Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Have your looks been made fun of or praised to your face?

In grade nine, in the girl's changing room, while I washing my hands, another girl said very loudly to another girl, "Why is that girl so ugly?".

I still remember it, but it was traumatising since when I was little, I was really good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 4904/14/2013

I grew up very obese. What do you think? Back then, there weren't that many fat kids. Yes, I got made fun of. A lot. But I got over it and it has helped make me what I am today. It made me tougher but also much more compassionate to those who are different.

by Anonymousreply 104/09/2013

Yes, high definition has given new meaning to my surname.

by Anonymousreply 204/09/2013

Yes, I've been called Ugly and Beautiful. It's in the eyes of the beholder. Some people appreciate my unusual facial features, being Greek & Filipino and some people definitely don't. It was mother though that caused the most damage, she seemed to relish in reminding me how ugly she thought I was. Now, I just try and focus on being ok with my appearance. This is me.

by Anonymousreply 304/09/2013

Yes, I'm fat. People don't hesitate to say hurtful things about those of us who are fat.

by Anonymousreply 404/09/2013

I was routinely referred to as the most handsome guy in my class. Was homecoming king. Worked as a model in my 20s. Never bought a drink for myself. I think I'm barely above average.

by Anonymousreply 504/09/2013

Take it back to Canada, OP, we're not interested.

by Anonymousreply 604/09/2013

When I was in my early teens my cunt sister Julie would look at me and say "God, you're ugly", usually at the dinner table. She did it all the time. My parents witnessed nearly every one of them and never stopped her nor did they tell me she was wrong.

I cut her out of my life in 1984 and have never regretted it. If she were to die today it wouldn't affect me at all.

by Anonymousreply 704/09/2013

Julie R7?

by Anonymousreply 804/09/2013

Mother told me I was different.

by Anonymousreply 904/09/2013

My face has been viciously slapped

by Anonymousreply 1004/09/2013

r10 made my guffaw!

by Anonymousreply 1104/09/2013

Made me guffaw! I mean...oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 1204/09/2013

I was chubby throughout grade school and constantly lived in fear that I would be made fun of but mostly the other kids left me alone surprisingly other than in the 5th grade I caught people humming Mary Had a Little Lamb and found out someone had made up a song Mary Has a Big White Butt.

In high school I got really depressed and became anorexic so I lost most of my baby fat and got a lot of OTT compliments about my looks as a result... someone telling me I should be a model and guys coming on to me big time when in the past they barely spoke to me. The comments just made me uncomfortable and resentful that I was getting positive attention from other people for secretly being fucked up and perhaps not surprisingly I put all that weight back on and then some.

A few years ago I went out walking to try and lose weight and feel healthy and some grade school kids rode their bikes by and called me "Shamu." It stuck with me these years later so I guess it would be a lie to say I didn't care about the crack, but the way people treated me so differently when I was suddenly attractive and thinner still bothers me way more.

by Anonymousreply 1304/10/2013

In high school my name was 'tits'. I lost all the weight. People then told me I looked like Eddie Munster.

When I got sober, I started a work-out addiction. An old alkie told me I had the most beautiful face. Some crack addicts started razzing me because I had 'junk in my trunk' - like a woman. Oh, and a heroin addict told me that he loved the veins on my arms.

by Anonymousreply 1504/10/2013

I've been told that I have a big nose (they were right, it is big). Only rarely has anyone said I'm beautiful. My brother used to say I was ugly as we were growing up and it never wore off -- I'm still insecure about my looks. I'm nearly 46 for God's sake!

I look at women who are naturally beautiful (and they are quite rare, actually) and wonder how it must be to be so attractive. I'm envious.

by Anonymousreply 1604/10/2013

[quote]I look at women who are naturally beautiful (and they are quite rare, actually) and wonder how it must be to be so attractive. I'm envious.

Have you really thought about what that might be like? Imagine the pervs and the stalkers. Imagine the constant and unwanted attentioned you'd get by aggressive males.

by Anonymousreply 1704/10/2013

I was a fat child and it was hell. I was commented upon loudly nearly every day by other kids and I wonder why the teachers never stopped them. In addition all my Jewish relatives felt free to talk about my weight in front of me. It was really awful. I also became quite a compulsive eater for a long time, as a result of this.

I am still fat but have not endured many cracks. I no longer eat compulsively. I've been told I'm beautiful many times by various men and women.

However, on my first date with my now husband, some little asshole was trying to hustle us to buy his lame rap CD on the street. When I said no, he started screaming that I was a fat bitch as we walked away. It was mortifying. My husband politely pretended he didn't hear it.

And another time, I had a bunch of teenaged kids call me a fat bitch and spit in my face on a subway platform.

I hate teenagers.

by Anonymousreply 1804/10/2013

I've heard it all..from "kinda cute" to "drop dead gorgeous"

I suspect I'm somewhere in between.

by Anonymousreply 1904/10/2013

Mine launched a thousand ships.

by Anonymousreply 2004/10/2013

When I was 11, my mom took us to one of her friends' home, and my sister and I played outside while they visited. We were minding our own business when a group of boys came up and asked if I was a boy or girl. I was devastated, but looking back, I was pretty skinny and wearing an oversized baseball cap and sunglasses.

by Anonymousreply 2104/10/2013

I was good looking as a kid and in my pre-teen years and received compliments all the time as well as creepy stares and yes, even an adult stalker. It was scary but I was also athletic at that time so I could kick anyone's ass if they tried anything.

I started breaking out badly in 10th grade (not the pitted acne type) and the guys who commented on my looks in 9th grade would then ask me why I was breaking out. That got annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2204/10/2013

I was always told when I was little that I was 'pretty'. Some people even said I should have been born a girl. My features were very soft (always had some baby fat), and I had blonde hair/blue eyes. I'm 41, now, and people tell me I'm 'handsome'. I definitely look more masculine, now, except if I gain weight, my face tends to be the first place you see it and my features go soft again. I've never been told I'm ugly or anything like that - it was always the fact that I was too 'pretty' to be a boy.

by Anonymousreply 2304/10/2013

Oh yes. I was a fat kid. I was quite hairy as well, growing facial, pubes, and chest hair earlier than other boys. Sport success in school didn't change things. As an adult there was the Bear thing where I sort of fit in until it was taken over by refugees from Leather and such. Now I'm told I'm not a Bear because I'm too fat and have no muscles.

Result? I expect people to be cruel, I have to FORCE myself into social situations sometimes. I do stand up for others, especially at work when running interviews (I'm a manager). I tolerate none of the She's fat, He's old, That one's tie is 20 years out of date.

by Anonymousreply 2404/10/2013

In my early 20s when my face cleared up, my mother looked at me one day and said "You know, you're handsome." I almost fell over.

by Anonymousreply 2504/10/2013

I was very neglected as a child. I had ringworm on my leg and my scalp, which smelled and crusted. I had a decayed tooth chip, leaving me with half a black canine tooth in 5th grade. Since it was a "baby" tooth, my parents told me they wouldn't take me to the dentist; it would fall out by itself.

I would go for weeks without taking a bath or washing my hair; nobody in my family noticed or cared. I didn't like getting wet (like most kids), so I didn't bathe.

I got acne when I was 9 years old. Again, nobody cared.

So yeah -- I was a dirty, crusty, black-toothed, pizza-faced kid. You bet my looks were denigrated.

I learned proper hygiene from a very kind friend in high school.

by Anonymousreply 2604/10/2013

OP is a troll.

by Anonymousreply 2704/10/2013

My sister was pretty. Blonde hair, blue eyes, straight teeth, symmetrical nose.

After remarking how beautiful my sister was, adults would say things to me like, "Well, i suppose you'll eventually grow into your looks some day," or "she is the beauty, are you the brains?" But some came right out and said, "Oh, it's a pity your sister got all the looks."

by Anonymousreply 2804/10/2013

I've struggled with weight all my life, but I've never been truly obese, just 15-20 extra lbs if I'm not counting every bite and squeezing 3 hours of cardio into every week. I'm also a white guy, so my privilege probably insulated me from random drive by insults from strangers.

However, whenever I've gone from chubby to slim I always notice people treat me much better. Top notch service in any store, random strangers striking up conversations (both sexes and all orientations so its not always flirting) authority figures like cops and security guards just waving you through whatever...stuff like that. People smile at you more. Subtle, but noticeable.

My face is pretty damn cute though, so no issues there. I feel bad for those who've had cruelty inflicted on them.

by Anonymousreply 2904/10/2013

I'm not somebody you'd ever look at twice on the street, but the best compliment I've ever gotten in my life was from a poet who visited my college for a lecture (I was a peer English tutor, and she was a friend of my boss at the writing center). A grand diva on the order of Maya Angelou -- only nice -- she told me immediately after we were introduced that I looked like Lord Byron.

by Anonymousreply 3004/10/2013

My sister used to call me ugly all the time. Then one day my mom pulled me aside and told me that my sister was jealous because I was, in fact, prettier than she. I grew up feeling insecure because of all the tormenting I experienced at the hands of my sister.

by Anonymousreply 3104/10/2013

Yes, many many times... (praised).

I've done a couple of commercials... one national, years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3204/10/2013

I used to get that all the time growing up, R21. I'm 22 now and was asked if I was male or female, the last time, a few months ago. It used to bother me as a kid, but I don't really care and I'm sure most people are disingenuous, very few I reckon honestly curious. In my mind I don't look all that much like a girl, but who knows...

I used to, and still do, get compliments for my looks. Fairly often (no, I'm not Brandon). It's nice, but I've always been really awkward about it. The compliments are never, "you're handsome," but rather 'pretty' and what, I'd think, is usually reserved for a good-looking woman. I don't mind though, I don't fish for compliments so whatever.

by Anonymousreply 3304/10/2013

My looks were praised today by a handsome, straight actor who has done many commercials. Oh, BTW, we're both in our early 50's and I lost 30 lbs. in the last year.

by Anonymousreply 3404/10/2013

A drunk guy in a bar told me I looked like Jim Morrison. I took it as a compliment until he came up to me later and told me I looked like Meatloaf. I cut my longhair the very next day.

by Anonymousreply 3504/10/2013

I grew up with my cousins calling me "Ugly" and "Scruffy." I don't mean they used those words as adjectives; I mean those are the words they used as my name. "Ugg" and "Uggs" were my nicknames.

I complained to my mother and instead of her asking my cousins not to torment me, she told me I was a pain in the ass for being so sensitive and I needed to toughen up. So I knew better than to complain when they threw baseballs at my head and played a card game named Hearts where they took the pack of cards and quickly scraped them up and down my arm, making a welt out of a friction burn whenever I lost. And I always lost because they cheated.

Yet I adored my cousins and wanted them to like me (which they never did). When I got older, I smartened up and refused to go over their house (there were 8 of them) even though I was lonely. I realized they were sadistic little bastards who liked to hurt me because I was very small for my age and skinny and I couldn't fight back.

by Anonymousreply 3604/10/2013

What buttcunts, R36. Did things between ever change?

by Anonymousreply 3704/10/2013

Ugh, that's supposed to read: Did things between you (and your cousins) ever change?

by Anonymousreply 3804/10/2013

No. I'm not close to them at all. Most have moved away and I haven't seen them for years. Decades, in some cases.

by Anonymousreply 3904/10/2013

I've always tried to take care of my appearance, like most gay men, and sometimes women have called me handsome, 'nice body', 'you look so healthy', etc. Not sure how much of that is simply flattery and how much is sincere, but it's nice to hear. :)

Though I have, from time to time, been what I consider to be overweight - anything above 180 (@ 5'10") is really disgusting looking, in my opinion. The most I've ever weighed was probably about 185.

by Anonymousreply 4004/10/2013

There was one brief moment in the late 1970's and 80's when I was actually considered attractive and it was really an amazing feeling to have people not recoiling in horror or calling me ugly. Pretty people really are lucky while they are pretty, you're treated so much better, it gives you a big lift to be desired. I don't have that now and I'm accustomed to being ignored, but I wouldn't mind going back. But if I had to choose between being rich and being beautiful, I'd take the money.

by Anonymousreply 4104/10/2013

Well with good looks, you might be able to fuck your way to a pot of gold.

by Anonymousreply 4204/10/2013

I've had a few comments. The only time I was impressed was when some lady told me I looked like Ricky Nelson. I went and Googled a picture of him and my ego inflated a little. Of course I didn't believe it for a second but it was a nice compliment.

by Anonymousreply 4304/10/2013

Me like a many others will compliment an average person on their looks when we can't find anything else nice to say about them.

by Anonymousreply 4404/10/2013

Why... As a matter of fact...YES!

by Anonymousreply 4504/10/2013

I'd want my own money R42.

by Anonymousreply 4604/10/2013

My partner's mom is attractive (for her demographic) but nothing to write home about, especially not MY home. I couldn't find anything positive to say about her so I focused on her looks and made them out to be more than they were. She must get a high hearing it from me. I really can't find anything else positive to say about her though.

by Anonymousreply 4704/10/2013

When I was young my mom said I was ugly so thin that people only see my hair and teeth. :(

by Anonymousreply 4804/14/2013

I was very 'husky' when I was a kid. One day when I was about 11 I was at a white trash function at a friend of my family's on Long Island. I was playing limbo with the other kids and I heard one of the kids mothers say 'look at the big hips on that boy' and she laughed.

Looking back, I wish I had called her a cunt and spit in her face but, oh well, can't go back.

by Anonymousreply 4904/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.