why wasn't Branson more involved with comforting her, and by comforting her, I don't mean becoming sexually involved with her. He was behaving as if Sybil's death was 10 years ago!

All Mrs Housekeeper had to do regarding the new bitch lady's maid is say to Cora the Idiot, "She was inappropriate towards Mr Branson and I do not want her here, especially with our other young women servants. She's a bad example. And she didn't meet you here because she knew I wouldn't hire her. Clue?"

Branson did not encourage the housemaid, so wtf?

Ooh look! A letter just fell out of a book! How convenient.

WTF was with the Cheerful Charlie storyline? Talk about filler.

They need to steal more story lines from the original Upstairs Downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 1601/06/2014

And wtf was up with everyone's obsession about making former footman Mr. Moseley happy and solvent??

Can't they just offer him a decent paying job in the stables or gardens or something?

by Anonymousreply 1701/06/2014

You can really see the money being spent this season on all the new locations and extras.

by Anonymousreply 1801/06/2014

[quote] Cora is the dumbest woman on the face of the earth.

She's married to the dumbest man on earth.

And why does the puppet face guy love Edith so much? I fail to see her charm that he should have immediately fallen so fervently in love with her.

by Anonymousreply 1901/06/2014

Why the hell does Edith's married beau have to go to Germany, of all places, to obtain a divorce?

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to board the train to Reno?

by Anonymousreply 2001/06/2014

And shouldn't there be some housemaids?

Gwen and Edith are gone. Anna is a lady's maid.

Who the fuck is cleaning that huge house? Give Molesly a broom

by Anonymousreply 2101/06/2014

Obviously, the puppet face guy is blinded by all of Edith's startling new frocks!

Just wait until she bobs her hair.

by Anonymousreply 2201/06/2014

Well, Puppet Face has to become a German citizen because WWII is coming and they need some kind of implausible storyline tying Downton to Germany. Maybe he will become a Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 2301/06/2014

[quote]How did Cora show her stupidity, [R10]?

(As the Dowager takes her seat, Cora looks up.)

(The sun is rising. Cora is at the window.)

(Enter Cora.)

by Anonymousreply 2401/06/2014

I always remember Season 1 when Mary snarks: You don't understand, you're American.

And I remember thinking: if that was my kid and it was the post-Edwardian era, I'd knock her into next week.

by Anonymousreply 2501/06/2014

Mary's attitude towards her son was completely normal for women of her class in those days. You handed the baby over to a nanny and when the baby gets older, the governess takes over. You saw your children once a day, told them they are wonderful and then said, "Run along now, mummy needs to get ready for dinner."

Yet the Crawleys were all, "OMG! She's ignoring the baby!"

by Anonymousreply 2601/06/2014

Anna will be discovered to have been the one to kill Bates' wife.

I miss O'Brien.

I want to see Branson in pajamas again with that huge beefy ass jutting out. I wish I could eat his ass. Clean or really sweaty.

by Anonymousreply 2701/06/2014

Nah, I think Bates killed his wife.

by Anonymousreply 2801/06/2014

I know what the Anna "surprise" is and it's really stupid and gratuitous.

by Anonymousreply 2901/06/2014

I have to admit: I would love to eat Branson's dirty ass. And I mean really dirty.

by Anonymousreply 3001/06/2014

Laura Carmichael, who plays Lady Edith, looks AWFUL in 1920's clothing! I can't be any nicer than that, sorry!

by Anonymousreply 3101/06/2014

Is Rose mentally ill?

by Anonymousreply 3201/06/2014

I think it would be an interesting plot if Rose was mentally ill. She could gradually descend into madness, like Zelda Fitzgerald.

by Anonymousreply 3301/06/2014

Mmmmmm....Branson's dirty ass would be so yummy. I'd dig right in there and taste everything that came out of that man.

by Anonymousreply 3401/07/2014

[Quote]Why the hell does Edith's married beau have to go to Germany, of all places, to obtain a divorce?

Because, infamous are heating up quite a bit in Germany at this time

by Anonymousreply 3501/07/2014

Rose is clearly a slutty trollop

by Anonymousreply 3601/07/2014

What happened to this thread?

by Anonymousreply 3702/02/2014

Sybbie is one ugly little girl. I'm sorry, but she looks like she has senile dementia.

by Anonymousreply 3802/02/2014
Need more help? Click Here.